Need Your Continued Prayers (Possible Leadership Position)

Need Your Continued Prayers (Possible Leadership Position)

Postby drdos on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:52 am

I was asked by a friend a few weeks ago to consider taking a part-time Worship Leader position at his church. For the past year or so I've been playing lead guitar at a big church in the downtown area. I haven't lead worship in about that time, but I have felt God pulling at my heart to step back into a leadership role. I need your prayers. I sent the search committee my resume and they have moved me on into the questionnaire phase. This won't be my first Worship Leader position. I've been a Worship Leader at 4 different churches in the past, and to say the least I Love that God gave me each of those opportunities although they were all very difficult journeys. Just pray for God's providence, protection and blessings at this time for my family. Blessings!
drdos

Re: Need Your Continued Prayers (Possible Leadership Position)

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:16 am

:praying:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby drdos on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:34 am

Thanks Abiding! :blessyou:
drdos

Postby burien1 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:23 am

Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby drdos on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks Sis!
drdos

Postby Sunny on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:55 pm

May God lead and direct you into the position He has waiting for you. May it bring great joy and fulfillment to you, your family, and great blessings to those you minister to. :praying:
Sunny

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:11 pm

GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby LONGINGFORHOME on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Deuteronomy 4:30-31
When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter days, if thou turn to the LORD thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice; (For the LORD thy God is a merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them.

Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
LONGINGFORHOME

Postby david on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:40 pm

drdos, I pray the Spirit of the Lord will bless you, along with your desire in righteousness, may your spirit and the Lords be in accord as you seek wisdom and understanding. May God write a song for you in your heart and bless you whatever the outcome. God Bless You
david

Postby drdos on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:28 am

Thank you all so much for your prayers, and encouragement. I will keep you all up to date on what is happening.. :blessyou:
drdos

Postby Spreading Salt on Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:21 am

Dearest Yeshua,

Please lead Drdos to either accept or decline this invitation. Your will be done Lord. Help him know what to do. Amen.
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby drdos on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:08 am

Thank you all for your prayers. I have an interview with the church next Sat. Blessings
drdos

Postby jgilberAZ on Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:03 pm

Just something to think on (and be a Berean about, of course).

The Regulative Principle of Worship

The positions on worship addressed in this paper will fall under three primary categories, 1) the inventive principle, which is the Roman Catholic view, 2) the normative principle, i.e. what is not forbidden is permitted, and 3) the regulative principle, i.e. what is not commanded is forbidden. God, in His graciousness, has chosen to reveal to man in His word that which is pleasing to Him in worship. The regulative principle teaches that God has clearly revealed the elements of worship that will enable His people to worship in spirit and in truth. It will be the purpose of this paper to demonstrate that all Protestant worship practices that are not governed by a clear adherence to the regulative principle fall under the normative principle. This paper will also differentiate between the elements of worship, which are governed by the regulative principle, and the circumstances of worship, which are not. Finally, this paper will seek to articulate principles that will be of assistance to those churches seeking to follow more closely the regulative principle of worship as set forth in the London Baptist Confession of Faith of 1689.

Much, much more at the link.
2 Timothy 2:24a..And the servant of the Lord must not strive ...
The meaning is, that the servant of Christ should be a man of peace. He should not indulge in the feelings which commonly give rise to contention, and which commonly characterize it. He should not struggle for mere victory, even when endeavoring to maintain truth; but should do this, in all cases, with a kind spirit, and a mild temper; with entire candor; with nothing designed to provoke and irritate an adversary; and so that, whatever may be the result of the discussion, "the bond of peace" may, if possible, be preserved.
jgilberAZ

Postby drdos on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:38 am

jgilberAZ wrote:Just something to think on (and be a Berean about, of course).

The Regulative Principle of Worship

The positions on worship addressed in this paper will fall under three primary categories, 1) the inventive principle, which is the Roman Catholic view, 2) the normative principle, i.e. what is not forbidden is permitted, and 3) the regulative principle, i.e. what is not commanded is forbidden. God, in His graciousness, has chosen to reveal to man in His word that which is pleasing to Him in worship. The regulative principle teaches that God has clearly revealed the elements of worship that will enable His people to worship in spirit and in truth. It will be the purpose of this paper to demonstrate that all Protestant worship practices that are not governed by a clear adherence to the regulative principle fall under the normative principle. This paper will also differentiate between the elements of worship, which are governed by the regulative principle, and the circumstances of worship, which are not. Finally, this paper will seek to articulate principles that will be of assistance to those churches seeking to follow more closely the regulative principle of worship as set forth in the London Baptist Confession of Faith of 1689.

Much, much more at the link.

Awesome article. Thanks. One of the questions in the questionnaire that I filled out was what I though about "Seeker Sensitive Churches" I basically said that this is a dangerous movement that waters down the gospel. They also asked about the "Emergent Church" same garbage coming out of the "Saddle Back" church movement. Anyway, I think they liked what I had to say since I got an interview. Then again they may want to tongue lash me for my views in that case I will know I'm not supposed to be there.
drdos

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:34 pm

Lets all be prayerful that it's the former and not the latter for the gospel's sake!
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby jgilberAZ on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:33 pm

Amen.
The meaning is, that the servant of Christ should be a man of peace. He should not indulge in the feelings which commonly give rise to contention, and which commonly characterize it. He should not struggle for mere victory, even when endeavoring to maintain truth; but should do this, in all cases, with a kind spirit, and a mild temper; with entire candor; with nothing designed to provoke and irritate an adversary; and so that, whatever may be the result of the discussion, "the bond of peace" may, if possible, be preserved.
jgilberAZ

Postby drdos on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:04 am

:mrgreen: :blessyou: Guys...
drdos

Postby GodsStudent on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:10 am

GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby drdos on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:17 am

(GS)Sis how have you been feeling?
drdos

Postby GodsStudent on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:42 am

drdos, you are such a sweet brother for asking! Actually, my doctor and I have been working hard to get me straightened out. Two visits ago, I was telling him how horrible my knees hurt, and that my regular GP doc had done xrays and said my knees looked beautiful on film. My pain mgt doc said this was the neuropathy and prescibed lyrica (this med costs around 1k for a 3 months supply...highway robbery! :disappointed: ), but, within 4 hours of taking the first tablet, my knees started feeling almost completely better....the pain was the nerve bundles which gather in the knees and then go down the sides of the legs and into the feet....or in other words, the med treats neuropathy....

That was the final med I really needed (and I have to go get more steroids injected in my back soon...no worries, it only hurts a few seconds and feels better for at least a month or two)...but can only get this every 6 months....

So, I am happy to report that I have been doing a little housework (not a lot, but not "none" either :mrgreen: ). The biggest thing is, I am planning for my garden this summer. I am getting all my seed trays sterilized for starting lots of flowers and veggies and a few melons and so forth....of course my family has to help me get my gardens tended to, but I am so excited that I've been well enough to even do what I've done and still be able to walk. A few nights last week (2) I over did and could not walk by around 8pm, (and pain is crazy when that happens).....so I am still learning my limitations, because I get so excited about what I work on that I forget I am doing too much, hehe. ....but to be able to do things at all....a gift from the Lord above (and of course He has blessed me with an excellent pain mgt. doctor who pays close attention when we talk and helps reduce my symptoms, because he knows what I need)!!!

drdos, more important than me!!!..your child.....I haven't seen any updates on her thread in a while....how is she doing?
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby drdos on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:09 am

GodsStudent wrote:drdos, more important than me!!!..your child.....I haven't seen any updates on her thread in a while....how is she doing?
Maren deals with pain everyday in her knees and hips. Her hips continue to go out of place... Although she complains she still smiles and plays with her friends. The Docs have her on some new meds, but not much of a change yet. Hope your doc continues to help, but I'll keep praying for your healing! :blessyou:
drdos

Postby GodsStudent on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:27 pm

You're such a blessing to me...thank you for your prayers, brother.

I really want to suggest Lyrica as something for you to talk with your Dr. about for your daughter...of course, I do not work in the medical field, only know that what your daughter is "feeling" is the nerves ...regardless of what the condition is, lyrica interrupts the feeling as it blocks signals in the brain (I think I have this right?). This medication has singularly had the most significant impact on my relief of the 5 I take. I also have an aunt with RSD (4 out of 5 people who have this commit suicide), and she takes Lyrica and says she hopes to never have to be without it. Some can't take it, but neither me or my aunt have any side effects to report (not significant ones, but I probably do get a little happy if I take the full dose my doctor has me on, but I try to skip part of it, because it will make me sleepy, and sometimes, all my meds combined do make me a little excitable).

When is your interview? Are you excited about it? Keep us posted!!!
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby drdos on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:12 am

GodsStudent wrote:You're such a blessing to me...thank you for your prayers, brother.

I really want to suggest Lyrica as something for you to talk with your Dr. about for your daughter...of course, I do not work in the medical field, only know that what your daughter is "feeling" is the nerves ...regardless of what the condition is, lyrica interrupts the feeling as it blocks signals in the brain (I think I have this right?). This medication has singularly had the most significant impact on my relief of the 5 I take. I also have an aunt with RSD (4 out of 5 people who have this commit suicide), and she takes Lyrica and says she hopes to never have to be without it. Some can't take it, but neither me or my aunt have any side effects to report (not significant ones, but I probably do get a little happy if I take the full dose my doctor has me on, but I try to skip part of it, because it will make me sleepy, and sometimes, all my meds combined do make me a little excitable).

When is your interview? Are you excited about it? Keep us posted!!!
I will ask my daughters ortho Doc about Lyrica. Thanks so much Sis. The interview was yesterday and it went really well. The head of the search commitee called me a couple hrs after to say that they were impressed and wanted me to run services the next 2 weeks as part of the audition process. Please pray that God will use me for His glory. I don't have a great voice. It's OK.... kindah high and weak, :mrgreen: but praise God He has used me in spite of that.
drdos

Postby jgilberAZ on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:09 am

In addition to the meds, might I suggest a ketogenic diet.

It has proven to be helpful in many different maladies.

I have gathered some links here:

Jeff Gilbertson's Wordpress Page
jgilberAZ

Postby GodsStudent on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:29 am

The real question about whether to prescribe these CNS (Central Nervous System) drugs is how much of an impact on daily life the pain or condition is causing the patient. In my case, I report high levels of pain (it all comes from the nerves in my spine and goes down my legs), so the CNS drugs (I take 3 different ones) are important in giving me a shot at a somewhat normal (for me) life. We have several people in our family with RSD, so it is proven there must be a disposition in our family, and I have this condition, which it doesn't matter if it's RSD or something else, the tests show I have serious damage in my spine and leg nerves as to two out of three types of nerves (we have sensory, motor and auto nerves, auto being the ones that beat the heart and eyes and so forth). My sensory and motor were both damaged pretty badly with my accident, and they haven't healed, which my doc says they probably wont). The question is, how much of her condition is affecting her nerves, and to the degree that it is, that is what she "feels".....given her hip is involved, my pain goes from my lumbar spine area, across my hips, it affects the muscles on the tops of my thighs (but more L5 involvement would affect the underside of the top leg), then in my knees it screams bloody murder only because there are nerve bundles in the knees (xrays of my knees, my doc reports my knees look beautiful on film)...so it's the nerves, and not the knees, and then down both sides of my calf (literally on the side of my legs)...in my ankles, more bundles, more achy, and then the tops and bottoms of my feet are affected as nerves are in both places.....

I am only telling you this to help you see it from a nerve perspective, so you can listen to your daughter's symptoms and maybe understand how much or how little the nerves are involved, because the nerves render significant impact (in terms of sensation) regardless of the name of the condition....(ie; RSD, spine injury, diabetic neuropathy, etc)...they all "feel" about the same, with nerves in different areas feeling more or less pain.

I would love a miraculous healing, but in my case, that's all that could help me....my spine has a big tear in it and bones regrow, but spines dont. :mrgreen:

I have offered my most earnest prayers for your situation with the leadership position, drdos. I am very excited to see things transpiring in a positive direction for you! This is the most wonderful news. And...if I may....it is not how you say what you say, but most assuredly WHAT you say that will make all the difference. We always focus on what we perceive as our misgivings, so I won't fuss that you thought it important to point that out, lol...they can turn up the microphone, but perhaps it is your soft spoken voice that is so endearing, because I am loud and often obnoxious (so it seems sometimes!), and that does not make for a HUMBLE and MEEK leader....(the Lord is still working on my temperament, but there is progress ....huge progress....in that area, and I am so blessed that the very things I don't like about me, the Lord is blessing my prayers and helping me be more likeable to others!).....

you press on in your interview process, for just as you are, so far, as you are, you appear to be most desirable for this leadership role. We will keep praying that all glory go to the Lord for all His Great and Marvelous Works!!! :grin:

GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby GodsStudent on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:40 am

jgilberAZ wrote:In addition to the meds, might I suggest a ketogenic diet.

Hi jgilberAZ: We posted almost at the same time this morning. I know you had no way of knowing, but this morning, I awoke and said to myself : How am I going to get my blood sugars down? !!!! I was diagnosed a diabetic a few years ago, but have never taken meds, because I just adjusted the majority of my diet, outing most potato and rice products, soft drinks, and so forth...just paying attention and taking in less, but I still drink my sweet tea and enjoy sweets at least once a day. All of a sudden, two weeks ago, my blood sugars have shot up to over 200 every morning...seemingly overnight. I think it's the addition or increase in my meds that sent it over the top, but I already know my docs say, they'll just give me more meds for the sugars, because the meds are vital to my even walking every day.

So, not wanting to have to deal with controlling the sugars, but wanting to do the right things to eliminate them as far as possible, and then see where I stand, in the past week, I have been coming to terms with the fact that I must eat a high vegetable diet with meats and nuts (hunter/gatherer scenario)...then you post the gathered information just above my post where I would be sure to see it.....

God is so good to us. I barely got my coffee going good today before I had an answer to my own prayer, which is, Lord, where do I go with this issue?
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby jgilberAZ on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:18 pm

God's timing is perfect.

Most type II diabetes can be controlled by diet alone.

The hardest part is getting over the fear of fat.

Review the links ... I always say it's easier to stick with LCHF (ketogenic) if you educate yourself on the nutritional facts.

That said ... the link "How Much Protein ..." is great. It takes you to a calculator that helps determine what amounts of carbs, fat, and protein you should be eating.

I track everything I eat on fatsecret (usually using their iPhone app), so I know exactly how many grams of each I get every day.

May God bless your efforts to be a good steward of the body He's given you.
jgilberAZ

Postby drdos on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:53 pm

Thanks You So Much!
drdos

Postby drdos on Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:55 pm

GodsStudent wrote:

Hi jgilberAZ: We posted almost at the same time this morning. I know you had no way of knowing, but this morning, I awoke and said to myself : How am I going to get my blood sugars down? !!!! I was diagnosed a diabetic a few years ago, but have never taken meds, because I just adjusted the majority of my diet, outing most potato and rice products, soft drinks, and so forth...just paying attention and taking in less, but I still drink my sweet tea and enjoy sweets at least once a day. All of a sudden, two weeks ago, my blood sugars have shot up to over 200 every morning...seemingly overnight. I think it's the addition or increase in my meds that sent it over the top, but I already know my docs say, they'll just give me more meds for the sugars, because the meds are vital to my even walking every day.

So, not wanting to have to deal with controlling the sugars, but wanting to do the right things to eliminate them as far as possible, and then see where I stand, in the past week, I have been coming to terms with the fact that I must eat a high vegetable diet with meats and nuts (hunter/gatherer scenario)...then you post the gathered information just above my post where I would be sure to see it.....

God is so good to us. I barely got my coffee going good today before I had an answer to my own prayer, which is, Lord, where do I go with this issue?
The Lord Is Good!
drdos

Postby drdos on Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:00 pm

GodsStudent wrote:The real question about whether to prescribe these CNS (Central Nervous System) drugs is how much of an impact on daily life the pain or condition is causing the patient. In my case, I report high levels of pain (it all comes from the nerves in my spine and goes down my legs), so the CNS drugs (I take 3 different ones) are important in giving me a shot at a somewhat normal (for me) life. We have several people in our family with RSD, so it is proven there must be a disposition in our family, and I have this condition, which it doesn't matter if it's RSD or something else, the tests show I have serious damage in my spine and leg nerves as to two out of three types of nerves (we have sensory, motor and auto nerves, auto being the ones that beat the heart and eyes and so forth). My sensory and motor were both damaged pretty badly with my accident, and they haven't healed, which my doc says they probably wont). The question is, how much of her condition is affecting her nerves, and to the degree that it is, that is what she "feels".....given her hip is involved, my pain goes from my lumbar spine area, across my hips, it affects the muscles on the tops of my thighs (but more L5 involvement would affect the underside of the top leg), then in my knees it screams bloody murder only because there are nerve bundles in the knees (xrays of my knees, my doc reports my knees look beautiful on film)...so it's the nerves, and not the knees, and then down both sides of my calf (literally on the side of my legs)...in my ankles, more bundles, more achy, and then the tops and bottoms of my feet are affected as nerves are in both places.....

I am only telling you this to help you see it from a nerve perspective, so you can listen to your daughter's symptoms and maybe understand how much or how little the nerves are involved, because the nerves render significant impact (in terms of sensation) regardless of the name of the condition....(ie; RSD, spine injury, diabetic neuropathy, etc)...they all "feel" about the same, with nerves in different areas feeling more or less pain.

I would love a miraculous healing, but in my case, that's all that could help me....my spine has a big tear in it and bones regrow, but spines dont. :mrgreen:

I have offered my most earnest prayers for your situation with the leadership position, drdos. I am very excited to see things transpiring in a positive direction for you! This is the most wonderful news. And...if I may....it is not how you say what you say, but most assuredly WHAT you say that will make all the difference. We always focus on what we perceive as our misgivings, so I won't fuss that you thought it important to point that out, lol...they can turn up the microphone, but perhaps it is your soft spoken voice that is so endearing, because I am loud and often obnoxious (so it seems sometimes!), and that does not make for a HUMBLE and MEEK leader....(the Lord is still working on my temperament, but there is progress ....huge progress....in that area, and I am so blessed that the very things I don't like about me, the Lord is blessing my prayers and helping me be more likeable to others!).....

you press on in your interview process, for just as you are, so far, as you are, you appear to be most desirable for this leadership role. We will keep praying that all glory go to the Lord for all His Great and Marvelous Works!!! :grin:

I pray for the Lord's miraculous healing on your body, but like I told my daughter today sometimes healing comes when the Lord takes us home and for me that would be the best for all of us. Bless you you have really touched my heart today.
drdos

Postby GodsStudent on Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:54 am

Earlier, I was exposed to some "more charismatic church folk" who insisted that I wasn't being healed because I didn't believe it in the Lord's Name. I left that church one night, after a particularly intensive and grueling "brow beating" by the brethren on the same, and never returned.

I have also undergone criticism from family who have seen one family member with RSD given very super strong narcotics to deal with their condition. He was mostly out of his mind every time we saw him and underwent significant personality changes, so when I insisted I needed narcotics as well as other meds to help me even walk, they were much, much unhappy. I do take a narcotic medication around the clock, muscle relaxers and 3 CNS meds, but this has been carefully orchestrated by a very talented pain mgt. doctor, along with my input, and of course, tests. I chose the narcotic, which is a "new kind" (nucynta). I noticed two things right away, it works, but not as well as the "oxy types" and second, I have no discernable side effects from it when I take it...so I specifically asked/ask for this one, because I can do my job, don't get irritable and short tempered (as I do with the oxy types), and for the better part of a year, I've been doing fine with them. CNS drugs are also tricky. I have learned from my pain mgt. doc that there are drugs and cousins to those drugs, so there has been some testing....for example, my doc would try this med, I would wake up feeling like I was in a tunnel, never take it again, and the next time I see him, I tell him I took it once, but it made me drunk, so I never took it again, and he would say...ok, lets try this "cousin" to that med...gets same results, but isn't same formula, and that next one might do the trick.

Pain mgt. requires a good doctor who uses tests and is very well versed on all the meds and listens closely to his patient....I guess I am saying this in the event you have to walk these ropes with your child at any point. I imagine it would be much harder with a child than for an adult to communicate directly with a doctor. Also, this might help others, I don't know???? I know for me, when I was looking for how to proceed with my spine injury, coming across good information on the net was hard.

I like to beat myself up with the scriptures on "pharmika." On the other hand, before my medications, I was LITERALLY walking curled over, at a turtle's pace, like literally a 90 yr. old person walks. That is not real good for a mother and wide, who has a full time job and doesn't want to surrender her life for a bed. Just yesterday I was shopping for groceries with my husband and I noticed all to myself that I was walking at his pace and had very mild pain....I was keeping up.....never happens...he didn't notice, but I did. It has been a process getting to this place, but what a milestone for me.....of course, I can't do full days, because we use our backs for most everything, and as I use mine, I deteriorate, even with my meds, rather quickly....but I am far better off than I was before my pain mgt. doctor and the meds we use to enable me to function as a wife and mother....and I just don't see where this is a bad thing......it really beats laying around and watching everyone else take care of me!
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby drdos on Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:02 am

I have an update on this for you all. The service this past Sunday went really well. I could absolutely feel the leading of the HS. After the service I received tons of great comments(even from a couple of the elders from the church), but from the head of the search committee I got a different story. He told me that the majority of what he was hearing was that no one could hear my voice, (He said that I needed to keep the volume of my voice steady rather than going up and down in volume..... so no dynamics) and that I needed to bring out the scripture in the songs that we were singing. Also he said that he had a private question to ask me about one of the answers I gave during my interview. When they asked me during my interview if I was married I said "Yes" for almost 22yrs, and prior to that we were together for 5 yrs. OK so grant it I should have said we were dating in those five yrs but some thought that I meant that we were living together for those 5 yr.s :doh: OK so here is my question why didn't anyone call me before allowing me to lead the church to clarify this question? :roll:
OK so here was the set list for Sunday.
Call to Worship Song "Because of Your Love"(I did play electric guitar on this one but it was clean) Paul Baloche
1st song. "Love The Lord" by Lincoln Brewster
2nd. ""All Creatures of Our God" David Crowder version (All Acoustic/even had a cello do the intro to this hymn)
I read scripture 1John 4:7-10
3rd. "How He Loves" D. Crowder
offertory I played classical guitar ("Where Sheep May Safely Graze" JS Bach)
Closing song "Holy" by Brenton Brown.

All in all I am leading worship at this church this Sunday (all part of the audition) When my wife asked me if I really wanted to serve at this church I had to really think about it, and my answer is yes. This church is about 80% under the age of 40, and yes most of the great comments I got were from the younger families in the congregation. Was God being worshiped this past Sunday? Yes it was a really great time of worship, and that is why the surreal questions/comments from the search committee really hurt. Need your prayers and God's wisdom to deal with what the end result will be. Blessings.
drdos

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:07 am

:praying: drdos, in reading your post, my candid response is, the people interviewing you and giving you feedback are only doing their job and telling you what they would tell anyone doing this early on....in order to instruct and guide you before "unleashing" you to do your own. I doubt they were trying to be critical, but more trying to critique.....that's my impression. In my thoughts, if this is all they said, they were actually positive, because they would have to say something or they wouldn't be doing their job.

I also agree that you should pick scripture that goes with the sermon as opposed to picking some really great music (not saying you picked really great music, but saying that if you are preparing the program, this is how it should be done). This behavior gives all of us a chance to become familiar with all the hymns and broadens our worship experience because of that.

I have prayed and I know you are set for this process due to all the prayers.....but I still expect it will be a process....even if you're picked or not picked...because either way, you will examine, learn and grow from the experience. I do hope that since you want to do this, you will be picked, and you will experience, learn and grow from that perspective.

Gotta get to work. God Bless you, brother!
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby drdos on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:16 am

GodsStudent wrote::praying: drdos, in reading your post, my candid response is, the people interviewing you and giving you feedback are only doing their job and telling you what they would tell anyone doing this early on....in order to instruct and guide you before "unleashing" you to do your own. I doubt they were trying to be critical, but more trying to critique.....that's my impression. In my thoughts, if this is all they said, they were actually positive, because they would have to say something or they wouldn't be doing their job.

I also agree that you should pick scripture that goes with the sermon as opposed to picking some really great music (not saying you picked really great music, but saying that if you are preparing the program, this is how it should be done). This behavior gives all of us a chance to become familiar with all the hymns and broadens our worship experience because of that.

I have prayed and I know you are set for this process due to all the prayers.....but I still expect it will be a process....even if you're picked or not picked...because either way, you will examine, learn and grow from the experience. I do hope that since you want to do this, you will be picked, and you will experience, learn and grow from that perspective.

Gotta get to work. God Bless you, brother!
Thanks for the insight Sis. Yeah all the songs were picked because the Sermon topic was on God's Love... The search committee head wants me to bring the scripture out of the songs.. :humm: I'm going to have to ask for some clarification on that... Anyway, when someone does well I am one to encourage them and then if I'm in the position to give guidance I do that. I guess I am a different kind of leader in that I look to encourage what is good, and help to give direction where there needs to be improvement... Anyway thanks Sis.
Last edited by drdos on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
drdos

Postby LONGINGFORHOME on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:20 am

:praying: :praying: :praying:
Deuteronomy 4:30-31
When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, even in the latter days, if thou turn to the LORD thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice; (For the LORD thy God is a merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them.

Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
LONGINGFORHOME

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:04 am

when someone does well I am one to encourage them and then if I'm in the position to give guidance I do that.

I don't mean to be contrite, but your reward is in heaven, brother. :mrgreen:

It is often that on this planet, my needs and expectations are not met by others. I pay attention to others and can see that some don't care deeply enough and others just plain aren't that smart or attentive. Having figured out in a lot of cases that they aren't intentionally harming me, either by neglect or ill willed intentions, I am able to let a lot of stuff slide these days. Sounds like your interviewer neglected to mention the positive along with the negative.

The love of MANY will grow cold and I hope that anyone reading this will think on that today. The fact is, even with Christians, love is growing colder by the minute. I can't tell you how disappointing it is to me that there is so much strife among us these days. People are being petty a lot lately, and purposefully loving others has become a non priority in the books of many....its a shame, its excepted (because scripture told us this was coming), and yet....when I see personalities (even here on FP) purposefully being mean spirited, it makes me cringe.....If one really loves Christ, then it should be a personal goal to reach out to others and ensure they are lifting them up....all others....not just the ones that someone really likes....that's the mark of true maturity in one's walk with Christ.

Sorry, I got a little long winded, but this has been on my mind of late.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby drdos on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:54 am

GodsStudent wrote:
when someone does well I am one to encourage them and then if I'm in the position to give guidance I do that.

I don't mean to be contrite, but your reward is in heaven, brother. :mrgreen:

It is often that on this planet, my needs and expectations are not met by others. I pay attention to others and can see that some don't care deeply enough and others just plain aren't that smart or attentive. Having figured out in a lot of cases that they aren't intentionally harming me, either by neglect or ill willed intentions, I am able to let a lot of stuff slide these days. Sounds like your interviewer neglected to mention the positive along with the negative.

The love of MANY will grow cold and I hope that anyone reading this will think on that today. The fact is, even with Christians, love is growing colder by the minute. I can't tell you how disappointing it is to me that there is so much strife among us these days. People are being petty a lot lately, and purposefully loving others has become a non priority in the books of many....its a shame, its excepted (because scripture told us this was coming), and yet....when I see personalities (even here on FP) purposefully being mean spirited, it makes me cringe.....If one really loves Christ, then it should be a personal goal to reach out to others and ensure they are lifting them up....all others....not just the ones that someone really likes....that's the mark of true maturity in one's walk with Christ.

Sorry, I got a little long winded, but this has been on my mind of late.
Love you Sis! You are right on.
drdos

Postby Spreading Salt on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:58 am

Dearest Yeshua,

Please help him find the right position, if this is the church or another. Thank You for encouraging him through. Amen.
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby drdos on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:20 am

Spreading Salt wrote:Dearest Yeshua,

Please help him find the right position, if this is the church or another. Thank You for encouraging him through. Amen.
Thank you so much for your prayers. I have decided to step away from this process. They(G.C.of Castle Rock) are looking for a type of leader that I am not. I pray that God would have them (The Pastor and Those that Give the most financially to the church) search their hearts and return to him. They have a real struggle between the Traditional/and Contemporary cultures in their congregation. When an elder of the church comes up to me on Sunday and says Thank you so much for being here and that that was a great time of worship. He then goes on to tell me that his responsibilities as an Elder at the church are up soon, and that he would love to be part of the praise team something is wrong when all I am getting from a couple of leaders is all negative. When 20 some congregants come up to me and do the same, as well as 2 members of the search committee who are on the praise team say they are so excited for the church, something is wrong. My wife had a meeting with one of the women from our current church yesterday. Sharon and this woman are trying to start a Christian counseling team at the church for troubled youth. This woman's husband is a praise team member with me at Plum Creek where we currently attend. What I came to find out is that a number of us on the praise team at Plum Creek used to attend G.C. of Castle Rock, and they ended up leaving the church due to it's coldness and other things. I didn't know any of this prior to entering this process. Not sure why this happened but maybe it is God's way of giving this church a chance at returning to their first love. Anyway, thank you all in praying for me during this time. Blessings
drdos

Postby drdos on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:23 am

This is what I just got from the Director of the search committee. I only share this with you because you are my family.

Thank you Vince. And thank you for all the time and effort you put into
looking into the possibility of being used by God to lead us in worship!

You are a wise, godly servant who is sensitive to what the Lord wants
you to do in serving Him. I sense no ego-driven agenda at all in you,
and that is a rare trait, especially when it comes to music.

It has been our pleasure to meet with you and work with you for this
brief time!

Mac
For the Worship Director search team
drdos

Postby drdos on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:54 am

And from the Pastor. This was for a Contemporary Worship Leader position by the way :(

Vince,
I got the note from you saying that you are pulling out of the Worship Leader search process at Grace. I must say I am disappointed that you are stepping away from this process. I love your heart and your warmth. I think your contemporary sound could be great for many in our congregation. We may have to go to both a contemporary and a traditional service. You certainly are gifted in contemporary leadership. Your time in prayer before making this decision must be honored... but I am still disappointed. I wish we could have at least met with you and talked through this together.
Let me ask you this. Are you still willing to lead our worship this coming Sunday? We are counting on you doing that. It would be a blessing to us for you to fulfill that commitment.
In His Love,
Harlan
drdos

Postby Sunny on Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:05 pm

Heavenly Father, please give drdos your direction in this so clearly and so strongly that he cannot mistake what you are saying to him. Either open the door wide, or slam it shut.

And please place drdos in the center of Your perfect will.
Sunny

Postby sacredcowbasher on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:02 pm

Hi drdos, My wife and I are fellow praise and worship members. We were on a praise team at a local church for about two years. There were some things happening that were getting harder and harder to overlook. When it becomes difficult to be yourself things start to get hard. There is definitely an aspect of having fun while serving the Lord. If you are doing what He wants you to do, there is a love for it.

I began to pray about the situation and God spoke through a Thanksgiving Camp Meeting where I was able to listen to multiple services every day. I was surprised that He led us out of that church. I was prepared for us to stay. I prayed it about several days to make sure I was hearing right. This was about a month before the Christmas Contata. I felt bad on the one hand because I sang in the choir, the quartet, and part of the praise team played on two other songs.

I let my pastor know as soon as possible that we were leaving, and he advised me not to, sighting that because God didn't show me a place that we would be going to, it was not God. Then he asked me the same question you were asked. He said, 'You made commitments and you should keep them and then afterwards we will send you two off'.

I honestly felt the Lord didn't want me to participate and that when He said to come out, I felt it was from that week like starting now. I told my pastor that I didn't believe God wanted me to do it.

What I read in your post, if I am seeing it right, is that when you discovered the history of how your church came out of the other one, and that they did so for spiritual reasons, things became clear to you of what to do. It wasn't that the Lord had to speak to you, because in essence He did.

I would say, don't go against your conscience. If you feel that going to lead worship there would glorify Him, and then you would be done with the process, or, if you feel that you couldn't in good conscience do that, be fully persuaded with whatever way you feel led.
Gal 2: 14-19 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law ( the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus ), died to the law ( the law of sin and death ) that I might live to God. Parenthetical remarks added are mine.
sacredcowbasher

Postby drdos on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:00 am

sacredcowbasher wrote:Hi drdos, My wife and I are fellow praise and worship members. We were on a praise team at a local church for about two years. There were some things happening that were getting harder and harder to overlook. When it becomes difficult to be yourself things start to get hard. There is definitely an aspect of having fun while serving the Lord. If you are doing what He wants you to do, there is a love for it.

I began to pray about the situation and God spoke through a Thanksgiving Camp Meeting where I was able to listen to multiple services every day. I was surprised that He led us out of that church. I was prepared for us to stay. I prayed it about several days to make sure I was hearing right. This was about a month before the Christmas Contata. I felt bad on the one hand because I sang in the choir, the quartet, and part of the praise team played on two other songs.

I let my pastor know as soon as possible that we were leaving, and he advised me not to, sighting that because God didn't show me a place that we would be going to, it was not God. Then he asked me the same question you were asked. He said, 'You made commitments and you should keep them and then afterwards we will send you two off'.

I honestly felt the Lord didn't want me to participate and that when He said to come out, I felt it was from that week like starting now. I told my pastor that I didn't believe God wanted me to do it.

What I read in your post, if I am seeing it right, is that when you discovered the history of how your church came out of the other one, and that they did so for spiritual reasons, things became clear to you of what to do. It wasn't that the Lord had to speak to you, because in essence He did.

I would say, don't go against your conscience. If you feel that going to lead worship there would glorify Him, and then you would be done with the process, or, if you feel that you couldn't in good conscience do that, be fully persuaded with whatever way you feel led.
You are so Right On... I really think God used me here, as he did others in the past to tell this church that they have lost their first love and that the Lord wants them to return to him. Not that the Lord wanted me to stay there. My heart really hurts for them, and I pray that the Holy Spirit would help them to put down the petty differences and come back to Him. Thanks for your insight. Blessings.
drdos

Postby drdos on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:03 am

Sunny wrote:Heavenly Father, please give drdos your direction in this so clearly and so strongly that he cannot mistake what you are saying to him. Either open the door wide, or slam it shut.

And please place drdos in the center of Your perfect will.
Thank you for your prayers Sunny!
drdos

Postby GodsStudent on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:21 am

drdos, I say pray and follow as you feel led. I will tell you this....I had a friend in CA. who used to work in a Casino before getting saved. She said she felt the Lord was asking her to go back to work in the casinos and she was confused. She said she followed what she felt the Lord was telling her to do anyway. This lady has dreams. She said she hated being there and her only solace was the friends she met while working there. She said she sat in the break room reading her bible and praying every time she had lunch or break.

Two days before 9/11 happened, she had a dream that was relatively specific about two airplanes flying into buildings and ultimately bringing them down. On 9/10 she went to work and in "breakroom discussion" she witnessed to a few of her coworkers that she felt strange, because she had the dream, it was upsetting, and yet, she didn't understand it. She talked to her coworkers of how the Lord had always given her dreams, but how this one was stumping her.

Needless to say it didn't take long for her, and all she had told about this to come to an understanding.

She told me that on 9-12, she quit her job and so did several of the other employees. They started a home church at her house and it was still going strong last I spoke with her.

This "cold" church may need your warmth. It struck me that in one of the responses you got, the writer used the word "warmth," while you used the word "cold." Of course, I do not know what is going on inside you and I am not second guessing you....only thought of this story as I read your original response, particularly in light of the opposite descriptions you and the writer of the note gave.

:hugs: I know you will (or may have already) made the right choice, particularly for you and your family.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby GodsStudent on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:23 am

You are so Right On... I really think God used me here, as he did others in the past to tell this church that they have lost their first love and that the Lord wants them to return to him. Not that the Lord wanted me to stay there. My heart really hurts for them, and I pray that the Holy Spirit would help them to put down the petty differences and come back to Him. Thanks for your insight. Blessings.

Very interesting. You posted this as I was writing my response to you!!! Cool....huh? So you already know your work is done there, and what it was! That's awesome....
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby drdos on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:41 am

GodsStudent wrote:

Very interesting. You posted this as I was writing my response to you!!! Cool....huh? So you already know your work is done there, and what it was! That's awesome....
My friend who plays on the worship team sent this to the elders of the church in response.

I have to say I am not at all happy with the way the church has treated Vince. I know it is in Gods hands not ours, but if we do not treat our candidates better and have better communication as to what we are looking for then we won't find anyone. Honestly who would want to work in a hostile environment, with all the in-fighting, traditional / contemporary I know you are trying to keep everyone happy, but that never works. This church has a great pastor and a great youth leader but without a great worship leader (and I am not saying that Vince was the end all be all) we are not going to grow. We need to reach the young crowd that Mr Bill is pulling in so that they want to bring their moms and dads to church. Diane told me that last Sunday when we were doing the opening song (that was new) there was a high schooler singing his heart out, He was being filled with the Spirit of God. And when Vince prayed the Holy Spirit hit me so hard it brought me to tears.
What God showed me in my wallowing this past week is that He wanted me to show this church His heart. Trust me I am not the most talented musician, or singer, but I believe God showed this church His heart through me and that is what they are missing. It feels awesome to feel used of the Lord even though things ended the way I would not have wanted. If I had continued I think the fighting in the church would have gotten worse, and I don't feel that is what God wanted. He wants them to put away their petty differences and fix their eyes on Him.
drdos

Postby Resurrection Torchlight on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:48 am

Looks like you have had a bit of a bumpy ride throughout this process Vince. My husband and I and our son were a worship team for about 5 years in our former church. We were involved in that transition from traditional hymns/organ to the more contemporary/keyboard/guitar music. At the time we were in a pinch as a church, because the very talented woman who had played the organ and headed up the choir got an aggressive form of Parkinson's disease and couldn't play any more. There were many older folks in the church who were sad to see tho organ go, but we had no one who could play and even trying to hire someone was difficult. So we stepped into the gap. My husband was an elder at the time and he wisely guided the leadership to get feedback from the congregation so that they would have buy in on the whole process. The congregation was surveyed and in the end we had three worship teams that rotated weeks. Because we took the congregation's suggestions into consideration and they had a part in the process in the end they had to support us. We ended up doing a mix of hymns and contemporary music and it seemed everyone was on board and relatively content with the worship music.

The elderly should not be overlooked in lieu of the younger, there should be a balance. Personally I think our modern churches place way too much emphasis on music. And as for our kids, I think they would just as soon forgo it all together and focus on deeper understanding of the word of God and prayer. Their lives are saturated with music and entertainment, they really don't need it at church and if that's all they come for then my guess is it's all they'll get out of it. My own kids thought worship music was very shallow and self centered. There is something to be said about how those old hymns had depth and doctrine in them, there are some very nice contemporary versions of some of those hymns. Anyhow I will step down off my soapbox now.

Praying that the Lord leads you to where you can best serve Him with your gifts and talents.

RT
Resurrection Torchlight

Postby sacredcowbasher on Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:26 pm

Hi drdos, glad I could help a little. Please let us know if the Lord is still calling you to a leadership position, and if you ever try out again let us know so we can pray. God bless you and your family
sacredcowbasher

Next

Return to Prayer Requests