Wormwood and the four trumpets of Revelation

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

Wormwood and the four trumpets of Revelation

Postby Jericho on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:04 pm

Tom Horn has an interesting perspective of Revelation 8:7-14 that I had never heard before, in which the first four trumpets in Revelation 8 are a single event in chronological order. He believes it describes an asteroid hitting the earth and the subsequent fallout. When it's put into this context it does make a lot of sense:

First Trumpet: Vegetation Struck
The first angel sounded: And hail and fire followed, mingled with blood, and they were thrown to the earth. And a third of the trees were burned up, and all green grass was burned up. (Rev 8:7)

This could be the debris surrounding the asteroid raining down on earth prior to impact, or possibly the result of the asteroid breaking apart as it enters earth's gravity.

Second Trumpet: The Seas Struck
Then the second angel sounded: And something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea, and a third of the sea became blood.

And a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed. (Rev 8:8-9)

This would describe the actual impact of the asteroid. If it hit the ocean the heat would basically turn the waters into a boiling cauldron killing everything. Certainly enough to kill a third of the sea creatures.

Third Trumpet: The Waters Struck
Then the third angel sounded: And a great star fell from heaven, burning like a torch, and it fell on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water.

The name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters became wormwood, and many men died from the water, because it was made bitter. (Rev 8:10-11)

This asteroid is named after the toxic wormwood plant. So there is something about this asteroid that will poison the waters, but it's not clear how that happens. I remember Jack Van Impe had a theory that when it hit the earth it would cause such an earthquake that it would cause all the nuclear reactors to meltdown. But from what I have read nuclear reactors are designed to shut down when they detect an earthquake. Another possibility is the asteroid could become irradiated if we tried to nuke it. The fallout would then return back to earth and poison everything with radiation.

Fourth Trumpet: The Heavens Struck
Then the fourth angel sounded: And a third of the sun was struck, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars, so that a third of them were darkened. A third of the day did not shine, and likewise the night.

And I looked, and I heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, “Woe, woe, woe to the inhabitants of the earth, because of the remaining blasts of the trumpet of the three angels who are about to sound!” (Rev 8:12-13)

This would be the aftermath of the impact. So much debris and soot would be propelled into the stratosphere that it would blot out the sun and cause a nuclear winter. Ironically, there is a near-earth asteroid named Apophis that will come close to the earth on Friday the 13th 2029. It's aptly named after the Egyptian god of evil, darkness and destruction. They say it is not going to hit the earth in 2029. However, it will make a second pass in 2036 and it's unsure how the first pass in 2029 will alter its trajectory since it's coming so close to earth.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Re: Wormwood and the four trumpets of Revelation

Postby Resurrection Torchlight on Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:12 pm

I have wondered this myself

RT
Resurrection Torchlight

Return to General Bible Study & Debate