To those with wayward kids (and anyone else)

To those with wayward kids (and anyone else)

Postby ForChristAlone on Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:34 pm

I wanted to send some encouragement to parents who are worried about their kids. I've seen more than one post where a parent is concerned about a child who has strayed from the truth and hasn't stayed consistent with the upbringing. Here's my testimony (hopefully, a short version--I tend to ramble :grin: ):

It's always been pretty obvious to me that God has had His mighty hand over my life. I've always been different, had trouble fitting in, and I wasn't allowed to do a lot of things. My parents were pretty strict, even more strict than other parents in the church I was raised in. My parents were very cautious about who I hung out with and I never went to parties or stuff like that (except the birthday parties the kids at church had). I was the pastor's granddaughter (oh yeah, that was interesting!) so I could never hide behind any of the other kids at church. I even had a hard time fitting in with the other kids at church. I was just always different.

I never liked that separation and I tried to do whatever I could to close the gap. I tried to listen to a bunch of secular music that I knew my parents would not approve of and I'd try to be in on stuff that other kids were in so I could be a part. It never really worked, but I tried nonetheless. The preliminary year for my rebellion was when I turned 12. Things began to change within me that year for the worse and it truly began when I turned 13--the year I entered highschool.

The decisions I made throughout highschool were not my best. I'm not proud of them. 9th grade was horrific, 10th grade calmed down some, 11th grade was all right, leaving 12th grade as the year I really tried to get it together. My parents pretty much had no idea. I hid it very, very well. My grades never suffered and I always knew how to play the sweet angel role with my baby voice. I never got into drugs or alcohol so there was no visible evidence of anything wrong. I also believe God chose not to reveal the majority of the information because I probably would've been kicked out of the house. He did allow some things to come through probably so my parents could at least know there was no angel living in the house. I thank Him for the mercy He had on me during that time.

I don't remember how it got started, but I really tried to be "Christian-like" my senior year. It wasn't perfect, but it was the best highschool year I had. I really tried to walk with God and He began to help me. Following my graduation, I no longer attended my home church and I didn't go off to college as I felt it was God's leading during senior year that I take a year off. It's now been a little over a year since graduation and God has increased my knowledge of Him and my love for Him. I've never known Jesus this way before and I'm so thankful to be His servant. I've known the grace of Jesus Christ. He could've taken His hand completely away when I chose to rebel and not kept me through it all as well as bring me so close to Himself over this past year. I know He's forgiven me for all my sins. My parents have forgiven me and I've forgiven myself. In fact, the fellowship with my parents has become so wonderful over this year as I've come to know God. We're able to discuss the Scriptures and prophecy and the coming of our King, Jesus Christ. I'm extremely grateful to God for giving me the parents that He did.

My point is, that for those of you who have wayward kids, take heart. God knows how and when He wants to bring them back. Sometimes the hard lessons will draw someone closer to God and after they've been through it. Leave it in the hands of God. He knows what He's doing. He's infinite in wisdom. In all sincerity, I say that my heart goes out to teenagers because there are so many influences and temptations in life and we think we have to involve ourselves with them. But, praise be to the Almighty--He's shown me the best way to live--separate from the world and as His servant. There's nothing out there...nothing at all. So yes, take heart. Our God is in control of all our lives. Remember also that it's not as if God has to take years upon years for Him to save your kids. I went through my share of rebellious time, but I sit here now, still in my late teens, gladly looking forward to however much time I have left to serve my Master on this earth.

By the way, if any of you are wondering how it is I was still able to make bad decisions with my parents' strictness--Number one: I went to public school. Number two: I still found ways to get over. So, for any parents reading this, whether you homeschool or send your kids to public school--don't automatically assume your kids are angels. Check up on them.

I pray that blessings go with this.

:angel:
Last edited by ForChristAlone on Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is this, Lord Jesus, that Thou shouldst make an end of all that I possess, and give Thyself to me? So that there is nothing now to call my own save Thee; Thyself alone my Treasure...Strange, I say, that suffering loss, I have so gained everything in getting me a friend who bore a Cross.--Jim Elliot

My life I give, henceforth to live, O Christ, for Thee alone.-- "Living for Jesus" Thomas Chisholm
ForChristAlone

Re: To those with wayward kids (and anyone else)

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:43 pm

:praise:

Thank you, ForChristAlone, for sharing your encouraging testimony!
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Return to Testimonies