What is God doing?

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

What is God doing?

Postby mark s on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:38 pm

The Bible tells us . . .

See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another in the fear of God.

Ephesians 5:15-21 NKJV

"Understand what the will of the Lord is"

Well, it occurs to me, this passage gives me a great start!

I've been giving a lot of thought to the question, what is God doing?

Jesus told the people, I only do what I see My Father doing.

I'm being conformed to the image of Jesus.

So the simplest and broadest stroke to describe What my Father is doing, He's conforming me to the image of Jesus. So anything I do that is that, is good, and anything I do that is not that, is not good.

Fairly simple so far. I think it stays fairly simple, which is good!

:grin:

Because what we're told to do must be the Father's will for us, right? And if it's the Father's will for us, then that must mean it's involved in making us to be like Jesus, right? And if it's involved with making us to be like Jesus, then this is what the Father is doing. Right?

Which dovetails quite neatly with Philippians 2:12-13, "work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God Who works in you both to will and to do His pleasure." I'm told to do these things, and it turns out that these things are what God is working into me!

So what is my Father doing?

See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another in the fear of God.

He is making me circumspect, and wise, in order that I might redeem the time.

Whew! This sounds really really good to me! Because I'm 56 years old, quickly heading towards 57, and I feel like I've wasted an awful lot of years. But my hope is that there is still time to do the work. And I really like that God is working in me to make the time left count!

He is working into me sobriety, to prevent the resources and good things in my life from just disappearing.

He is instead filling me with His Spirit, bringing forth singing and Scriptures and sharing of reminders to each other.

He is putting music into my heart for Him!

He is making me grateful. Boy is He ever!!

He is making me into a servant.

These are some of the things my Father is doing. And in the following in His footsteps is much joy!

Because we can apply this same thinking to another passage . . .

Rejoice in the Lord Always!

What is the Father doing?

Let's make sure we're doing the same.

Much love!
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Re: What is God doing?

Postby shorttribber on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:08 pm

mark s wrote:What is the Father doing?
Let's make sure we're doing the same.

First, I think He is most concerned with drawing people to Christ.
Believers, to the full Stature of Christ, and Unbelievers to Christ, at the Cross.

That's what I want to do also. I want what God wants, that keeps things simple for me, as far as motivation and the direction of life goes.
The Wisest men have changed their Counsels and Resolves upon second thoughts, much more upon experience, and approaching evils not at first discovered. Rev. Herbert Croft, 1675

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Find seven years of tribulation plainly stated in the Bible.
shorttribber

Re: What is God doing?

Postby mark s on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:10 pm

In a way, I think it's all one work, and then again, it's as many unique works as there are people.

:grin:
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Return to General Bible Study & Debate