Can offer help with phpbb board / Invision / whatever.

ask questions, report problems and other tech suggestions

Can offer help with phpbb board / Invision / whatever.

Postby brett on Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:53 am

Hi Herb,
I see you've given phpBB a try, looking good. I think I should tell you a few things about phpBB since I run my own Web Hosting business iin Australia (www.deasoft.com). We have hundreds of clients with phpBB installations and I would like to stress to you the importance of keeping phpBB updated to the latest version. We recently had a server compromised (hacked into) as a result of an older version of phpBB being exploted - 900 websites were taken down for 10 hours. It really is important to keep your phpBB up to date as new security holes get discovered every month with phpBB. There is a particularly nasty group of hackers that attack phpBB's that mainly come from Iran - we believe this was the source of our own troubles. But since you only have one phpBB to keep up to date I'm sure it'll be fine as long as its updated regularly.

Also there are plently of free skins available for phpBB, you might want to take a look at some of them. If you do give this board a cusotm skin then you'd best upgrade via the patch method. Info on how to upgrade is on the phpbb.com website. I'm more than happy to offer help / advise if you need it.
KJV ONLY !
The KJV is the only PURE translation. Avoid modern corruptions like the NIV, they have been altered to support the coming Anti-Christ.
"The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O Lord, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever." Psalm 12:6-7
brett

Postby Be still on Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:53 pm

Moving to Club Confuzzled.
Be still

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:04 pm

There is a particularly nasty group of hackers that attack phpBB's that mainly come from Iran

:faint:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Thanks for the warning

Postby thevibesguy on Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:13 pm

Thanks for the warning. The best way to combat board defacement is for me to keep the software up to date (which it is), and to add some modifications to the board.

One way is to constantly change passwords to ones that are difficult to guess. I highly recommend that everyone change passwords often, and change them to passwords that use letters, numbers, and a mixture of upper and lower case.
thevibesguy

Postby Bob the Quiet on Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:47 pm

If you have an msn or gmail email account, their password change page includes a 'password strentgh' bar that tells you how secure your password is.
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
-Thomas Jefferson

Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.
-Thomas Jefferson

Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day.
-Thomas Jefferson
Bob the Quiet
Supporting Member

Follow Up

Postby brett on Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:05 pm

If you want a place to store backups of FP website we can give you a free account for that purpose. I could also setup an automated script so such backups would be done automatically on a daily basis. But you may not need / want this? You might have sensitive material you don't want on another server? Just option if you need.
KJV ONLY !
The KJV is the only PURE translation. Avoid modern corruptions like the NIV, they have been altered to support the coming Anti-Christ.
"The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O Lord, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever." Psalm 12:6-7
brett

Backup

Postby Herb on Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:32 pm

Brett

I don't know if we have sensitive material or not. A backup like you are offering my not be a bad idea. Give me time to think about it.

Thanks Brett!

Herb
Herb
FP Founder

Follow Up

Postby brett on Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:37 pm

I'm just following up letting you know I am available to Upgrade this phpBB for you if and when you need. I sent you a PM.
KJV ONLY !
brett

Return to Club Confuzzled aka Tech Q&A