How a Christian can Lose Salvation

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

Postby Exit40 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:23 am

The 14 step plan.

By Pastor David F. Reagan. Used with permission from Learn the Bible.
Definitively answers the question: "Once saved, always saved?"

Introduction
So... you want to lose your salvation. Well, you don’t really want to lose it—but you think you have, or could, or that someone you know certainly has lost theirs. They used to go to church every service and teach a Sunday School class, but now they cuss and drink and won’t step inside a church door. They were obviously saved before. They are obviously lost now. So, they must have lost their salvation. It’s as simple as that... or is it?

The idea of losing your salvation is simple. All you have to do is lose everything you gained when you got saved. Since you could never go to hell with anything you received when you were saved, then everything you obtained through salvation must be either reversed or destroyed. Then you can go to hell. So your next move is to find the source which can tell you how to reverse these steps.

Well, if you are going to lose your salvation (just bear with me if you want to keep yours), then you must lose it according to the rules. The rule book is, of course, the word of God. You must not rely on feelings, or common sense, or human reasoning. Feelings can be wrong. Human thinking may not be God’s way (Isaiah 55:8-9). Only God’s Word is the absolute authority.

This brings us to the fourteen easy steps for losing your salvation. Since every one of these steps represents some great blessing you received when you got saved, then all of these steps must be completed without fail in order to lose your salvation. You cannot miss any of them and become lost. You must accomplish them all. Now It’s time to tackle that first step! ...

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Re: How a Christian can Lose Salvation

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:12 am

Exit40 wrote:Well, if you are going to lose your salvation (just bear with me if you want to keep yours), then you must lose it according to the rules. The rule book is, of course, the word of God. You must not rely on feelings, or common sense, or human reasoning. Feelings can be wrong. Human thinking may not be God’s way (Isaiah 55:8-9). Only God’s Word is the absolute authority.

Interesting post, David. I've only glanced at the original article but will read all of it a bit later this morning.

I do, however, object to labeling the Bible as a "rule book" though I'm aware that many do see it that way. I see it more of a history book that leads us to a more comprehensive understanding of our Savior, Jesus Christ. That understanding leads to a greater appreciation of His sacrifice, grace, and love for us.

Back later after reading....

Thanks for the post!
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Exit40 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:36 am

Abiding in His Word wrote:
Interesting post, David. I've only glanced at the original article but will read all of it a bit later this morning.

I do, however, object to labeling the Bible as a "rule book" though I'm aware that many do see it that way. I see it more of a history book that leads us to a more comprehensive understanding of our Savior, Jesus Christ. That understanding leads to a greater appreciation of His sacrifice, grace, and love for us.

Back later after reading....

Thanks for the post!

I almost think that title is given tongue in cheek. I have heard the Bible titled this way ... Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. I've also heard it this way ... Seating arrangements for the flight afterlife, smoking or non smoking. Not wanting to make light of the Word of God, Jesus Christ, especially when dealing with serious issues, but if it attracts a non believer then it serves it's purpose. When we come to understand it is actually Jesus Himself throughout the Bible addressing us, the importance of the Bible becomes clear. He is the Word of God, and He loves us so much.

God Bless You

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Exit40 wrote:I almost think that title is given tongue in cheek. I have heard the Bible titled this way ... Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. I've also heard it this way ... Seating arrangements for the flight afterlife, smoking or non smoking. Not wanting to make light of the Word of God, Jesus Christ, especially when dealing with serious issues, but if it attracts a non believer then it serves it's purpose.

Oh, I love that! And I think Jesus has a sense of humor. While I don't know of a particular passage/verse that states that, I can't help thinking He just have chuckled a bit when He saw Peter's effort to walk on the water.

When we come to understand it is actually Jesus Himself throughout the Bible addressing us, the importance of the Bible becomes clear. He is the Word of God, and He loves us so much.

:a3:

I made a few notes about the article and I'll post them in a little while.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:49 pm

From Pastor Reagan's article:

This brings us to the fourteen easy steps for losing your salvation. Since every one of these steps represents some great blessing you received when you got saved, then all of these steps must be completed without fail in order to lose your salvation. You cannot miss any of them and become lost. You must accomplish them all.

I'm not sure but I think this is either sarcasm or hyperbole. Hopefully someone will help me understand what he meant by that.

Just a few thoughts...

Under Step #2

Again, the Bible must be the authority.

I don't want to diminish the authority of scripture, but I personally had not ever opened a Bible until after I was saved. As a Roman Catholic, we were not encouraged to read a Bible, but rather most of our teachings came from the catechism. That was the summary of Catholic doctrine we were taught from. Just wanted to note that.

But you can be justified by the faith of Jesus Christ. This is not faith in Christ, but the faith of Jesus Christ. But in order to be justified by the faith of Christ, you must believe in Him.

Personally, at the time of my conversion I didn't really believe there was a God. I hoped there was and after reading the sinners prayer from a book, I became certain of His existence due to the change that occurred in me.

Step #10

To know Christ is to know a love which is unknowable. This is one of the miracles of salvation.
This love into which you are placed is not only beyond human comprehension, but it is also the greatest power in the universe.

To this I shout Hallelujah !! Praise you, Lord! Thank you for your love!

And finally....

Under the Conclusion

…scriptural doctrine must be taken as a whole, not as scattered proof texts. One or two scriptures we do not understand must not be used to deny one or two hundred passages which are very clear.

Very important. Even if we find one or two scriptures that we do understand, they must be understood by using the accepted method of interpreting scripture. So often I hear a single verse used to promote a doctrine that is foreign to the whole counsel of God in the Bible. A "copy and paste" method or a "selective literalism" simply doesn't lead to the understanding intended by the author/speaker.

Overall, I thought the article did a wonderful job of providing the assurance of one's salvation following their conversion. Over the years, I've witnessed a lot of fear mongering using rules and regulations and even contracts to accomplish a desired agenda.

I'll close now because I'm rambling.... :mrgreen:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Exit40 on Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:37 am

Abiding in His Word wrote:

To know Christ is to know a love which is unknowable. This is one of the miracles of salvation.
This love into which you are placed is not only beyond human comprehension, but it is also the greatest power in the universe.

To this I shout Hallelujah !! Praise you, Lord! Thank you for your love!

I see this as not one of the miracles of Salvation, but THE miracle of Salvation. Everything flows from this, and we cannot comprehend this magnificent force that sustains us, and in fact the entire universe. To experience it even for a brief moment is to experience unspeakable joy, simply beyond our understanding, and so difficult to explain. But the effect of this is to be able, in our space time continuum, to know Him as He is, even though His ways are so far beyond ours. There was a Facebook meme going around that went something like this ... 'If you think you have ruined God's plan for you, relax puny human. You are not that powerful'. To fully understand this is to come to understand how to Trust Him, that He knows best for us individually and maybe even how we fit into the plan for the corporate Body of Christ.

We are so Loved !

God Bless You

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Return to General Bible Study & Debate