The Trinity

the place to ask general questions not prophecy related

The Trinity

Postby mark s on Tue May 20, 2008 10:32 am

Genesis 1:1 “In the beginning, Elohim created. . .”

The basic Hebrew word for God is EL, and this is a singular form. Hebrew has two plural suffixes, for dual and plural (3 or more). Elohim is the plural form for “God”, which is a very strange way to speak of Him.

In Deuteronomy 6:4 we read “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD.”

In Hebrew, this is “YHWH Elohim, YHWH echad” – echad means, at its root, to be unified. It’s first usage in the Bible is Genesis 1:4 “and there was evening, and there was morning, one day” – a day made of two parts that were unified. Echad is used of one object or person, but is also used of compound unities, such as the first day. Echad is used of the married couple “the two shall become one (echad) flesh”

“YHWH Elohim (Plural God) YHWH unified” This leads us to the doctrine called The Trinity, or Triune God. This is what we find as we study the Bible. God identifies Himself as YHWH, but also is called the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Each of these are separate and distinct persons, each are God, and yet we know the “LORD is One.”

Perhaps the clearest picture of our Triune God is at the baptism of Jesus.

Matthew 3:16 “And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”

This was not the same Person. There was One speaking in heaven, One descending from heaven to earth, and One standing upon the earth.

The Father said, "This is My Son, in Whom I am well pleased." The Father recognized that the Son was Someone other than Himself, rather, His Son.

Some other verses that speak of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit:

2 Samuel 23:2 The Spirit of the LORD spake by me, and his word was in my tongue.

Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel (God with us).

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Matthew 10:20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

Matthew 11:27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

Matthew 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit

Each are called God:

Jude 1:1 Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Acts 5:3-4 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

Each acts in the same capacities as God:

Creating:

Malachi 2:10 Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us?

Colossians 1:16 (speaking of Jesus) For by him were all things created,

Job 33:4 The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.

Psalm 148:5 Let them praise the name of the LORD: for he commanded, and they were created.

John 1:3 (of Jesus) All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Gives to us eternal life:

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Galatians 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

Raised Jesus from the dead:

1 Corinthians 6:14 And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own power.

John 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but made alive by the Spirit:

Everywhere at once (omnipresent):

Jereriah 23:24 Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.

Ephesians 1:23 (speaking of Jesus) Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Psalm 139:7-8 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

Saves us:

2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Titus 3:4-6 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

1 Peter 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

So we find in the scripture that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are each individuals, each are God, and that there is only One God. There are many ways people use to try to describe or understand this doctrine (teaching) of the Trinity, all fall short.
Last edited by mark s on Tue May 20, 2008 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby bsheahan on Tue May 20, 2008 12:13 pm

thanks for sharing! this is an awesome wealth of information on the topic...
I am a son of God.
John 1:12
bsheahan

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue May 20, 2008 12:57 pm

Wonderful explanation, mark s! This should be stickied for future reference imho.

:praise:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby mark s on Tue May 20, 2008 1:03 pm

Why not leave it here for awhile?

:praise:
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue May 20, 2008 1:13 pm

Of course! I just don't want it to get lost! Keep track of it, mark s! :grin:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby mark s on Tue May 20, 2008 1:37 pm

Um, I meant at the top . . . as a sticky . . . I went ahead and editted it . . . oh why can't the cold, impersonal internet carry the inflections of my voice???

:lol:
mark s

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue May 20, 2008 1:55 pm

mark s wrote:Um, I meant at the top . . . as a sticky . . .

:lol: That's exactly what I meant too!
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Re: The Trinity

Postby Mrs. B on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:11 pm

St. John 14:6.....Jesus saith unto him,
I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life:
No Man cometh unto the Father, but by me.....

7....If ye had known me, Ye should have known My Father Also:
and from henceforth Ye Know Him, and Have Seen Him...

8.....Philip said unto Him, Lord Shew us the Father, and It Sufficeth us....

9.....Jesus Jesus saith unto him,
Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip?
He that hath seen Me hath seen the Father;
and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

10.....Believest thou Not That I Am in the FATHER....and the Father in me?
the Words that I Speak unto you....I Speak Not of Myself:
But the Father that Dwelleth in Me....He doeth the Works.....

11....Believe me that I AM in the FATHER, and the FATHER IN ME:
or else believe me for the VERY Works' sake.....

12....VERILY, VERILY, I Say unto you...
He That Believeth on Me...the Works that I do shall he do also;
and Greater Works than these shall he do;
Because I go unto My Father...

13.....And whatsoever Ye Shall Ask in My Name, that will I do,
That the Father May be Glorified in the Son...

14.....If Ye shall ASK Anything in My Name....I Will Do it...

15.....If You Love Me.....Keep My Commandments...

16....AND I WILL PRAY THE FATHER.....And He Shall Give You Another Comforter...
that he may aabide with You Forever:

17.....EVEN...The Spirit of Truth;
Whom the World Cannot Receive...
Because It Seeth Him not,
Neither Knoweth Him:
But ye Know Him;
for He Dwelleth with you......And Shall Be In You...

18......I Will Not Leave You Comfortless:
I Will Come to You...

19....Yet A Little While, and the World SEETH Me No More;
But Ye see me;
Because I Live, Ye shall Live also...

20....At that day ye shall Know That
I AM IN MY FATHER......and...YE IN ME....and I IN YOU....

21.....He that hath My Commandments....and Keepeth Them...
He it is that Loveth Me:
and He that loveth Me shall Be Loved of My Father,
and I Will Love Him, and Will MANIFEST MYSELF TO HIM...

22.....Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot,
Lord, How is it that thou wilt Manifest Thyself unto us, and Not Unto the World?

23.....Jesus answered and said unto him....
If A Man Love Me....He will Keep My Words:
and My Father Will Love Him,
and WE WILL COME UNTO HIM.....AND MAKE OUR ABODE WITH HIM.....

24.....He that Loveth Me NOT Keepeth Not My Sayings:
and the Word which Ye hear is Not Mine, But the Father's which sent me...

25.....These things have I Spoken unto You, Being Yet Present With You....

26....BUT THE COMFORTER, Which is the HOLY GHOST,
whom the Father Will Send in My Name,
He Shall Teach you all things,
and bring all things to your Remembrance,
Whatsoever I have saith unto you.....

Acts 1:4.....And, Being Assembled together with them...
Commanded them that they should not depart Jerusalem...
But wait for THE PROMISE OF THE FATHER...
Which saith He, Ye have Heard of Me.....

5.....For John Truly Baptized with Water;
BUT Ye Shall Be Baptized with the Holy Ghost Not Many days hence....

8....But Ye shall Receive POWER, After the Holy Ghost is come upon you:
and Ye SHALL BE WITNESSES....UNTO ME both in Jerusalem,
and in all Judea, and in Samaria,

AND UNTO THE UTTERMOST PART OF THE EARTH.....

3:30....For the Promise is unto You,
and to Your Children, and to all that are Afar off,
Even as Many as the Lord Our God shall Call.....

St. John 14:18.....I will not leave you comfortless:
I will Come to you.

19....Yet a little while, and the World seeth Me No More:
But Ye See Me:
Because I live, Ye shall live also...

20....At that day ye shall know that I Am in My Father....and Ye in Me,
And I in you.....

bb
Mrs. B

Postby Keeping Alert on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:53 am

The doctrine of the Trinity is an undeniable fact, from the following

1) God is ONE (Deuteronomy 6:4). There are NO 3 Gods.

2) The Father is God
3) Jesus Christ is God
4) Holy Spirit is God

2-4 has been so wonderfully confirmed by mark s

5) The Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit are 3 individual beings and communicate with one another which means to say that they are NOT One person appearing in different forms at different times as some cults have believed.

there are many passages that show communication between the different Persons in the Triune Godhead but as mark s pointed out, the scene at the baptism of Christ is one such beautiful confirmation.

Just thought I would list out the points supporting the Trinity should anyone want to know.
Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

πατερ δοξασον σου το ονομα
Father, glorify thy name.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
Keeping Alert

Postby Mark F on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:16 pm

Isaiah 48:12-16

“ Listen to Me, O Jacob,
And Israel, My called:
I am He, I am the First,
I am also the Last.
13 Indeed My hand has laid the foundation of the earth,
And My right hand has stretched out the heavens;
When I call to them,
They stand up together.
14 “ All of you, assemble yourselves, and hear!
Who among them has declared these things?
The LORD loves him;
He shall do His pleasure on Babylon,
And His arm shall be against the Chaldeans.
15 I, even I, have spoken;
Yes, I have called him,
I have brought him, and his way will prosper.
16 “ Come near to Me, hear this:
I have not spoken in secret from the beginning;
From the time that it was, I was there.
And now the Lord GOD and His Spirit
Have sent Me.”
Mark

All Scripture from NKJV

Find a seven year covenant Jesus makes with anybody plainly stated in Scripture.
Mark F

Postby sands on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:04 pm

1 John 5:"6This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. 7For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. 9If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

10He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. 11And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 13These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."

John 14:"5Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? 6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 7If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him."

Remember...John said in his epistle that the Spirit is Truth.

Revelation 19:"11And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. 12His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. 13And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. "

John 17:"17Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. 18As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. 19And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth."
John 1:"1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2The same was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4In him was life; and the life was the light of men."

John1:1"14And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."

Colossians 2:8Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: 11In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:"

1 Timothy 3:"16And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."

Isaiah 55
"6Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: 7Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. 8For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. 9For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. 10For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: 11So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."

John 8:42"Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me."

John 15:"26But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: 27And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning."

John 6:"Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. 54Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. 55For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. 56He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him. 57As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. 58This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever. 59These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum.

60Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? 61When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
62What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? 63It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. 64But there are some of you that believe not."

Psalm 119:"9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word."

John 15:"1I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. 8Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples."
sands

Postby Mrs. B on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:33 pm

The Trinity.....

Three in One.

God made man in His Image

Man is a body, a soul and a spirit....three and yet one

So God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost....Three in One
They agree in one...

Genesis 1:26....And God said, LET US MAKE MAN in our image, after Our Likeness:
and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air,
and over the cattle, and ove all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creapeth upon the earth...

27...So God created man in His Own Image, in the image of God created he him; Male and female created he them....

St. John 1:1.....In the beginning was the WORD, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.....

2....The same was in the Beginning with God...

10....He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not....

14....And the WORD was Made FLESH, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His Glory, the Glory as of the Only Begotten of the Father, Full of Grace and Truth....

John 14:1....Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God....Believe also in me

2....In My Father's House are many mansions:
if it were not so I would have told you...I go to Prepae a Place for you...

3...And If I Go and Prepare a Place for You, I will come again, and receive you unto Myself;
that where I Am, there ye may be also....

6...Jesus saith unto him (Thomas) I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life:
No man cometh unto the Father but by me....

8....Philip saith unto him, Lord, SHEW US THE FATHER, and it sufficeth us.....

9...Jesus saith unto him...Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me,
Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the FATHER; and how sayest thou then...SHEW US THE FATHER?

10...Believest thou not that I AM IN THE FATHER , and the Faather in Me?
the Words that I speak unto you..I speak Not of Myself:
But the Father that Dwelleth in Me, He doeth the Works...

11...BELIEVE ME that I am in the Father, and the Father in me:
or else believe me for the very works' sake....

12...VERILY, VERILY, I SAY UNTO YOU.....He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also;
and greater works than these shall he do;
Because I go unto My Father...

13....And whatsoever ye shall ask in My Name, that will I Do, that the Father May be Glorified in the SON....

14,...If ye shall ask any thing in MY Name, I will do it....

15....If ye Love Me....KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS....

16....AND I WILL PRAY THE FATHER, AND He shall Give you Another...COMFORTER, that he may abide with you forever..

17....Even THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH, Whom the World cannot Receive,
Because it seeth Him Not, neither Knoweth Him:
But ye know Him; for He Dwelleth with you, and shall be in You....

18....I Will Not leave You Comfortless: I WILL COME TO YOU

19...Yet a Little While, and the World seeth Me No More;
But Ye See Me....Because I Live, Ye shall live also....

20....At that day ye shall Know that ...I AM IN MY FATHER....AND YE IN ME, AND I IN YOU...

21....HE THAT HATH MY COMMANDMENTS, AND KEEPETH THEM....HE IT IS THAT LOVETH ME:
AND HE THAT LOVETH ME SHALL BE LOVED OF MY FATHER....AND I Will Love Him, and Will Manifest Myself to Him...

22...Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, How is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto US and NOT unto the World?

23....Jesus answered and said unto him...
If a Man Love Me, He will Keep MY WORDS:
AND MY FATHER WILL LoVE HIM, AND WE WILL COME UNTO HIM......AND MAKE OUR ABODE WITH HIM.....

26...BUT THE COMFORTER, WHICH is THE HOLY GHOST.....
Whom the Father will Send in MY Name, He Shall Teach You ALL THINGS, and bring all things to your remembrance..
Whatsoever I have said unto You...

John 15:26....But when the Comforter is Come...Whom I Will send unto you from the Father.....EVEN the SPIRIT of TRUTH......Which Proceedeth from the Father....He Shall Testify of Me:

John 18:36....Jesus answered.....(to Pilate) My Kingdom is not of this world:
If My kingdom were of this world, then would My Servants Fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews;
But Now is My Kingdom not from hence...
37b..To this end was I Born, and for this cause Came I into the World, that I should Bear Witness unto the TRUTH,
Every one that is of the Truth Heareth My Voice....

after his resurrection Jesus said....
Acts 1:4...And being assembled together with them...Commanded them that they should Not Depaaart from Jerusalem...
BUT WAIT FOR THE PROMIISE OF THE FATHER, WHICH SAITH HE, YE HAVE HEARD OF ME...
5...FOR JOHN TRULY BAPTIZED WITH WATER;
BUT YE SHALL BE BAPTIZED WITH THE HOLY GHOST NOT MANY DAYS HENCE.......

the Promise of the Father.......
8....But ye shall Receive Power, afther that the Holy Ghost is come upon you;
and Ye shall be Witnesses unto Me both In Jerusalem,
and in All Judea,
and In Samaria, and Unto the Uttermost Part of the Earth...

Acts 2:39....For the Promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off....even as many as the Lord Our God Shall Call....

The Promise of the Baptism of the Holy Ghost....Holy Spirit
38...Then Peter said unto them...Repent, and Be Baptized every one of you in the Name of Jesus Christ for the Remission of Sins...and Ye Shall Receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost....
The Promise of the Father.....

Three in One......Father and Son and the Holy Ghost...
We the Body of Christ.....Body, Soul and Holy Spirit..
Born Again
Born of the Holy Spirit and the Word..Body, soul, and Spirit
Those that are lead by the Holy Spirit are the sons of God...
For the Promise of the Father is to you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off...even as many as the Lord Our God shall call.....

The Trinity

Mrs. B
Mrs. B

Postby keithareilly on Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:28 pm

God is one, plural, etc.

It would be correct to refer to him as a team.
As men are created in the image of God, we must also be plural beings.

Men are also parent, child and spirit as we are created in the image of God.
When I was a child I thought like a child, ... but now I have put away childish thought ...

Psychiatry understands adult humans are both parent and child in one.
One's spirit is a less scientific term but understood to exist.

As individual men are also plural beings it would be correct to refer to oneself as "we".

Keith
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby keithareilly on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:18 am

Just in case some still have trouble with God being plural.

Notice the plural words us and our in Genesis 1:26.
Then notice the singular word his in Genesis 1:27.
God is plural and God is one.
Thus God is many as a unit.

Genesis 1:26-27
26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

Keith
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby shorttribber on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:04 am

All praise be to God for Protecting and Preserving Athanasius and the Ancients who supported him and the truth of God's Word through that nearly 70 year struggle against the Arian Lie in the 4th century.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
The Wisest men have changed their Counsels and Resolves upon second thoughts, much more upon experience, and approaching evils not at first discovered. Rev. Herbert Croft, 1675

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Find seven years of tribulation plainly stated in the Bible.
shorttribber

Postby Mr Baldy on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:25 am

GOD IS ONE:

The Father is God
Jesus Christ is God
Holy Ghost is God

The aforementioned is how Scripture has clearly mentioned how God identified Himself as it relates to the God Head. This is who He is - yet we still lack the total understanding of His Being. No infinite man can tell us who God is in a few words by attempting to understand who HE is based on our own limited comprehension. Our minds cannot comprehend the God Head or the mysteries of His Nature. Even the term "Trinity" is a man-made term used to assist man with his understanding of God.

We must recognize JESUS, come to Him and accept Him as Lord and Savior - then the ways of attempting to understand the Trinity - and/or the God Head becomes a mute point. He will most certainly and clearly open up our understanding when He Returns.
Mr Baldy

Postby mark s on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:23 am

Please Note . . .

This is not a debate thread, I've therefore moved the debate posts to their new thread in the debate area

Here
mark s

Return to Bible Study Q & A