The hillbilly that I love...

The hillbilly that I love...

Postby CrystalClear on Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:38 am

Hello!

As I posted in DewDrop, here's my witnessing quandry. I have a former neighbor and still-friend who's a widower in his 60's, in extremely poor health and now mostly housebound.

I have prayed that Abba would send someone that my friend would listen to, and have only felt an increasing pressure to witness in reply. So, it would seem I'm to play a part.

In spite of his rather gritty ways, he's always been unusually respectful of me and I'm hoping that it might be enough to open a door for hearing whatever Abba wants to say through me, as my friend has expressed an interest in the Lord and does believe in Him, but not savingly.

Problematically enough, I've never witnessed in my life and this man is illiterate (so no books or tracts), extremely proud and doesn't trust preachers. The only way I'm going to be able to get things across at the first is through the TV--his medium of choice.

I need suggestions for an accurately-portrayed witnessing DVD that makes things straight and clear. He's expressed an interest in a specific DVD called "The Greatest Story Ever Told", but I know nothing about it. Oh, if we could also avoid the trite little "pray this and you're saved forever no matter what" junk I've seen in various presentations over the years, I'd feel much better.

I appreciate any input folks might have, as I'm really needing help here. This man's soul is on the line and God is apparently going to send a complete ditz (me). I'm willing, but scared. He'll get all the glory, that's for sure!

Abba's tenderness,

CC :grin:
CrystalClear

Postby Lazarus43 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:26 pm

Just a suggestion (you might even ask the "nice guy" you mentioned at the "Dew Drop Inn")...

A man who doesn't trust preachers is not without wisdom. Maybe you could ask your friend if this passage of Scripture makes sense to him and just see where the conversation goes:

Luke 18:9-14 (NASB)
Luk 18:9 And He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt:
Luk 18:10 "Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.
Luk 18:11 "The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: 'God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.
Luk 18:12 'I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.'
Luk 18:13 "But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, the sinner!'
Luk 18:14 "I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Again, it is just an idea.

Blessings,
Lazarus43
“A lie can get halfway around the world before the truth can even get its boots on.” - Mark Twain
Lazarus43

Re: The hillbilly that I love...

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:08 pm

CrystalClear wrote:I need suggestions for an accurately-portrayed witnessing DVD that makes things straight and clear. He's expressed an interest in a specific DVD called "The Greatest Story Ever Told", but I know nothing about it.

The Greatest Story Every Told would be a great discussion starter! It's a 1965 movie of the life of Jesus. Certainly on a par with The Ten Commandments, IMO. If you are not familiar with it, you can read the overview here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greate ... _Ever_Told
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby CrystalClear on Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:50 pm

Lazarus43 wrote:Just a suggestion (you might even ask the "nice guy" you mentioned at the "Dew Drop Inn")...

A man who doesn't trust preachers is not without wisdom. Maybe you could ask your friend if this passage of Scripture makes sense to him and just see where the conversation goes:

Hi, Lazarus43:

Hey, I don't even trust preachers, and I don't need to ask hubby about that passage. I watched my beloved jaw-drop a whole group of local church men on our front porch one day...couldn't have been more direct. They asked him if he knew he was going to hell since he'd just told them he wasn't interested in the Lord. His answer? "Yes, and I don't care". What does someone reply to that? They left in a hurry. He hates preachers. When you get burnt multiple times by Pastors Hairspray and White Teeth, on top of being deeply angry at God for childhood happenings, nothing gets through anymore.

As far as getting through to my elderly "hillbilly" neighbor, I'm not sure how that passage would go anywhere productive. I know why he doesn't like preachers already. I've known his gruff self for over ten years now and the Lord has given me such a love for his soul. I do what I can to encourage him, but this witnessing has really got me stumped.

If you see this, would you mind explaining a bit, please? I guess I'm not seeing your meaning. Also, I know typing is not the most exact way to communicate and things get misconstrued, but I honestly felt some hidden bite to your words (so did my teenagers!). Maybe you didn't mean it that way; I know I'm sensitive. But, if for some reason something I said set you off, I'm willing to take it, but please be more open so perhaps I can clarify better.

Abba's tenderness,

CC
CrystalClear

Sticking to Scripture...

Postby CrystalClear on Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:57 pm

Abiding in His Word wrote: It's a 1965 movie of the life of Jesus. Certainly on a par with The Ten Commandments, IMO.

Hi, Abiding:

Thank you for taking the time to point me in the right direction. I took your link and poked around some more and was disappointed to find that it isn't true to Scripture. I already knew Heston's "Ten Commandments" wasn't. I really have a "thing" for sticking to Scripture, so I guess I'll have to pass on buying him that particular movie, unfortunately.

The Father has a plan, I know...I just have to keep digging!

Abba's tenderness,

CrystalClear

Postby Lazarus43 on Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:49 pm

"CrystalClear,"

Absolutely no "bite" intended. I just thought your husband and your friend both seemed like they were fed up with, "I am better than you so you had better listen to me and do what I say..." messages. No person has the right to sit in God's seat and tell other people that they are going to hell. It is God alone who makes that decision.

As I understand it, the passage quoted was showing how a false religious attitude is worthless and that honest humility is important to God.

I am sorry to have offended you. May the Holy Spirit give you more wisdom than I ever could.

Blessings,
Lazarus43
“A lie can get halfway around the world before the truth can even get its boots on.” - Mark Twain
Lazarus43

Postby CrystalClear on Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:09 am

Lazarus43 wrote: Absolutely no "bite" intended. I just thought your husband and your friend both seemed like they were fed up with, "I am better than you so you had better listen to me and do what I say..."

Hi, Lazarus43:

I just wanted to be open...like I said in my intro, dealing with people is not one of my strengths. The wording, as typed, could have been sarcastic depending on vocal tone. I wanted to make sure I didn't set you off somehow, because I have been known to inadvertently offend others.

On the religious appearances, you're definitely right, and I think it's true of men in general..."don't tell me what to do, show me instead". My husband is a real "guy" kind of guy and he's had prolonged exposure to two serious-looking believers in his life. The one was , well, a geek...as in he wore Dockers dress pants to play racquetball because of "modesty" issues. That was interesting. The other was a real "man's man" (Navy SEAL type) who was also, it turns out, a serial adulterer. :shock:

Thanks for getting back with me on that and explaining farther...I have a line on a possible DVD that the library system here actually carries, so I'll prayerfully watch it and go from there.

Blessings,

CrystalClear

Witnessing tool--Light of the World

Postby LONGINGFORHOME on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:30 pm

CC,
I hope you have had success so far in witnessing to this man you so obviously care for. I have had some success in using this movie, it is in cartoon format--serious cartoon format. I would use caution in showing it to young kids, but for your need it should do just fine. There are clips os the movie that you can see at theis link.

http://www.chick.com/catalog/videos/lotw.asp

the video is called ' Light of the World'. Please keep us updated on your progress, I am interested. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask, I am praying for your efforts.
YBIC,
Patrick
Deuteronomy 4:30-31
When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter days, if thou turn to the LORD thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice; (For the LORD thy God is a merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them.

Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
LONGINGFORHOME

Return to How To Witness