Caring for Mom

Caring for Mom

Postby RaptureReady on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:12 pm

I have been caring from my elderly Mother for many years and have been able to continue working while leaving her home alone. However, her last hospital stay resulted in the case worker advising me Mom is no longer safe to be alone while I work. I can't afford in-home care while I work (they charge more per hour than I make). I need my income to pay bills. Mom has so many medical bills from previous hospitalizations and does not have the money to cover her needs. I am going to take a leave of absence, but I can't be without an income for very long. I have no other alternative at this time. There are no other family members who live near us to help. I have a Sister who lives out of the Country but does not help at all. Mom does not want to go into a nursing home. I need your prayers my Christian Sisters and Brothers.
Where God's finger points, there God's hand will make the way. When you put your hand in God's hand, you will never walk alone
RaptureReady

Re: Caring for Mom

Postby SueAnn on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Rapture Ready,

Please contact your local government, particularly the group with a name that contains the word, "Aging". Not only will they advise you on what government agencies are set up to help in this situation, they will point you to other groups that can help. You are NOT alone. Reach out for help, on behalf of your Mom, even if you are not comfortable asking for help for yourself. Also, your Mom is eligible for Food stamps and medical assistance. If she is over 65 years old, and her only income is Social Security, her share of paying medical bills should be $$$-ZERO-$$$.

Remember, regardless of how our welfare system has degenerated, it was initially started to help widows and their children, just as the bible dictates. Yours is a PERFECT example of a TRUE eligilibility for government assistance.

Also, in order to take good care of your Mom, you must remain strong, therefore you must learn to take good care of yourself. Look for support groups in your area. Contact your local library and ask for names and addresses of folks who are in the same boat as you. Get connected. Contact churches and see if they have anything set up to help your generation take care of your Mom's generation. You are absolutely NOT alone.

Hugs, and may God Bless you richly for taking "Honor Thy Mother and Father" to a level of obedience that many others would not.
Feel free to contact me privately.
SueAnn (24/7 caregiver to her 92 year old Mom)
:blessyou:
:hugs:
ﺗﻜﻮﻳﻦ 12
وَقَالَ الرَّبُّ لأَبْرَامَ: «اتْرُكْ أَرْضَكَ وَعَشِيرَتَكَ وَبَيْتَ أَبِيكَ وَاذْهَبْ إِلَى الأَرْضِ الَّتِي أُرِيكَ،
فَأَجْعَلَ مِنْكَ أُمَّةً كَبِيرَةً وَأُبَارِكَكَ وَأُعَظِّمَ اسْمَكَ، وَتَكُونَ بَرَكَةً (لِكَثِيرِينَ).
َأُبَارِكُ مُبَارِكِيكَ وَأَلْعَنُ لاعِنِيكَ، وَتَتَبَارَكُ فِيكَ جَمِيعُ أُمَمِ الأَرْضِ »
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Postby RaptureReady on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:40 pm

God bless you Sue Ann. My post is only a few minutes old and God has already blessed me with your comforting words. I will follow up on the research you advised. I'm sure I will have some questions and will definitely reach out to you. Thank you so much for offering :hugs:
Where God's finger points, there God's hand will make the way. When you put your hand in God's hand, you will never walk alone
RaptureReady

Postby burien1 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:05 pm

:praying:
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:20 pm

Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby laney on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:55 pm

"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be [people] of courage; be strong." (1 Cor. 16:13
laney

Postby RaptureReady on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:29 pm

Thank you too, burien1, Abiding and Laney. I appreciate your prayers too more than you will ever know.
RaptureReady

Postby GodsStudent on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:57 pm

:praying: Hi RaptureReady: I know SueAnn is right about there being options out there for you. My aunt traveled this road with my grandmother, and actually, still travels this road, and there were resources out there for her. I prayed and know the Lord will help you resolve these issues by and through knowledgable and caring people.....All the best for you both. Lisa
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby RaptureReady on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Thank you GodsStudent for your prayers and words of encouragement. I am so grateful.

I am going to meet with a social worker this week. She works for the home health agency who will provide temporary nursing and home health aide assistance to Mom. Medicare pays for this service but they only come in a few times a week and their visits are only about 30 minutes. I'm hoping this social worker can enlighten me as to what is available in our area for people in our situation.

Thanks again, Lisa :hugs:
RaptureReady

Postby laney on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:45 pm

praying all is working out...:praying:
"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be [people] of courage; be strong." (1 Cor. 16:13
laney

Postby Spreading Salt on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Thank You for taking care of them Yeshua. Bring the right people to assist and get her mom situated. Amen.
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby RaptureReady on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Thank you and God Bless you for your continued prayers Laney and your prayers Spreading Salt. I have found out about a lot of helpful programs but all require being put on waiting lists. I am waiting upon the Lord.

I have very little anxiety about what the future holds now. I'm sure this peace that passes all natural understanding is from God. Thank you for your prayers...They have reached me.

Nothing has changed with our circumstances, except my faith is stronger today than the first day I posted this prayer request. God will provide a way. I just pray I recognize it when it comes.

Your Sister,
Rapture Ready
RaptureReady

Postby daffodyllady on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:11 am

If her condition is deteriorating fast, she may qualify for free in-home care by Hospice. The fellow I help care for has heart failure, and is getting a lot of supervision and hands-on care from good nurses.

Another possible option is PPL, also known as Public Partnerships Limited Liability Company. This is a multi-state company that works differently than home health agencies. What they do is to help get you set up to hire your own caregivers, and then they pay the workers through Medicaid and Medicare. I am hearing of more and more CNA's who are being hired this way. The pay is better than what a CNA can get through an agency, and you get to be choosy about who you have coming into your own home. For certain situations, they will even pay a designated family member for caring for one of their own! You just have to apply for the waiver, which is different in each state.

Here is their website:
https://www.publicpartnerships.com/

Contact information:
Address: 148 State Street 10th Floor Boston, MA 02109
Telephone: 1-855-2GETPPL (855-243-8775)
FAX: 617-717-0085
E-mail: ppl@pcgus.com
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby RaptureReady on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:34 am

daffodyllady, thank you so very much for the information you have provided. I will definitely check those agencies out.
RaptureReady

Postby Spreading Salt on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:17 am

Dearest Yeshua,

Please guide RR to the right agency and help. Thank You for Your provision. Calm her heart and lead the way. Amen.
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby RaptureReady on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:13 am

God Bless You, Spreading Salt :hugs: for remembering me in prayer today.

Your Sis,
Rapture Ready
RaptureReady

Postby RaptureReady on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:38 pm

I ask for prayer for my Mother. She is home but very ill. She went into the hospital for a urinary tract infection and pneumonia. After her release from the hospital she went to a rehab facility to get strong enough to come home. However, at the rehab facility she became dehydrated and went into kidney failure and back to the hospital again. She is now back at home with me.

I don't know if it is her dementia, that is causing her to sleep 24/7 in such a deep state of sleep, she will not wake up to drink or eat about every other day. On the days that she will swallow liquids she is still in a somewhat of a sleep stage. She never opens her eyes. The nurses tell me it is not her medications causing this state of deep sleep. I ask for your prayers.
RaptureReady

Postby Salty Skipper on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Salty Skipper

Postby GodsStudent on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:29 pm

Oh, Sis, I pray the Lord surrounds you with loving, beautiful people, to walk through this with. I am praying for you and for your mother! Please keep us posted and let me know how you're doing if and when you have some time.

My dear sister and friend, I will be holding you and your mother both up in prayer. Take Care of you !!!

:comfort:
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Sunny on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:45 am

I am praying for you and your mother, too. May Jesus's infinite peace and love fill you both, and may he carry you both in His arms through this difficult time.
Sunny

Postby RaptureReady on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:47 am

Thank you so very much Salty Skipper, Gods Student and Sunny for your precious prayers. Mom is at least swallowing this morning when I give her liquids using a medicine dropper. That is an improvement from yesterday when she did not know to swallow.

I can't begin to tell you how much your prayers mean to me. However, I know all of you have needed prayer at one time or another, and you surely know the power and comfort prayer brings to a crisis. Therefore, you already know the gratefulness in my heart for you dear Sisters and Brothers for your prayers.
RaptureReady

Postby burien1 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:51 am

burien1

Postby wkc on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:18 am

Hey Rapture Ready ... just found this post this morning. I too understand how difficult it can be to care for an aged parent. My Mom is 95.

I have learned that the older we get the more difficult it is to bounce back from illness. Mom was admitted to the hospital a couple of weeks ago just to get the water build up off her body and mainly her legs. She came home incredibly weak and confused, barely eating or drinking. Takes a lot of watching, caring and patience to nurse them back and even then it always seems like there is a little less of them than before the illness.

Will keep you in our prayers. Caregiving 24/7, 365 can be difficult no matter how much you love your parent, it is just hard. I've been doing it for a number of years now.

Please feel free to contact me privately on this board. Caregivers need a lot of support. The Lord will give you wisdom, strength and direction.

wkc
wkc

Postby RaptureReady on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:42 am

burien1 and wkc, please know I am so grateful to you both. wkc I will reach out to you with a pm as soon as I can.
RaptureReady

Postby GodsStudent on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:33 am

GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby RaptureReady on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:38 am

Mom passed away this morning. Thank you for your prayers. I would write more but I just don't have the words in my mind right now.
RaptureReady

Postby Sunny on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:13 am

RaptureReady wrote:Mom passed away this morning. Thank you for your prayers. I would write more but I just don't have the words in my mind right now.

So very sorry for your great loss, RR. I hope it helps you to remember that you did everything you could for her.

Just know that I am still praying for you and will continue to do so.
Sunny

Postby GodsStudent on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:28 am

:praying: I am so sorry for your loss, Raptureready. I will be keeping you and your family in prayer as you go through this process. What a blessing it has been to me to have talked with you over the year about your caring for her. You have been so good to your mom and I know this is a significant loss for you. :comfort:
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby burien1 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:48 am

I'm so sorry for you loss. :comfort:

I pray for the Lord's comfort and love to carry you through these days. And your brothers and sisters here, love you. And our Father, loves you even more.
burien1

Postby Resurrection Torchlight on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:39 pm

Lifting you up to the Lord in prayer, I lost my mom three years ago on the 5th after having to care for both her and my father who passed away the year before her. Now I am having to help out my husband's mom more and more. It's a hard road to walk at times, and I know you will be looking back wondering what you might have done differently, perhaps wishing you would have done more. Don't beat yourself up too much, your mom appreciated everything you did for her and loved you for it. For me it was an opportunity to get to know my parents in a whole new light, because they needed me, I saw a side of them I never would have, that vulnerable side that really drew us into a deeper relationship. Which we would not have had if circumstances were different. At the time it was very hard, and when I lost my folks I felt a lot of guilt, because I complained so often about the burden of caring for them both while raising teens, and boy at times it was hard. But looking back now I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to spend that time with them and caring for their needs and I know that they were thankful that I could.

I pray that the Lord will comfort you in this time of loss and sorrow, and that you would rest in His peace.

RT
Resurrection Torchlight

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:01 pm

So sorry for your loss, RaptureReady .

:comfort:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Salty Skipper on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:25 pm

Salty Skipper

Mom's Passing

Postby RaptureReady on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Sunny, Gods Student, burien1, Ressurection Torchlight, Abiding and Salty Skipper,

Thank you so very much for your prayers and condolences. As I was telling Gods Student in an email a while ago, Mom and God were everything to me. She is gone but He is here with me. Picking up and going forward after being a caretaker for so many years will not be an easy task. I have forgotten what it was like to have just me to take care of.

My prayer now is for God to show me how he might use me. This is the direction I want my life to be headed in. Please pray one more prayer for me, that God will guide me to that purpose He desires for me fulfill, in His Kingdom.

God bless all of you here. I am so grateful for this family.
RaptureReady

Postby burien1 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:34 am

:praying: for the Lord's guidance in your life. May he bless you for taking care of your mom all those years.
burien1

Postby GodsStudent on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:21 am

:praying: I am most certianly praying for you and thinking of you during this time, my sweet sister. I really wish I could be there with you to walk down the road your on right now, but the only thing I can do is pen a few words to you and tell you that you are on my mind and in my heart, and in that way, I am there with you right now. :comfort:
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Re: Mom's Passing

Postby Sunny on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:35 am

RaptureReady wrote:... Mom and God were everything to me. She is gone but He is here with me. Picking up and going forward after being a caretaker for so many years will not be an easy task. I have forgotten what it was like to have just me to take care of.

My prayer now is for God to show me how he might use me. This is the direction I want my life to be headed in. Please pray one more prayer for me, that God will guide me to that purpose He desires for me fulfill, in His Kingdom.

RaptureReady, may God lead, guide and direct you into the center of His perfect will for you. And may His love and peace continue to comfort you.

As my family is so fractured, just reading about your devotion and care for your mother has blessed and comforted me.
Sunny

Postby Spreading Salt on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:35 pm

RR,

So sad to read this news. :cry:

Dearest Yeshua,

Please comfort her and guide her. Work out each and every detail for the services and such. I pray for Your love and peace to hold her through the days ahead. Thank You for giving her the opportunity to serve You by taking care of her precious mother. Thank You for giving her the strength she needs each and every day to continue on the path You have prepared for her. Lord, You are faithful. Help her see what she needs to do and where she needs to be. May she bloom where You plant her this day. Amen. :a2:
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Return to Prayer Requests