The Most Important Things

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

The Most Important Things

Postby mark s on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:45 am

II Peter 1:3-9 NLT

By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence.

And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires.

In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone.

The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But those who fail to develop in this way are shortsighted or blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their old sins.

According to this passage:

We currently have everything we need to live a godly life. God has given us everything.

He has given us promises - self-commitment. God has committed Himself . . . to enable us to share His divine nature, and to escape from the corruption in the world, the corruption that takes advantage of the desires that go with being human.

Growth and advancement towards holiness and fruitfulness are the "supernatural" course of the Christian life.

If growth and advancement are not being realized, the reason is a failure to see what God did for us in removing our sins from us.

So to say this another way, it is by keeping in view that we have been cleansed from our sins that we advance in the faith.

So what are the most important things to know in our Christian life?

Much love,
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Re: The Most Important Things

Postby Ready1 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:53 pm

Pretty important to know who you believe in...

2Ti 1:12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

2Ti 1:12 That is why I am suffering here in prison. But I am not ashamed of it, for I know the One in whom I trust, and I am sure that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until the day of His return.
Just observing.

E.
Ready1

Postby mark s on Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:59 pm

I've been thinking this is the most important thing.

Jesus said it pretty plainly.

This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, Whom You have sent.

Knowing God. Knowing Who He is. Knowing He loves us!

In Him,
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby Jay Ross on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:53 pm

John 6:28-29: -

28 Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?"

29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."
Jay Ross

Postby Resurrection Torchlight on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:06 pm

Did a study on 2 Peter 1. It is awesome to know that God makes righteous living possible by giving us all the tools to live so that we can please Him.

One of the important things to me, and there are many, but recently this one thing really hits home, it is that I have the "Mind of Christ"-- this is so profound and amazing to me, that He lives in me, and His divine nature resides within me working in me daily to make me a new creature, to sanctify me.

RT
Resurrection Torchlight

Postby mark s on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:01 pm

Jay Ross wrote:John 6:28-29: -

28 Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?"

29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

Hi Jay,

One thing only, believe. Simple . . . but not always easy. But no . . . that's not what I mean. Not natural. Therefore impossible to the natural man. But the spiritual new creation lives by Jesus' faith in us. So faith is it's fabric of being, in a sense? So if we're not believing, doubting, fearful, that can't be the new creation. So the first sign of doubt is the first tendril of the old man into the mind.

One thing to do. One thing only!

Much love,
Mark
mark s

Postby mark s on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:05 pm

Resurrection Torchlight wrote:Did a study on 2 Peter 1. It is awesome to know that God makes righteous living possible by giving us all the tools to live so that we can please Him.

One of the important things to me, and there are many, but recently this one thing really hits home, it is that I have the "Mind of Christ"-- this is so profound and amazing to me, that He lives in me, and His divine nature resides within me working in me daily to make me a new creature, to sanctify me.

RT

I taught that chapter at the potluck on Saturday. This is a transformational truth, in my opinion. We're in a sense just a long for the ride. Now, we have a part to play in how far we go, I think. But even so, He WILL complete His work!

Thankfully! (to say the very very least!)

Much love,
Mark
mark s

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:48 pm

I could be mistaken here, but I'm sensing a tad bit of earning in the words 1) tools to live so that we can please Him, 2) we advance in the faith, and 3)...we have a part to play in how far we go.

But I'm seeing a kind of passivity (I know we hate that word) or contentedness we have in knowing it's His love for us that enables gratitude and love as our focus.

1Jn 4:10  In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

Rom 5:6  For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly 

So it's God’s love, not our merit or our efforts that is central to the new creature in Christ.

No?
:dunno:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jay Ross on Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:57 pm

Mark in my post, I did not comment on the scripture passage that I quoted.

To say that I believe something without demonstrating that I believe what I believe is not a demonstration of believing. I agree with you, it is not as simple as, “Believe in Him Who He has sent.” It requires us to act out our belief.

Paul in Ephesians wrote the following: -

Ephesian 3:8-21

To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to make all see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ; to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places, according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him. Therefore, I ask that you do not lose heart at my tribulations for you, which is your glory.

For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height — to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all of the ages, world without end. Amen.

and

Ephesians 4:17-5:2

This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart; who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

But you have not so learned Christ, if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the renewed man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.

25 Therefore, putting away lying, "Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor," for we are members of one another. "Be angry, and do not sin": do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil. Let him who stole, steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need. Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.

Therefore, be imitators of God as dear children. And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

To demonstrate that we “believe” we must show that we have renewed (The meaning of the Greek word that it is translated from) our minds and that we must take on and wear this renewed/refreshed man without putting it off again. To believe means that we must wear the renewed/refreshed man until the end of the age of the ages.

Shalom
Jay Ross

Postby mark s on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:15 am

Abiding in His Word wrote:I could be mistaken here, but I'm sensing a tad bit of earning in the words 1) tools to live so that we can please Him, 2) we advance in the faith, and 3)...we have a part to play in how far we go.

But I'm seeing a kind of passivity (I know we hate that word) or contentedness we have in knowing it's His love for us that enables gratitude and love as our focus.

1Jn 4:10  In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

Rom 5:6  For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly 

So it's God’s love, not our merit or our efforts that is central to the new creature in Christ.

No?
:dunno:

Hi Abiding,

No earning, at least in my mind. "Tools" was RT's term, but it connects up with what I'm thinking, so I'll comment on that also.

To me, the greatest "tool" of all is the ability to now choose between the old man and the new man. Before, we did not have the power to not sin, now we do. And we can break that down even further, in that we can pray, and be informed by the Bible, and meditate on God's Word, all of these helping us to always live the new life. We have the examples from our past where God has carried us through all of our troubles.

It's God Who said that He's working in us to both want to do and be able to do what pleases Him. He tells us to work that out in our lives. I don't do that in order to gain anything, simply that it's the right way to live. But I can't do it on my own, I can only do what He is doing.

To the extent that I do in my life what God is doing in me, to that extent I accomplish the works that He wants me to do. Again, not to gain, but because it's right. And the fact is, that's where the abundant life is.

But another fact is that if I neglect the works that God has lined up for me to walk in, and instead I walk my own way, according to my flesh, even though He has make the path straight to walk in His will, then I'm not accomplishing those things, and that time is lost.

And with 2 Cor 3:18 in view, our seeing God's works being wrought though our lives is transformational, it makes us more like Jesus. But if we are not doing those works, then we don't receive that benefit.

The most central fact of all is that God loves us. He has provided for us. We can rest, passively, completely, sumptuously rest in His love, knowing that He is the Good Shepherd, and He will bring us home safe, and shepherd us while we are here.

1Jn 4:10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

I've recently learned that a more literal translation of a familiar Psalm reads:

Surely goodness and loving kindness will pursue closely after me all the days of my life.

There's a song I've been listening to that says it this way:

"You calmed the raging sea
I will not move
You still the storm in me
I will not move
Surely love and kindness will find me here."

Carry Me - Urban Rescue

God is fully in love with us! There's another Urban Rescue song, "You spoke the earth with just a word, and you hold my heart". The Creator of the Universe, in His love for me, is working in all my life to make it His thing of beauty! He just wants me to wear it, the new man, living the new life. If I still spend time and energy on the old life, then I lose out on the goodness that God is providing.

Helpful?

Much love,
Mark
mark s

Postby mark s on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:00 pm

Jay Ross wrote:Mark in my post, I did not comment on the scripture passage that I quoted.

To say that I believe something without demonstrating that I believe what I believe is not a demonstration of believing. I agree with you, it is not as simple as, “Believe in Him Who He has sent.” It requires us to act out our belief.

Hi Jay,

I'd have to go along with James and you on this one. In essence. But I'd say it a little differently.

James wrote that faith without works is dead. I can say I believe - that this chair will hold me - but if I refuse to sit in it because I'm afraid of falling, the puts the lie to my words. I don't believe. I don't sit.

But if I do believe, I sit readily, comfortably, without much of a thought. It's a chair. It's for sitting. I sit in them regularly.

But if we do believe, then we do act. We make choices based on Scripture. We aren't afraid. We are confident. We are victorious. We are filled with hope.

Ephesian 3:8-21

To me, who am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to make all see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ; to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places, according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him. Therefore, I ask that you do not lose heart at my tribulations for you, which is your glory.

For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height — to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all of the ages, world without end. Amen.

and

Ephesians 4:17-5:2

This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart; who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

But you have not so learned Christ, if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and that you put on the renewed man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.

25 Therefore, putting away lying, "Let each one of you speak truth with his neighbor," for we are members of one another. "Be angry, and do not sin": do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil. Let him who stole, steal no longer, but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need. Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.

Therefore, be imitators of God as dear children. And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

To demonstrate that we “believe” we must show that we have renewed (The meaning of the Greek word that it is translated from) our minds and that we must take on and wear this renewed/refreshed man without putting it off again. To believe means that we must wear the renewed/refreshed man until the end of the age of the ages.

Shalom

These are great passages! So I thought I'd leave them here.

If we believe that these things are God's will for our lives, then not only is this simply the right way to live, but it's also the best way to live. And it's the way that God intends, and the the way that He works in us.

But I'm wondering, to whom must we demonstrate our renewed mind? To God? He already knows whether or not our minds are renewed. To ourselves? To others?

It sounds like you are saying that if we believe, then we will be perfect in thought and behavior until death or whatever. But is that what you are actually saying?

Much love,
Mark
mark s

Postby Jay Ross on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:44 pm

Mark can I simply point you to Isaiah 58 which points to the right way to "fast" unto the Lord.

This passage can also be linked to the Parable of the judgement of the Nations/The separation of the sheep from the goats.

Mark, the renewing of our minds and the putting on of the refreshed/renewed man is a process and with every step that we take backwards, we will realise our "SIN" and repent and learn to take two, three or how many steps as we continue the process of renewal. Is God involved in this process? Yes He is. Are we the only ones involved in the process of renewing our minds? No, God helps us along the way. Do we need to complete all the steps in the process? No, because Christ's atonement for our sins cover all of our short comings.

God wants us to be honest with ourselves and to keep short accounts of our failings.

Shalom.
Jay Ross

Postby mark s on Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:39 am

Jay Ross wrote:God wants us to be honest with ourselves and to keep short accounts of our failings.

Shalom.

Hi Jay,

I thought that was all well said! This part, I think this is important. The sooner we can realize and admit that we've allowed the old man it's way, the sooner we can return to walking in the spirit.

Much love,
Mark
mark s

Return to General Bible Study & Debate