SQL error, Maximum connections exceeded (30)

ask questions, report problems and other tech suggestions

SQL error, Maximum connections exceeded (30)

Postby bchandler on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:53 pm

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that the site has become very unstable... seems to be restarting frequently, and is frequently indicating that there are no more connections available to the sql database... even when i am just starting up my browser and attempting to log in.

So, there seems to be some kind of connection limit threshold that is set to low, or the hosting company has throttled traffic to the SQL server so severely that the site frequently does not function.

I am using the latest release of firefox for my browser, running on a fully patched version of windows XP. Quad core 3.6 GHz cpu and 4GB RAM. If that helps at all... though i suspect the real issue is on the back-end.
I am not a god or a doctor, and nothing i say should be construed as medical advice or even as correct. I am merely a living soul who is exercising my unalienable rights, endowed upon me by my creator, and recognized in the Constitution for the united States of America, to freely speak about the things i believe. No other soul should grant my words any weight without first determining their credibility and/or accuracy for themselves.
bchandler

Re: SQL error, Maximum connections exceeded (30)

Postby burien1 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:01 pm

I am using the latest release of firefox for my browser, running on a fully patched version of windows XP. Quad core 3.6 GHz cpu and 4GB RAM. If that helps at all... though i suspect the real issue is on the back-end.

I've noticed problems all week. And today had trouble even logging on. Whatever is wrong is getting worse, too. I use Firefox, but couldn't tell you a thing about all the rest of what you're talking about. :cheeky:
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby SueAnn on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:46 pm

burien1 wrote:

I've noticed problems all week. And today had trouble even logging on. Whatever is wrong is getting worse, too. I use Firefox, but couldn't tell you a thing about all the rest of what you're talking about. :cheeky:

I got that SQL error message, too. I use Internet Explorer...and I know even less than Burien about the other technical stuff you babbled. :lol:
ﺗﻜﻮﻳﻦ 12
وَقَالَ الرَّبُّ لأَبْرَامَ: «اتْرُكْ أَرْضَكَ وَعَشِيرَتَكَ وَبَيْتَ أَبِيكَ وَاذْهَبْ إِلَى الأَرْضِ الَّتِي أُرِيكَ،
فَأَجْعَلَ مِنْكَ أُمَّةً كَبِيرَةً وَأُبَارِكَكَ وَأُعَظِّمَ اسْمَكَ، وَتَكُونَ بَرَكَةً (لِكَثِيرِينَ).
َأُبَارِكُ مُبَارِكِيكَ وَأَلْعَنُ لاعِنِيكَ، وَتَتَبَارَكُ فِيكَ جَمِيعُ أُمَمِ الأَرْضِ »
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Postby bchandler on Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:04 pm

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

User 'fulfilld_phpbb3' has exceeded the 'max_user_connections' resource (current value: 30) [1226]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

There is the exact error message.
I am not a god or a doctor, and nothing i say should be construed as medical advice or even as correct. I am merely a living soul who is exercising my unalienable rights, endowed upon me by my creator, and recognized in the Constitution for the united States of America, to freely speak about the things i believe. No other soul should grant my words any weight without first determining their credibility and/or accuracy for themselves.
bchandler

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:07 pm

I've gotten it too. Also, when I make posts, it takes sometimes as long as minutes for the post to take and for me to be able to move on. Then, when I am reading threads, there is a much longer delay going on when I try to move from one thread to another.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby AndCanItBe on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:32 pm

I have found when it hangs up after I've hit the submit button, that I can normally wait about 30 seconds to a minute, and then go ahead and click on the title of the thread again. My post will usually be there in the thread. I always highlight my post and copy it before doing that though. That way I don't have to retype if it didn't work that time.

Thank you all for your patience. :grin:
AndCanItBe

Postby Jericho on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:06 pm

The hamsters are working overtime.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby burien1 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:33 am

So where did the Trump thread go ?
burien1

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:40 am

burien1 wrote:So where did the Trump thread go ?

New forum :grin:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby burien1 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:42 am

It says I don't have permission to access. :humm:
burien1

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:47 am

burien1 wrote:It says I don't have permission to access. :humm:

:lol: thanks for telling me, burien1! I'll check that out right away!
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby burien1 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks Abiding. There was a link posted by Kh2010 that I really wanted to copy. Best piece of journalism on Obama's birth certificate mystery, that I've seen to date.
burien1

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:55 am

I moved that thread back to the News forum for now, burien1.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Truthinlove on Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:42 am

I keep getting this error too. Most recently about 5 minutes ago.
"I didn't survive so I could make everyone comfortable. I survived so I could stir things up a bit. And I have a great time doing it." - Gianna Jessen (abortion survivor)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOljzwNVGNY
http://www.giannajessen.com/
Truthinlove

Postby bchandler on Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:01 am

yea, i am still seeing this error a lot... sometimes even upon an initial attempt to connect to the site... no teven logged in yet.
bchandler

Postby bchandler on Thu May 05, 2011 11:01 am

Just a thought for the tech admins regarding this 30 connection limit maxing out all the time. I am noticing that when these errors occur, the google and yahoo web crawling bots are always active on the site.

Is it possible to limit the number of connections they are allowed to make to the SQL server individually? This would prevent these bots from opening too many connections while they are cataloging the site and hopefully prevent the site from being rendered inaccessible.

The current situation really is the equivalent of a denial of service attack by google and yahoo otherwise.
bchandler

Postby jgilberAZ on Thu May 05, 2011 2:22 pm

Robots.txt
User-agent: *
Crawl-delay: 10
2 Timothy 2:24a..And the servant of the Lord must not strive ...
The meaning is, that the servant of Christ should be a man of peace. He should not indulge in the feelings which commonly give rise to contention, and which commonly characterize it. He should not struggle for mere victory, even when endeavoring to maintain truth; but should do this, in all cases, with a kind spirit, and a mild temper; with entire candor; with nothing designed to provoke and irritate an adversary; and so that, whatever may be the result of the discussion, "the bond of peace" may, if possible, be preserved.
jgilberAZ

Postby burien1 on Tue May 10, 2011 8:08 am

Only 6 people on here, and I still have to wait 5 full minutes to post something. No wonder this board is so dead lately.
Could someone PLEASE clue us in ? ? ? ? ? ?
burien1

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue May 10, 2011 6:02 pm

I've reported the problem.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby burien1 on Wed May 11, 2011 7:10 am

Thanks Abiding. It is so frustrating to have a story to post, and not be able to get on. Or read 3 posts and can go no further. Or want to reply, and you simply can't. :( And I know it has to be keeping others from posting articles, too.
burien1

Postby bchandler on Wed May 11, 2011 8:53 am

There are times i can't even hit the main page or login. Sometimes for as much as 30 min.

I don't know if your hosting service is throttling your use of the SQL server or what (that's what it looks like). But it is making the site slower, harder to access, and difficult to post on. Deleting a post almost always results in maxing out connections to the SQL server for some reason also.

I can understand their desire to limit SQL connections if multiple web sites on a single host device are using the same SQL server to access multiple Databases. But they have simply gone too far, and a maximum of 30 connections isn't working.

If the bots haven't been throttled, they need to be. If they already have been throttled, then the hosting service will likely need to increase the number of connections allowed to the SQL server. For a public site such as this one with hundreds if not thousands of members, they probably need to at least double that SQL server connection limit.
bchandler

Return to Club Confuzzled aka Tech Q&A