Red Letter Christianity' and the Bible, a new movement

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

Red Letter Christianity' and the Bible, a new movement

Postby Exit40 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:00 am

Shayne Looper: 'Red Letter Christianity' and the Bible
By Shayne Looper Posted Dec 13, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Tony Campolo and Shane Claiborne recently published an op-ed piece in the New York Times titled, "The Evangelicalism of Old White Men Is Dead." They write that evangelicalism (or at least its reputation) is a "casualty" of the recent presidential election. They believe it is time to bury evangelicalism and replace it with a more authentic expression of Christian faith.

Campolo and Claiborne regard the fact that 80 percent of white evangelical Christians voted for Donald Trump as evidence that evangelicalism has been poisoned by self-interest. Its reputation "has been clouded over." How, they wonder, could people who take Jesus seriously ever vote for a man whose campaign was marked by "racism, sexism, xenophobia," and "hypocrisy"?

Campolo and Claiborne have been heroes to young evangelicals. They have consistently called Christians to live in obedience to Jesus's words, stressing above all the care for the poor that Jesus advocated. In calling Christians to actually do what Jesus told them to do, they have done a service to the church generally and to its evangelical arm in particular.

But when they go on to call for a new movement to replace evangelicalism, a movement they refer to as "Red Letter Christianity," I fear they are doing the church a disservice. If they're calling people to listen to Jesus's instructions and obey them, great. That is key to a flourishing life, and the heart of being Jesus's disciple. But if they are suggesting that Jesus's words "trump" the rest of the Bible or that they can be used to negate earlier and later revelation, they are propagating a dangerously misguided idea....

Continues

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-Letter_Christian

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Re: Red Letter Christianity' and the Bible, a new movement

Postby sacredcowbasher on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:50 am

Tony Campolo is a sociologist, a pastor, and former spiritual advisor to former president Bill Clinton. Need I say more.
Gal 2: 14-19 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law ( the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus ), died to the law ( the law of sin and death ) that I might live to God. Parenthetical remarks added are mine.
sacredcowbasher

Postby Ready1 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:31 am

Campolo and Claiborne regard the fact that 80 percent of white evangelical Christians voted for Donald Trump as evidence that evangelicalism has been poisoned by self-interest. Its reputation "has been clouded over." How, they wonder, could people who take Jesus seriously ever vote for a man whose campaign was marked by "racism, sexism, xenophobia," and "hypocrisy"?

May I suggest that nearly every vote for Trump was not a vote for " a man whose campaign was marked by 'racism, sexism, xenophobia," and "hypocrisy' as much as a vote against a woman whose campaign was marked by "lies, criminal activity, cover ups, and poor judgement."

This election, where I live, was not marked by support for either candidate, but rather an election of those who voted against the candidate that they disliked the most. :grin:
Just observing.

E.
Ready1

Postby Jericho on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:28 am

Tony Campolo and Shane Claiborne recently published an op-ed piece in the New York Times titled, "The Evangelicalism of Old White Men Is Dead."

Ah yes, those pesky old white men. Doesn't that sound a little, I don't know, racist? You know the Clinton campaign also thought they could marginalize and ignore 63% of the population and appeal only to minorities. They were badly mistaken. The old white men are not dead yet.

How, they wonder, could people who take Jesus seriously ever vote for a man whose campaign was marked by "racism, sexism, xenophobia," and "hypocrisy"?

How? Because they were left with two equally bad choices. Also they were voting for a politician here, not a church leader. He hits upon all the liberal keywords, so you know where this is coming from.

As a response they endeavor to create an evangelical movement that focuses on the teachings of Jesus Christ, particularly in regard to social issues.

While many Christians throughout church history have defined themselves as emphasizing the teachings of Jesus, a modern movement was initiated by Wallis and Campolo, who felt the religious right spend too much time on two issues: abortion and homosexuality.

Isn't this a contradiction? They want to focuses of the teachings of Jesus Christ in regard to social issues, but then want to ignore abortion and homosexuality.

They believe Christians should be promoting biblical values such as peace, building strong families, the elimination of poverty, and other important social justice issues.

There it is, "social justice". This is just more mixing of Christianity with liberal ideology.

So if I understand correctly, they want to focus on Jesus's words, which is good, but in doing so ignore a lot of what the rest of the bible says, particularly on social issues. It seems they want to take religion out of politics. But how can you separate your core religious beliefs from everything else, they are intertwined. That's like putting God in a box and saying He belongs here, but He doesn't belong there. The early American preachers believed no such thing. The seeds of the American Revolution began in the pulpit, so much so that King George thought of it as a "Presbyterian rebellion".
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby GodsStudent on Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:27 am

Interestingly, my husband and I talked about this last night....well, not this, but this.....
He said the Jewish people had the purest religion, because theirs was wholly derived from scripture....I didn't argue, but suggested that it only told half the story, because in Jesus Words'....he came NOT TO ABOLISH, BUT TO FULFILL, and that He was in scripture as far back as Genesis, so the Lord knew we, as humans, would not be able to fulfill it ourselves.
I then admitted that I am not focused enough on the old testament, the Law....because I know thru Christ, I am forgiven.....BUT.....and I just said this somewhere else on another post.....
GOD HIMSELF said in scripture that we were not to take away from or add to scripture......
When it comes right down to it....are these people not taking away from, and then in essence, literally misrepresenting the scriptures?

The motive in their hearts is to get away from "old white men" which is a not pure, true love for others, and which is going to be a downfall for them, since they are going to feed this resentment and literally cause themselves to stumble as a result.

Interestingly enough, my husband and I talked about race last night too....and we talked about how those who succeed don't have racism in their heart. We talked about the example of a person who wants to succeed in business, and to do so, they have to work with people in different offices, different government locations, different customers, and the public. If you are racist and go to the Dept of _______ for whatever reason, and the person behind the counter is of a race that you do not like, then you are not going to work well with that person, which will hamper your business goals....literally. Racism is a scourge that makes people weak, and that so many in our country are feeding this beastly thing is just.....sad.....really. It's not "just happening" ....it's happening because we have people in leadership who are perpetuating it. I listened to D.L. Hughley, a comedian, on the radio for a few minutes the other day and was astonished at how misled he is....yet he is a spokesman for blacks, and he teaches, preaches and leads his black brothers and sisters down the racism road by preaching to them how they are being "overrun" by the white man....as a race....and it's just so sad.....because blacks listen to him, adopt his way of thinking....and perpetuate the weaker views....lots of them do....this is only one of many examples, but to be sure, they are perpetuating this faulty thinking and as a result have a skewed world view....I could give the right world view here, but I have already typed a novel so I'll stop....but it's a fact.....we listen to comedians on politics and then follow their thinking as "the gospel truth" without thinking for ourselves and next thing you know, we have a national crisis. Of course Hughley is only one example of a lot of them who perpetuate this same thinking....it's sad....but true.
Oh, and my husband is black and I am white....and we see the same thing happening.....and that says a lot....because he does not tolerate racism, but can be objective and think for himself, and in doing so, is able to draw the same conclusions I am drawing, and we are different races.....so ....just sayin'
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby sacredcowbasher on Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:51 pm

GodsStudent wrote:Interestingly, my husband and I talked about this last night....well, not this, but this.....
He said the Jewish people had the purest religion, because theirs was wholly derived from scripture....I didn't argue, but suggested that it only told half the story, because in Jesus Words'....he came NOT TO ABOLISH, BUT TO FULFILL, and that He was in scripture as far back as Genesis, so the Lord knew we, as humans, would not be able to fulfill it ourselves.
I then admitted that I am not focused enough on the old testament, the Law....because I know thru Christ, I am forgiven.....BUT.....and I just said this somewhere else on another post.....
GOD HIMSELF said in scripture that we were not to take away from or add to scripture......
When it comes right down to it....are these people not taking away from, and then in essence, literally misrepresenting the scriptures?

The motive in their hearts is to get away from "old white men" which is a not pure, true love for others, and which is going to be a downfall for them, since they are going to feed this resentment and literally cause themselves to stumble as a result.

Interestingly enough, my husband and I talked about race last night too....and we talked about how those who succeed don't have racism in their heart. We talked about the example of a person who wants to succeed in business, and to do so, they have to work with people in different offices, different government locations, different customers, and the public. If you are racist and go to the Dept of _______ for whatever reason, and the person behind the counter is of a race that you do not like, then you are not going to work well with that person, which will hamper your business goals....literally. Racism is a scourge that makes people weak, and that so many in our country are feeding this beastly thing is just.....sad.....really. It's not "just happening" ....it's happening because we have people in leadership who are perpetuating it. I listened to D.L. Hughley, a comedian, on the radio for a few minutes the other day and was astonished at how misled he is....yet he is a spokesman for blacks, and he teaches, preaches and leads his black brothers and sisters down the racism road by preaching to them how they are being "overrun" by the white man....as a race....and it's just so sad.....because blacks listen to him, adopt his way of thinking....and perpetuate the weaker views....lots of them do....this is only one of many examples, but to be sure, they are perpetuating this faulty thinking and as a result have a skewed world view....I could give the right world view here, but I have already typed a novel so I'll stop....but it's a fact.....we listen to comedians on politics and then follow their thinking as "the gospel truth" without thinking for ourselves and next thing you know, we have a national crisis. Of course Hughley is only one example of a lot of them who perpetuate this same thinking....it's sad....but true.
Oh, and my husband is black and I am white....and we see the same thing happening.....and that says a lot....because he does not tolerate racism, but can be objective and think for himself, and in doing so, is able to draw the same conclusions I am drawing, and we are different races.....so ....just sayin'

Yeah GS, what a world it would be if we all could hear the truth, embrace it (Him), and be conformed to His image. But alas, there is so much comfort in being like the lost majority. Most people are going this way, so I will follow them. Yeah, and most people a thousand years ago believed the world was flat.

I hate to have to call these ministers out, I probably seem like that is half of what I am about, but they are in a bad place spiritually. When a christian has no power or no overcoming life in Christ, they look to other avenues such as social justice. Staying busy is another one, we used to see quite a bit of the 'political gospel', but not as much lately. We have the Hebrew roots movement, and the never ending 'theres a champion inside of you gospel'.

I am beginning to understand that there may not be a great number of people who will actually follow Jesus. My wife wrote a song that says, 'Lord I will take Your hand, and go where You command, though I cannot see the road that lies ahead ...., I will follow You, trusting and believing, that You'll do everything You said You'd do. And I will sing unto the Lord cause He has dealt bountifully with me, my heart shall rejoice in your salvation ...., and I have trusted in Your tender mercy O Lord, and my soul longs for more of You, O and my soul longs for more of You.

Complacency is a dangerous thing spiritually and from experience I can say it is dangerous in business as well. If we, the church, are not following Jesus, we will more than likely move toward paths of lesser resistance; something easier to follow, at least as the flesh is concerned. Our lost family won't look at us so awkwardly if they feel comfortable to be able to cuss around us and drink a beer with us. If we lose track of what the gospel is and how lost sinful man is, we won't have anything to offer.

It would be better if these two men quite trying to play church and fully went back into the world. At least then they would not be destroying the church. They are teaching another gospel, and we should run as fast away from them as we would if we found ourselves in a legalistic church, or a racist oriented church.
Gal 2: 14-19 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law ( the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus ), died to the law ( the law of sin and death ) that I might live to God. Parenthetical remarks added are mine.
sacredcowbasher

Return to General Bible Study & Debate