ESV and the missing verse....

the place to ask general questions not prophecy related

ESV and the missing verse....

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:55 pm

NASB
Mat 12:46  While He was still speaking to the crowds, behold, His mother and brothers were standing outside, seeking to speak to Him. 
Mat 12:47  Someone said to Him, "Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside seeking to speak to You." 
Mat 12:48  But Jesus answered the one who was telling Him and said, "Who is My mother and who are My brothers?" 

KJV
Mat 12:46  While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him. 
Mat 12:47  Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee. 
Mat 12:48  But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? 

ESV
Mat 12:46  While he was still speaking to the people, behold, his mother and his brothers stood outside, asking to speak to him. 
Mat 12:48  But he replied to the man who told him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” 

:humm:

Now the NASB puts verses in parentheses if not found in the most ancient available manuscripts but to simply leave the verse out seems strange to me. Here's an example of a verse in the NASB:

Mat 17:21  ["But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting."] 

Adam Clark's Commentary on Mat. 17:21

The whole verse is wanting in the famous Vatican MS., one of the most ancient and most authentic perhaps in the world; and in another one of Colbert’s, written in the 11th or 12th century. It is wanting also in the Coptic, Ethiopic, Syriac, Hieros., and in one copy of the Itala. But all the MSS. acknowledge it in the parallel place, Mar_9:29, only the Vatican MS. leaves out νηϚεια, fasting. I strongly suspect it to be an interpolation; but, if it be, it is very ancient, as Origen, Chrysostom, and others of the primitive fathers, acknowledged it.

Thoughts?
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Re: ESV and the missing verse....

Postby Mark F on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:44 am

Wouldn't you think that the church fathers mentioning it add weight that the one in Mark is authentic? After all it's in the Vaticanus MMS at least one time according to Adam Clark.

There are others that are missing from that MSS also, like the woman caught in adutery.

I watched a seies of videos by Dan Wallace at Credo House ( if memory serves me ) that he went over all kinds of aspects of New Testament manuscript pro cons and all.

Quite informative and challenging to look at it from an evidentiary position.

It wouldn't hurt to go through the video series again, I think I saved them all to my server, I'll try and see if Dr. Wallace addresses that passage. Vome to think about it I have audio and video, I can start listening to day to the series. Would do me good. :grin:
Mark

All Scripture from NKJV

Find a seven year covenant Jesus makes with anybody plainly stated in Scripture.
Mark F

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:13 pm

Mark F wrote:There are others that are missing from that MSS also, like the woman caught in adutery.

I watched a seies of videos by Dan Wallace at Credo House ( if memory serves me ) that he went over all kinds of aspects of New Testament manuscript pro cons and all.

If that Dan Wallace is one and the same as Daniel B. Wallace...He wrote the article entitled, My Favorite Passage that's Not in the Bible. After reading that years ago, I realized the importance of being a Berean and studying scripture to see if those things we hear are so. (Acts. 17:11)

Right now I'm reviewing a series on Misquoting God: Verses Commonly Misunderstood.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Mark F on Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:25 am

Yes that is Dan Wallace, his picture is even on the article.

I use NKJV although I am not KJV only, but to be completely honest, listening to his lectures makes me struggle. He speaks quite highly of Westcott and Hort, yet it seems they may not have been quite so noble and honorable in their motives. I have looked at and read various positions and articles about them and what could be questionable things they have written.

My quandary is who is right? If the things they say they wrote are true that's not good and I must question their motives in the manuscript work they did, of the things that have been written about them are false and the things they are accused of are unfounded....

But as for Dr. Wallace, his lectures are quite convincing and very informative. As for me, I always try to look at and study both sides of the argument, his work is one side.

I started reading that series "misquoting God" that you linked to, it looks like an interesting read, thanks.
Mark

All Scripture from NKJV

Find a seven year covenant Jesus makes with anybody plainly stated in Scripture.
Mark F

Return to Bible Study Q & A