Christ set us free

the place to ask general questions not prophecy related

Christ set us free

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:00 am

Gal 5:1  It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. 

I was wondering what freedom might look like to believers. The word is found @10 times in the NT and liberty as well, so the emphasis cannot be overlooked imo.

Thoughts?
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Re: Christ set us free

Postby Jericho on Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:31 pm

Hello Abiding,

It seems to me that in context we are set free from sin:

Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed.
“And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, ‘You will be made free’?”
Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin.
“And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever.
“Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed. (John 8:31-8:36)"

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. (Rom 8:2)

But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered.

And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. (Rom 6:17-18)

Being born into the human family we all have a sin nature. We are slaves to sin because we are unable to stop sinning, rather we want to or not. But when we accept Christ we are given a new nature. That doesn't mean we become incapable of sinning. We still live in corrupt bodies after all, but the desire, frequency, and magnitude of the sin should all be diminished.

I don't think it necessary applies just to sin either. As Romans 8:2 we are set free from death, eternal separation from God. And we can be set free from mental bondage, spiritual oppression, financial woes, ill health, etc. These things are promised to us under the new convenient, even if they don't necessarily come automatically, whereas those not saved are still under the curse.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:51 pm

Jericho, you're comments are so good! You are blessed with the ability to articulate thoughts in a clear, concise manner. Thanks you for responding.

I'm a bit confused, however, by this:

We are slaves to sin because we are unable to stop sinning,

since Romans 5:18 .... and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.  implies a freedom from sin. I'm wondering if sin doesn't fall within the scope of intentional vs. unintentional. In other words, we have a choice to sin or not.

So the priest shall make atonement for him concerning his error (H7684) in which he sinned unintentionally and did not know it, and it will be forgiven him. Lev. 5:18

H7684 Strongs

From H7683; a mistake or inadvertent transgression: - error, ignorance, at unawares, unwittingly.

So, are we free, perhaps, from intentionally sinning, but still slaves to sin because we may sin untentionally since we are human? Is that what Paul implied? That we could "stand firm" and avoid sin?

It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jericho on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:11 am

Jericho, you're comments are so good! You are blessed with the ability to articulate thoughts in a clear, concise manner. Thanks you for responding.

Thank you for the kind words Abiding. It's not always easy, but I try.

since Romans 5:18 .... and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. implies a freedom from sin. I'm wondering if sin doesn't fall within the scope of intentional vs. unintentional. In other words, we have a choice to sin or not.

So the priest shall make atonement for him concerning his error (H7684) in which he sinned unintentionally and did not know it, and it will be forgiven him. Lev. 5:18

You've asked some tough questions that I'm not sure I know the answers to. One thing I do note is that verse was under the old covenant. So the question is does unintentional sin carry the same weight under the new covenant? Off hand I don't know. That is something worth looking into.

So, are we free, perhaps, from intentionally sinning, but still slaves to sin because we may sin untentionally since we are human? Is that what Paul implied? That we could "stand firm" and avoid sin?

It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

I don't think Paul is talking about unintentional sin here. In context he seems to be talking about the law of Moses:

I’ll say it again. If you are trying to find favor with God by being circumcised, you must obey every regulation in the whole law of Moses. Gal 5:3

So Paul is saying that going back to the old Levitcal laws is akin to slavery, since our new and better covenant frees us from all that. The NLT even goes so far as to translate "slavery" as "law" in Galatians 5:1:

"So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law." (Gal 5:1 NLT)
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:47 pm

So the question is does unintentional sin carry the same weight under the new covenant? Off hand I don't know. That is something worth looking into.

Well Paul does compare the Priests in the OT (Heb. 10:11) with Jesus, our High Priest. Whereas the former offers sacrifices over and over they can never take away sins, but Jesus' sacrifice was once for all time.

Again, regarding the OT Priest... "he can deal gently with the ignorant and misguided, since he himself also is beset with weakness" Heb 5:2

And the Hebrew word for unintentional sin references "error, ignorance,etc."

So the priest shall make atonement for him concerning his error (H7684) in which he sinned unintentionally and did not know it, and it will be forgiven him. Lev. 5:18

H7684 Strongs

From H7683; a mistake or inadvertent transgression: - error, ignorance, at unawares, unwittingly.

And Paul speaks of his acting in ignorance in 1 Tim. 1:13. Peter speaking to those who had demanded Jesus be turned over to them, said he realized they acted in ignorance (that He was the Messiah.) 1 Cor. 2:8

Jesus seems to have alluded to a sin of ignorance or inadvertent transgression when He prayed "Father forgive them for they know not what they do. Luke 23:34. Paul contrasts ignorance with wisdom saying that "if they had understood it they would not have crucified the Lord of glory."

So basically, I see the difference between intentional (deliberate) and unintentional (inadvertent) sin carried into the NT.

But even when a sin is committed deliberately, when repentance follows, that person is set free from the guilt and shame that accompanies sin.

some thoughts....
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby keithareilly on Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:43 pm

To know what freedom is, one must understand what slavery is ...

Paul describes a principle [slavery] as: Even though he wants to do good, he cannot do good.
Each of us must obey the laws of whatever reins over our flesh, in which we reside.
If sin reigns over your flesh, you must obey it; even if you do not want to obey sin.

Romans 7:21-25
21 I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. 22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, 23 but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.

When sin reigns, you must obey it.

Freedom means: Sin no longer reigns over our flesh; therefore, we can do the good we want to do.

Romans 6:12-14
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

Being "Saved" means: Set free from the reign of sin and death.

Romans 6:20-23
20For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. 21Therefore what benefit were you then deriving from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of those things is death. 22But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life. 23For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby Sonbeam on Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:58 pm

Abiding in His Word wrote:
Gal 5:1  It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. 

I was wondering what freedom might look like to believers. The word is found @10 times in the NT and liberty as well, so the emphasis cannot be overlooked imo.

Thoughts?

Great topic Abiding. Being “set free from sin” is an essential provision of the new
covenant.

But how does God actually execute, dispense, or administer this provision (this state of being) for the child of God?

Here are some scriptures that are absolutely crucial to our understanding of what it means to be “free from sin” under the NT.

Romans 4:15 .... the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.

Rom 5:13 To be sure, sin was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not charged against anyone’s account where there is no law .

1 Cor 10:23

[ The Believer’s Freedom ]I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial.[b] “I have the right to do anything”—[/ b]but not everything is constructive.

Blessings,

sonbeam
Sonbeam

Postby mark s on Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:30 pm

Sonbeam wrote:
Romans 4:15 .... the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression.

Rom 5:13 To be sure, sin was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not charged against anyone’s account where there is no law .

1 Cor 10:23

[ The Believer’s Freedom ]I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial.[b] “I have the right to do anything”—[/ b]but not everything is constructive.

Blessings,

sonbeam

Hi sonbeam, these are some great Scriptures!

Liberty in Christ is the liberty to live unto God, and no longer unto sin. We are free to be the child of God, in joy and in fruitfulness, with no impediment. We are no longer the sinner, and are no longer charged with his crimes.

Much love!
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Return to Bible Study Q & A