Oneness Believers & The Deity of Christ: Are They Right?

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

Oneness Believers & The Deity of Christ: Are They Right?

Postby Mr Baldy on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:12 am

A question that I have always pondered in my head is:

Are the Oneness Believers Right when they assert the Entire Deity of God to Jesus Christ?

I have spoken to many Oneness Pentecostal and Apostolic Believers who says that Jesus Christ is:

1) God the Father
2) God the Son
3) God the Holy Spirit

They have further stated that the aforementioned are "Titles" or "Roles" that Jesus has assigned to Himself in order that His Will be done on Earth until the Eternal State. When I have mentioned that Scripture speaks of the Godhead as Persons - I have been told that I am wrong.

I pose this question to this Forum - Are they Right? :dunno:

Please consider the following passages of Scripture as I must admit - I do not understand the Godhead:

John 10:30 - I and the Father are ONE.

John 14:9 - Jesus said to him, “Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

John 20:22 - And when He had said this, He breathed on them and *said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.

Colossians 2:8-9 - 8)See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ. 9)For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form

Matthew 28:18 - And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

Now, I know that the Godhead is a very, very difficult Topic to understand. But admittedly, I have truly struggled with the aforementioned passages of Scripture that the Oneness Believers have presented. Are they correct...? I mean, clearly Jesus Christ is the ONLY God we will ever see - I know that much is True...but is He, as they have mentioned God Almighty - The Father? And in explaining the Son, they have mentioned that He came to Earth as the Son in order to provide His Body as a Living Sacrifice - and that's why He carried the "Title" Son - and He is further called "Son" because He was born of a Virgin - does all of this make any sense to anyone so far? They further claim that He also had the ability to "breathe on the Disciples and told them "Receive the Holy Spirit". They claim that God is able to "Divide" Himself in order to carryout these different missions by way of the "Titles" that He has Sovereignly decided to do - but at the end of the Day it's ALL Jesus.

Can anyone provide some clarity?
Mr Baldy

Re: Oneness Believers & The Deity of Christ: Are They Right?

Postby mark s on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:38 am

Jesus' baptism. Jesus was in the water, the Father spoke from heaven, and the Holy Spirit descended. They were each at the same time 3 different persons, in 3 different places.

Also, you can see here:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=40076
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Return to General Bible Study & Debate