Condemned by my Own Heart!!!

Discussion and debate not related to prophecy.

Condemned by my Own Heart!!!

Postby mark s on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth. We will know by this that we are of the truth, and will assure our heart before Him in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart and knows all things. Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence before God; and whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight.

This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us. The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

1 John 3:18-24 NASB

God commands us - believe in Jesus, and love each other. And we are to keep these commandments.

In the keeping of these, believe in Jesus, love one another, by doing these things, we will assure our hearts, whenever our hearts condemn us.

Why would our hearts condemn us??

Now there's the question!

I can only think of one answer. We judge ourselves as wrong. And as a result of having judged ourselves as being wrong, we go on to the conclusion that wrong in my life takes me away from God, being condemned by Him. Condemnation. Unforgiven sin. Under wrath, punishment. Taking away the blessing. Away from the spout where the glory comes out. Whatever words you want to use.

We see ourselves as wrong, and feel condemned. We feel condemned, and believe God has pushed us away.

Here is an antidote to this feeling of being guilty. Believe in Jesus, and love one another. As we do these things, we reassure our hearts. Reassure them of what? That we're not guilty. Jesus became our guilty. And why do they need reassurance? Because our hearts feel condemned needlessly!

And, there is an extremely conspicuous absence in this antidote. That absence is the lack of any statement for or against other parts of my behavior.

I mean, He could have said, if you don't want to feel guilty, then just stop sinning! There! End of story.

But He didn't. Thank God!! Because I still have a hard time sometimes just "stopping sinning". Like when I'm trying to keep dinner on the stove an extra hour because my wife hit some snag, and my patience is wearing thin . . . I need not go on. Things are common to us all.

So, since He didn't say, "stop sinning", instead He said, "Trust, Love". It's not about fighting against the sin. It's about doing the good. We do the good, trusting Jesus, loving each other, and it brings us back to life. That is, there is a way that is death, the way of the flesh, and there is the way of the Spirit, the way of life. Come to life!

It's not about what we're trying to push away. It's about Who is calling us near.

He knows better than us. He knows better than our hearts. What does He know that our hearts don't always know?

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus.

God knows, regardless of what we feel, that we are not condemned. We are Justified. We are not guilty. The Not Guilty man walks out of the courtroom free.

Can we know the same thing? That we, all of us who have trusted in Jesus, that we are Not Guilty?

Because if our hearts do not condemn us . . . look out!!

We ask and receive. We live in obedience. Again . . . obedience is defined,

This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us.

I think it's at the end of Galatians, something like, all that matters is faith expressing itself through love. We believe in Jesus, and that faith changes us, and we see others differently, as objects of our love, our Christian Charity.

And as we trust, and as we love, we come to know we are in the truth - it's really true! We're born again! Redeemed! Forgiven. Forgiven of all sins, all of them, just plain gone! Sins from our past, sins from our future, all sins. Gone forever, nevermore to return!

Romans 5:10 NASB:

For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

Reconciled - restored to friendship

We were still His enemies, ungodly and unrepentant, when He reconciled us to Himself. "God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself." So there's God, having befriended Himself to a bunch of rebels who didn't want anything to do with Him. But He urges through His apostles, "be reconciled to God". We have to join in. But the point is, God already did His part. Forgave our sins. It opens the door for us to be born again. To be His children.

If God forgave our sins in Jesus, 2000 years ago, well, thinking we are condemned when we sin, that we continue to need to seek forgiveness, isn't that like continuing to send your bank it's monthly payment on a car that's been paid off already?

God is greater than our hearts. He knows everything! He knows the truth. The truth about me.

The truth about me - and you, who have trusted in Jesus - is that you and I are spotless and pure, righteous and holy, blameless. There is nothing to be condemned for. Nothing to feel condemned over. It's all gone!

Let us not love in word or tongue, but in deed and in truth. Let us truly love each other. Then we'll know we're of the truth. This is what God is working into us. Love. Joy. Peace. Kindness. Patience . . . what I need so much more of! Self control. All of the fruit of the Spirit. Love for others coming from God, working out our salvation as God is working in us.

That's why trust and love, not behavior and feelings, are the measure of whether I am still guilty or not.

There is no fear in love, because fear has torment. Those who are afraid have not been perfected in love. Something like that!

Much love!

Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Re: Condemned by my Own Heart!!!

Postby Sonbeam on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:52 pm

Great post Brother Mark. I have been enjoying all your recent posts that express an accurate understanding of God's
amazing grace that He has His children under.

If God forgave our sins in Jesus, 2000 years ago, well, thinking we are condemned when we sin, that we continue to need to seek forgiveness, isn't that like continuing to send your bank it's monthly payment on a car that's been paid off already?

You are right! There is no need to ask for forgiveness. But the reason is because under the New Covenant, we have NO
sin.

How can that be? Very simple. We are not under law. And where there is no law, there is NO transgression.

The truth about me - and you, who have trusted in Jesus - is that you and I are spotless and pure, righteous and holy, blameless. There is nothing to be condemned for. Nothing to feel condemned over. It's all gone!

This is absolutely true. We are blameless before the Father now and forever more. Hallellujah!

Again, how can this be? Well, a child of God has fulfilled the only requirement under the NT, i.e., to believe in the
One the Father has sent. And the Father has sealed that belief unto salvation through the new birth in the Spirit.
And that is all there is. All a child of God has to do now is wait for the coming of our Savior.

:blessyou:

sonbeam
Sonbeam

Postby mark s on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:10 pm

Amen, Sonbeam!

:a3:

What I think people need to remember is what it means for the flesh to be crucified, for us to be crucified to the flesh. This does not describe a change or control over behavior, it's speaking of our nature. We've been moved from the Adamic Line, children of Adam, to God's Line, children of God.

We focus so much on what our behavior says about us. Well, I'm not saying ignore it, but the bad behavior, see it for what it is. A work of the flesh.

Therefore it is no longer I that sin, but sin that dwells in me.

It's not my work. It's the work of sin, this 'thing' that lives in me. Kind of like a malignant, oh so malignant tumor, that acts out.

My work is to keep the body busy doing righteousness. Because God has recreated me in holiness and righteousness. So make the body conform.

I've been dwelling on a verse from Peter, and for me, the KJV really carries it on this one.

1 Peter 1:13-14

Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:

. . . not fashioning yourselves . . .

That's the part I keep returning to. There's this whole panorama of who I am, what makes me tick. It's everything from my daily wear, the most literal "fashion", to how I think about things, how I set my mind to understand things.

There's how I express myself, and how I think about God.

What I've learned to think is, receive His peace, receive His love, in receiving His grace.

Much love,

Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby Sonbeam on Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:44 pm

What I think people need to remember is what it means for the flesh to be crucified, for us to be crucified to the flesh. This does not describe a change or control over behavior, it's speaking of our nature. We've been moved from the Adamic Line, children of Adam, to God's Line, children of God.

Yes Mark!

We have been made into NEW creations. No longer of the generation of Adam. Our ancestor is now our Lord. We are now of the generation of Christ, the new Adam.

The flesh is a vestige, a left over, of what we once WERE ... offspring of the generation of Adam.

So how has this flesh been crucified? Made irrelevant? Stripped of its power? Made powerless to condemn us?

The answer is simple. The power of sin is the Law because the breaking of the Law brings condemnation and wrath.
BUT where there is no Law, as in the New Covenant, there is NO transgression!

Therefore the flesh can tempt and draw a child of God into unprofitable/not beneficial/contrary to the Spirit actions (called sin under a law covenant) all it wants to, but those actions have absolutely no power to condemn the child of God.

Why? because “there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.” Rom 8:1-2

Praise be to God!!

Shall we "sin" so grace shall abound?

sonbeam
Sonbeam

Postby mark s on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:52 am

Sin so that grace should abound?? After all . . . the forgiveness of my many sins shows the manifold grace of God . . . right??

You might as well ask that after having vomited up what was obviously some food gone bad . . . sorry for my example . . . you might as well ask, would you like to go lap all that back up?

Sin so that grace abounds??

It would be like, after having surgery to remove a diseased liver, dying, and to receive a healthy liver, then ask, you know, that old liver is in the dumpster somewhere . . . would you like to have it dug out and put back in?

No. Grace abounds to remove me from sin. Poison. Death. Evil. Steals, Kills, Destroys.

Sonbeam, you so bless me!

Much love!
Mark
mark s

Postby mark s on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:16 pm

I have to add my agreement, being dead to the Law means no Law. Plain and simple.

So if there is no Law, there is no Law to break. Again, plain and simple.

With no Law to break, there can be no guilt. No punishment.

Only what is good, and pleasing to God, and what is not good, not pleasing to God. And we will find, our tastes, in the end, match God's. What pleases Him will please us. What does not please Him, well, that's the stuff that appeals to our flesh.

As Paul said, "as not under the Law, but not without law, under the law of Christ". Not without control. But not Law. Instead, a personal relationship with the Righteous One, having been remade into a righteous one.

Much love!
Mark
mark s

Postby Sonbeam on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:46 am

mark s wrote:Sin so that grace should abound?? After all . . . the forgiveness of my many sins shows the manifold grace of God . . . right??

You might as well ask that after having vomited up what was obviously some food gone bad . . . sorry for my example . . . you might as well ask, would you like to go lap all that back up?

Sin so that grace abounds??

It would be like, after having surgery to remove a diseased liver, dying, and to receive a healthy liver, then ask, you know, that old liver is in the dumpster somewhere . . . would you like to have it dug out and put back in?

No. Grace abounds to remove me from sin. Poison. Death. Evil. Steals, Kills, Destroys.

Sonbeam, you so bless me!

Much love!
Mark

Likewise Mark!

And Yes, our Lord’s grace/favor abounds!! And to such a degree that it is extremely hard for all of us His children to comprehend.

For this reason, I think that we, even more than unbelievers, need to hear and affirm to each other the good news of the Gospel at every opportunity.

Just like you and I are doing here. :itsgood:

sonbeam
Sonbeam

Postby Sonbeam on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:06 am

mark s wrote:I have to add my agreement, being dead to the Law means no Law. Plain and simple.

So if there is no Law, there is no Law to break. Again, plain and simple.

With no Law to break, there can be no guilt. No punishment.

Amen! PIain and simple, and TRUE!

Only what is good, and pleasing to God, and what is not good, not pleasing to God. And we will find, our tastes, in the end, match God's. What pleases Him will please us. What does not please Him, well, that's the stuff that appeals to our flesh.

As Paul said, "as not under the Law, but not without law, under the law of Christ". Not without control. But not Law. Instead, a personal relationship with the Righteous One, having been remade into a righteous one.

And Praise be to God! that through our Lord Jesus Christ, He has delivered us from this body of death--the flesh. Rom 8:25

:bowing:

Blessings,
sonbeam
Sonbeam

Postby mark s on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Yes, I personally think God's grace is largely underrated. I know I didn't understand for so long! So many years of on-again-off-again Christianity, feeling - that word, feeling! - feeling guilty, feeling alone.

But now I know - knowledge, not feeling. I know I'm am loved. I know I am forgiven. And the Lord Jesus, Who loves me and gave Himself for me, is my Shepherd, and I know I can count on Him even though I can't count on myself, or anyone else. But I can count on Jesus, today, to get me through today, and every day, for rest of my life.

I feel I can't over-emphasize this point. Even though I fail to do what I should, Jesus NEVER fails me!

I know He holds me close, and nothing will ever ever come between us.

Only those times I forget these things, so yes, we remind each other all the time.

Let us come boldly before the throne of grace to find help in time of need. I need Him so much! I need Him most when I'm at my worst.

There have been so many over the years that have taught and told me that in those times, when I am at my worst behavior, that I have to stop, and ask forgiveness, and then I can get back with God again.

I'm so glad they were, in the final analysis, wrong!

And the failings I used to think of as separating me from God, that I was as if hiding from God, I now freely share with Him, so He can help me. Because of His grace. No longer to be ashamed or afraid, or alone. Even then. Just surrendered to His Love.

Much love!

Mark
mark s

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:08 pm

mark s wrote:There have been so many over the years that have taught and told me that in those times, when I am at my worst behavior, that I have to stop, and ask forgiveness, and then I can get back with God again.

Yes, they were wrong, Mark, and praise God that it's not who we are or how we perform that enables us to go boldly before the throne, but because of who He is and what He has done!

And the failings I used to think of as separating me from God, that I was as if hiding from God, I now freely share with Him, so He can help me. Because of His grace. No longer to be ashamed or afraid, or alone. Even then. Just surrendered to His Love.

I believe that when a failure or past sin comes to mind, it should lead us to a greater appreciation of what Jesus did for us. To stay in a state of guilt or shame undermines the finished work of Christ and hinders us from entering His rest.

Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your soul. Matt. 11:28-29  
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby mark s on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:53 pm

Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your soul. Matt. 11:28-29  

Exactly.

I think this is about how I'm coming to understand what it means to trust Jesus for my sanctification.

Instead of fighting for control over myself, I'm trusting that Jesus will lead me into control.

You know, I'm reading this verse over again, and I'm sure I'm not the first person to think this, though this is only my own thought . . . I take His yoke. Is the point that I take His, and He takes mine?

Jesus is my larger than life itself big brother, always there, always loving, always strong, always filled with promise. And when I fail, sins that I hate, He's there to reassure me, We'll get it, don't worry. I'll make sure of it!

And one more burden . . . lifted.

Much love!

Mark
mark s

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:46 pm

mark s wrote:You know, I'm reading this verse over again, and I'm sure I'm not the first person to think this, though this is only my own thought . . . I take His yoke. Is the point that I take His, and He takes mine?

The best understanding I have of that passage is one I shared once before but has clarified it for me so perhaps it will do so for you as well.

I had a dream that I was trying to climb a very steep hill. Across my shoulders was a wooden crossbow like the yoke used on oxen to pull heavy loads. Attached to the yoke across my shoulders was something very heavy. Because of the weight of the load I was pulling up the hill, though I took one step forward, I fell two steps backward down the hill. Climbing was laborious and unproductive to say the least. Discouragement is an understatement!

Out of nowhere came a voice (in my dream) that said, "take my yoke upon you...for my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Immediately (in my dream) that heavy load I was pulling up that very steep hill changed into a large piece of Styrofoam. :grin:

That was the end of the dream, but even though it happened about 10 yrs. ago, I've never forgotten the feeling of that heavy load being carried unnecessarily by me when His yoke is soooo much lighter. Now when I find I'm burdened with something so heavy it's causing distress, I say to Him...."I just can't carry this load, Lord. I'm giving it to you."
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby mark s on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:12 pm

That's good. That's the feeling!

:grin:
mark s

Postby Sonbeam on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:07 am

mark s wrote:Yes, I personally think God's grace is largely underrated. I know I didn't understand for so long! So many years of on-again-off-again Christianity, feeling - that word, feeling! - feeling guilty, feeling alone.

In my experience, God's favor/grace right now continues to be beyond comprehension (and I count myself there most times) by the majority of Christians.

Makes me wonder why our Lord hasn't completely parted that veil yet.

There have been so many over the years that have taught and told me that in those times, when I am at my worst behavior, that I have to stop, and ask forgiveness, and then I can get back with God again.

But this continues to be taught, and most Christians have bought into this. Sad.

However, the good news is that regardless of where we are at in our grasp of His love and grace under the terms of this new covenant our Lord has His children, He knows the terms. And He is faithful to His promises.

John 6:37

All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.

Jon 10:28

I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.

Be blessed!

sonbeam
Sonbeam

Postby mark s on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:23 am

Which segues right back to the OP . . .

:grin:

Even if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our hearts, and He knows all things.

I think He knows we are wrong. When our hearts condemn us. Just flat out wrong!

Much love
Mark
mark s

Return to General Bible Study & Debate