Contentment

the place to ask general questions not prophecy related

Contentment

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:47 pm

Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong. 2Cor.12:10

Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. Php. 4:11

But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. 1Tim. 6:6

If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content. 1Tim. 6:8

G842
autarkēs

Thayer Definition:
1) sufficient for one’s self, strong enough or processing enough to need no aid or support
2) independent of external circumstances
3) contented with one’s lot, with one’s means, though the slenderest

Part of Speech: adjective
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G846 and G714

Some people think contentment reflects or equates to apathy. If you mention, in the course of a conversation, that you are content, the reaction seems negative in my experience. Try it.

I've had a similar reaction if I mention I'm not worried (about whatever is being discussed.) Even though Jesus tells us not to worry, some perceive that as apathy.

Thoughts?
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Re: Contentment

Postby plalgum on Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:21 pm

We who have nothing,enjoy everything! Now that's contentment!
plalgum

Postby mark s on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:05 pm

I don't think it's apathy, I think it's trust.

If I believe God provides for me everything I need, then what I have is enough. And if I think it's not, I simply have to remember that God loves me, and is doing what's best for me, and that what I have is enough.

I actually had that conversation this morning with one of our customers who came to pick up a job. We both know something of each others histories, and we were swapping a few more stories, and we both ended up kind of commenting on the greatness we both never reached, but fully agreed that wasn't the most important thing, and that we were cool with what we did have.

Interesting that you would bring it up!

:grin:

Love in Christ,
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:50 am

Abiding, I wish you would write more on your thoughts here. I always garner seeds of wisdom when you elaborate.....hope it's not too much to ask, but I am wondering why you brought this up and more on what you were thinking....if you want to share?
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:32 am

Sure, GodsStudent, I'd be happy to share why I brought up the topic of contentment. Just let me gather my thoughts so they will make sense and I'll post them.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:05 am

Well, this is harder than I anticipated it would be... :lol:

Just a little self-disclosure here might be a good starting place. I have never...and I do mean never been a person with goals, dreams, or aspirations. I've pretty much been satisfied just living life and working through it one day at a time.

Any comment or thoughts about that so far? I ask because most of us live under a deeply ingrained "code" of expectations and find it difficult to understand those who don't live up to those expectations. For example, we grow up with goals we want to accomplish; a particular career; places we'd like to travel to; types of homes we'd like to have; etc. Whether those goals originated from ourselves or our families or during our education is immaterial. We (many of us) have them.

I didn't/don't. Consequently, I didn't/don't fit in with the "average/normal" patterns that others quite naturally conform to and are successful in their endeavors.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:18 pm

I had to cut that post short, so let me continue.

This lack? of goals that the average person might have led to friends and family questioning my contentment. They perceived my disinterest in travel, concerts, movies, plans for the future, etc. as unhealthy and abnormal. Their intentions are good and my well being has always been behind their efforts to shake me out of my complacency (as they see it.)

To summarize...I don't measure up to their expectations and they (understandably) can't understand how I can be so content without some excitement in my life.

Several years ago, Wade Burleson posted something on his blog that I could relate to in my own experience: It Is Time to Get New Friends When...

Friends who shame you, friends who harbor grudges against, friends who expect or demand certain performance from you, friends who are disappointed in you as a person, friends who won't forgive you, friends who don't/won't/can't give you freedom, friends who get angry with you and close off emotionally from you, and friends who expect/need certain things from you are saying, "I have placed you on a platform of performance expectations, and if you don't meet my expectations, I want nothing to do with you."

In that post, he introduced readers to a very helpful book which I bought and read:

"Tired of Trying to Measure Up....Getting free from the demands, expectations, and intimidation of well-meaning people." by Jeff VanVonderen

Sooo...anyone else ever felt pressured to live up to the expectations of others because you were resting in your contentedness? :mrgreen:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Resurrection Torchlight on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:55 pm

Sooo...anyone else ever felt pressured to live up to the expectations of others because you were resting in your contentedness? :mrgreen:

I can so relate to your story Abiding. I have had people accuse me of lacking motivation, because I don't jump at new fads, or follow trends. I don't need exotic vacations, and usually don't get upset when life throws a curve ball. There have been exceptions, but they are fewer are farther between these days. I recall having a conversation with a friend about my kids rebelling and turning from Christ, they were surprised that I wasn't upset, and interpreted my "trust" as not caring. I explained to them that I have learned that getting upset does nothing to rectify the problem, and that I trust God who hears my prayers to work in the lives of my children. I am at peace knowing that the Lord cares for me, and He cares about me. Anxiety and complaining solve nothing and only cause me to feel lousy.
Just a little self-disclosure here might be a good starting place. I have never...and I do mean never been a person with goals, dreams, or aspirations. I've pretty much been satisfied just living life and working through it one day at a time.

This has been me pretty much all my life, maybe it's just my personality, but I have always been more interested in other people and what makes them tick, than I have been about goals for myself. Or maybe it just seems like a waste of time to dream beyond what reality dictates, I am more about enjoying each day for what it offers, and not reaching for what I don't or can't have. Like you, I have been satisfied just living life. If it so happens that plans for that great vacation work out- wonderful! If not - no biggy. If my kids continue to rebel, it makes me very sad, but I know that God is working, probably in ways I don't even know about to turn them around, I am not going to lose sleep over it. Of course there are times when difficult things happen that catch me by surprise, and my initial reaction looks nothing like contentment at all. I am not content 100% of the time, but for the most part I think I park there because I have come to learn that contentment really is an awesome place to be.

Even if others don't seem to think so.

RT
Resurrection Torchlight

Return to Bible Study Q & A