Re: Please pray for my mom. Cancer IS back.

Postby burien1 on Thu May 07, 2015 6:08 am

As some of you know, mom had half her lung removed from cancer 3 years ago. They caught it very early. We both have severe degenerative disc disease, so we were hoping for the best when they did a CAT scan on her. It shows a lesion on her spine. They did a bone scan earlier this week, and we see the doctor today for results.

We are never ready to lose someone, especially our moms. But if this is bone cancer, It will change my life in big ways, including preparing my home for sale and taking over mom's. Not ready for that, either.
Please pray for her, and for my family.
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Re: Please pray for my mom. Cancer may be back.

Postby GodsStudent on Thu May 07, 2015 7:01 am

:praying:

Burien1: Please keep us posted on the results so we can pray more specific once the results are known. You and your mom will be on my mind and in my prayers, sweet sister. :comfort:
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Thu May 07, 2015 7:12 am

Will be praying today, burien1...

:comfort:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby burien1 on Thu May 07, 2015 7:21 am

Thank you, GodsStudent and Abiding. Mom's brother is in ICU on a ventilator, and she has already lost one brother 2 months ago. She does not need the added stress.

I have lost 2 uncles and 1 aunt this year. Don't want to say good bye to any more. :( Trying to keep my eyes on the Lord, instead of the storm around me. He brings so many wonderful scriptures to mind right now.
burien1

Postby GodsStudent on Thu May 07, 2015 8:09 am

OH, I wish I was there to support you personally, Burien1. I understand severe grief and stress and pain.....I really do know how your heart aches, and I also remember from my own trials that the Lord makes a way and brings us through. Of course it's difficult, even disasterously painful....there are these places in our lives.....but at the end of this trial, you WILL be able to look back and see the Handprints of the Lord all over the circumstances, and that will bring you joy above and beyond the pain and the trials. My goal here is not to preach to you, but to encourage you thru the trial....to put one foot in front of the other, as this too shall pass, and leave in it's wake a fresh bouquet of "Lord's Breath" (as opposed to baby's breath, lol.... :mrgreen: ).
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Sonbeam on Thu May 07, 2015 9:46 am

Sonbeam

Postby burien1 on Thu May 07, 2015 4:17 pm

Good news is the bone scan did not show lesions elsewhere. Praise the Lord ! Bad news is she has to see an oncologist next. Metastatic cancer or Myeloma can not be ruled out. So it's going to be a roller coaster.
:(
Thanks again for your prayers. :hugs:
burien1

Postby Spreading Salt on Thu May 07, 2015 8:20 pm

Dearest Yeshua,

Please comfort this family and provide for their needs. Help them to trust you Lord. Guide their care and give the MDs wisdom. Strength for Burien and her family Lord. Thank You.

:hugs2:
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby burien1 on Fri May 08, 2015 9:45 am

Thank you Spreading Salt and Sunbeam.
Lisa, at 59 I have known more than my share of grief and stress, but I thank God for the work He did in me each and every time. When I was in the Dr.'s office yesterday, He reminded me of all the prayers going up on our behalf. It was one of "Those" moments. His presence was so strong, and so sweet. He will carry me through this when I can't stand.

Don't remember a day in years where I have not been in pain physically, myself. All the discs in my spine cervical, and lumbar, are shot. Arthritis since my 20"s. Stenosis in both areas. A bum leg and hip that keep me awake at night. Left leg left shorter than right hurt my spine as well. Dr.'s said I would never walk past 30. and God has proved them wrong ! I have had Lyme disease 6 times. First time it took 13 years to diagnose, so a lot of damage was done.

I know all my blessings and strength comes from Him, and the work He continues to do in me. My joy is never stolen for long. Even in times like this.

I am going to need physical strength to care for mom, her home , and mine, if it comes to that. And patience. My mom is a very immature christian, with a cutting tongue, and absolutely NO patience. She has already screamed at me for just trying to encourage her to trust the Lord. She is becoming more child like the older she gets. She has always thrown tantrums. I can't say that they no longer hurt, because they do. I have probably said too much. I am a very private person.

Just remember us in prayer when you can. I pray for everyone on this board. It is amazing to see each one of us grow over the years. :grin: I sit back and smile when I see His handiwork, and more of him in each one of us.
He has blessed me with some great brothers and sisters here, and at my little country church. There is so much strength in fellowship !
God bless all of you, even more !

Mom's appointment is May 20th. So at least I don't have to wait a full month for the next round of tests to proceed.
burien1

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri May 08, 2015 10:04 am

I have probably said too much. I am a very private person.

This reminded me of something similar I said to a friend years ago. I said all the things that were on my heart; anger, disappointment, confusion, etc. Immediately after venting, I felt embarrassed and apologized for "unloading" on her. I'll never forget her gracious response..."it was a gift" she said.

Your comments were likewise a gift to us, burien1. They reflect the trust you have in your brothers and sisters and that enables us to grieve with you when you're grieving, rejoice with you when you rejoice, and pray for you when prayer is needed. That's a gift the body of Christ has been given in general and you have given in particular today.

I will pray for strength, comfort and peace in the midst of very trying situations you are experiencing. Sending love your way, burien1!

:hugs:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby burien1 on Fri May 08, 2015 10:11 am

Abiding in His Word wrote:
I have probably said too much. I am a very private person.

This reminded me of something similar I said to a friend years ago. I said all the things that were on my heart; anger, disappointment, confusion, etc. Immediately after venting, I felt embarrassed and apologized for "unloading" on her. I'll never forget her gracious response..."it was a gift" she said.

Your comments were likewise a gift to us, burien1. They reflect the trust you have in your brothers and sisters and that enables us to grieve with you when you're grieving, rejoice with you when you rejoice, and pray for you when prayer is needed. That's a gift the body of Christ has been given in general and you have given in particular today.

I will pray for strength, comfort and peace in the midst of very trying situations you are experiencing. Sending love your way, burien1!

I love you my dear sister. You are such a mighty blessing to all of us here. (cleansing tears here) :hugs:
Each and every one of you are a great blessing from God.
burien1

Postby GodsStudent on Mon May 11, 2015 6:14 am

Wow, can I get in on this love fest? I love both of you and so many on this board!!! :hugs:
I know I am an extreme in the opposite direction, saying exactly what comes to me in the midst of each day and each trial, before, during and after. I don't do it so much because I need to vent....but so much more because others can gleen something from relating to my own circumstances, even if their own is not a direct relation to mine. We all have the same types of feelings, brought on by a myriad of circumstances, and I get so much out of what others share both here at FP and elsewhere on the internet....so I have lost my fear of letting it all (almost) out in the open.

Faith builders is what I think testimonies are.....we start as a little puddle on the floor and end up standing tall in the Lord, once, at any point in our trial, we've made the conscious decision to turn our matters over to Him and allow Him to work in our circumstances. The less we encumber Him, the greater (and faster sometimes!) we see results....often times results we never trusted to dream for.

Burien, I told my therapist last week that FINALLY my mother's cutting words don't hurt like they once did. I just don't give her opinion of me very much clout (remember the saying "Consider the source." >>>>?). At some point in the past few years I realized that my mother literally cannot see me without rendering a critical blow of some sort....the issue isn't mine, or even what she is commenting on....it's wholly hers....and in a lot of cases, she's outright wrong about whatever she is saying.....Finally, I don't hurt because she can't resist hurting me. She is the one with unresolved issues...that may or may not have anything to do with me....but it is and was always her responsibility to take her own inventory and do something about how she treats others. She does the same to a few others in her life, and this pattern of hers is very destructive to the relationships she has with others....but as long as she thinks it's fine for her to treat others this way, she is going to...and one thing I know is that I cannot cause her to stop doing this...as I've tried to point out that it happens, and she just gets more belligerent and critical....

I used to be really compelled to try and fix all she thinks is wrong with me, but now, I ignore her criticisms more than anything, because she has done more to ruin my own self image than even I have done. For years, I never felt I measured up, because she was always there to remind me of the many ways I don't....now....I work on what I feel led to work on....of the Lord....and I trust the Lord will bring new material to me, without her help....and when He is ready for me to start working on something else...He will convict me in that area......

I am ok today....ok with me, and oddly enough....ok with her....because I pity and feel sorry that she has to bring others down constantly....but I don't have her answers....God does...and as soon as she's ready....she will open that door with Him and they can begin to help her repair all the damage she does to her relationships with others....but it's her issue....not mine.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon May 11, 2015 6:50 am

GodsStudent wrote:Wow, can I get in on this love fest? I love both of you and so many on this board!!! :hugs:

Back at ya, GodsStudent! :hugs:

I used to be really compelled to try and fix all she thinks is wrong with me, but now, I ignore her criticisms more than anything, because she has done more to ruin my own self image than even I have done.

I know we're terribly off topic, but hopefully burien1 will forgive us. :wink:

Your statement above about trying to fix things reminded me that I just a couple days ago sent my son a link to this article...You Can't Fix Everything.

Just a little food for thought...I have sisters who are always trying to fix me because I don't evidently measure up to their expectations. It puts tremendous pressure on me just resisting their efforts. I feel they need to love me just as I am (warts and all.) After all, they have several warts as well. :mrgreen:

We all have negative and positive traits and hopefully learn to focus on the positive more than the negative. If your mom only focuses on your negative (in her perception), allow us to say we see and appreciate your many positives and love you for them!
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby burien1 on Mon May 11, 2015 12:17 pm

I hope all of us here are in on the love fest !!! That was the Lord's new commandment. To love one another. :hugs2:

I learned a while back that when I pray for the Lord to change someone, it is me he changes. He is so much wiser than we are.
My mom is not all negative. She just has never overcome her own childhood. She didn't know I was within hearing distance one time when I heard her tell someone that I would LITERALLY give someone the shirt off my back if I thought they needed it. So I know she is proud of me. I think her actions are really more a form of control, and frustration at the lack there of.

I just pray that whatever comes, she will grow closer to the Lord. And that there will be less of me, and more of Him when I am around her.

I thank the Lord for blessing me with fellow believers here, and at my home church. YOU ARE MY FAMILY ! :a2:
burien1

Postby GodsStudent on Mon May 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Such excellent comments here. Back to topic....sis....keeping you and mom in prayer for all needs and concerns. :hugs:
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby drdos on Wed May 13, 2015 7:33 am

drdos

Postby burien1 on Wed May 13, 2015 10:25 am

Thank you, drdos. So good to see you ! :hugs:
burien1

Postby sacredcowbasher on Tue May 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Praying as well Burien1 and awaiting further news from the test.
Gal 2: 14-19 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law ( the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus ), died to the law ( the law of sin and death ) that I might live to God. Parenthetical remarks added are mine.
sacredcowbasher

Postby burien1 on Wed May 20, 2015 6:27 am

Thank you, Sacredcowbasher.
We have an apointment with an oncologist this afternoon. They sent her for blood work and another CATscan of her upper abdomen last week, so we may know something today, or we may not. They may want a PET scan or/and a bone marrow biopsy.
burien1

Postby burien1 on Wed May 20, 2015 6:19 pm

Good news is she does not have Myeloma. Praise the Lord ! She will now be scheduled for a biopsy on her spine.
burien1

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed May 20, 2015 6:48 pm

:praise:

Thanks for the encouraging update, burien1!
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby GodsStudent on Wed May 20, 2015 8:11 pm

burien1 wrote:She will now be scheduled for a biopsy on her spine.

:( I do know that spinal tumors, especially cancerous ones, are rare...that's encouraging...but I hate that they are going to even touch her spine....I'm sensitive about that, sis. :mrgreen:

Praying that they will be extremely proficient when they work on her spine and that the Lord will give them sound direction in which areas to check...and especially that the Lord will guide all who have anything to do with mom!...also, Lord, please support Burien1 and keep her strong and healthy through all this extra running around she is doing.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby sacredcowbasher on Thu May 21, 2015 5:03 pm

Agreeing in prayer
Gal 2: 14-19 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law ( the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus ), died to the law ( the law of sin and death ) that I might live to God. Parenthetical remarks added are mine.
sacredcowbasher

Postby burien1 on Thu May 28, 2015 8:02 am

She had her biopsy yesterday, and came through it really well. But she is having a hard time walking this week. She said she can't really even describe what her legs and feet feel like. She has fallen twice this last month, and that has me concerned. It isn't like she is a doddering old lady who has just lost muscle mass in her legs. She is very muscular for her age. And usually very active.

We won't get results until we see oncologists next Wednesday.

I am having trouble with my hip, just from walking so far to the parking lot where she has had to have tests. And I have handicapped parking. Hoping for it not to put me back on my cane. Too much to do.

Thank you all for your prayers. God bless you for them.
burien1

Postby sacredcowbasher on Thu May 28, 2015 8:09 pm

Will keep praying.

Burien, I'm guessing that you take ibuprofen or tylenol for the pain in your hip. I try not to take them everyday, but they do work wonders when the pain becomes unbearable. :grin:
sacredcowbasher

Postby Spreading Salt on Thu May 28, 2015 9:32 pm

Dearest Yeshua,

Please give strength and healing.

Amen :a2:
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby burien1 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:13 pm

I hate to report that Mom has stage 4 metastatic cancer. Same cancer that was in her lungs. Now, MRI on her brain and PET scan, and two new doctors to have to see. If they can operate, and it is not in her brain, she may have some time. Needless to say, I am heartbroken.
burien1

Postby Loop on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:02 pm

Prayers for your mom and you, for healing and comfort... :hugs:
Psalms 91
1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Loop

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby GodsStudent on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:52 pm

:cry: I am heartbroken with you, my sweet sister, that it's cancer at all. Joining you in prayer for the best news possible in this current situation. Praying for you and family, as well.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby burien1 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:46 pm

Thank you. It helps to know my family here is praying with me.
burien1

Postby sacredcowbasher on Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:16 pm

I know we were hoping for a better outcome to this point. Even now we can believe God for healing, and I will be hoping that it is not in the brain. I am believing that God being in control, you got this in time and it will not be in her brain and that your mom will have more time to spend with you.
sacredcowbasher

Postby shorttribber on Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:26 am

sacredcowbasher wrote:I know we were hoping for a better outcome to this point. Even now we can believe God for healing, and I will be hoping that it is not in the brain. I am believing that God being in control, you got this in time and it will not be in her brain and that your mom will have more time to spend with you.

Amen to every word :praying: :comfort:
The Wisest men have changed their Counsels and Resolves upon second thoughts, much more upon experience, and approaching evils not at first discovered. Rev. Herbert Croft, 1675

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Find seven years of tribulation plainly stated in the Bible.
shorttribber

Postby drdos on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:25 am

drdos

Postby Spreading Salt on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:38 pm

Lord, a time for everything. This cancer is not news to You. Burien and her family are so discouraged. Please Father, help them to trust You through the days ahead. Your timing is perfect. Help them by growing their faith through these upcoming days. Guide the doctors in this fallen world. Give them clarity in the treatments for her. Strengthen her body for the struggle ahead. Use this time to grow and heal their relationships with You and each other. Lord, we trust You to use every inch of this situation for something good. Thank You Yeshua. Amen.
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby burien1 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:57 am

Mom had her MRI to test the brain monday. Today is the PET scan. The orthopedic surgeon changed mom's appointment to right after Pet scan, upon learning about the numbness and tingling and pain in her legs.

She is on plavix, so I don't think they would operate immediately, but what do I know ?

But, the Dr. can at least tell us the results of the MRI and maybe the PET scan. I am praying we will have as much time as we can with my mom.

My sister asked me for scriptures to read last night, so I am praying she will come to really know the Lord through this.
burien1

Postby burien1 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:51 am

The cancer is not in mom's brain. :banana:
MRI's of the T12 and lumbar tomorrow. Dr. would have admitted her in morning, but have to wait for the Plavix to wear off of her. Best scenario now is if he can remove the tumor, and if the MRI's show that he can, she goes in the hospital for surgery on Tuesday. Still don't know about PET scan results, but this is at least some good news. It gives us time with her, hopefully. :praise:
burien1

Postby Sonbeam on Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:19 pm

Praising the Lord with you burien1 and continuing to pray. :praying:

:blessyou:
Sonbeam

Postby GodsStudent on Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:21 am

:praise:
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Spreading Salt on Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:04 pm

:a2: Thank You Yeshua!!! :bowing: :bowing: :bowing:
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby sacredcowbasher on Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:14 pm

God is good.
sacredcowbasher

Postby burien1 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:29 pm

God is so good to us ! :praise:
Mom's PET scan is negative for cancer anywhere else. :bowing: :bowing: :bowing:

:banana:

They will operate on Friday to remove the cancer from her spine. Going to put screws and rods in from her t-10 down to her L-3. (Cancer is in her T-12) then she will need radiation and possibly chemo.

Thanks you all so much for the prayers and encouragement. :hugs:
burien1

Postby Sonbeam on Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Praises to our Father!

:praying: and praying for a successful surgery for your Mom on Friday.

Our Lord bless you and keep you both! :a3:

sonbeam
Sonbeam

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Sonbeam wrote:Praises to our Father!

:praying: and praying for a successful surgery for your Mom on Friday.

Our Lord bless you and keep you both! :a3:

^^ Yes!

Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:22 pm

burien1 wrote:God is so good to us ! :praise:
Mom's PET scan is negative for cancer anywhere else. :bowing: :bowing: :bowing:

:banana:

They will operate on Friday to remove the cancer from her spine. Going to put screws and rods in from her t-10 down to her L-3. (Cancer is in her T-12) then she will need radiation and possibly chemo.

Thanks you all so much for the prayers and encouragement. :hugs:

hmmm.....Brenda, I am cautiously joyful about the news, but sincerely concerned that you and your mom be prepared for the complexity and difficulty of the surgery she will have to have. This will be a massive undertaking and very difficult on both of you for various reasons. I most earnestly am praying that the Lord carry you both thru this, that He ease both your pain and burdens here, and that He give you both the best outcome possible. The spine carries all the nerves and as such, there can be great pain and difficulty, especially early on. We need to pray you both through this thing, and we will. I love you in Christ my sister, and will be mindful of your circumstances and need for continuous prayer. Lisa
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby sacredcowbasher on Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:37 pm

Rejoicing in the good news and continuing to pray along as has been suggested.
:banana: :praying:
sacredcowbasher

Postby momof3boys on Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:11 pm

hmmm.....Brenda, I am cautiously joyful about the news, but sincerely concerned that you and your mom be prepared for the complexity and difficulty of the surgery she will have to have. This will be a massive undertaking and very difficult on both of you for various reasons. I most earnestly am praying that the Lord carry you both thru this, that He ease both your pain and burdens here, and that He give you both the best outcome possible. The spine carries all the nerves and as such, there can be great pain and difficulty, especially early on. We need to pray you both through this thing, and we will. I love you in Christ my sister, and will be mindful of your circumstances and need for continuous prayer. Lisa

I second this. My fiance had neck surgery for degenerative spine disease about 4 years ago. Cancer and the treatments were not even a factor with this. Even today, he has major pain that he has to deal with constantly. And he is much younger than you or your mom. Stage 4 cancer, of any type, is extremely hard to survive for any significant amount of time. And if the root type is from the lungs, that adds a whole other layer of aggressiveness.

My grandmother had moderate/early breast cancer in her 80's, along with heart problems. They chose not to operate or do any aggressive treatments. She lived a relatively decent life until the very end. That's one option to consider. Just throwing this out there.
momof3boys

Postby burien1 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:33 am

I appreciate all your concerns, but we are taking it one day at a time. My mother and I both have lived with extreme pain for years. My doctor tried to give me anti-depressants years ago because she thought that I had to be extremely depressed with the type of pain I live with. I am NOT depressed, with God's help, and refused her pills. I could tell you how the Lord has used this for good in my life, but my time is very short these days. At the end of each day I am beyond exhausted. But I sleep like a baby in it's daddy's arms.

I will celebrate each bit of good news I get and PRAISE the LORD for it. Anyone of us could be dead in the next hour, including me.

As the Lord said, 'Today has enough troubles of it's own.'

We are very much aware of what lies ahead, and the prognosis for stage 4 cancer. As well as the many risks of this surgery. That is why I have asked for prayer. If I dwelled on everything that lies ahead, I would be overwhelmed. and fearful, instead of being refreshed each day by the Lord. Nothing is coming that the Lord has not already known, and allowed. And however painful, I trust Him. I see through a dark glass. He doesn't.
I love all of you and appreciate your concern, and the prayers to our Lord on our behalf.
burien1

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:08 pm

As the Lord said, 'Today has enough troubles of it's own.'

Love this principle and I try to live by it.

May the Lord bless you minute by minute and day by day, burien1, and provide the necessary strength the same way.

Love to you....

Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:02 pm

:hugs: Hi Brenda: I hope my message didn't take a toll on you. I didn't want to celebrate too big in the face of what lies ahead, and you know me....I spelled it out exactly as I thought it....I've been like that my whole life....no brakes. :mrgreen:

I was thinking tonight as I read on the thread that it is such a blessing that we are able to get this treatment and help in this day and time.

Most importantly, you are right, the prayers of a righteous man availeth much, and whenever two or more are gathered in His Blessed Name, He is among them.

My sister, we are right here with you. Praying, trusting and believing on the Lord for all results.

GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Next

Return to Prayer Requests