What does it mean, Born Again?

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

What does it mean, Born Again?

Postby mark s on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:36 am

What does being "born again" mean to you?

1 Peter 1:3-5 (NASB)

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Born again comes from God. It comes through Jesus' resurrection from among the dead. We inherit, being children. Our inheritance is sure, individual, yours. We are protected by our new Father.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd like to ask that each post begin with a passage that teaches us something about being born again, and what that passage teaches. How does that sound?

Much love!
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Re: What does it mean, Born Again?

Postby keithareilly on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:55 pm

Romans Chapter 6

6 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it? 3 Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; 7 for he who has died is freed from sin.

8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him. 10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11 Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! 16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin [j]resulting in death, or of obedience [k]resulting in righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that [l]though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, 18 and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. 19 I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, [m]resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, [n]resulting in sanctification.

20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. 21 Therefore what [o]benefit were you then [p]deriving [q]from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of those things is death. 22 But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you [r]derive your [s]benefit, [t]resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

In Conclusion
John 12:24 King James Version (KJV)
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby GodsStudent on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:59 pm

I think my favorite scriptures on this subject is in Romans 12, see here:

1Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. 2And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
3For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith. 4For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, 5so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. 6Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; 7if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; 8or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

9Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good. 10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; 11not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; 12rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, 13contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.

14Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. 16Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation. 17Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. 18If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. 19Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY,” says the Lord. 20“BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD.” 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Keeping Alert on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:55 am

Hi GS,
Just wondering why you capitalised the words in verse 19 and 20?

Love,
KA
Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

πατερ δοξασον σου το ονομα
Father, glorify thy name.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
Keeping Alert

Postby Sonbeam on Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:48 am

Our Lord told us exactly and very simply what it means to be "born again."

John 3:3-8

3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.[a]”

4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.

How to know if one has been born again of the Spirit? Ask the Spirit.

Rom 8:16

The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.

Blessings,

sonbeam
Sonbeam

Postby mark s on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:26 am

Keeping Alert wrote:Hi GS,

Love,
KA

Hi KA,

If I may jump in here . . . I believe the all caps on those parts indicate a OT quotation.

Much love!
Mark

:hugs:
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:22 am

mark s wrote:If I may jump in here . . . I believe the all caps on those parts indicate a OT quotation.

Yes....NASB translation does that.

For example, Romans 12:20 references Proverbs 25:21-22.

Pro 25:21  If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; And if he is thirsty, give him water to drink; 
Pro 25:22  For you will heap burning coals on his head, And the LORD will reward you. 
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby GodsStudent on Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:51 pm

Keeping Alert wrote:Hi GS,

Love,
KA

Hi KA:
I didn't. I just snagged the verses off the internet, NASB version. I dont know why the site I copied this from did that, but I just cut and paste the verses, as I knew what I was looking for.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Keeping Alert on Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Thanks GS. I was reading it over and over and was wondering how those capitalized words were related to being born again :lol: Thanks for clarifying.

Love-in-Christ,
KA
Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

πατερ δοξασον σου το ονομα
Father, glorify thy name.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
Keeping Alert

Postby GodsStudent on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:28 am

Keeping Alert wrote:Thanks GS. I was reading it over and over and was wondering how those capitalized words were related to being born again :lol: Thanks for clarifying.

Love-in-Christ,
KA

:lol: I am so sorry!!! I didn't even notice or realize that they were capitalized. My favorite part of this verse speaks to the being transformed by the renewing of the mind.....and it goes on from there.

Now I want to fix it, because it does look like I did that when I didn't have a clue it was like that.....but that would make our discussion here confusing, so I'll leave it. Hopefully others will see it and not dwell on why I capitalized that part of the chapter.....lol.
I can imagine you sitting there reading that and wondering what in the world I mean by tying the Lord's vengance to salvation....does make one wonder where I am coming from...... :lol: :mrgreen:
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Return to General Bible Study & Debate