Pray for God's People in Texas

Pray for God's People in Texas

Postby shorttribber on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:58 pm

We need to all pray for the church in Southerland Springs Texas. God is mighty...and his enemies are weak.
That's the Truth. The enemies weak attempts to touch God's anointed will only increase the Power of God in His People!
The Wisest men have changed their Counsels and Resolves upon second thoughts, much more upon experience, and approaching evils not at first discovered. Rev. Herbert Croft, 1675

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Find seven years of tribulation plainly stated in the Bible.
shorttribber

Re: Pray for God's People in Texas

Postby burien1 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:50 pm

I simply can't comprehend the amount of hatred it takes to do something like that, or the lack of feeling.
And the children . . . . :cry:

:bowing: :praying:
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:11 pm

:praying:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:09 am

:praying:

I told the Lord this morning that I miss His presence in our communities. I am so remorseful that America has all but kicked Him out. The results are see it for yourselves.

Here in my city in South Carolina, I remember years back watching the news and you would only hear about the occasional murder in places like Chicago and everyone would talk about how dangerous those big cities are. LITERALLY, EVERY SINGLE NIGHT now here on our local news, they open with "BREAKING NEWS" and talk about who all killed who all here in our town and cities......its here......every day.......unfathomable, but its real and happening here every single day.....

The falling away has already happened. I say that because there are those who think bible prophecy is not being fulfilled much, yet.....I have to disagree as I watch the very spirit of humans act and act out....without the Lord......I am so saddened by this all.

The only answer I can give to myself is to stretch myself above and beyond all of this and towards the Lord with all my might. I cannot be distracted from that, which is my No. 1 goal.....and from that place is how I must reach back outside myself and to the rest of the world. It is the Lord whom we have turned our backs on, and now we do it to each other, constantly.
:cry:
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby burien1 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:44 am

I was reading Facebook an hour after this happened yesterday. It was incredible how many people I saw mocking prayer. They are so brazen about it now. We were warned we would be mocked and reviled.

My state's governor posted about lowering our flag out of respect and he was blasted for saying "Our thoughts and prayers are with the families." They don't realize how they echo the shooter's beliefs.

I go to a small church. I tried to imagine that happening in my church yesterday as we were partaking the Lord's supper. It could have been us. I couldn't imagine being in a better place or a better time to go home. When all my attention was on the Lord. I only hope all those who died were prepared for eternity.

Praying for the killers daughter as well as the surviving victims and families. What a horrible legacy he has left her.
burien1

Postby Jericho on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:04 am

I was reading Facebook an hour after this happened yesterday. It was incredible how many people I saw mocking prayer. They are so brazen about it now. We were warned we would be mocked and reviled.

That's exactly why were in the mess that we are in, burien. Guns have always been accessible, but, with rare expectations, these mass shootings are a fairly recent phenomenon (within the past two decades are so). We could have all the gun control in the world, but it wouldn't solve the problem. It would only address the symptoms, not the cause. The problem is not guns, or mental health, it is a spiritual problem. It's an indication of how sick and spiritually devoid our culture has become. We have kicked God out of schools and and public discourse. We have exchanged biblical truths for moral relativism. We have taught an entire generation that they are nothing but an accident. Is it any wonder why human life has been so devalued? Unfortunately, they are never going to get it unless there is a spiritual awakening. And only God can do that.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:33 am

What Mass Killers Really Have in Common

....whether it’s Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel’s Islam or Robert Lewis Dear’s evangelical Christianity — the defining factor in mass shootings. Perhaps these disturbed men — and 98 percent of mass killers are men — are drawn to the patriarchal traditions upheld by some religions to make sense of or justify their anger and resentment toward women. But we might do better to examine the patterns of violence toward women themselves.

link

Familiarities between Kelley and past gunmen in large-scale shootings

Having a history of domestic violence has almost become standard for many of the men charged with mass shootings in the past few years. The men behind the fatal mass shootings at Orlando's Pulse nightclub, a Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood, D.C.'s Republican Congressional softball practice, Sandy Hook Elementary, Virginia Tech, and, most recently, a concert on the Las Vegas strip — they all had a history of domestic abuse.

Its become so common that the greatest predictor of who will commit a mass shooting is identifying people who've committed domestic assault.

link

Food for thought...it seems anger is the root cause and the weapons used could be guns or any type of vehicle and definitely include a good deal of planning.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jericho on Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:06 pm

Hello Abiding,

I think the problem with the articles you posted is that correlation does not imply causation. It oversimplifies the issue by assuming that a single, simple cause is the reason. In actuality, there are multiple reasons including ideology, mental health, drugs, etc. From the first article:

And before anyone jumps to the conclusion that killers with Muslim backgrounds have uniquely bad histories with women...

Domestic violence does tend to be common in Muslim countries because they treat their women like second-class citizens. But the thing that binds Muslim terrorists together is not domestic violence, its the ideology of Islam.

recall that Robert Lewis Dear, the devout Christian who killed three people and wounded nine at a Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood clinic in November, had a lengthy history of violence against women, including a 1992 arrest for rape and sexual violence.

I really have an issue with them calling Robert Lewis Dear a Christian. Just because he apparently had an issue with abortion, does not make him a Christian. Christians don't murder, period. And it would be impossible to claim to be pro-life when you take someone else's life. His ex-wife said "He was religious but not a regular churchgoer, a believer but not one to harp on religion." I would say he was just plain crazy, and in fact he was deemed mentally incompetent to stand trial.

When Elliot Rodger went on a shooting rampage in Southern California in 2014, killing seven, including himself, he left a video in which he detailed his fury, particularly at women who had rejected him.

Lots of guys get rejected by women, but they don't shoot people because of it. He obviously had bigger issues than women. Something that is often overlooked is that many mass shooters, particularly of the non-Muslim variety, were on psychiatric drugs, and Elliot Rodger was no exception here. I would think this would be more of a correlation than just rejection.

Perhaps these disturbed men — and 98 percent of mass killers are men — are drawn to the patriarchal traditions upheld by some religions to make sense of or justify their anger and resentment toward women.

This is article comes from a lefty site, so men are portrayed in negative terms regardless that most men don't abuse their wives or girlfriends. It would be easy to make a correlation between domestic violence and mass shootings, but I think it stands to reason that bad and violent men are generally not going to treat the women around them well to begin with. That does not necessarily mean their is a correlation between the two. The guy that shot up the church in Texas seemed to have problems with his ex and her family, but by all accounts was also a militant atheist.

p.s.
Sorry to hijack the thread, feel free to move it to a separate thread if it's more appropriate.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby shorttribber on Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:55 pm

Jericho wrote:p.s.Sorry to hijack the thread, feel free to move it to a separate thread if it's more appropriate.

It's not hijacked, it's just as you've pointed out Jericho....it has nothing to do with The kinds of things Abiding is mentioning I don't think.

The only Power Struggle is in High Places where those Spirits Force Antichristian Ideologies.

We will win, Not the Loser and his Dark Seed, the citizens of hades.
The Wisest men have changed their Counsels and Resolves upon second thoughts, much more upon experience, and approaching evils not at first discovered. Rev. Herbert Croft, 1675

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

shorttribber

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Jericho wrote:I think the problem with the articles you posted is that correlation does not imply causation. It oversimplifies the issue by assuming that a single, simple cause is the reason. In actuality, there are multiple reasons including ideology, mental health, drugs, etc.

Jericho, it's not oversimplification when facts and evidence support the truth that violence, abuse, anger and hatred begin and are most often learned in the home. That anger eventually manifests itself in relationships that the child brings with him/her from their own experiences. It does not necessarily erupt in mass killings, although it seems it is often a common underlying factor, but does in abusive treatment of pets, children, and/or spouses or partners, and those of a different ethnicity, race or sexual orientation.

In other words, one doesn't just explode "out of the blue" normally, but has exhibited a pattern of emotional, psychological, physical or sexual abuse over time. The object of the gradual explosion of anger and/or hatred is usually the result of learned behavior.

Hostility is not always directed toward women, but as in the case of Devin Patrick Kelley, to his step-son, his first wife, second wife, and evidently his mother-in-law. Hopefully we will soon learn more about this young 26-yr.-old that may have contributed to his anger but so far there has been no mention of drugs or alcohol as a factor.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby shorttribber on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:41 pm

Abiding in His Word wrote: Hopefully we will soon learn more about this young 26-yr.-old that may have contributed to his anger but so far there has been no mention of drugs or alcohol as a factor.

What we will probably eventually learn is that he was likely motivated by the Same Hate that Motivates ANTIFA. We will also learn that he probably participated in ANTIFA events and activities....I could be wrong about that....but I don't think so.

Time will tell.

shorttribber

Postby Jericho on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:52 pm

Jericho, it's not oversimplification when facts and evidence support the truth that violence, abuse, anger and hatred begin and are most often learned in the home.

I don't disagree with that Abiding, but the article makes an entirely different assertion. It makes it sound like domestic violence is the root cause of all these shootings while ignoring all other factors. Domestic violence is a symptom, not the cause.

Hopefully we will soon learn more about this young 26-yr.-old that may have contributed to his anger but so far there has been no mention of drugs or alcohol as a factor.

We can assume his hatred of Christians was at least part of the reason.

It's not hijacked, it's just as you've pointed out Jericho....it has nothing to do with The kinds of things Abiding is mentioning I don't think.

Thanks shorttribber.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:21 am

Jericho wrote:We can assume his hatred of Christians was at least part of the reason.

Well, that assumption doesn't appear to be the reason. According to Monday's press conference, Martin Freeman (Texas DPS Regional Director) said the incident was neither racially nor religiously motivated.

Dylann Roof's mass murder at a church, on the other hand, was racially motivated. The more likely reason for both murders occurring in churches is that it is they are confined areas with unsuspecting victims and no law enforcement present making escape easier for the perpetrator. These types of mass murders are carefully planned and executed and that includes the chosen venue. Given the anger and hostility directed toward Kelley's wife, child, and mother-in-law, the church building was what they had in common (as well as the grandmother) and the location provided an easy, single location to murder all at one time.

About 20 yrs. ago, I visited a synagogue in my area and was surprised to find several law enforcement officers at the door watching those who were entering. Looking back, the reason was obvious given the hatred by some for the Jews. Precautions are taken when such racial, ethnic hatred is documented historically.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:06 am

Not so fast. Actually, it DOES appear that on top of his various problems, he did hate Christians.....it's being reported here that it wasn't just a "passing kind of hate," either.

https://www.trunews.com/article/former- ... an-atheist

Several said they had either removed him from their friend lists on Facebook, or ignored his attempts to reconnect because he spent much of his time online criticizing Christians and promoting atheism.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 am

Despite these stories, Kelley’s LinkedIn account describes he was once a Sunday school teacher at a Baptist church in Kingsville, about 120 miles south of the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, which was reportedly the church his wife and in-laws attended.

Wondering why we seem willing and almost eager to dismiss the known and documented underlying violence in favor of a perceived hatred toward Christians.... :humm:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:19 am

Abiding in His Word wrote:
Despite these stories, Kelley’s LinkedIn account describes he was once a Sunday school teacher at a Baptist church in Kingsville, about 120 miles south of the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, which was reportedly the church his wife and in-laws attended.

Wondering why we seem willing and almost eager to dismiss the known and documented underlying violence in favor of a perceived hatred toward Christians.... :humm:

Im not dismissing anything. I agree with you about his violence problem....I am personally familiar with a person who fits this guys profile.....abusive towards not only me, but women before me and after me.....and this guy in my history went to my parents neighborhood and defamed the street signs with spray paint, putting my name and my family's name on them....and put a baby doll in my parent's mailbox....totally creepy and totally dangerous guy......who I had a time getting away from. The guy in my past took out his anger in the neighborhood my parents lived in (my parents tried to get him away from me and he took out his anger on anyone who tried to get him away from me).

this guy who went to the church of the girl's parents had a terrible problem with stalking, control and violence....AND he ALSO has a problem with Christians. He rails against Christians with his "other problem" which is atheism.....and so, he went to the girl's parent's church instead of their neighborhood.

I get it.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Jericho on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:02 am

Well, that assumption doesn't appear to be the reason. According to Monday's press conference, Martin Freeman (Texas DPS Regional Director) said the incident was neither racially nor religiously motivated.

I know what the officials say, but I don't buy it. If he wanted to take out his in-laws he could have done that anywhere, like their home. But he chose a church, and killed a lot of people (Christians) that had nothing to do with his family feud. I believe the only in-law that was actually killed, was his ex-wife's grandmother.

Wondering why we seem willing and almost eager to dismiss the known and documented underlying violence in favor of a perceived hatred toward Christians...

There's nothing perceived about it Abiding, that is what his friends are saying. The fact that they even mention it at all means he was fanatical about his hatred for Christians. I'm not saying it was the only factor, but it definitely played a part. He was just a bad guy all around.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:09 am

Jericho wrote:I know what the officials, but I don't buy it.

You don't see the officials who are investigating the case say as credible, but stand on the words of teens from high school approx. 10 or more years ago from a facebook page?

If he wanted to take out his in-laws he could have done that anywhere, like their home. But he chose a church, and killed a lot of people (Christians) that had nothing to do with his family feud. I believe the only in-law that was actually killed, was his ex-wife's grandmother.

If Christians were his target, he might have had much more success in venting his hatred at a larger church rather than one with only about 50 members.

There's nothing perceived about it Abiding, that is what his friends are saying. The fact that they even mention it at all means he was fanatical about his hatred for Christians. I'm not saying it was the only factor, but it definitely played a part. He was just a bad guy all around.

Again, Devin Kelley is 26 yrs. old and served several years in the Air Force where the violence continued that led to a Court Marshall and a year in prison for assaulting his wife and cracking the skull of his step-son. How in the world does that compare to a couple teenagers from his high school saying he was an atheist and hated Christians? And how does that square with his having taught a Sunday School class for a short period of time? Makes little sense to me.

The preponderance of evidence is squarely on his history/pattern of anger, hostility, and assaults on those he was supposed to love imo.

Our culture is filled with violence and we want to blame satan. We overlook violence in sports, angry pastors spewing hatred toward women who have abortions and homosexuals, cover-ups of pedophilia in our churches, and overlook violent porn that is rampant among believers. But we'd rather think we are victims of some long-held hatred committed in a church of 50 members.

Again, I just don't get it....

Our focus and concern should be over the desensitizing of violence we see everywhere today that leads to crime against those with differing ethnicity, gender, age, race, or sexual-orientation. This is sad imo.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby shorttribber on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:23 am

Abiding,
It's what boils down to the Cause, and the Symptoms of the Cause.

That's what we are saying in a nut shell Abiding. Your focus is on the Symptoms...and ours is on the Cause.

Eventually the Spirit of antichrist will be even more in our faces on this earth. The Spirit of antichrist is Against Christ and His People....Period.

The violence is not just a learned thing from society...it is Learned from That Spirit of antichrist.....from the Beginning.

shorttribber

Postby Jericho on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:03 am

You don't see the officials who are investigating the case say as credible, but stand on the words of teens from high school approx. 10 or more years ago from a facebook page?

He was only 26, so his teenage years were not that long ago, 8 years or so. Also, they would have kept in touch over the years on social media. Here's another friend of his. He doesn't say how long ago he unfriended him on Facebook because of his anti-God and anti-Christian rhetoric, but the fact that this detail keeps coming up shouldn't be so quickly dismissed:

http://therightscoop.com/former-friend- ... -facebook/

If Christians were his target, he might have had much more success in venting his hatred at a larger church rather than one with only about 50 members.

I'm sure that it was his ex-wife's family church played a part in it, but again he could have gone after them anywhere. Why do it at a church? Why kill people that were not part of his family feud? That they were Christians were an added bonus.

How in the world does that compare to a couple teenagers from his high school saying he was an atheist and hated Christians?

It's an indication of the spiritual condition of his heart. If he hated God, he will hate those that serve Him as well. That is also true of Satan.

And how does that square with his having taught a Sunday School class for a short period of time?

I'm not sure how true that actually is. Some sources are he taught Sunday school for a brief time, some are saying his ex-wife taught Sunday school. It doesn't vibe with what his classmates said about him, and certainly not the way he lived his life. In any case, Stalin went to seminary and look how he turned out.

The preponderance of evidence is squarely on his history/pattern of anger, hostility, and assaults on those he was supposed to love imo.

But why did he kill so many he didn't even know?

Our focus and concern should be over the desensitizing of violence we see everywhere today that leads to crime against those with differing ethnicity, gender, age, race, or sexual-orientation. This is sad imo.

Violence is a symptom of the problem, it is an indication of our spiritual condition. We are seeing the natural consequences of collectively rejecting God and the gospel truth, is any wonder why our country (and the world) is in such a mess.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby mark s on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Just to toss in my thoughts . . .

The church shooting isn't the story, it's just the end of that story.

I am in agreement with Abiding, and those who disagree with Abiding.

I personally think both side are true.

The kingdom of darkness wants to destroy humanity, and therefore plays on the fears and angers and drugs and all the rest, to get people so deranged as to commit these atrocities. I think it starts in early childhood, is promoted through the "secular" "education", and continues through adulthood to be fed by the media, the internet, drug use/abuse, all the body and worldly influences, as well as the possibility of personal demonic influence/possession.

These people may simply be demon possessed.

The Bible declares that this will become worse, violence increasing, hatred for God's people increasing.

Personally, I think that much of "Christendom", to use Sir Robert Anderson's word, will (maybe not too long from now) "unite" into a massive deception, of unification, signs and wonders, a new age coming of riches and powers and wonders. And we who follow the Bible will be on the outside. I think there will be a extremely strong attraction to join in, and both the darkness and light will seem to grow stronger, but both will be darkness. I think of Jesus' words, if the light in you is darkness, how great that darkness!

The wonderful thing is that persecution, suffering, pain in the believer's life serve to build us stronger. When we are weak, His strength is consummate. And when we are filled with His strength . . .

Much love,

And much prayer for those bereft!

Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby shorttribber on Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:44 pm

mark s wrote:Just to toss in my thoughts . . .

The church shooting isn't the story, it's just the end of that story.

I am in agreement with Abiding, and those who disagree with Abiding.

I personally think both side are true.

The kingdom of darkness wants to destroy humanity, and therefore plays on the fears and angers and drugs and all the rest, to get people so deranged as to commit these atrocities. I think it starts in early childhood, is promoted through the "secular" "education", and continues through adulthood to be fed by the media, the internet, drug use/abuse, all the body and worldly influences, as well as the possibility of personal demonic influence/possession.

These people may simply be demon possessed.

The Bible declares that this will become worse, violence increasing, hatred for God's people increasing.

Personally, I think that much of "Christendom", to use Sir Robert Anderson's word, will (maybe not too long from now) "unite" into a massive deception, of unification, signs and wonders, a new age coming of riches and powers and wonders. And we who follow the Bible will be on the outside. I think there will be a extremely strong attraction to join in, and both the darkness and light will seem to grow stronger, but both will be darkness. I think of Jesus' words, if the light in you is darkness, how great that darkness!

The wonderful thing is that persecution, suffering, pain in the believer's life serve to build us stronger. When we are weak, His strength is consummate. And when we are filled with His strength . . .

Much love,

And much prayer for those bereft!

Mark

I am in complete agreement with that. Amen.

shorttribber

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:23 pm

shorttribber wrote:Abiding,
It's what boils down to the Cause, and the Symptoms of the Cause.

That's what we are saying in a nut shell Abiding. Your focus is on the Symptoms...and ours is on the Cause.

Eventually the Spirit of antichrist will be even more in our faces on this earth. The Spirit of antichrist is Against Christ and His People....Period.

The violence is not just a learned thing from society...it is Learned from That Spirit of antichrist.....from the Beginning.

The fact remains the investigation and press conferences use the very words I'm trying to convey as the underlying cause (if you prefer) of this and other mass murders is anger and hostility with concrete evidence of domestic violence incidents in their backgrounds.

I'm attributing this anger and hostility to the "flesh" while you prefer attributing it to Satan or Spirit of an antichrist.

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,  Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like...Gal 5:19-21

Paul differentiates between the natural/fleshly/carnal nature and the spiritual. But Christians often resort to attributing those demonstrations of the flesh to a satanic origin almost as though they are too repulsive to come from the heart of man.

So my conclusion is that hatred, hostility, domestic violence and murder are works that have their origin in the heart of carnal man; i.e. the flesh as contrasted from the spirit. I also think these types of hateful outbursts are the result of learned behavior which is tolerated and even promoted in many venues in today's culture.

"For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders. Matt. 15:19 
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby burien1 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:53 am

I myself, still believe in demonic possession and influence. The kid at Sandy Hook. The guy that shot up the movie theater. The guy that shot Gabby Gifford and the others was playing around with a demonic religion and lucid dreaming. These people were clearly nutcases.

What causes mental illness ? Inherited ? Not always.

My husband was an abuser, and I knew his parents well, even long after his death. He did not come from an abusive home at all. If anything, he was spoiled.
Why do some people store up their hurt and their anger, and let it turn into bitterness and hatred ? And others exposed to even worse, don't ?

All of us are exposed to many influences from the time we are born. Not just in the home.
What explains the mediums out there who talk to the dead ? Are they all frauds? Or are they talking to demons who pretend to be spirits of loved ones. Or are they co-existing with a evil spirit ?

I believe there are many questions and many answers.

I understand why Jesus compared hatred with murder. Hatred is the opposite of love.

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.
burien1

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:12 pm

All of us are exposed to many influences from the time we are born. Not just in the home.

I wholeheartedly agree, burien1! Exposure to violence and abuse leads to learned behavior. And it comes from a variety of sources; home, school, peers, tv, books, music (heavy metal, rap, etc.), and sadly even some churches where the model is a strict authoritarian that reflects a sense of entitlement based on status, gender, race, ethnicity,physical strength, etc.

Words and actions over a period of time become either a positive example and influence or a negative one. We can't always blame parents, as I had to defend my husband and myself before a judge who was insinuating our teenage son (who was arrested for theft) was the result of our parenting. I asked for the judge to have my son leave the courtroom and told him that our home was one where we provided a good, healthy, moral environment for our children. I continued to tell him of the other influences in his life over which we had little control but disciplined accordingly. He agreed and told my son to get an attorney. We refused to bail him out so he was left to find his own attorney and pay for it over a period of time. He was lucky enough to find one who represented him pro bono but the lesson was one he never forgot. Fortunately he did not have that incident on a permanent record since it was a first offense. So in this case, the behavior was not learned at home.

And some abuse is done in privacy much the same as drugs, alcohol, and pedophilia so we tend to not believe the charges. Col. Russell Williams, commander of Canadian Forces Base beat, sexually assaulted, robbed and even murdered several of the 88 women who were victimized and no one had a clue...not even those in the military. A neighbor said she couldn't believe it because he was so nice and always polite.

I respect that others may see it differently, but imo many crimes we hear of are often directly the result of learned behavior that eventually escalates but at the same time the origin may be immediately undetectable.

I think a search on something like "is violence or domestic abuse a learned behavior" it will confirm the effects it has on children at a very young age regardless of the source.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby burien1 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:55 pm

We had a teenager murder his father here, then dumped his body miles away. Turns out, all his neighbors testified at his trial of the abuse they had witnessed from the father. The mother had died and that left the boy and girl alone with the Dad. It seemed like half the county knew of the abuse. Even teachers at his school. And they all came forward at the trial.

My thoughts at the time were, if so many people knew this, why on earth was nothing done until that boy was permanently damaged ? To me, the whole community was at fault. Why won't people do more to help someone they see being abused ? Especially children or young teenagers. It reminds me of the woman being murdered in New York a very long time ago. She screamed for help and even though everyone around heard her, they ignored it.

With this latest killer. There were so many warning signs. A year in jail for fracturing a child's skull ? That is unacceptable. Our laws don't seem to be protecting the innocent anymore.
burien1

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:53 pm

Why won't people do more to help someone they see being abused ? Especially children or young teenagers. It reminds me of the woman being murdered in New York a very long time ago. She screamed for help and even though everyone around heard her, they ignored it.

Could it be we're "taught" not to get involved? Might be fear. We hear very often of those who have been fired retaliate by killing those who fired them. Or bullies who take out their anger on those who "snitch" on them. Some churches teach parental authority in such a way that perhaps the child/teen feels they have a right to beat them. Bruises are covered up and if discovered by teachers, the child/teen fears further punishment because of the discovery.

Another reason is the desensitization of violence we are experiencing today. Every other TV show, movie, internet story, and other media stories detail very graphic episodes that eventually become common, everyday occurrences.

Lots of reasons, sadly way too many. :(

ETA: Some months ago I watched a program called, "What Would You Do?" One situation involved an elderly woman (actor) lying on the sidewalk evidently unconscious. She had an empty bottle of liquor in her hand and was shabbily dressed. Many people walked right by her.

Then the same scenario involving a young, beautiful, well-dressed woman and the scenario played over and over each time many, many people came to her rescue.

We have prejudices. We like youth and beauty. We dislike shabbily dressed people with alcohol problems.

:(
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby burien1 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:06 pm

Another reason is the desensitization of violence we are experiencing today. Every other TV show, movie, internet story, and other media stories detail very graphic episodes that eventually become common, everyday occurrences.

I was just thinking about this the other day on a totally different subject. We are being desensitized on many different things. Things that use to shock us are now an every day occurrence.
burien1

Postby mark s on Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:44 pm

We have these messages poured into our heads every day of our lives, and our minds form around them.

Synaptic pathways build, ways of thinking are established, behaviors form, lives launch.

Since we're born babies but not born again, this is the mind of the flesh forming. The Mind of Christ comes when we are recreated, later, when we believe.

There's a song,

Here I am before You, falling in love and seeking Your truth
Knowing that Your perfect grace has brought me to this place

Jesus Culture - Rooftops - and no, we don't know need to discuss in this thread the problems with that church

God's been doing a lot of this in me this year. And something I keep bumping up against are all those messages down through the years, many even from my church, that are contrary to God and the Gospel. How difficult it can be to keep the Mind of Christ dominant over the mind of the flesh! Impossible without the Holy Spirit!

Every time we choose a behavior, we reinforce those synaptic pathways which lead to that behavior.

Every time a child hears, sees, experiences, pathways are formed.

I'm finding I need to have a near constant input of either the Bible itself, or of very Godly and building up music, or the like. Thinking about Scriptures. And prayer! Constant personal prayer. As He moves from God to Father to Dad.

I feel like a kid who doesn't know how to live. I have to have Him lead me by the hand.

The renewing of the mind is to subdue the mind of the flesh (body) as we allow the Mind of Christ to control what the mind thinks, what the heart feels, and what the body does. Otherwise the body and it's mind do what they always do. Sin. Our minds are renewed as we surrender our wills for His, and as we learn about Jesus. All the Bible is about Jesus, reading and taking in Scripture transforms us.

I think desensitization to evil is very high on the agenda of the kingdom of darkness.

People growing up in this miasma of evil, what chance do they have without Jesus?

And how desensitized have we become?

And how do we reverse that?

Much love,
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby shorttribber on Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:55 pm

mark s wrote:I think desensitization to evil is very high on the agenda of the kingdom of darkness.
People growing up in this miasma of evil, what chance do they have without Jesus?
And how desensitized have we become?
And how do we reverse that?

Amen again on all points.

shorttribber

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:32 pm

burien1 wrote: We are being desensitized on many different things. Things that use to shock us are now an every day occurrence.

Anyone old enough to remember the movie, "Gone With the Wind" will remember the scene when Vivian Leigh asked Clark Gable, "what will I ever do without you?" (something similar) As he walked out the door, he said, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a d--mn!" The audience gasped...we weren't desensitized at that point and that word was a no-no.

Compare that to the language we hear today. :eek:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby shorttribber on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Abiding in His Word wrote:
burien1 wrote: We are being desensitized on many different things. Things that use to shock us are now an every day occurrence.

Anyone old enough to remember the movie, "Gone With the Wind" will remember the scene when Vivian Leigh asked Clark Gable, "what will I ever do without you?" (something similar) As he walked out the door, he said, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a d--mn!" The audience gasped...we weren't desensitized at that point and that word was a no-no.

Compare that to the language we hear today. :eek:

One "Nudge" at a time......that's the method of choice by those who walk in and With the Darkness.

shorttribber

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:01 pm

shorttribber wrote:One "Nudge" at a time......that's the method of choice by those who walk in and With the Darkness.

It's long been a question of who determines what we see and hear so far as media, movies, tv shows, etc. Do producers give the public what they want or is the public being spoon-fed what the producers want to feed us.

The answer is immaterial in a way so far as Christians are concerned IF we don't provide feedback when we find those things objectionable. I often email my objections to tv advertisements and most often receive a positive reply and appreciation for the feedback. I spoke with the manager at the grocery store about the racy magazines at the checkout counter. She said they were no different than what we see at the beach. I replied, "but I'm not at the beach." She looked a bit like a light bulb went off in her head and covers were installed over the objectionable ones after that. About five years later and that practice is still followed at that grocery chain. Now children (and adults) are no longer exposed to magazines that show more skin than need to be shown in the line to check out their groceries.

When the public speaks up we become one-step closer to exposing the offensive material and hopefully making a difference.. The recent dismissal of Bill O'Reilly is an example. When those he harassed or assaulted spoke up and revealed what happened, his TV program began to lose sponsors until the whole story came to light and then he was fired from Fox News.

When 63 actresses came forth to make their voices heard about sexual harassment by Harvey Weinstein, he no longer has the power he did formerly as his crime has been exposed. Hopefully, the consequences will be severe enough to end that behavior.

When incidents of domestic violence became public knowledge, the NHL began to take notice of the public outcry and administered penalties to players who were guilty. The same outcry about disrespecting the flag during the National Anthem has made a difference in the TV viewing audience as well as the numbers attending the games. (at least that's what I've read)

If we swallow whatever is fed us without at least making our voices heard one way or another, the desensitizing will continue. The manner of protest is important lest we become empty barrels as the Westboro Baptist Church has become.

Just as we shielded our children from sexually explicit media by implementing appropriate controls, we need to implement appropriate measures to voice our displeasure in a manner that will be heard and appreciated (hopefully.) But we can't complain if we remain passive and completely detached imo.

OK, I'm rambling....sorry. :bag:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby mark s on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi Abiding,

I think you've answered my question, how do we reverse this desensitization? Intentionally. Pushing back against it.

Much love,
Mark
mark s

Postby GodsStudent on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:51 pm

My family gets a great laugh at my "phrase."

I have zero tolerance for horror movies. They all laugh at me because I say I refuse to watch any horror movies because I don't want that in my spirit.

I say that because horror movies upset me, make me nervous, give me bad dreams and disturb me.

It amuses everyone because it's "just a movie" after all....right?

I dont see it that way.
All of the violence is begetting more violence.
We need to develop an appetite for the good.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby mark s on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:04 pm

GodsStudent wrote:We need to develop an appetite for the good.

I could not agree with this more than I do!

Much love,
Mark
mark s

Return to Prayer Requests