Satan as a thief

the place to ask general questions not prophecy related

Satan as a thief

Postby Jericho on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:15 pm

“The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy... (Jhn 10:10)

I've heard this verse ascribed to Satan many times before, but I can't find a basis for it. In the context of John Chapter 10, it doesn't appear Jesus is talking about Satan. I also can't think of any scripture where Satan is called or alluded to as a thief. Instead, he's described as an accuser and slanderer. What do you think?
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Re: Satan as a thief

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:38 am

Jericho, I believe Jesus is contrasting what He represents and brings to those He loves to that which the Pharisees represent and takes/steals from them. He is the Good Shepherd; they are false teachers, false prophets, those whose greed is evidenced by stealing from widows, and making His House a den of thieves, etc.

Thayer's Dictionary defines the word thief like this:

kleptēs

Thayer Definition:
1) an embezzler, pilferer
1a) the name is transferred to false teachers, who do not care to instruct men, but abuse their confidence for their own gain

The cross references I've found in e-Sword are these:

John 10:1,
John 12:6;
Isa 56:11;
Eze 34:2-4;
Hos 7:1;
Matt 21:13,
Matt 23 (Woe to you scribes and pharisees....)
Mark 11:17;
Rom 2:21;
2Peter 2:1-3
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby mark s on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:42 am

Jericho wrote:
“The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy... (Jhn 10:10)

I've heard this verse ascribed to Satan many times before, but I can't find a basis for it. In the context of John Chapter 10, it doesn't appear Jesus is talking about Satan. I also can't think of any scripture where Satan is called or alluded to as a thief. Instead, he's described as an accuser and slanderer. What do you think?

Hi Jericho,

I think that's a great point! I've heard the same so much I've all but forgotten that's not what it says.

Thank you!!

Much love,
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby keithareilly on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:27 am

Matthew 22:11-14.
11“But when the king came in to look over the dinner guests, he saw a man there who was not dressed in wedding clothes, 12and he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without wedding clothes?’ And the man was speechless. 13“Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 14“For many are called, but few are chosen.”

Thieves are those who try to enter The Kingdom by means other than through Christ.
It is why they are not clothed properly, then bound hand and foot and thrown into the darkness.
They are thieves.

Keith
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby Jericho on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:43 am

keithareilly wrote:

Matthew 22:11-14.
11“But when the king came in to look over the dinner guests, he saw a man there who was not dressed in wedding clothes, 12and he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without wedding clothes?’ And the man was speechless. 13“Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ 14“For many are called, but few are chosen.”

Thieves are those who try to enter The Kingdom by means other than through Christ.
It is why they are not clothed properly, then bound hand and foot and thrown into the darkness.
They are thieves.

Keith

I suppose that would also describe Satan. Is it safe to say that even though that verse is not talking about Satan, that he has also come to steal, kill, and destroy?
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby keithareilly on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:49 am

I suppose that would also describe Satan. Is it safe to say that even though that verse is not talking about Satan, that he has also come to kill, steal, and destroy?

Sure.
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby Jay Ross on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:06 pm

Hello

Satan is described as the one who makes desolate in Daniel 9:27: - . . . And on the wing of abominations shall be one who makes desolate, . . . That is Satan will come to steal the Life from those who worship Christ when he is released from the Bottomless pit and goes out to all of the world, thereby making the lives of the people desolate.

Satan is also described as a thief in the Parables of the Minas and the Talents where his wicked servant tells Satan that he is not entitled to the harvest when he, Satan, returns. Matthew 25: 26-27 - 26 "But his lord answered and said to him, 'You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 27 So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest." and Luke 19:22: - And he said to him, 'Out of your own mouth I will judge you, you wicked servant. You knew that I was an austere man, collecting what I did not deposit and reaping what I did not sow.", both of which are an omission of a thief, wanting to take what is not rightfully his to have.

In the passage John 10:1-10 Satan is again described as a thief: -

John 10:1: - "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

John 10:8: - All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.

John 10:10: - The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

Hosea 7:1-3 also speaks of Satan when it is recorded: -

Hosea 7:1-3: -

7:
1 "When I would have healed Israel,
Then the iniquity of Ephraim was uncovered,
And the wickedness of Samaria.
For they have committed fraud;
A thief comes in;
A band of robbers takes spoil outside.
2 They do not consider in their hearts
That I remember all their wickedness;
Now their own deeds have surrounded them;
They are before My face.
3 They make a king {i.e. Satan} glad with their wickedness,
And princes {i.e. the beasts and the little horn} with their lies.

Shalom
Jay Ross

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Matthew 25: 26-27 - 26 "But his lord answered and said to him, 'You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 27 So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest."

and Luke 19:22: - And he said to him, 'Out of your own mouth I will judge you, you wicked servant. You knew that I was an austere man, collecting what I did not deposit and reaping what I did not sow.", both of which are an omission of a thief, wanting to take what is not rightfully his to have.

Jay, those two passages specifically mention the word "doulos" which is slave/servant/bondman.

John 9-10-11 relate the goodness of Jesus and the confrontations of the Pharisees against Him. The three chapters end with these verses that show the degree of hatred they have for Jesus:

John 11:53  So from that day on they planned together to kill Him. 

John 11:57  Now the chief priests and the Pharisees had given orders that if anyone knew where He was, he was to report it, so that they might seize Him

Satan is specifically mentioned in the parable of the sower and the seeds, however.

Mar 4:15  "These are the ones who are beside the road where the word is sown; and when they hear, immediately Satan comes and takes away the word which has been sown in them. 
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jay Ross on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:28 am

Abiding in His Word wrote:
Matthew 25: 26-27 - 26 "But his lord answered and said to him, 'You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 27 So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest."

and Luke 19:22: - And he said to him, 'Out of your own mouth I will judge you, you wicked servant. You knew that I was an austere man, collecting what I did not deposit and reaping what I did not sow.", both of which are an omission of a thief, wanting to take what is not rightfully his to have.

Jay, those two passages specifically mention the word "doulos" which is slave/servant/bondman.

Abiding, what you have said is true, but in both parables the main character is the servants master. In both parables the master goes away for a time before he returns. In both parables, it is the servants master who acknowledges that he has no right to harvest that he did not sow or nurture. He expressed his desire to have what was not his to have. He was, in fact, happy to steal the harvest from its rightful owner, i.e. to be a thief. It is Satan that wants to be king over all of the peoples of the earth and to be worshipped, by stealing what is not his to have.

As for the rest of your post, I had no reason to comment.

Shalom
Jay Ross

Return to Bible Study Q & A