Request: Strikethrough BBcode tag

ask questions, report problems and other tech suggestions

Request: Strikethrough BBcode tag

Postby ampersand on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:58 pm

I have often thought it would be useful to be able to strikethrough text, such when editing a post to indicate deletion of text while still retaining it. The semi-standard way of doing this in BBcode is using the [s][/s] tag. Could we add it in please?

Instructions for doing this: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2053305.

Thank you.

&
ampersand

Re: Request: Strikethrough BBcode tag

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:47 pm

Was thinking about this request and I don't like it. In complete honesty, I am a very outspoken person and there have been times when I've said something in haste, posted it, been convicted by the Holy Spirit, and deleted it....all in about 5 seconds. Being able to amend my posts assists me in feeling comfortable posting in the first place.

I have seen in debate threads, people amend their posts and write at the bottom of the post what was amended about the post. I don't like losing the right to change my mind about something I've said and taking it out....striking through is not the same as taking it out and should be an option for those who want it.....such as might be the case in the debate forum to show amendments to things they've said, instead of total recall.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby jgilberAZ on Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:26 pm

I see nothing wrong with fulfilling the request.
2 Timothy 2:24a..And the servant of the Lord must not strive ...
The meaning is, that the servant of Christ should be a man of peace. He should not indulge in the feelings which commonly give rise to contention, and which commonly characterize it. He should not struggle for mere victory, even when endeavoring to maintain truth; but should do this, in all cases, with a kind spirit, and a mild temper; with entire candor; with nothing designed to provoke and irritate an adversary; and so that, whatever may be the result of the discussion, "the bond of peace" may, if possible, be preserved.
jgilberAZ

Postby ampersand on Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:38 pm

Thanks for your input, GS. I agree that it is good to delete and edit posts that might be incorrect or before they might cause damage. My request is not about limiting the editing process.

Let me clarify: I am not proposing that every time a post is edited, any deletions will be marked with a strikethrough. I am requesting that we add a new tag that can optionally be used to strike out things. You know that list of buttons with Bold, Italics, Underline, etc that appears when you are posting? This would add a new button that would allow strikethroughs.

I would use this in the following scenario: Yesterday I posted something, then after re-reading it, I wanted to delete one word where I made a mistake. Before I could do that, somebody else had replied to my post, quoting me in the process. I would have liked to have gone back and just put a strikethrough through the incorrect word in my post. Obviously, the quote would still contain the word. My post would say the usual "Last edit by ampersand....," but when others would read the post and replies to it, they would know that I was the one that made a mistake, and that the replies were not misquoting me.

This would be optional, and you would still be allowed to delete whatever you like.

&
ampersand

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Sorry for the late response. This type of addition/change to the code needs to be authorized by Holly who would contact our technical person if approved. She posted awhile back that she's very involved in a large research project so I've only contacted her when it was an issue or problem of extreme importance; i.e. the board is down, etc.

If you wish, you might try to contact her with your request via the contact information provided at the top of the page.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:01 pm

Thanks for the additional remarks, &. I like the idea in the form of an addition to options as opposed to replacing the option to remove things from our posts that we later decide, for any reason, we don't want there. I hope you'll follow up with Holly and find out how difficult it would be to apply this feature. Have a great evening. Lisa
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby ampersand on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:24 pm

Thank you, Abiding. I will contact Holly, and she can look into it whenever she has time.
ampersand

Return to Club Confuzzled aka Tech Q&A