Does this verse change your understanding

the place to ask general questions not prophecy related

Does this verse change your understanding

Postby Jay Ross on Fri May 01, 2020 12:24 am

Hello

Does this verse change your understanding of when Abraham was born with respect to Stephen's claims in Acts 7?

Genesis 20:13: - 13 And it came to pass, when God caused me to wander from my father's house, that I said to her, 'This is your kindness that you should do for me: in every place, wherever we go, say of me, "He is my brother."'"
Jay Ross

Re: Does this verse change your understanding

Postby Sonbeam on Fri May 01, 2020 8:21 am

Jay Ross wrote:Hello

Does this verse change your understanding of when Abraham was born with respect to Stephen's claims in Acts 7?

Genesis 20:13: - 13 And it came to pass, when God caused me to wander from my father's house, that I said to her, 'This is your kindness that you should do for me: in every place, wherever we go, say of me, "He is my brother."'"

Hi Jay,

Are you asking about Abraham's physical birth or his spiritual birth (birth in the Spirit)?

I tend to believe you are questioning Abraham's salvation because he lied. Is that right?

sonbeam
Sonbeam

Postby Jay Ross on Fri May 01, 2020 1:23 pm

Sonbeam wrote:Hi Jay,

Are you asking about Abraham's physical birth or his spiritual birth (birth in the Spirit)?

I tend to believe you are questioning Abraham's salvation because he lied. Is that right?

sonbeam

It is my understanding that there is no biblical information about Abraham's "Spiritual Birth" in his relationship with God.

Abraham Believed in God and this was counted towards his righteousness.

Genesis 15:6: - 6 And he believed in the Lord, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.

Abraham did Believe in God but there are two accounts told where Abraham did not "trust in God," and in both cases, the aroma that came upon the people who had taken Sarah, an anointed person in God's eyes, to be their wife, was the aroma of the second death.

So No, I am not addressing Abraham's Spiritual birth.

This is the portion of Acts & that I am referring to: -

Acts 7:1-8: - Stephen's Address: The Call of Abraham

7:
1 Then the high priest said, "Are these things so?"

2 And he said, "Brethren and fathers, listen: The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Haran, 3 and said to him, 'Get out of your country and from your relatives, and come to a land that I will show you.' 4 Then he came out of the land of the Chaldeans and dwelt in Haran. And from there, when his father was dead, He moved him to this land in which you now dwell. 5 And God gave him no inheritance in it, not even enough to set his foot on. But even when Abraham had no child, He promised to give it to him for a possession, and to his descendants after him. 6 But God spoke in this way: that his descendants would dwell in a foreign land, and that they would bring them into bondage and oppress them four hundred years. 7 'And the nation to whom they will be in bondage I will judge,' said God, 'and after that they shall come out and serve Me in this place.' 8 Then He gave him the covenant of circumcision; and so Abraham begot Isaac and circumcised him on the eighth day; and Isaac begot Jacob, and Jacob begot the twelve patriarchs.

People claim that Stephen was speaking in the power of the Holy Spirit, but do we today interpret what Stephen said about Abraham's call, with the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Does this impact God's salvation story? Do we really believe God's word or do we believe our "understanding" of "God's Word" and the manner in which we interpret His Word?

Shalom
Jay Ross

Postby Sonbeam on Fri May 01, 2020 4:40 pm

Jay Ross wrote:
Sonbeam wrote:Hi Jay,

sonbeam

It is my understanding that there is no biblical information about Abraham's "Spiritual Birth" in his relationship with God.

Abraham Believed in God and this was counted towards his righteousness.

Genesis 15:6: - 6 And he believed in the Lord, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.

Oh but there is biblical information Jay that Abraham was born of the Spirit.

Jesus Christ, the Word of God in the flesh said this:

John 3:5

Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.

We make a big mistake when we interpret the OT as though it was a closed canon and Christ had never come.
This is what Judaism does. Christians deny the Lord that saved them when they do likewise.

Jesus Christ is the absolute authority on how to interpret the OT writings. He ought to know since He was the Word
of God then and still is. He is the last Word from the Father.

Here's what the Father said about His Son at the Transfiguration:

Luke 9:33-35

As the men were leaving Jesus, Peter said to him, “Master, it is good for us to be here. Let us put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.” (He did not know what he was saying.)

While he was speaking, a cloud appeared and covered them, and they were afraid as they entered the cloud.

A voice came from the cloud, saying, “This is my Son, whom I have chosen; listen to him.”

Moses represented the Law and Elijah the prophets. The fact that they left the scene meant that their mission was now finished. And revelation/Word from God was to come directly through His Son.

:blessyou:

sonbeam
Sonbeam

Postby Sonbeam on Sat May 02, 2020 7:22 am

People claim that Stephen was speaking in the power of the Holy Spirit, but do we today interpret what Stephen said about Abraham's call, with the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Does this impact God's salvation story? Do we really believe God's word or do we believe our "understanding" of "God's Word" and the manner in which we interpret His Word?

Shalom
Jay Ross

I'm still not quite sure what you are getting at Jay. But let me give it a try.

We are saved (born again of the Spirit) by faith in Christ and we come to Him as babes in His Word not by correctly interpreting or understanding God's Word.

Afterwards, I believe a most important thing a believer should do is seek confirmation by the Holy Spirit that he/she is God's child.

Rom 8:16
The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.

And knowing this enter into God's rest. For then we will have the counsel of the Holy Spirit with us for sure.

sonbeam
Sonbeam

Return to Bible Study Q & A