Changing my church affiliation

Changing my church affiliation

Postby daffodyllady on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:46 am

Perhaps to most of you, this doesn't seem like a big deal.

But I was raised Conservative Mennonite. All of my huge family, whom I love, and who love me, are strict mennonite. When I leave, they will feel I have turned my back on God, and they will grieve terribly.

I don't want to hurt them!

But God has shown me that this church does not follow the Word. They look good on the outside, but that isn't what God is after. They examine each other to make sure everyone measures up... speaking evil of those things they do not understand.

I am so hungry for more spiritual food. I long to fellowship in the Spirit, as this church cannot understand. I simply cannot bear any longer to hear the things of the Spirit being mocked.

I really did believe that I Cor 11 said women were to put a cloth on their heads to pray or prophesy, until very recently.

I was praying about where to go to church... and in my prayer, I saw a vision, clearly as day:
I saw a little white church, deep in the forest, beside a huge ditch, and a woman with a very large, heavy white pleated Amish covering. Immediately, I understood that God wanted me to go read I Cor 11 again. "ARGH! I thought! Not THAT subject again!...Nevertheless, at Your word, I will go read again."

I went and read, and came seeing. It was as if God performed cataract surgery on my spiritual eyes! God was simply telling both genders to look like the gender that He created! Androgyny dishonors our Creator. God created women to WANT feminine hair--otherwise she will feel bald. And this is the covering He gave her for her baldness. Simple. Like the Gospel. I knew the Truth, and I was FREE!

Since then, He has been opening my eyes to other things. I know I will be leaving this church. Soon. I am not sure when. I give that to God. He tells me that He will bring it to pass, in His time.

I dread the confrontation with the ministers. I hate confrontation.
I dread hurting my family, and my life-long friends.
And I will feel like a stranger in American culture.
I was raised to think and act Mennonite. I don't know that I will ever be able to truly fit in anywhere. But I know I cannot stay here.

Pray that I will find a church HOME. Pray that I will communicate truth and love to my family, and that their eyes will be opened. And pray that I will be kept on the path of Truth.
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Re: Changing my church affiliation

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:07 am

Hello daffodyllady,

Jesus will surely strengthen and comfort you as He did Paul when he transitioned from a OT law of doing to the freedom of the NT being. Your family and church associations will be in my prayers that the eyes of their heart will be enlightened to know that you must follow your convictions and truth as revealed by Jesus.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might
. Eph.6:10

:praying:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Mrs. B on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:06 am

Changing my church affiliation.....

Praise the Lord Dapffadyllady......It is Jesus that saves us not the church.....we are the Church....
what a relief it is when we come to the relization that it is Jesus pluse nothing....
I went through them all....first catholic...then the church of christ, then Baptist, then Christian....then received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit so Full Gospel, Penticostal and on and on finally Realized it is Jesus......It is Jesus that Saves us not the Church doctrine....But Jesus and His Word......The Holy Spirit of God and the Living Word of God that Saves us in Jesus.......Father, Son and Holy Spirit....Three in One Jesus......Only Jesus Saves and His Living Word....We make up the Church....Glory....Walk in the Word....Revelation comes from the Word....coming to full Gospel...understanding...
It is all complete in Him....Glory....God bless you....walk in present Truth....Jesus is the Only Way....Mrs. B
Mrs. B

Postby Loop on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:48 am

Daf, you are most deffinatley going to be in my Prayers along with all your family members and church family.
I know a little about what your going through, a little, although I didn't come from a family as deeply rooted as yours undoubtedly is.
I was raised in the WWC of God (Herbert Armstrongs) , you can take someone from something they were raised in but its even harder to take what they were raised in "out of them", it hasn't been an easy road for me, still isn't, but it gets better. Hang in there..
Psalms 91
1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Loop

Postby burien1 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:08 pm

I will be praying for you, Daffodyllady. That is a huge change, since it is not just a church you will be leaving. Our first love is the Lord, and I know he will strengthen you. I've learned to let the Lord do the convicting in my life, and not the guilt trips of men. Praying you will be a beacon of light to all your family. Praying for your family, as well.
:praying: :hugs:
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:05 pm

:praying:
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Spreading Salt on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:55 am

Dearest Yeshua,

Thank You for all You are doing in this situation. Strength and courage for Daffy through this. May she be encouraged. Thank You for the new freedom and awareness. Help her land in the right body of believer's where she can continue to worship, serve, and learn Your truths in the company of others. Protect her heart and mind. Calm her fears. Amen.
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby CrystalClear on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:28 am

Praying, ma'am. Went through the headcovering / dresses thing about ten years ago, myself. Slow and steady, take breaths when you need to. He's definitely there.

:blessyou:

CC
CrystalClear

Postby SueAnn on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:54 am

:hugs2: Daffy, You are one of my favorite people here. I wish I could do something to make your family life easier. Feel free to contact me at any time, if you need someone to scream at. :wink:
ﺗﻜﻮﻳﻦ 12
وَقَالَ الرَّبُّ لأَبْرَامَ: «اتْرُكْ أَرْضَكَ وَعَشِيرَتَكَ وَبَيْتَ أَبِيكَ وَاذْهَبْ إِلَى الأَرْضِ الَّتِي أُرِيكَ،
فَأَجْعَلَ مِنْكَ أُمَّةً كَبِيرَةً وَأُبَارِكَكَ وَأُعَظِّمَ اسْمَكَ، وَتَكُونَ بَرَكَةً (لِكَثِيرِينَ).
َأُبَارِكُ مُبَارِكِيكَ وَأَلْعَنُ لاعِنِيكَ، وَتَتَبَارَكُ فِيكَ جَمِيعُ أُمَمِ الأَرْضِ »
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Postby daffodyllady on Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:50 am

In May, I took the plunge.
I had been visiting around, and had found a pentecostal church I felt pretty comfortable in. The main thing I was looking for, was a church in which I was free to worship with "all that is within me." I have been praying in tongues for over 23 years, and the Mennonite church was in doubt about that.. questioning that perhaps, even though I was a sincere Christian, perhaps my tongues were of the devil. That was just too much to bear.

So, I wrote a letter to my Mennonite pastor, and told him why I was leaving. I did not know at the time that the day he got my letter, he would be leaving for a week, out of town, to hold meetings elsewhere. He came back the following Sunday, which was an interesting day. I had agreed to take care of Mom, which meant taking her to her own church; the Mennonite church. There was a visiting minister from about 100 miles away. His sermon touched on almost everything I wrote as concerns about this church in my letter to the pastor. (All except tongues, of course.) His sermon was obviously a confirmation from God of my concerns as written in that letter!

The following day, the pastor called me to discuss my letter. Of course, he was very much in opposition, and asked me how I knew God was leading me this direction. I pointed to the sermon the day before. He was quiet a little bit and then switched gears, pointing out the personal favors he had done for me. I was really disappointed at that. I didn't think he would be so petty as to make it a thing about how I owed him personally.

anyhow.

I have completely switched churches, and am very happy. Am growing in the Lord. My prayer life has seen the biggest change. There are prayer rooms at church, and everyone is encouraged to come up to an hour before services, to pray. This has sparked a tremendous change in my spiritual life. I have broken through a wall, it seems. It used to be that about 20 minutes was about all I could pray, until I was prayed out. Prayer has changed now. Instead of mainly being about talking TO God, now it is mainly about simply worshiping Him. I sit at His feet and just "love on" Him. And He "loves on me" right back. I spend as much or more time listening for His voice as I do talking to Him.

God has begun to use me in this church. I have been asked to teach an adult class, and have been asked to sing a few times. This would never have happened in my old church. God is telling me there is a singing/speaking ministry ahead for me.

I feel God has opened the windows of heaven and is pouring out spiritual blessings!

I have stopped wearing a headveiling, except for when visiting a Mennonite home. I feel it is a cultural thing. So I choose to be a Roman to the Romans. However, I am not wearing Mennonite regulation cape dresses anymore.

Even so, my family and old church is grieving as if I have left the Lord completely. They really do think I am walking away from God.
To them, it's worse than if I had died.
I wish I could set their minds at ease, but there's really nothing I can do about it.
I had to choose between my family and my God, and I made my choice.
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby bchandler on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:01 am

Hi Daff...

I recently read the E-book "The Secret of the Strength - What Would the Anabaptists Tell This Generation?" by Peter Hoover.

It is an exposition regarding what made the early anabaptist movement so powerful. It is available on-line free, and easily located via a google search. If I remember correctly, he is a Mennonite church historian of sorts, although rather more freelance than "officially sanctioned".

It was of course, this anabaptist movement that spawned the Mennonite church, the Amish, all the way down to today's Pentecostals and baptists.

I found it an interesting and heart rending read. To see the early anabaptists walk so freely in the Holy Spirit... INCLUDING THE GIFT OF TONGUES, and from there to descend into the legalism and infighting between factions, and the "excommunications" that resulted in the various factional splits including that of Menos Simmons, which of course became the Mennonites.

I found his book eye opening towards both early church history, and the dangers of being overly legalistic.

Interestingly, his own conclusions in his book were, that unless the Mennonites returned to their "First Love" relationship with Jesus via their love for living according to Christ's teachings and the book of acts examples of the Apostles, the Mennonite church was doomed to a slow decline as the old died off and the young fled a church system that had become too rigid and legalistic for its own good.

I was pleased to read that you found a Pentecostal as opposed to a charismatic church. As from my own personal study of church history as well as God's word I feel that the Pentecostals are more closely following the Spiritual path laid out for us in scripture.

But I don't really know of any group that is living that communal book of Acts lifestyle that was lived by the early church, and emulated so effectively by the early anabaptists.

I wish, hope, and pray the best for you as you seek out your ever deepening relationship with the Lord.

YBIC,
Bart
I am not a god or a doctor, and nothing i say should be construed as medical advice or even as correct. I am merely a living soul who is exercising my unalienable rights, endowed upon me by my creator, and recognized in the Constitution for the united States of America, to freely speak about the things i believe. No other soul should grant my words any weight without first determining their credibility and/or accuracy for themselves.
bchandler

Postby bchandler on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:28 am

Below is a link to several e-books I have found very interesting. Especially the one I mentioned previously, and Behold The Lamb. The One on the Russian underground church looks interesting also, and I think I am gonna hafta make some time for it.

I hope you find these as informative, and a blessing, as I did.

http://www.gw.org/Books.htm
I am not a god or a doctor, and nothing i say should be construed as medical advice or even as correct. I am merely a living soul who is exercising my unalienable rights, endowed upon me by my creator, and recognized in the Constitution for the united States of America, to freely speak about the things i believe. No other soul should grant my words any weight without first determining their credibility and/or accuracy for themselves.
bchandler

Postby daffodyllady on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:24 pm

Those books do look interesting.

I must say, I am learning and growing in my new church. One issue that I found troubling was the issue of tongues being freely used at every service, uninterpreted. I felt this was counter to Scripture. However, I have seen that in those churches that put a damper on tongues, requiring all tongues to be interpreted, or else not to be spoken in church, ended up with no tongues at all after a number of years. They lose even the tongues plus interpretation! So, what gives?

I also noticed that in the Word, we read of God being completely in control of public meetings, where the Spirit fell on many people, and they all spoke in tongues and prophesied. The day of Pentecost is one instance. It also happened in other places in Acts. Now, you have to admit, that if God in 100% in control of a situation, since He is not the author of confusion, that whatever He did falls within the definition of "decently and in order." Perhaps we have humanly-defined parameters of our personal preferences when it comes to what WE call "decent and in order."

If you read I Corinthians 12 through 14, you will find that there are two lists of spiritual gifts, and then a discussion of how certain gifts operate differently in different situations, and have different effects, depending on the audience and setting.

The common disagreement over tongues is whether or not uninterpreted tongues should ever be heard in the church setting. On the surface, it would seem such is forbidden by--
1Co 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
1Co 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

But if you notice, the context is not talking about "personal prayer tongues". It is rather talking about "public address tongues". These are "differences of operations" of tongues. So, if there is no interpreter, the tongues-speaker is to keep silence, and speak to himself and to God.

So, what does "keep silence" mean? Please notice the same word is used again 6 verses later:
1Co 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches...

I know of NO ONE who believes this means that women must be absolutely muzzled in church services. The most strict interpretation I know of limits this "Keeping silence" to public address. And that really does seem to be in keeping with the overall tone of verse 28, also.

Please notice, that after it says "let him keep silence in the church" it right away says "And let him SPEAK to himself, and to God." Therefore, the speaking keeps on happening, right there in the assembly, BUT it is no longer a public address--now it is a personal prayer.

Depending on the culture, one is distracted more or less easily during church. The Amish are distracted from worship by musical instruments, so they think they cannot be of God. But they simply are not used to them. Their distraction proves nothing. Same with our discomfort or distraction by hearing praise or prayers from co-worshippers during church.

On the day of Pentecost, some of those who heard mocked, because they did not understand. This only came forth from their unbelieving hearts. In the same meeting, there were those who heard the same tongues, and it was used by God to draw them to faith in Christ. Thus, tongues fulfill
1Co 14:21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
Thus, God intends for unbelievers to hear tongues. Otherwise, how could it be used as a sign to them?

This is the only explanation I can find that fits with ALL the evidence of Scripture. And it squares with what I have seen over the years in all kinds of churches.

Sorry for the Loooooooooooooong post. This was the first time I wrote down my thoughts on this subject.
Daffodyllady
daffodyllady

Postby bchandler on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:35 pm

And very well formed thoughts they were. From the spiritual maturity of your statements I can tell that what you are learning about the proper exercise of certain gifts is coming from people and a church that seems very well grounded in solid biblical teaching.

Looks like you found a good church home Daff.
bchandler

Postby david on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:52 pm

daffodyllady, your original post moved me and now I'm happy to see you may have found a new home. At one time in my younger adult life I use to be Seventh-Day Adventist. I left the church after seven years, the truth was I just drifted away. I felt spiritually empty I could not keep all the rules. It was very hard to part with some of my friends, they were great people. Through the years on my Spiritual walk I learned a few things. (At least a couple) When I focused on performing I noticed others performance. The harder I tried the more I felt judged while I judged others. When I trust in God's grace and live in his love, I can live as a child of God and see others as his children instead of judging them.

I hope and pray the best for you and that your old friends will grow and learn as you have.
david

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:57 am

david wrote: When I focused on performing I noticed others performance. The harder I tried the more I felt judged while I judged others. When I trust in God's grace and live in his love, I can live as a child of God and see others as his children instead of judging them.

Love this, David! So true...
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby daffodyllady on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:56 am

David, thank you. I have been through all that judgmental stuff. I think one can develop such a mindset in almost any traditional church. SO glad to be delivered!

bchandler, thanks for your kind words...
I'm actually working on writing a book...
I think I'll call it "Becoming Pentecostal".
Daffodyllady
daffodyllady

Return to Prayer Requests