The Garden of Eden's Purpose

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

The Garden of Eden's Purpose

Postby keithareilly on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:39 pm

This topic is somewhat speculative.

During some discussions elsewhere some of the responses led me to conclude there are people who think the Garden of Eden was made for Man. I have never considered the Garden as being made for Man. Man was brought into an existing garden for the purpose of tending the garden. Everything in the Garden, Adam was allowed to eat, except the forbidden fruit. Afterwards, Adam was removed from the garden to keep him from eating from the Tree of Life.

So, understanding we don't have a hard and fast answer to this topic, let me put forth my thoughts and see how other people view the garden.

God created the Garden; when a person creates something, they have a reason for creating it. They have a purpose. When I consider the creation account, remembering there existed a period of time when rain did not yet exist, I have often wondered if the purpose of the garden of Eden was to develop a model environment of what the Earth was to become. Was the Garden of Eden a micro ecosystem that was the source of seeds, birds, fish, and animals that were created then spread throughout the Earth? Might it be that even rain was created using forests in the Garden? (In case you are not aware, rain forests are called rain forests because these forests actually manipulate the environment to produce rain.)

Genesis 1:28
God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth."

The pattern of populating the Earth with humans starts with two humans, male and female. Did God populate the earth with other species (plant, fish, bird, and animal) using the same pattern of starting with a few and making them fruitful till they multiplied and filled the Earth? And was the Garden of Eden the micro ecosystem needed for each species to become fruitful and multiply before being dispersed throughout the planet?

Just a reminder, this is a speculative topic.

Keith
Edited
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Re: The Garden of Eden's Purpose

Postby Jericho on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi Keith,

Since we are speculating, I'll give my take. I don't claim it is correct, but it makes the most sense to me. First a little context. I lean to the gap theory of creation. That is the belief that there is a gap between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2. God creates everything complete in Genesis 1:1, something happens, then the earth becomes formless and void in Gen 1:2. What I think that something was is the fall of Satan. Without going into detail, there is reason to speculate that Satan (then Lucifer) once had a kingdom on earth before he fell. There may have even been a preadamic civilization (I don't know) and this is where the dinosaurs fit in. I find it interesting that Satan is referred to as a serpent and dragon as if to associate him with the reptile kingdom. So in short, Lucifer becomes prideful and falls. God pronounces judgment on him and destroys his kingdom and the planet along with it. This could be what caused the dinosaurs to be wiped out. So the earth is left flooded and covered in darkness for perhaps thousands or millions of years (who knows?).

Then God begins the renovation process. Genesis 1:3 onward then is a re-creation. This is when He creates the garden of Eden. However big the garden of Eden was, it didn't cover the whole earth. Which begs the question, what was it like outside the garden? Could it have already been in a fallen state prior to Adam's fall? Maybe. He creates Adam and Eve to replenish the earth, inferring that there was something here before them. God puts Adam (mankind) in charge of the garden and gives him dominion over all the works of His hand (Gen 1:26-28). So yes, I believe the Garden was made for man. In essence, mankind was created to replace Satan's role of ruling over the earth, which is why he hates humanity so much. We have taken his old job. I believe it was God's purpose for mankind to eventually expand the garden to cover the whole earth, but Adam temporarily derailed those plans. There will be a partial restoration in the Millennial Kingdom, and then a completely new earth and heaven after that. So contrary to popular belief, the earth will never end. God will is making the future as bright as possible, but it is a long process that involves dealing with sin and evil and ultimately bringing all things to perfection.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Spreading Salt on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:05 pm

I believe the entire earth experience is God's training ground for eternity and so much more. It's all for Him.
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby keithareilly on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:07 pm

Jericho,

Interesting perspective. I had never thought of the verse few verses in this way. I had always thought summary, then details. But, you provided an interesting alternative view.

Keith
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Return to General Bible Study & Debate