Catechism Study

Catechism Study

Postby nickylouse on Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:43 pm

Is it worth my while studying the Catholic Catechism in order to witness to a Catholic who believes the Bible is just a good book? The disturbing thing this person thinks is that there is a place in Heaven for everyone. He had no religious upbringing and recently converted to Catholicism.
:verysad:
nickylouse

Postby water on Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:33 pm

It has been a long time since I have read this book and I am sure there are many others as good, but you might read this and pass it on to your friend:

The Gospell According to Rome

We will never 'argue' anyone into the kingdom...but we can love them for Jesus.

There are clear, specific doctrines taught by the Roman Catholic Church that are not Biblical; however, we should not assume that no Catholics follow Jesus despite Rome.

Be careful...be patient...let the Lord use you...don't take matters into your own hands. Pray and be willing at all times to serve the Lord in this matter, submit to the Lord's plan and timing.

There may be many, many, many occasions where you hang out with a person you are witnessing to where you never bring up the topic of salvation. Every situation is different...just pray and trust Daddy...he loves both of you more than any of us can comprehend...he has a plan.
Now is the time to be the Sons of Issachar - 1 Chronicles 12:32

My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. - Galatians 2:20
water

Re: Catechism Study

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:52 pm

nickylouse wrote:Is it worth my while studying the Catholic Catechism in order to witness to a Catholic who believes the Bible is just a good book?

Hi nickylouse,

It's difficult IMO to study the Catholic Catechism. The copy I have is a paperback with over 750 pages and most of their doctrine has little scriptural basis. Having a catholic background, I think I can safely say that though they will strongly profess a belief in any one doctrine, most have little knowledge about why they believe as they do.

I have asked several family members "why" they believe a particular doctrine or teaching. I feel that at least it challenges them to question a belief or it's origin.

Along with Jehovah Witnesses, I think Catholics are the most difficult to witness to, but Praise the Lord, since I was once there, I'm certain the Holy Spirit can successfully break through to them!
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Return to How To Witness