Son, be of good cheer; thy sins are forgiven thee

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

Son, be of good cheer; thy sins are forgiven thee

Postby Keeping Alert on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:00 am

This phrase is taken from the incidence of the healing of the paralytic... Four friends could not find a way to get their paralytic friend into the house where Jesus was but with ingenuity they found a way through the roof.

And this is what is recorded in Matthew, Mark and Luke

" Jesus seeing their faith said to the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins are forgiven thee"

I hadn't noticed this before... Jesus saw THEIR faith but only forgave one...

How unfair! The friends had faith + works to show for... The paralytic only had faith and could not have any work to show for...

Jesus saw THEIR faith but just spoke to one those wonderful words...

What gives?
Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

πατερ δοξασον σου το ονομα
Father, glorify thy name.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
Keeping Alert

Re: Son, be of good cheer; thy sins are forgiven thee

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:49 am

Just about a year ago now, we discussed something similar. It's here if you'd like to read some really good thoughts from members.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Keeping Alert on Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:35 pm

Ah, great minds think alike! :wink:

Did you get the answer for the question you posted?

I am just wondering why didn't Jesus say SonS... All of them had faith and the four friends had works to boot but Jesus only prescribed forgiveness to one only... The one who could not do anything...

I am wondering why?
Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
Keeping Alert

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:13 pm

You know, KA, the longer I study scripture and the longer I know Jesus, I have come to the conclusion that there are no cut and dried answers to all our questions. I am confident that God is not a "score-keeping," "one-size-fits-all" God who treats everyone the same with a list of rules.

We, on the other hand, make lists of have-to's, musts, ought-to's, and shoulds and think everyone has to abide by them or else.... We think we have to act a certain way, say certain words, and performance is paramount in our walk, our treatment of others, our work, our marriage, and our time on Sundays.

God, and only God, knows what's in a person's heart.

I think Jesus spoke to the paralytic specifically because he may have had no faith at all but was leaning on the faith of those who were assisting him who did have faith. They had heard of the healings Jesus performed and likely encouraged their friend to let them take him to Jesus.

Here's the interesting part imo. It was healing they were seeking for him...not forgiveness of sins. I think Jesus mentioned forgiveness of his sins for the benefit of the scribes and Pharisees who He knew would accuse Him of blasphemy. In other words, He was using it as a prelude to the healing that was the purpose of the group who brought the paralytic to Him. He head them off at the pass we might say. After aggravating the scribes and Pharisees with the sin statement, He graciously administered the healing they came for.

Jesus was radical in that culture at that time and much of what He said and did was not understood by most.

I'm rambling.... I hope some of what I've said makes sense. :wink:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Keeping Alert on Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Interestingly, as I was meditating on this question a thought came to my mind that seem to answer my own question.

Recall how Jesus drew Nathanael to be his disciple and how he masterfully dealt with the Samaritan woman at the well... He knew secrets of the heart...

I think this young man must have felt his sins must be the cause of his paralysis. It seems to be a common thought of the day as can be seen in John 9 when people asked Jesus if blindness of a man was due to his sins or his parent's...

I think this young man (I assume young because Jesus calls him son...) must have committed some sin that he was so guilty about... The faith of the four friends was to have the paralytic healed physically, but the faith of the paralytic was to wish for his sins to be forgiven!

They all got what they wanted! God is fair after all! :bowing:

Keeping Alert

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:07 pm

He knew secrets of the heart...

We agree on this!

Knowing this, I'm thinking the scriptures speak to each of us in a very personalized way. Now, I know there are undeniable truths which we all agree on, but narratives like this one can lead to discussions that keep our focus on God and a certainty that His ways are not our ways. We learn to trust.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Keeping Alert on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:07 pm

Abiding in His Word wrote:

He knew secrets of the heart...

We agree on this!

Knowing this, I'm thinking the scriptures speak to each of us in a very personalized way. Now, I know there are undeniable truths which we all agree on, but narratives like this one can lead to discussions that keep our focus on God and a certainty that His ways are not our ways. We learn to trust.

Amen!

I was studying deeper and I found something amazing!

I checked out the word "forgiven" in Matthew 9:2 and found that it is n the PERFECT tense... It is the same tense that Jesus used when he said "It is finished" on the cross... An action which is viewed as having been completed in the past, once and for all, not needing to be repeated. To stress again, Jesus repeated the word "forgiven" in the Perfect tense again in verse 5.

The Greek experts need to help me out here... What is Jesus implying by using the perfect tense? That his sins past, present, future are all forgiven, and does not need to be repeated???

Keeping Alert

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:40 pm

Keeping Alert wrote:The Greek experts need to help me out here... What is Jesus implying by using the perfect tense? That his sins past, present, future are all forgiven, and does not need to be repeated???

In the event no Greek experts show up, perhaps we could check out some scholarly commentaries available to us. :mrgreen:

My own opinion is that when sins are forgiven, they are forgiven. I don't see compartmentalization of sin in scripture.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Keeping Alert on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:19 pm

Amen! If I am reading you correctly, then I believe the same as you... our sins are gone!

I know many people still live in fear/guilt... that the moment that they feel "forgiven" by God, they go on to sin again... and that sin is not forgiven... until the next time they get "forgiven" by God again...

What a relief it will be for them to know that ALL their sins are forgiven... never to be repeated again!

Keeping Alert

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:28 am

Keeping Alert wrote:Amen! If I am reading you correctly, then I believe the same as you... our sins are gone!

Yes!!

I know many people still live in fear/guilt... that the moment that they feel "forgiven" by God, they go on to sin again... and that sin is not forgiven... until the next time they get "forgiven" by God again...

Sadly, this is true. I'm thinking the difference between the "Law" and "Grace" to the sinner is this.

The Mosaic Law: Keeping the 630 laws was an impossibility. Thus, it kept the sinful nature of the sinner in focus constantly. Hence Jeremiah's "Woe is me" and Paul's "Wretched man that I am" emotional cries.

The NT Life in Jesus Christ: Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! Romans 7:25

Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. Romans 8:1-2

What a relief it will be for them to know that ALL their sins are forgiven... never to be repeated again!

:a3:

OT= focus on sin and performance
NT= focus on Jesus and what He has done
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Return to General Bible Study & Debate