Financial Hard Times

Financial Hard Times

Postby sacredcowbasher on Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:45 am

It’s been way too long since I posted about what Bugtussle and I have been experiencing for the past three years. I wanted to start a new thread with a title that doesn’t carry the word ‘crises’. The former thread was called ‘Financial Crises’.

I shared about how our mortgage company was working with us in what is called ‘loss mitigation’. They have a loss mitigation department and they send out papers and forms for you to fill out where you can explain your hardship and circumstances. The first trial period, which is three months, failed because we were days away from being able to pay the 908.00 payment. Bummer, but when you don’t have it you put your trust in Jesus and hope for a good outcome.

What is going on now is not ‘loan modification’, but ‘Forbearance’. They looked at the taxes we owe and such and figured that it is a temporary thing. We haven’t gone over the papers yet, we will look at them today after lunch. We have 10 days or so to get them back to them. From what I understand, the payments will be lowered for a season and afterward increased a bit over time to make up for it.

Through all of this I can see growth in Bugtussle’s life. We lost the use of our air conditioner about three months ago and have fans in our windows to generate a breeze along with our ceiling fans. We have been having rain every day and for longer periods than normal which has helped a bit to curb the heat. I haven’t been able to pay the property taxes on the renovation house I was working on and it has been at a stand still for over a year. I don’t know if he IRS will seize the property or not. There are two letters waiting for us at the Post Office which I am assuming is from them. We are making payments on our personal taxes and I haven’t been able to pay my accountant yet, who is thankfully, a Christian and a friend.

God has been speaking deliverance to me. When I was in my daily reading in the book of Deuteronomy a few months ago, I saw this uncanny parallel between the children of Israel and myself. I can’t go into it any further right now, but I’ll just say that I’m ready for deliverance. I’m getting words from church as well about this being soon.

I’m thankful that the Lord has blessed us with work through ‘M’, my boss, who gave me a job for a nice lady in New Orleans because he was so swamped with work. I was working with ‘M’ whenever he needed another person, but this job has been more steady which means more money. It is long way to drive every day, so I’ve been using the Subaru to save on gas. I use my truck when Bugtussle needs the car for us or my brother.

We have been faithful to tithe on everything we earn and on the room and board from my brother because I refuse to deny the power and love of our strong Savior, Jesus Christ. He is able to do everything, and there is no purpose that can be withheld from Him. All things work together for good to them who love Him, and who are called according to His purpose. He can open a door that no man can close, and close a door that no man can open.

Will post when I feel lead, God bless
Gal 2: 14-19 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law ( the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus ), died to the law ( the law of sin and death ) that I might live to God. Parenthetical remarks added are mine.
sacredcowbasher

Re: Financial Hard Times

Postby shorttribber on Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:29 pm

:praying:
The Wisest men have changed their Counsels and Resolves upon second thoughts, much more upon experience, and approaching evils not at first discovered. Rev. Herbert Croft, 1675

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Find seven years of tribulation plainly stated in the Bible.
shorttribber

Postby burien1 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:34 pm

Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby sacredcowbasher on Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Thank you for praying for us. We appreciate the family we have here. God bless you
Gal 2: 14-19 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law ( the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus ), died to the law ( the law of sin and death ) that I might live to God. Parenthetical remarks added are mine.
sacredcowbasher

Postby bugtussle on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:29 am

Thank you all for praying with us and for us. I cannot express what I feel. Crying now. Bless, bless, in Jesus - bless you all. Alleluia! :cry:
For the Lord is good and His love endures forever. His mercy will never fail. Amen.
bugtussle

Postby shorttribber on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:31 am

sacredcowbasher wrote:Thank you for praying for us. We appreciate the family we have here. God bless you
:hugs:
The Wisest men have changed their Counsels and Resolves upon second thoughts, much more upon experience, and approaching evils not at first discovered. Rev. Herbert Croft, 1675

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

shorttribber

Postby shorttribber on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:32 am

bugtussle wrote:Thank you all for praying with us and for us. I cannot express what I feel. Crying now. Bless, bless, in Jesus - bless you all. Alleluia! :cry:
:comfort:

shorttribber

Postby sacredcowbasher on Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:13 pm

shorttribber wrote:
sacredcowbasher wrote:Thank you for praying for us. We appreciate the family we have here. God bless you

Back at ya my friend
sacredcowbasher

Postby GodsStudent on Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:43 am

Hi SCB, just got back to my computer this morning from delivering my husband to the retreat program he has entered into. I am so jealous of him (not really, but wow is he in for a special 4 months of super close time with the Word and the Lord).....what a blessing my husband will be having.....
and you, my brother......what a blessing it was for me to open your email and see you praising the Lord and blessing Him in your trials....THATS THE WAY IT"S DONE! :wink:

Of course I have offered my prayerful requests for resolution for you, and if you feel discouraged (as I sometimes do).....read my thread on my husband and see the miracles He works for all of us, each of us, because truly He is faithful and worthy of our praise (which I know you know, simply reading your thread request testifies to this....Im just rejoicing and fellowshipping with you!).

I can't remember which state you live in, can you remind me? Love you and our beautiful sister in Christ (your bride), too.

Lisa
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby sacredcowbasher on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi GS, I have been following you and your husband’s thread, and it is amazing what the Lord does. I pray that God gives you a special time with Himself as well and of course that your husband’s experience will exceed expectations.

We live in the deep south, in Louisiana. If you know where Lake Ponchatrain is, it used to be the longest bridge in the world until China built a longer one; we live on the north shore. I have been crossing the 24 mile bridge nearly every day to go into New Orleans for work. Doing a job scraping and painting security bars on an uptown home, which is a good thing to have in New Orleans. Appreciate your prayers, God bless
sacredcowbasher

Postby sacredcowbasher on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:22 pm

To update, I want to say that although we are still in financially tough times, our faith has not wavered. We still believe that something good is about to happen. I had a time of disappointment in September because my expectation was very high. It was my 40th anniversary of being born again. Two months before in July, I was reading in Exodus about the children of Israel being in the dessert for 40 years and I saw many parallels between them and myself. They entered the promised land after the older generation died in the wilderness.

Those things are written for examples. With the children of Israel of that time, those who were unbelievers died and did not enter. I believe the bible gives those of us who have failed miserably, back slid, and were rebellious and disobedient, a wonderful mercy through the cross of Jesus Christ. There is always hope for us because we die daily, we put off the old man and put on the new. We deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Him.

In that sense the parallel is that the generation of Israel that died in the wilderness is our old man dying in the wilderness. We don’t take him into the land of promise, he has been crucified. We enter into the land of promise because we are new creatures in Christ. Our faith is in Him and what He did at the cross. The Holy Spirit sanctifies us and we enter the Kingdom of God through much tribulation.

For several months I have worked a lot. Here lately it has slacked some. Several weeks back some Christians repaired our air conditioner, and a dear sister in Christ gave us a sizable financial gift. These things were a tremendous blessing and encouragement. Bugtussle is selling things on eBay, which doesn’t produce a lot but it gives us something and helps us to eliminate some our ‘inventory’. We have many things through the handyman work and elsewhere, and believe me, inventory is the right word.

Our mortgage company has sent us another form to fill out which is for us to show how much money we made in the last 60 days so they can assess how to go forward with us. If God puts it on your heart, pray that it goes well for us. In the meantime, we are excited to see what God is going to do. We are being refined throughout these lean years and we know that all things work together for good to them that love Him and are called according to His purpose.
sacredcowbasher

Postby burien1 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:01 am

It is amazing what the Lord takes us through to stretch our faith in Him. He does provide for our needs. Sometimes right away, sometimes at the very last possible second. And we learn what we once considered needs are not so much 'needs' at all. I hope you are blessed with all your needs met. :hugs:

Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby GodsStudent on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:55 am

Times are getting lean for a good many people. Corporate America has found a way to eliminate our self employed job (my husband and I do legal research for attorneys), and now they want to pigeonhole us into a low salary and force us to work for them. So, we are in the middle of a career change at 50....it's no fun, but certainly, as long as we have our must have needs met, we can adapt to everything else. As to our immediate needs, like you, we are trusting in the Lord for provision and accepting what we cannot change about everything else. I refuse to give up my peace for "things" that money provides. As long as my needs are met, my happiness will not be shaken.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby sacredcowbasher on Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks Burien1, we appreciate the prayers very much. It is good to come to understand verses in the bible such as tribulation works patience, and patience endurance, and endurance hope. And hope causes us to not be ashamed. He has helped me to change my attitude about difficult times, and has helped me to keep an attitude of faith no matter the circumstance, or the weakness, or not seeing how. He is THE answer, the solution, the remedy, and everything we need comes to us from Him and what He did.

Lisa, I can see you guys being excited at least to a degree, at the challenge facing you. Keep us posted now and then as to how things are going. Will be praying
sacredcowbasher

Postby GodsStudent on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:00 am

I sure will. Like you, I am choosing to keep my focus on the Lord and allow Him to work out the details as I continue to try my best to be a good steward of the resources and opportunities I am given. Opposite from what so many say and think (and I hope NOT believe)...the devil is not in the details in our world....oh no!!!! The LORD is in the details. :grin:
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby shorttribber on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:21 pm

GodsStudent wrote:I sure will. Like you, I am choosing to keep my focus on the Lord and allow Him to work out the details as I continue to try my best to be a good steward of the resources and opportunities I am given. Opposite from what so many say and think (and I hope NOT believe)...the devil is not in the details in our world....oh no!!!! The LORD is in the details. :grin:

:a3:

shorttribber

Postby sacredcowbasher on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:09 pm

I want to update whats going on and ask for prayer.

Our mortgage company has given us another loan modification that is called a ‘forbearance’. Bugtussle is selling items on eBay, but they don’t consider that employment. They say until she is employed and can show them her paycheck stubs they won’t do an ‘adjustment’. They would be happy with part time work, so that is a good thing. We are grateful for the forbearance and seeking Him for direction in all things. She cares for my handicapped brother in the sense of meals, doctor visits, groceries and meds. It is a part time job in itself, but she only gets a hundred dollars a month for it. We get six hundred for room and board and that is a blessing for us and we can bless him. It has worked out well now for going on eight years.

As for me, I hanen’t had any work since the new year mostly cause of cold weather. If the Lord lays us on your heart pray that our faith fail not and that His will is done. Thanks, love y’all

SCB
sacredcowbasher

Postby shorttribber on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:57 pm

sacredcowbasher wrote:I want to update whats going on and ask for prayer.

Our mortgage company has given us another loan modification that is called a ‘forbearance’. Bugtussle is selling items on eBay, but they don’t consider that employment. They say until she is employed and can show them her paycheck stubs they won’t do an ‘adjustment’. They would be happy with part time work, so that is a good thing. We are grateful for the forbearance and seeking Him for direction in all things. She cares for my handicapped brother in the sense of meals, doctor visits, groceries and meds. It is a part time job in itself, but she only gets a hundred dollars a month for it. We get six hundred for room and board and that is a blessing for us and we can bless him. It has worked out well now for going on eight years.

As for me, I hanen’t had any work since the new year mostly cause of cold weather. If the Lord lays us on your heart pray that our faith fail not and that His will is done. Thanks, love y’all

SCB

I will keep praying Eddie, we know God is faithful....He will answer us and be our ever present help in the time of need.

shorttribber

Postby sacredcowbasher on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:39 pm

It has been an interesting two or three years now as we experience the greatest storm of our lives to date. Bugtussle and I have matured in the last four years more than the previous 30 years combined, and at the same time our financial situation hasn’t gotten better. When my parent’s home sold six years ago, that bailed us out for a season as we were paying nearly 500 to 600 dollars a month for prescription medicine because we had no insurance.

Today we have Obama Care, so I want to thank everyone for paying for our health care. Not to get on the subject but what good does it do when you can’t afford any tests and you have to pay for lab work a little every month?

In most ways these last four years have been the most exciting times of our lives as we have seen the Lord provide for us in various ways. A member of this board blessed us as well as the Holy Spirit moved them to solve a situation - thank you again for that blessing!

Time and again the Lord has provided for us either through work, or moving upon a christian, or through the sales on eBay. Our bills are sometimes late but we have been able to pay all of them. Our mortgage company is still working with us. We continue to pay our tithes. We haven’t been giving any offerings if they can be delineated from tithing. I’m ok with those who aren’t fixated on 10 percent tithe because I don’t think the new testament is strict on that line. Giving is a grace, and those who give are blessed by God. Give and it shall be given unto you, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, shall men give unto your bosom. Another is - By whatever measure you mete, it shall be meted unto you.

My boss, who does handyman work, gets ahold of many items from tenants who leave them behind, or other reasons, and he has given so much to us that it is a fulfillment of this verse from Jesus. Our home looks like a mess, but we are selling items on eBay and it has been a blessing.

We know that God is going to deliver us out of this situation in His way and in His timing. We are blessed to serve such a great Master. Thanks to all who have been praying for us.

God bless
sacredcowbasher

Postby extravagantchristian on Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:34 pm

I don't know your entire situation but I know from experience that sometimes it's cheaper to rent an apartment than own a house because you don't have to worry about maintenance. But here in Kansas there is a "weatherization" program for people w low income, my mom owns her home and they paid for her to get a new furnace, new ac unit and new appliances. That was a huge blessing.
Also there are health clinics that will provide free or reduced meds to people who qualify.
And if your income is within limits you can qualify for free cell phone.
A cheaper alternative to eBay is facebook marketplace. I've sold a lot of things to people locally through those groups.
extravagantchristian

Postby shorttribber on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:32 pm

sacredcowbasher wrote:We know that God is going to deliver us out of this situation in His way and in His timing. We are blessed to serve such a great Master. Thanks to all who have been praying for us.

Yes! :banana: Amen! will continue to Praise and Pray!

shorttribber

Postby sacredcowbasher on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:11 am

It is funny EC, I often look at our mortgage payments as rent. I will say to Bugtussle, ‘did we pay our rent yet?’, then I correct myself. In a way, until you have paid off your house, the bank pretty much owns it. There are advantages to having a home that you are paying for because it is becoming yours. We came close to selling our house, and we had an agent that we knew come over and talk about things. The agent wanted us to sell our house for 10k less than we paid for it and I didn’t fell right about that so I didn’t sign the papers. That was probably two years ago.

Our a/c went out about a year ago and we went without it for several months, then some Christians stepped in and were moved to help us and it is still working today, praise God! Our refrigerator went out over a year ago and is still not repaired. We brought in the refrigerator we had at my brother’s house, which is being renovated, and we need to plunk ice in it every few days to get it to keep things cold enough. The freezer is not keeping things frozen well enough to keep meat in it for long so we don’t keep much in it.

Health care wise, we have Obamacare this year and once our deductibles are paid our medicine will be pretty cheap. We did qualify for free health care before we got Obamacare two years ago and it was pretty good.

There is a lot of traffic on eBay and most of our items are small. eBay makes three percent of all sales and they make a little when you run out of free listings. The things we have for sale have mostly all been given to us so that helps in making it worth while.

I’m really happy to hear about your mom getting help. It is a blessing that there are programs to help the poor, and it is especially a blessing when God’s people are led by the Holy Spirit to perform His will. I have said often that if the Lord blesses us to do well financially, I want always to be aware and to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit concerning how we might be a blessing to others.

Thanks for the prayers ST. We keep praising Him as well
sacredcowbasher

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:59 am

Hi Brother!
I enjoyed all the comments and information.....one thing came to mind as I read that I wanted to mention.
Drug companies often give free or reduced if you contact them directly (for your medications). I don't know if you've done this for your particular meds, but I do know that for one of my meds a few years back (it was extremely expensive!), I contacted the company direct and they sent my meds to me for like $30 a month supply (normal cost was like 8 or 9 hundred).

I lifted you and my beautiful sister up in prayer this morning. You two are being blessed in a profound way even though it doesnt seem like much of a blessing. Learning to walk lock step with the Lord so that at another time you can look back and see how He was there every day all day is a blessing that not everyone is able to get and....those of us who do get it have a peace that is more valuable than gold itself.

Love you guys! Lisa
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby sacredcowbasher on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks Lisa for those mature words of comfort. I am older now, but I have to say that it is better to get there late than to never get there at all. It is also a blessing to be going through all of this with a wife who loves the Lord and is growing and maturing as well. One of the biggest differences with me is that I can praise God any time whereas in the past if I had been going through something of this nature, at the very least I would be pouting, but more than likely pouting and angry.

I know now that I am not special and I am not insignificant. I am on His path and He is working. It is really a simple life. If I said I didn’t really want to get out of the storm, I kinda like it here, I would be lying. Both of us are looking forward to arriving at the blessing side of the lake, (blessing meaning healing and debt free) but Jesus had peace when the disciples were afraid of drowning. There is peace in the middle of the storm.

As you said, He shows up. Sometimes later than I would like, but not usually. He is amazing. Another thing I don’t feel anymore is like I have failed. In years past I would feel like a failure in this type of situation. Today, I know He holds all the answers and He will reveal and bless. I do need to believe that He is who He says He is and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

On the medication front, I think our insurance is kicking in concerning our meds. My last prescription was pretty cheap at Walmart, praise God!

God bless you and your family
Eddie
sacredcowbasher

Postby GodsStudent on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:35 am

Eddie:
Wow, some really great and human being points you made. Like you, we are now struggling financially....hmmmm.....must I say struggling? We've lost 2/3 of our income due to corporate america taking over the industry and our jobs being taken over by big corporations.....so we're having to change our career at this point in our lives (50).....completely change career.....blows my mind. That said, we don't have any extra income anymore, as we need every penny....but man, do I appreciate that exactly what we need shows up one way or another (as you've testified to so many times). I am not full of worry....I have this perfect peace and am just planning the next steps of our lives (we pray, we plan and then the Lord makes known how it will be...our plans will be tweaked in big or small ways by Him, and whatever He wants is what I want.).

I just get up each day, work morning to night doing the best I can and thanking and praising the Lord, because all of my needs are met....I have need of nothing right now.....wants are different, and for now, unknown as to whether we will get those or not. Either way, it's a perfect day.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby sacredcowbasher on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:33 am

Bug and I appreciate you and our hearts are glad for what God is doing in your heart and life. We continue to pray for you and your family and the biz. Thanks for being a good friend.
sacredcowbasher

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:27 am

Ditto. You guys have been there for me during my trials and growth and I am grateful for you!
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Return to Prayer Requests