The Shack

The Shack

Postby Bobthewebguy on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:04 pm

I haven't read too many post about this book. I was one second from throwing it away when the black lady answered the door; but, boy was I glad I continued to read it. I absolutely loved the book. One of the best books I've ever read. I can read it over and over again. It absolutely blesses me. I would be willing to debate anyone concerning the contents of this book. Please tell me what you thought about "The Shack"?
Bobthewebguy

Re: The Shack

Postby david on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:07 pm

Bobthewebguy wrote:I haven't read too many post about this book. I was one second from throwing it away when the black lady answered the door; but, boy was I glad I continued to read it. I absolutely loved the book. One of the best books I've ever read. I can read it over and over again. It absolutely blesses me. I would be willing to debate anyone concerning the contents of this book. Please tell me what you thought about "The Shack"?

Like you with out any prior knowledge I read it and really liked it. There are others that have strong opinions, concerning theology that are against it. That is a debate for someone else.

with love in Christ,

david
david

Postby Finaldash on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:21 pm

Here's a recent thread on it: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=55725
Finaldash
Supporting Member

Postby made4eternity on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:00 am

I don't have the link but you can read the full article at worldnetdaily, it was posted a few days ago. We live in a secular, post Christian society, anytime a "Christian" book flies off the shelf by the millions, immediately my radar goes out.

I have not read the book, and don't care to. My mother bought the book and found it so blasphemous she threw it away.

Much discernment is needed in these dark days. Just my two cents ;-)
******************************************************************************************************************************

Article at worldnetdaily

BLAZE OF GLORY

Up in flames: Melting false teachings of 'The Shack'
Professor takes torch to 'blasphemous doctrine' of best-seller

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: May 23, 2010
7:42 pm Eastern

© 2010 WorldNetDaily

Millions of evangelical Christians are among the masses who have embraced William Paul Young's "The Shack" as though it were gospel. Even three years since its release, "The Shack" has remained on numerous best-seller lists for more than 100 weeks – a claim no other book can make.
Yet it is infused with counterfeit Christianity, argues "Burning Down 'The Shack': How the 'Christian' Best-seller is Deceiving Millions," a new title from WND Books that publishes June 1.
Worse, says author James De Young, its depiction of God as an African woman who suffered Christ's crucifixion – and the book's exclusion of any existence of Satan and hell – represent just some of its many dangerous deceptions.
If such deceptions, which upend biblical teachings on sin, redemption, salvation and damnation, go unchallenged, says De Young, this "feel-good novel" could prove terribly divisive and destructive to millions of Christians.
"The Shack" has sold more than 7 million copies worldwide. A film version is reportedly in the works.
"'The Shack' presents a depiction of God that changes, 'the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man,'" said Joseph Farah, publisher and CEO of WND Books, citing Romans 1:23. "But Paul Young also offers a warped portrayal of the Trinity, denies the supreme divinity of Jesus Christ, diminishes the realities of sin without redemption and shrugs off damnation.
"Christian leaders can no longer countenance this cancerous manipulation," continued Farah. "I'm heartened that Jim De Young is exposing and opposing it."
De Young brings some interesting credentials to his critique. A New Testament language and literature professor at Western Seminary in Portland, Ore., he's also a former longtime colleague of Paul Young, and was his Portland-area neighbor when Young wrote "The Shack." In 1997, De Young and Young even co-founded a Christian think tank, called M3 Forum, and for the next seven years they discussed and probed topics, doctrine and problems facing the church as it approached the New Millennium.
"It's often said that one can understand a book better by knowing the author," said De Young, who wrote "Burning Down 'The Shack'" to "expose the greatest deception to blindside the church in the last 200 years!"
As De Young explains, while writing "The Shack," Young, a victim of child molestation, had recently embraced "universal reconciliation." Identified as far back as the 6th century as heresy, universal reconciliation emphasizes that God's nature in essence renders him "too loving" to let anyone who has refused to seek forgiveness and salvation actually suffer the eternal consequences of sin.

You can do a search for the full article at worldnetdaily.com
made4eternity

Postby slick on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:28 am

Hello Gang,

Let me start by saying that I have not read the book. I have read many scathing criticisms of it and its supposedly heretical approaches to Biblical doctrine. I am not going to speak to those issues directly. there are enough critiques on those aspects already.

As we are living in an age of fast paced lifestyle and continuous upgrades and technological changes a growing trend has developed within both the secular and the christian community.this trend is based on, for the most part, laziness,and a misappropriation of priority.It is the forming of doctrine/belief based on supposed authority of others...I.E reading of Christian books or media above the BIBLE, with the idea that what is being espoused need not be checked against the TRUTH of Scripture. we listen to BOOKS ON CD/TAPE IN OUR CAR....we tune in to radio and TV...we follow the internet stories....ETC... A few examples of this are THE OVERWHELMING SUCCESS/ AND CONTROVERSY OF SUCH BOOKS AS THOSE WRITTEN BY: TIM LAHAYE AND JENKINS (left behind series), DAN BROWN, RICK WARREN to name a few...the impact on Christianity both positive and negative can not be overstated.

Is there a line that needs be drawn, in the media choices of someone who claims to follow JESUS CHRIST? I for example am a big fan of fantasy fiction, and have read and seen many of the films/books within the genre, some such as LORD OF THE RINGS,CHRONICLES OF NARNIA, would follow a basic christian premise, others however, X-MEN,CLASH OF THE TITANS, WOLFMAN ETC...would not.so How/when should caution be applied when choosing what resources of entertainment are valued. after all.....X-MEN, in its seemingly harmless approach is entirely ABOUT EVOLUTION!!! CLASH OF THE TITANS SOLELY BASED ON GREEK/ROMAN MYTHOLOGY..... in my opinion, however it lies in two areas, FIRST: recognition that these are fiction and not intended in most cases to shape ones life or spiritual application of biblical principles.SECOND: are they affecting your views on traditional biblical doctrine, SCRIPTURAL INERRANTCY, VIRGIN BIRTH, JESUS FINAL ATONEMENT,/RESURRECTION,ETC...if you do begin to question some of these issues then these are potentially dangerous media choices and should be avoided.

Can the same things be said, of SUPPOSED christian Fiction I.E. "THE SHACK", 90 MINUETS IN HEAVEN/HELL, PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE, LEFT BEHIND, EMBRACED BY THE LIGHT....ETC? (SOME OF THESE ARE RECORDED AS NON FICTION) I dont think so the reason is THE PSYCHOLOGY behind the intent of the books, the books are written with the knowledge of todays society and their absorption of information through the media,and lack of strong BIBLICAL understanding, they
are written with the intent to mislead and reshape our thinking toward traditional scriptural views. AS SUCH SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!! the subtle lies and false doctrine meant to undermine scriptures authority are very powerful and dangerous to even the most studied BIBLICAL STUDENT.

GOD-BLESS,

STANDING FIRM IN THE LIONS DEN,

Clarence
slick

Postby Cantaress4Him on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:29 am

I've had Christians tell me I should read The Shack -- that it will change my life. However, I've never felt led to read it. Then, one friend gave me a lengthy synopsis of it and I felt very wary of reading it. As she was telling me about it, I felt like I had all kinds of warning lights going off in my spirit. I don't think this book is for me.
Cantaress4Him

2 Chronicles 20:21 And when he had consulted with the people, he appointed singers unto the LORD, and that should praise the beauty of holiness, as they went out before the army, and to say, Praise the LORD; for his mercy endureth for ever.
Cantaress4Him

Postby Bobthewebguy on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:07 am

It's funny, We can talk about the book for years and no one will state what the problems are in the book. We are a lazy people. So lazy, that we can't think for ourselves. It's easier to let someone else think for us. I've yet to debate the book with anyone and have them convince me that what I read was bad for me. You can't get more conservative them me. I belong to one of the most conservative denominations around in these days. But, I don't let others think for me. This book is a gift from God. Just like the movie by Mel Gibson. Yes, there are errors in each, but, I don't think we have people today who can write or direct in perfection. Even Jesus Himself was accused of error, Even the perfect KJV 1611 is put down by almost everyone. We are sinners.
Bobthewebguy

Postby slick on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Bobthewebguy wrote:It's funny, We can talk about the book for years and no one will state what the problems are in the book. We are a lazy people. So lazy, that we can't think for ourselves. It's easier to let someone else think for us. I've yet to debate the book with anyone and have them convince me that what I read was bad for me. You can't get more conservative them me. I belong to one of the most conservative denominations around in these days. But, I don't let others think for me. This book is a gift from God. Just like the movie by Mel Gibson. Yes, there are errors in each, but, I don't think we have people today who can write or direct in perfection. Even Jesus Himself was accused of error, Even the perfect KJV 1611 is put down by almost everyone. We are sinners.

Hello Bob,

As I state in my statement above I have not read the book, but from the critiques that I have read I understand it espouses multi-paths to Heaven/salvation.Others seem to take offense at the fact that a woman portrays God or part of the Godhead.I wouldnt have any issues with that in a of itself, but the salvation issue I would. there is a book out called "BURNING DOWN THE SHACK" which deals with the supposed doctrinal errors portrayed in the book.

GOD-BLESS,

Clarence
slick

Postby slick on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Hello Gang,
I have spent some time listening to reviews and critiques of the book on youtube, and what seems to be the primary concern is the books views on such issues as : UNIVERSAL SALVATION CONCEPT, MODELISM, REFUTATION OF A STRUCTURED HIEARCHY OF THE GODHEAD...a seemingly smaller concern is the making of GOD in the image of man.

Of these issues I would be most concerned with UNIVERSAL salvation, and MODELISM, but any variance to the biblical view of who GOD is is dangerous at best and flirts with the idea of making a graven image....so once again, I must restate the danger of reading these manipulative subtle lies. best to stay clear.

GOD-BLESS,

Clarence
slick

Postby Bobthewebguy on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:24 pm

Exactly my point. Letting others think for ourselves. There is nowhere and I say this again, nowhere in that book, that preaches or teaches anything different than what I believe. Oh, critics say that it does, but, where's the sentence? What page? Let's debate any sentence in that book...
Bobthewebguy

Postby kazbo on Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Perhaps the problem is with people analyzing doctrine in a work of fiction? Fiction is fiction. It's not the Bible. Take from it what blesses you as a gift of God and let the rest go. Good works of fiction can make you see things from a different perspective and give you fresh insight into them.

The "large black woman" in the story explains why she presents herself to him that way and it makes good sense, yet so many can't get beyond, "Gasp, God as a woman!" They missed it. He's not a woman, and he's not an old man with a long grey beard. He presented himself to the character (I'm blanking on his name) that way to bypass the misconceptions the character held about him. Or rather, not to reinforce the image the character had of Him.

I read most of the book a couple of years ago but never finished it. I think I stopped after he saw his daughter through the waterfall and she was so happy. It was heartbreaking, such a bittersweet thing to see your daughter alive and happy but unable to be with her.

I remember I was charmed with the Holy Spirit character collecting his tears - that made me shed some of my own :) And how she was a little tough to pin down visually, and how he felt hugged by her. And the ideas that were expressed by the garden she tended. And I loved how the God character would say, "I am especially fond of her [or him]" about everybody. It reminded me how God knows each of us intimately and indeed is "especially fond" of each one of us. It's wonderful to think of Him expressing it that way. Like we are with our kids - I love both of mine equally, of course, but each one, thought of individually, brings specific things to my mind that I especially like about him. God's love is a personal love for us as individuals. Awesome.

I think what has bothered me most about the negative reactions to the book (and other Christian books and websites and what-have-you out there) is how everyone seems to want to make up other peoples' minds about it all. Does not the Holy Spirit live in each of us and isn't he perfectly capable of warning us if necessary? No one single "Christian" thing out there is for everyone, and I wonder at the certainty with which so many "warn" others away from things without knowing if that person would receive a blessing from having read whatever it is. No, The Shack isn't for everyone. But I have read many, many testimonies from people who were immensely blessed by it and brought closer to God because of it, or even brought back to God because of it. And we judge them and the book even so?
kazbo

Postby slick on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:52 am

Hello Kazbo,
And we judge them and the book even so?

I never heard anyone pass judgment on the readers of the book, only the book itself.If there is blatant doctrinal error then warnings and alerts should be made.UNIVERSALISM is a false and heretical doctrine.....the fact of God being depicted as a woman is not so much a terrible thing, but as I understand it she in her portrayal of THE FATHER has scars of the crucifixion on her body, GOD THE FATHER WAS NOT CRUCIFIED, HIS SON JESUS WAS. this concept seemingly portrayed by the author is another heritical belief known as MODELISM which states that in the OT GOD was represented as The FATHER but in the NT HE CHANGED identities and became the SON.

Discernment has become non or nearly non existent in todays church the call to be "BEREANS" has been nearly altogether forgotten, and any "FEEL GOOD" philosophy no matter how error ridden is many times accepted as genuine. One only needs to turn on "CHRISTIAN" TV and see the WOLVES spewing their heresies and deceiving millions with there lies and false doctrine. shelf after shelf of "CHRISTIAN" book stores are filled with POP psychology and NEW AGE mysticism...

The great deception is upon us a call to "COME OUT FROM AMONG HER MY PEOPLE" needs to be heralded loudly!!!!

"AS A RESULT, WE ARE NO LONGER TO BE CHILDREN,TOSSED HERE AND THERE BY WAVES, AND CARRIED ABOUT BY EVERY WIND OF DOCTRINE, BY THE TRICKERY OF MEN,BY CRAFTINESS IN DECEITFUL SCHEMING."

EPHESIANS 4:14

The exact opposite of this verse has become the norm for the church at large and practicing Christians in churches of every sort.

We are called also to "TEST THE SPIRITS..." and JESUS reminds us that "A LITTLE LEAVEN, LEAVENS THE WHOLE LUMP..." so how much BLATANT error should be tolerated, in light of some joyful tears, or FEEL GOOD moments?

GOD-BLESS,
Clarence
slick

Return to Links and Books Share