My Anchor Holds Within the Veil . . .

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

My Anchor Holds Within the Veil . . .

Postby mark s on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:43 pm

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

From "The Solid Rock", Edward Mote

I think sometimes these guys really get it right.

I've been stuck on this line for a few days, "my anchor holds within the veil."

I've been thinking about this whole veil thing.

Hebrews 10:19-21 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; 21 and having an high priest over the house of God;

We know something about veils.

The Scriptures are veiled to the Jews, until Christ. The veil separated the holy from the holiest.

I think he may have had in mind this passage:

Hebrews 6:17-20 (NASB)

17 In the same way God, desiring even more to show to the heirs of the promise the unchangeableness of His purpose, interposed with an oath, 18 so that by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have taken refuge would have strong encouragement to take hold of the hope set before us. 19 This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil, 20 where Jesus has entered as a forerunner for us, having become a high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.

My anchor holds within the veil.

The veil. That which separates the seen from the unseen.

The mourner's veiled face. The Scriptures veiled, hidden. The Holy Place, veiled from all but the high priest, and then only once per year. But now open access.

Jesus entered into the veil, our forerunner. He went there first, we will follow. Where? The unseen realm.

For we look not at what is seen, but what is unseen. We look at the unseen? How?

But that's the point. Our senses are attuned to this terrestrial realm, not the heavenly realm. That realm is unseen to us. Jesus entered into that realm, and we will follow Him there.

Hebrews 10:19-21 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; 21 and having an high priest over the house of God;

. . . through the veil, that is to say, his flesh . . .

What is it that makes the Scriptures veiled to the Jews? The veil is removed in Christ. Spiritual understanding comes. Fleshy understanding is meaningless.

It is our flesh which makes the heavenly realm unseen. Our senses are attuned to this realm. But what would we see if we saw the unseen? I don't know, but I do know this.

My soul is anchored by a sure and steadfast hope which actually enters through that veil, into the unseen heavenly realm.

No matter what happens in this world, my anchor is in heaven.

2 Corinthians 5:1 (NASB)

For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

We have - now - an eternal habitation - a body, but permanent, not like this temp one. We truly are anchored within the veil. In the unseen. Though we cannot see this reality, it is reality just the same.

We are celestial creations inhabiting terrestrial bodies. One day . . . He will make our vile bodies to be like His glorious body! And then we will be celestial creations inhabiting bodies suited for heaven and earth. The mortal shall be clothed upon with immortality.

Much love!
mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Re: My Anchor Holds Within the Veil . . .

Postby Keeping Alert on Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:11 am

Thanks Mark!

I have always sung this song and never quite thought about what "My anchor holds within the veil" means. Now I know!

Love-in-Christ,
KA
Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

πατερ δοξασον σου το ονομα
Father, glorify thy name.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
Keeping Alert

Postby GodsStudent on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:46 pm

Wow, that was awesome!!! Something to ponder on today.....
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby mark s on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:50 am

I'm glad this got bumped up. I've been thinking about this more.

Christ in me is my life, and Christ has entered through the veil. Jesus is my anchor, sure and steadfast.

In my mind I picture being surrounded by tornado winds, all manner of debris blowing by, buffeted, but not beaten, not torn away, never the chance, as Jesus holds me with His very life.

It really is something to ponder!

Much love!
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Return to General Bible Study & Debate