Tower of Babel research

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

Tower of Babel research

Postby Jericho on Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:04 pm

So, I'm doing research on the Tower of Babel with the intent to hopefully write a short e-book. It's sort of a side project of mine. I've written another e-book and actually sold a few copies, although I don't get much for them. I do it mostly because I enjoy the process and find it interesting.

What I'm interested in are the parallels between the Tower of Babel and the coming world government (i.e. NWO). The way I see it the Tower of Babel was the original world government, governed by the first dictator (Nimrod), and was origin of human government. History has a way of repeating itself, and we will eventually come full circle. As Solomon said, there's nothing new under the sun.

I'm particularly interested in the political, economic, and religious aspects of it. So for example politically, Nimrod's parallels with the Antichrist. Economically, I've heard Babylon is where commerce began. Religion wise, I've heard many false religions began in Babylon.

So I'm looking for starting points, trails I can follow. I'm not limiting myself just to the Bible, but extra-biblical sources as well (including mythologies). If anyone can offer some feedback I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Re: Tower of Babel research

Postby Jay Ross on Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:33 pm

If you consider the Book of Jasher, then the time of the Tower of Babel was in the time of Abraham's early life. This puts the Tower of Babel occurring around the time 2200-2100 BC. It would seem that Haran, Abraham's youngest brother, was among the early people who left UR during the time of God scattering the people after the construction of the Tower of Babel stopped. There are clues in the recorded Oral traditions which confirms this. The Book of Genesis leaves a lot of information out of its record, but there are a few clues here and there that indicate the time of the scattering of the people.

I am happy to converse with you through PM or by private Email, if you would like more information.

Shalom
Jay Ross

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:32 pm

Jericho, Holly touched on the Tower of Babel in one of her posts back in 2008.

The Tower of Babel was mankind’s first attempt at coming together to build a world government without God. So, Babylon the Great appears to involve the nations’ final and most powerful attempt at uniting apart from God. Today, this is best seen in the efforts of the United Nations.

link
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jericho on Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks Abiding and Jay. The United Nations is certainly a stepping stone toward world government. Just like the League of Nations morphed into the UN, the UN will probably morph into something else before everything is said and done.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Jericho on Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:07 am

Here's a question, what other names has Nimrod been known as throughout history? Searching the forums, it was said he was also known as the Egyptian god Osiris, but how do we know this? He's also been known as Gilgamesh. I've done some research on that before and there are definitely connections to make that plausible.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:00 am

From Nelson's New Illustrated Bible Dictionary

Some scholars believe Nimrod was Sargon the Great, a powerful ruler over Accad who lived about 2400 B.C. Others think he was the Assyrian king Tukulti-Ninurta I (about 1246-1206 B.C.), who conquered Babylonia. However, if Nimrod was indeed a Cushite, he may have been the Egyptian monarch Amenophis III (1411-1375 B.C.).

From Fausset's Bible Dictionary

Nimrod was the Bel, Belus, or Baal, i.e. lord of Babel, its founder. Worshipped (as the monuments testify) as Bilu Nipra or Bel Nimrod, i.e, the god of the chase; the Talmudical Nopher, now Niffer. Josephus (Ant. 1:4) and the tortures represent him as building, in defiance of Jehovah, the Babel tower.

From the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia

Nimrod has not been identified with any mythical hero or historic king of the inscriptions. Some have sought identification with Gilgamesh, the flood hero of Babylonia (Skinner, Driver, Delitzsch); others with a later Kassite king (Haupt, Hilprecht), which is quite unlikely; but the most admissible correspondence is with Marduk, chief god of Babylon, probably its historic founder, just as Asshur, the god of Assyria, appears in Mic_5:11 as the founder of the Assyrian empire (Wellhausen, Price, Sayce). Lack of identification, however, does not necessarily indicate mythical origin of the name. See ASTRONOMY, II., 11.; BABYLONIA AND ASSYRIA, RELIGION OF, IV., 7.; MERODACH; ORION.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jericho on Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:16 am

Thanks for the quick reply Abiding. I'll have to check those out.

Nimrod has not been identified with any mythical hero or historic king of the inscriptions. Some have sought identification with Gilgamesh, the flood hero of Babylonia (Skinner, Driver, Delitzsch); others with a later Kassite king (Haupt, Hilprecht), which is quite unlikely

Here's some interesting parallels between the Epic of Gilgamesh and Nimrod, which leads me to be believe the story was based off Nimrod:
There are still other parallels between the Bible and the Gilgamesh epic:
-“YaHWeH” has a somewhat similar sound to “Huwawa.” Gilgamesh did just as the “sons of god” in Genesis 6 did.
-The “sons of god” forcibly took men's wives. The Epic says that is precisely what Gilgamesh did.
-The Bible calls Nimrod a tyrant, and Gilgamesh was a tyrant.
-There was a flood in the Bible; there is a flood in the Epic.
-Cush is mentioned in the Bible, Kish in the Epic.
-Erech is mentioned in Scripture; Uruk was Gilgamesh's city.
-Gilgamesh made a trip to see the survivor of the Flood. This was more likely Ham than Noah, since “Nimrod” was Ham's grandson!
-Historically, Gilgamesh was of the first dynasty of Uruk. As Jacobsen points out (1939: 157), kings before Gilgamesh may be fictional, but not likely. The fact that the Gilgamesh epic also contains the Deluge story would indicate a close link with events immediately following the Flood. S.N. Kramer says,A few years ago one would have strongly doubted his (historical) existence… we now have the certitude that the time of Gilgamesh corresponds to the earliest period of Mesopotamian history. (Kramer 1959: 117)

Read more at: http://christiananswers.net/dictionary/nimrod.html
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:35 am

Barnes' Commentary on Amos 5:8

Orion, a constellation in one line with the Pleiades, was conceived by the Arabs and Syrians also, as a gigantic figure. The Chaldee also renders, the “violent” or “the rebel.” The Hebrew title “כּסיל Keciyl, fool,” adds the idea of an irreligious man, which is also the meaning of Nimrod, “rebel,” literally, “let us rebel.” Job, in that he speaks of “the bands of Orion Job_38:31, pictures him as “bound,” the “belt” being the “band.” This falls in with the later tradition, that Nimrod, who, as the founder of Babel, was the first rebel against God , was represented by the easterns in their grouping of the stars, as a giant chained , the same constellation which we call Orion.

Barnes' Commentary on Micah 5:6

... here alone in holy Scripture, Babylon is called “the land of Nimrod,” as indeed he founded it Gen_10:10, but therewith was the author of the tower of Babel also, which was built in rebellion against God, whence his own name was derived . Assyria then, and the world-empire which should succeed it, stand as representing the God-opposed world.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:09 am

Jericho, I have subscribed to the Zion's Fire magazine for years and just happened to be looking through some previous issues when I found an article that includes some info on the Tower of Babel. Thought you might be interested in reading it.

The Article is entitled "the War Rages On" and written by Marv Rosenthal. It is 14 pages long but the part about the Tower begins on page 9-13. Check it out here. You can download it in pdf format as well.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jericho on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:30 am

Thanks Abiding, I'll be sure to check it out. Jay Ross and lamb7 have also provided me with information, so its going to take awhile to sift through it all. Plus, I've been busy with school projects. For such a small subject it is an awful lot of research. :eek:
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:43 pm

Oh gee, Jericho....I wouldn't want to tell you how long some of my studies take.... :mrgreen:

Sometimes I lose interest in one....bookmark it....go on to another....lose interest....something else catches my eye and I move on....or not. :lol:

Thanks to the internet we have sooo much material available at our fingertips for consumption we (I) sometimes get indigestion and have to take some time off for our (my) mental well-being.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jay Ross on Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:25 pm

Know the feeling Abiding.

There is so much stuff on the internet that it is difficult to know what is real and what is on both sides of bordering on fiction and what is WPB material.

My biggest beef is that there is a lack of reliable material which can be used to do justice to researching a particular topic.

My other beef is that the tools that have been developed to help people to understand the scriptures, tend to reinforce the "traditions of men" and as such cloud, in many cases, the understanding that we should have.

Be that as it may be. God smiles on those who take the time to study/meditate on his words.

Shalom
Jay Ross

Return to General Bible Study & Debate