Saint or "Sinner"

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

Saint or "Sinner"

Postby Sonbeam on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:34 am

Saint or Sinner

What is the true identity of those who belong to Christ?

Can a Christian ever identify himself as a “sinner”?

A Christian might think that “sinner” is part of his identity, but that would be completely false.

Why? Because a Christian has no “sin.”

What? ?? you say. Let me explain.

The biblical answer why a Christian has no sin is:

Christians are under the New Covenant, a covenant of Grace, where there is only one binding law, i.e. a law
with an expressed punishment/condemnation if that binding law isn’t kept.

That binding law is: believe in the One He has sent.

A Christian has already kept this Law when he believed in the Son of God.

John 3
18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

John 6:
28 Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”


Therefore, since Christ did not give us any other binding laws under the New Covenant, a Christian cannot be judged by God as a “sinner” under the New Covenant. And God’s judgment/decision is the only one that counts.


Rom 8
1. Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,
2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death .


Rom 4:
14 For if those who depend on the law are heirs, faith means nothing and the promise is worthless, 15 because the law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression. NIV

Rom 4
14 For if those who are of the Law are heirs, faith is made void and the promise is nullified; 15 for the Law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, there also is no violation. NASB


Rom 5:
13. To be sure, sin was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not charged against anyone’s account where there is no law.


If we believe the above scriptures no further explanation is necessary to be in agreement with the truth that a
Christian has no sin.

Therefore, a Christian can never identify himself as a “sinner” .

So then, what is the true and only identity of those who belong to Christ?

Saints of course! and Christians, Children of God, God’s people, Believers, the Elect, Beloved of God, etc.

:itsgood:



:blessyou:



sonbeam
Last edited by Sonbeam on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonbeam
 
Posts: 910
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:00 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Saint or "Sinner"

Postby mark s on Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:12 am

:a3:
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
User avatar
mark s
MODERATOR
 
Posts: 14045
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:38 am
Location: Southern California, USA

Re: Saint or "Sinner"

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:35 am

Sonbeam wrote:If we believe the above scriptures no further explanation is necessary to be in agreement with the truth that a
Christian has no sin.

Therefore, a Christian can never identify himself as a “sinner” .

So then, what is the true and only identity of those who belong to Christ?

Saints of course! and Christians, Children of God, God’s people, Believers, the Elect, Beloved of God, etc.


I wholeheartedly agree, Sonbeam!

I will, however, admit that I never, ever saw myself as a sinner even before I was saved. I obeyed all the rules. But there was a turning point for me. As a Catholic, we were always encouraged to go to confession on a regular basis. Since I wanted to obey that rule, I did go to confession. But I made up sins and confessed them to the priest. One time, as he was giving me a penance, I realized it didn't actually apply to me....I didn't have to be forgiven since I hadn't ever sinned. I said to him, "I'm never going to come here again." And I left and never did go back to confession.

Now fast forward 25/30 yrs. and I was born again as the result of saying the "sinner's prayer" from the back of a book. Even then, the "sin" part escaped me. But as time went on and even to this day, the Holy Spirit will bring to my mind something I'd done that I didn't think was sinful and that continually amazes me. Each time, I'm shocked and I do ask the Lord for forgiveness even thought I know I've already been forgiven. I'm humbled and no longer proud that I was sinless! LOL

When the Jehovah Witnesses come to my door, I identify myself as a "born-again, spirit-filled, bible-believing believer in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior." Several of them continued to come to my house over a two-year period and we spent time examining the scriptures together. We became good friends and they seemed to accept some of my understanding of scripture as I came to understand where they were coming from. That continued until this Covid-19 came upon the scene.

Hallelujah and Praise His Holy Name!

:praise:
User avatar
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN
 
Posts: 29295
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: SW Florida

Re: Saint or "Sinner"

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:16 am

First, as to the OP...... :a2: :hugs2: :oops: :praise: :yourock: :spin:

Second, as to the Jehovah's Witnesses.....they now mail stuff in lieu of coming to the house. I keep getting these handwritten letters from them, along with a few of their tracts (which state that Christ and Satan, or Lucifer, the fallen angel, are brothers !!!)....OH BROTHER....it gets all over me and I want to write back, but I bite my tongue.....as I've sat down with scripture with them before, and chief among the issues with that is that they believe they are much more versed in the bible than others, and the way they attempt to manipulate the Word by going here then flipping over to there just drives me nuts.....Like muslims, I find they are quite devoted, but wayward....so I pray for them....that's the only thing I feel I can do at this point, and with those that I've encountered thusfar.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 12106
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:36 pm

Re: Saint or "Sinner"

Postby Resurrection Torchlight on Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:27 pm

GodsStudent wrote:First, as to the OP...... :a2: :hugs2: :oops: :praise: :yourock: :spin:

Second, as to the Jehovah's Witnesses.....they now mail stuff in lieu of coming to the house. I keep getting these handwritten letters from them, along with a few of their tracts (which state that Christ and Satan, or Lucifer, the fallen angel, are brothers !!!)....OH BROTHER....it gets all over me and I want to write back, but I bite my tongue.....as I've sat down with scripture with them before, and chief among the issues with that is that they believe they are much more versed in the bible than others, and the way they attempt to manipulate the Word by going here then flipping over to there just drives me nuts.....Like muslims, I find they are quite devoted, but wayward....so I pray for them....that's the only thing I feel I can do at this point, and with those that I've encountered thusfar.


I had this woman; who was a JW who would visit me regularly. I told her I was born again and I would only discuss what we had in common. She was very nice and considerate and after many visits she wanted to know more about Christianity. So I started to tell her and one thing I mentioned is that we believe Jesus is God. That really intrigued her, I suggested she come back the next week after I had compiled scripture to show her why my husband and I and Christians believed this. Well she came back and she brought her superior with her, who wasn't having any of it. Sadly she never returned and I prayed for her for a long time after. I think if she would have come alone, my husband and I could have helped to open her eyes to the Truth.

RT
Resurrection Torchlight
 
Posts: 4077
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 5:15 pm

Re: Saint or "Sinner"

Postby Abiding in His Word on Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:39 pm

Resurrection Torchlight wrote:Sadly she never returned and I prayed for her for a long time after. I think if she would have come alone, my husband and I could have helped to open her eyes to the Truth.


RT, you planted a seed. You may not see it come to fruition, but I believe the fact that she sat for awhile and listened showed she was interested and the Word was having an impact.

:blessyou:
User avatar
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN
 
Posts: 29295
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:54 pm
Location: SW Florida

Re: Saint or "Sinner"

Postby Sonbeam on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:21 am

Abiding in His Word wrote:
Resurrection Torchlight wrote:Sadly she never returned and I prayed for her for a long time after. I think if she would have come alone, my husband and I could have helped to open her eyes to the Truth.


RT, you planted a seed. You may not see it come to fruition, but I believe the fact that she sat for awhile and listened showed she was interested and the Word was having an impact.

:blessyou:


Over the years, I've also had some good exchanges with JW's as well as Latter Day Saints' members. I admire their zeal though it's based on erroneous doctrines. God bless them!

Reading your previous post Abiding, I see we've had some similar experiences. I graduated from high school from
a Catholic school. Though I never considered myself a Catholic, but I treasure the fellowship I enjoyed there with the
priests and nuns.

I also came to Christ at home while watching the 700 Club program one evening.

:hugs2:
Sonbeam
 
Posts: 910
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:00 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Saint or "Sinner"

Postby Sonbeam on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:25 am

GodStudent,

Back to you :hugs:

And God's blessings on you and your family.


sonbeam
Sonbeam
 
Posts: 910
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:00 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Saint or "Sinner"

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:24 am

Sonbeam wrote:GodStudent,

Back to you :hugs:

And God's blessings on you and your family.


sonbeam


Thank you, Sonbeam, and God's Blessings on you and your family as well !!!
I have been taking care of my 5mos. granddaughter lately, so I am busy almost all the time. I cherish moments when I can come on FP and read, but am not able to post often. I am grateful that all of you are still here and communicating!!! I will be back more often when I am able.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member
 
Posts: 12106
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:36 pm

Re: Saint or "Sinner"

Postby Sonbeam on Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:44 am

GodsStudent wrote:
Sonbeam wrote:GodStudent,

Back to you :hugs:

And God's blessings on you and your family.


sonbeam


Thank you, Sonbeam, and God's Blessings on you and your family as well !!!
I have been taking care of my 5mos. granddaughter lately, so I am busy almost all the time. I cherish moments when I can come on FP and read, but am not able to post often. I am grateful that all of you are still here and communicating!!! I will be back more often when I am able.


Thank you GS. And I hear you.

I have an almost 6 mo. old granddaughter that's a bundle of energy. Aren't they all at that age?
I held her for a little while last night while also holding a toy xylophone for her to play with, and she kept banging on it with all her might. :grin:

It didn't take me long to give her back to her mother. :lol:


Hang in there! :blessyou:
Sonbeam
 
Posts: 910
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:00 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Saint or "Sinner"

Postby Loop on Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:03 pm

Godstudent
I have been taking care of my 5mos. granddaughter lately, so I am busy almost all the time.


You have definitely been busy, our grandchildren keep us that way lol, they are so precious!
My littlest granddaughter is so much like my mom, I wish she could have lived to see her, her expression's are my mom entirely, she looks so much like her I tell my daughter she is raising her grandma LOL, Faven is even left handed just like my mom... Its something how someone can be so much like a family member without having ever met or been around them..
Prayers for you too have plenty of energy and strength to keep up with the little one...
Psalms 91
1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Loop
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:08 am
Location: WV


Return to General Bible Study & Debate

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron