Chronological Study Bible

Chronological Study Bible

Postby Stillwatch on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:00 am

I didn't even know there was such a thing until I read about it last night at this link:

http://www.sliceoflaodicea.com/scriptur ... confusion/

And the link here:

http://christianpost.com/article/200808 ... estion.htm

I am wondering if other Christians here have read such a Bible and what you all think of it. Is it worthwhile picking up a copy? Would it be useful tool or would it just sow confusion? Do you think it's allright that publishers alter the order of the Bible this way, or is this something that shouldn't be tampered with? Me, I am mildly uncomfortable with it, that was my first thought. I think even my husband was a little skeptical about it when I told him. He's comes from a very conservative Christian background (a more modern Mennonite denomination that he describes as being similar to an 'uptight Baptist'), but he kind of shies away from all church involvement today, doesn't even like to talk about spiritual issues at all.

However, I am also curious about how the finished product comes out, whether or not it results in any confusion or maybe inaccuracies of some sort.

Is this a good thing to improve understanding, or is it tampering with something sacred, is it possibly leading to doctrinal error? Would it alter the flow and cadence of the whole Bible in a way that is not good...should people be doing that?

Thoughts? Opinions?

:humm: :read2: :ummm: :feedback:
Stillwatch

Re: Chronological Study Bible

Postby David L on Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:18 pm

Stillwatch wrote:I didn't even know there was such a thing until I read about it last night at this link:

http://www.sliceoflaodicea.com/scriptur ... confusion/

And the link here:

http://christianpost.com/article/200808 ... estion.htm

I am wondering if other Christians here have read such a Bible and what you all think of it. Is it worthwhile picking up a copy?

Yes. If your a novice pick it up. If you're a veteran its good to have another tool available to use. I am interested in the format and the layout.

I did not know about this and I believe it has not been release yet. The only disappointment for me or setback would be the fact that it is only available in NKJV which I no longer read. I wish it were an ESV or NASB or at least hope someone follows this pattern and does something similar with those texts.

Would it be useful tool or would it just sow confusion?

I don't see how it would cause any confusion unless the person who is reading it has no understanding of the term 'chronological order' - if that language is foreign to you then save your money. Buy a dictionary instead and then look up chronological and order separately to find out what it means.

Do you think it's allright that publishers alter the order of the Bible this way, or is this something that shouldn't be tampered with?

Why not! Your pastors do it regularly to do expository and topical teaching! How hypocritical to say that its okay for a pastor to do the same for a sermon for a study bible to have an outline of chronoligical events AS LONG AS nobody else makes this material available in book format for the common believer to use at his/her leisure at their expense! HYPOCRITES! smh

Me, I am mildly uncomfortable with it, that was my first thought.

Why? Please explain.

I think even my husband was a little skeptical about it when I told him. He's comes from a very conservative Christian background (a more modern Mennonite denomination that he describes as being similar to an 'uptight Baptist'), but he kind of shies away from all church involvement today, doesn't even like to talk about spiritual issues at all.

?

However, I am also curious about how the finished product comes out, whether or not it results in any confusion or maybe inaccuracies of some sort.

I think we should wait until that happens before we jump to conclusions about Mr Nelson's motives.

Is this a good thing to improve understanding,

Sorry, this one is a no brainer.

scenario:

David: I lack understanding. Was Haggai a prophet during or after the Babylonian exile? Or was he just some random guy spouting his mouth off? What is the Babylonian exile!! Where can I read about this in the bible?

TN Pub: We have a great tool to help you understand the crazy and confusing events of scripture since they are not always presented to you chronologically nor are you getting a fuller sense of scripture w/out the synoptic accounts to provide the information you lack to make sound decisions in your exegeting.

David: No thanks. I am skeptical of anyone, particularly, NKJV scholars who have been studying the bible in Greek and Hebrew longer than I have been breathing air. I don't think you have a right to divide the scriptures in such a way just to make it easier for me to understand the the chronological sequence of events - even if your motivatation is to help me understand what I am reading to be a better equipped bible teacher and a much better informed Christian.

David: What does chronological mean?

TN Pub: lols

or is it tampering with something sacred, is it possibly leading to doctrinal error?

No.

Can you prove that understanding something in the sequence of events that they actually occured leads to doctrinal error? If I told you that David killed Uriah before he committed adultery with his wife from the pulpit at a bible study would you say I was teaching doctrinal error? or would you just refer me to Nelson's chronological study bible?

=)

Would it alter the flow and cadence of the whole Bible in a way that is not good...should people be doing that?

Thoughts? Opinions?

:humm: :read2: :ummm: :feedback:

oh my.

I better end my rant on this foolishness here before I offend anyone who may read it. If you don't like it don't buy it. Save your money. On the other hand, I am already looking forward to getting my copy. I only wish it wasn't a NKJV. That is my ONLY gripe. I think its going on my Christmas wish list unless I can get it for less than $30 on amazon.
"We were educated thoroughly on Islam 9/11" - joymart

"Thus says the Lord GOD, 'This is Jerusalem; I have set her at the center of the nations, with lands around her. Ezekiel 5:5
David L

Postby Stillwatch on Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:53 pm

Yikes! David, thanks for the input. But...I don't know how to put this without fanning flames. I don't fight with people...You were a bit...ummm...

Well...Let's just say I'm...:sofa:

Be nice, OK? I merely asked an honest question here.
Stillwatch

Postby Stillwatch on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:59 pm

OK, David, you asked a couple of questions that I didn't answer.

Why was my first reaction to feel a bit uncomfortable? I don't know, really. Probably just concerned about accuracy.

The remark concerning my husband's religious background...did that bother you? If anyone was offended by that, I apologize. What my husband means is that his family's Mennonite church is not as conservative as the Mennonites with the ladies who wear only dresses and head bonnets and the men with their beards and no radio or tv and all that...but his family's church is probably MORE conservative than Baptists might be.

I wasn't questioning Mr. Nelson's motives. If the people at the links I mentioned were doing so, I don't remember.

I thought the idea of a Chronological Bible was interesting as well. I thought this would be a good place to ask about it, since this is a large group of people and there was bound to be someone here who had heard of such a thing or had maybe seen another version of it. (This is not the first Chronological Bible to hit the market.)

Again, thanks for your response.

P.S. Yes, I DO know the meaning of the word "chronological". :scared: :lol:
Stillwatch

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:34 pm

Personally, I think a chronological bible is the only way to go. I don't have one because although I have about 12 hard copy bibles, I have grown accustomed to using my e-sword bible. I do have a list of both OT and NT scriptures in chronological order that I found on the internet years ago and refer to it often. I also have a 3-page timeline I printed from the internet that I refer to often.

If one was ever available for e-sword, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I do think it only makes sense to read events in the order they happened to clearly understand the bible historically. I do think it would take some adjusting to since we have grown so accustomed to the books as they are currently arranged in the majority of versions. But the overall benefits in terms of understanding who did what, when, and why would be tremendous I would think.

If you're interested, here's the timeline I printed out years ago and still use. It has to be printed out on 3 separate pages and then you can tape them together. I find it very helpful.

http://www.cynet.com/jesus/timeline/timeline.htm

Stillwatch, I'm offering my opinion without having visited the link you provided.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Stillwatch on Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:06 pm

Thanks, Abiding. I printed the chart, although I ended up with one page and it's VERY tiny. I'll work on getting it to print larger. :lol:

I was looking into e-sword last night as well. That looks really good!
Stillwatch

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:21 pm

Sorry about the timeline, Stillwatch. This is the page I should have posted for instructions on how to print out the timeline:

http://www.cynet.com/jesus/TIMELINE/TIME.HTM

Here are the instructions from that page:
The following five images are parts of the clickable map, and were created to accommodate browsers that cannot print the full graphic. It is suggested that the images be printed individually and then spliced into a continuous graphic
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby CaryC on Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:46 am

Hey,

If it's the same one, and it sounds like it is, it's been around for at least 30 years. An old pastor's wife of mine used it all the time, and yes, as a main Bible to read out of, it is confusing. Picked hers up a couple of times to check something out, and didn't have a clue where it was.

For example the first verse is not Genesis 1: 1, it's John 1: 1. John 1: 1 predates, chronologically, Gen. 1: 1.

It's unfortunate they used the term "Bible". Even though it is the words of the Bible it is not in the order as a regular Bible, so I wouldn't consider it like a real Bible. Having said all that it may be a good resource though, to pick off the shelf from time to time to check something out. "Course with a familiarity of in depth Bible Study, that will come pretty much on it's own.
Cary
Wise Men Still Seek Him
CaryC

Postby Stillwatch on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:18 am

Thanks, Abiding, I'll give that a try. I've got the page up right now. :grin: Maybe eSword will eventually have a chronological Bible available. I've been to the website and it looks like they're always adding new stuff. (I haven't decided yet if I am going to download eSword or install the eBible I already have from Nelson Ministry. I'm comparing features right now.)

Cary, I think it would take some getting used to, since for a good part of my life I've grown accustomed to the Bible as we now have it...you know, you're looking for a certain book or a certain passage and you know where to look when you're flipping through the Bible to find a certain verse or something.

I think the Chronological Bible might be more like reading the Bible like a novel, but not fictional, of course. :wink:

I see the Bible as being God's word to us. And as a source of information and understanding of who God is and what He wants of us. I also see it as the story of planet earth and of mankind, and mankind's relationship with God. I mean, it's all there, from beginning to end. So in that sense it might be interesting to read it in chronological sequence.

Yes, I think I will end up ordering it when it comes out. However, I am currently reading the Bible right now from cover to cover, and I would like to continue doing that, as is. I don't know if the chronological Bible would have the detailed teachings and principles that the regular Bible would.
Stillwatch

Postby mark s on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:09 pm

One thing about a Chronological Bible, some of it is just guesswork - they don't really know exactly when certain parts where written, or where they fit in. Job is an obvious example. There are theories, but no hard evidence. Some of the prophets, psalms, and so forth.

Another thing is that God just might have a reason for organizing His Word as He did, in separated books, not all intermingled.

I agree that it can be useful as a reference to see one view of the sequential order of events, and writing. I'd be wary of incorrect associations that might be formed by accepting that view as factual. As for myself, I don't really feel the need for one.
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Return to Bible Study Resources