Dependence and Acceptance

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

Dependence and Acceptance

Postby mark s on Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:45 pm

Jesus taught that we are to not worry about the things we need, knowing God, who provides so well for the birds and flowers, will provide for us.

Paul wrote that we are to not worry about anything - be anxious for nothing - but that God's peace will guard us.

So . . .

My thinking is this:

The amount we are truly dependent on God will be reflected in how much we think that what we have is wrong for us.

Wrong car . . . wrong home . . . wrong job . . . wrong health . . . wrong church . . . wrong friends . . .

To put it another way, the amount we are truly dependent on God will show itself in our level of contentment with what we have.

If we believe that God is supplying everything we need, then we will be happy, since we have everything we need. If we think we need something and we ask for it, and God does not give it, it's because He knows it's not what is best. And we are happy with His answer. This is what the Bible describes, and therefore this is what it looks like to walk in the Spirit. Is that true?

If we think that we have the wrong bank account (maybe too low?), then does that mean we're thinking that God either doesn't know, or isn't able to solve our problem? So then we have to get busy solving it ourselves?

But then where belongs ambition?

James tells us to ask for what we want, but if we don't receive it, it's because we have wrong motives. Wrong motives would be from the flesh, right? So then the things that we don't receive because we are asking for bad reasons aren't in the Spirit, and so should be ignored anyway, would that be right?

Thoughts?

Love in Christ,
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Re: Dependence and Acceptance

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:49 pm

mark s wrote:But then where belongs ambition?

James tells us to ask for what we want, but if we don't receive it, it's because we have wrong motives. Wrong motives would be from the flesh, right? So then the things that we don't receive because we are asking for bad reasons aren't in the Spirit, and so should be ignored anyway, would that be right?

Thoughts?

Boy, Mark, this is a difficult topic. We live in a culture or society that respects ambition and frowns on contentment or lack of ambition. Let me give you a very small example I experienced last week with my sister.

She came over for a short visit and the first words out of her mouth were, "don't say anything about my top...this is the third day I've worn it." She had told me before how comfortable and cool it was in our Florida heat and humidity so she was comfortable wearing it but at the same time was embarrassed that I might notice she was wearing it over and over. Keeping score evidently. I reminded her that in Jesus' day, most only had one or two tunics and washed it down by the water only (most likely) when necessary. :mrgreen:

She, like many of us, feel pressured to dress, walk, talk, exude "success" and ambition. We don't "fit in" if we only own one or two comfortable tops and wear them as often as we want to. We feel (because of today's culture) contentment equates with apathy and that's a no-no so we conform. We go shopping. And we go shopping. All in an effort to do what's expected of us.

Now...things begin to change (thank God) when we retire. We need make no excuses for sloppy (but comfortable) dress; taking a needed afternoon nap; eating whenever or whatever we please as we are out of the public scrutiny for the most part. We are free to express our weaknesses and/or needs more freely since most people understand senior/older citizens have more needs than they did when they were young and more self-sufficient.

In other words....we can be content and feel no obligation, embarrassment, or need to make excuses for being so.

My conclusion and observations are that lack of contentment is often the result of outside pressure to "perform" like our society wants us to in order to reflect ambition and success.

As I see it... use the talents God gave you and use them to the best of your ability without the pressure to conform to the expectations of others.

"It's Time to Find New Friends When...."
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby GodsStudent on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:53 pm

As I watch my job go away due to Corporate America taking it over, I am completely at a loss as to what I want to do to earn money next, so I don't even know what or how to pray for it, other than to simply pray for guidance and help in seeing His plan for my life.

The last few days, I've had a song stuck in my head, and I've been busy singing it all through the day.....
His eye is on the Sparrow.....

So, Im pretty content ....so much more than I ever would have been had this happened at other times in my life.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Resurrection Torchlight on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:11 am

Ambition......I have been accused by some for lacking it.

Contentment comes pretty easy to me, perhaps because my husband has a great job and I have had the blessing of not having to go to work every day. I stayed home to raise three kids and leave most of life's big decisions to my husband, who is very capable. Yes we talk through things together and I will share my thoughts but in the end he is the one who carries the bulk of life's burdens. I honestly don't have a lot to be worried about. But it is more than that, it's not that I don't have concerns and I complain to the Lord often about my fleshly weaknesses, it's that I have arrived at the place in my life where I realize that worry accomplishes nothing. I have come to terms with the fact that things outside my control cannot be controlled by me. The things that the Lord has entrusted to my control are what I can and do handle as He allows me to. It really is an issue of trust, trusting the Lord to take care of me.

I do not think ambition is wrong, striving to make a living isn't misplaced ambition, striving to make a better living isn't either. It isn't wrong to enjoy the fruits of our labor; the nice house, the nice car, the trip to wherever. But when we put our trust in those things, and begin to trust in ourselves rather than the Lord, then we easily lose our focus and contentment flees from us.

Paul tells us in scripture that he had had much and little
Philippians 4:11–13 (NASB95)
11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.
12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.
13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Paul tells us his secret to contentment.....doing all things through Christ who strengthens him.

Hebrews also shares the secret to contentment
Hebrews 13:5–6 (NASB95)
5 Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, “I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,”
6 so that we confidently say,
“THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID.
WHAT WILL MAN DO TO ME?”

Trusting that the Lord will never forsake you, that He will help us. It also says that we should be free from the love of money. Not that we shouldn't have money, it is the love of it that ensnares us.

What is the focus of our love? What drives our ambition?
2 Corinthians 5:9 (NASB95)
9 Therefore we also have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him.

RT
Resurrection Torchlight

Return to General Bible Study & Debate