David executed justice

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

David executed justice

Postby Keeping Alert on Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:50 am

I was reading 2Samuel 8 and in verse 1 and 2 it reads

2 Samuel 8:1-2 1In the course of time, David defeated the Philistines and subdued them, and he took Metheg Ammah from the control of the Philistines. 2David also defeated the Moabites. He made them lie down on the ground and measured them off with a length of cord. Every two lengths of them were put to death, and the third length was allowed to live. So the Moabites became subject to David and brought him tribute. (NIV)

And it goes on to list David's victories in the north and in the south and then in verse 15 it says

2 Samuel 8:15 David reigned over all Israel, doing what was just and right for all his people. (NIV)

or in the ASV - it says David executed justice...

I am reading this passage and meditating. It seems so arbitrary. David just made the Moabites to lie on the ground and 2/3 were condemned to die and the other 1/3 were allowed to live. No other characteristics were taken into consideration except where they laid on the ground.

We may think it cruel that David killed 2/3 and only saved 1/3... but the truth is, none of the Moabites deserved to live because they were the enemies of David. The 1/3 lived because of the grace and mercy of David.

David executed justice... He was just to kill the 2/3 and he was just to save the 1/3...

2 verses come to mind...

We were in times past alienated and enemies (Col 1:21)

I will be gracious on whom I will be gracious and I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy (Exodus 33:19)

Question - How then were we saved?
Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

πατερ δοξασον σου το ονομα
Father, glorify thy name.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
Keeping Alert

Re: David executed justice

Postby mark s on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:55 pm

By God's mercy and grace.

Much love!
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby Keeping Alert on Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:10 pm

Most definitely indeed, it is by God's grace and mercy!

And I as I was meditating on this Moabite incident, which I must say was quite disturbing to me in the beginning, I was soon brought to a place of praise.

When David asked the Moabites to lie down on the ground, David did not tell them what he was going to do. 2/3 were doomed and 1/3 chosen to be kept alive. When God chose and told Abram to leave the land of Ur in Genesis Chapter 11, he essentially did not choose all the rest that was mentioned in Genesis Chapter 10.

Yet God executed justice...

From Abraham, the nation of Israel came into being and with it all the instructions for proper living and worship from God. The other nations were excluded...

Yet God executed justice...

Fast forward, the gospel erupted from Israel and was open for all the world. Now God is letting all know which end of the rope to choose so that they may live. David did not with the Moabites and 2/3 chose the wrong end of the rope. Yet, there are those who will still choose the wrong end of the rope...

God executed justice...

And finally, when the sheep are separated from the goats, God will have executed justice in all that he had done...
Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
Keeping Alert

Postby Jericho on Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:25 pm

Some commentary on this incident:

2) He smote Moab.—David’s former friendly relations with Moab (probably connected with his own descent from Ruth), are mentioned in 1Samuel 22:3-4. The cause of his entire change of bearing towards them is not certainly known, but according to Jewish tradition the Moabites had proved false to their trust, and had put to death David’s father and mother. This is not unlikely, as his parents are never mentioned again after they were left in Moab. Others think that the Moabites had been guilty of some treachery towards David in his war with the Syrians and Ammonites. The two suppositions are quite consistent, and both may have been true. Many writers see in this conquest at least a partial fulfilment of the prophecy in Numbers 24:17.

2. he smote Moab, and measured them with a line—This refers to a well-known practice of Eastern kings, to command their prisoners of war, particularly those who, notorious for the atrocity of their crimes or distinguished by the indomitable spirit of their resistance, had greatly incensed the victors, to lie down on the ground. Then a certain portion of them, which was determined by lot, but most commonly by a measuring-line, were put to death. Our version makes him put two-thirds to death, and spare one-third. The Septuagint and Vulgate make one-half. This war usage was not, perhaps, usually practised by the people of God; but Jewish writers assert that the cause of this particular severity against this people was their having massacred David's parents and family, whom he had, during his exile, committed to the king of Moab.

https://biblehub.com/commentaries/2_samuel/8-2.htm
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Keeping Alert on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:42 pm

Wow! Thanks Jericho. That is great insight into the situation with the Moabites. If I were David at his time, I will probably wipe the Moabites out. The sins of the Moabites were great but David chose to be gracious to 1/3.

Which led me to recall the incident between Cain and Abel. If God had not been gracious to Cain and killed him for murdering Abel, then in all probability that would be the end of mankind too. Eve would be too depressed to have more children.

So God had always been gracious... from Adam and Eve, to Cain, and now through Christ, all may come boldly to the throne of grace (Heb 4:16)... sadly many a sinful man and woman would reject grace to accept just punishment for the sins they commited against God who will execute justice on that day of judgement

Keeping Alert

Return to General Bible Study & Debate