Diets and health for Christians

Discussion not limited to prophecy.

Re: Diets and health for Christians

Postby extravagantchristian on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:35 pm

you could be vegetarian, even if your wife isn't.

My 7 year old announced the other day that she was a vegetarian. That lasted about 2 hours. :lol:
extravagantchristian

Postby daffodyllady on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:43 pm

bchandler wrote:... that just can't happen in my house unless my wife either commits to it, or passes before I do (unlikely).

....You aren't secretly hoping for such a thing, are you? Because I think that would be very close to breaking a commandment.
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby bchandler on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:44 am

daffodyllady wrote:
bchandler wrote:... that just can't happen in my house unless my wife either commits to it, or passes before I do (unlikely).

....You aren't secretly hoping for such a thing, are you? Because I think that would be very close to breaking a commandment.

Of course not... just stating a fact. I love my wife, and she is the most food rigid person I have ever met. She bakes , and she cooks, and she refuses to do anything different from what she knows.

What she cooks tastes great, it just isn't very healthy. I have tried to get her to go to classes with me, and to just find 1 vegan recipe per month to add to our diet... but so far... no go!

So the odds of me being able to go pure vegan in my house are not terrible good. But I do what I can.
I am not a god or a doctor, and nothing i say should be construed as medical advice or even as correct. I am merely a living soul who is exercising my unalienable rights, endowed upon me by my creator, and recognized in the Constitution for the united States of America, to freely speak about the things i believe. No other soul should grant my words any weight without first determining their credibility and/or accuracy for themselves.
bchandler

Postby daffodyllady on Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:05 pm

bc, does she allow you into the kitchen to give her a break? Because it seems to me that could be fun for both of you.
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby bchandler on Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:20 pm

Mostly I cook for myself. Except when she tempts me with stuff that I love even though it isn't good for me. With my whole household being out of work I just can't afford to buy 2 different diets so I have been eating more of her cooking and less of mine.
I am not a god or a doctor, and nothing i say should be construed as medical advice or even as correct. I am merely a living soul who is exercising my unalienable rights, endowed upon me by my creator, and recognized in the Constitution for the united States of America, to freely speak about the things i believe. No other soul should grant my words any weight without first determining their credibility and/or accuracy for themselves.
bchandler

Postby jgilberAZ on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:00 pm

jgilberAZ wrote:What I got from the book is this ...

She tried hard to live a life where her sustenance did not depend on the death of another living animal. So, she adhered to a strict vegan diet.

The problem is, and the book outlines her journey to this understanding, our existence is one of eat and be eaten.

Vegans eat produce. Yet, that produce requires NPK to grow. And, that NPK comes from the death of living organisms.

It is not possible to eat anything that hasn't somehow benefited from the death of a living organism.

It was a torturous journey for her. She agonized over the realization that her life depended on the death of other animals.

I found it to be an interesting example of someone who faces the truth and accepts it, even though it goes contrary to her firmly held convictions.

I would like to see that same kind of honest self examination in some of the people I've witnessed to ... my daughter, for instance.

While she mentions her health issues, the online portion of the book doesn't really provide many details re: what (exactly) she ate, nor what (exactly) were her symptoms. (Unless I skimmed over that part).

As I said previously, I do think there is much upon which we agree.

- Jeff

Here's an interview with her:

Lierre Keith on The Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show

- Jeff
2 Timothy 2:24a..And the servant of the Lord must not strive ...
The meaning is, that the servant of Christ should be a man of peace. He should not indulge in the feelings which commonly give rise to contention, and which commonly characterize it. He should not struggle for mere victory, even when endeavoring to maintain truth; but should do this, in all cases, with a kind spirit, and a mild temper; with entire candor; with nothing designed to provoke and irritate an adversary; and so that, whatever may be the result of the discussion, "the bond of peace" may, if possible, be preserved.
jgilberAZ

Postby bchandler on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:10 pm

Well, sustainable farming gets all the NPK it needs from the composting process when all wastes are returned to the farm. The only organism's dying in such a case are bacteria, viruses and parasites. If people wanna agonize over those kinds of things, that are obviously disease organisms and biological automatons, I think they need some time with a shrink.

If they are dealing with questions of humanely treating higher life forms that mey be more than mere automatons, that is different.

I'll watch the interview, but really, it took me all of 30 seconds to find a pretty phenomenal error in her primary postulations.
bchandler

Postby bchandler on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:38 pm

well, I have listened to this woman's interview, and she is not very well informed, and she is indeed agonizing over killing things like the bugs, and snails eating her garden, and her hypoglycemia is a clear indication that she was a grain based vegan, which is NOT healthy, and she ate enough SOY to suppress her menstrual cycle and suppress her thyroid.

This woman was NOT a rational, healthy vegan, and she should never have gone vegetarian. Also note that the entire reason she went vegan was not health, but was altruistic "save the planet", "save the animals" kind of stuff. So she was never really motivated to learn how to eat healthily as a vegan.

It wasn't until she started adding animal produce back into her diet that she actually started learning how to eat healthy grass fed animal produce.

Her premise that keeping the land fertile requires animals to die and contribute their blood meal and bone meal to the soil is patently false.

I have no idea why she has deliberately blinded herself to her own culpability and responsibility for her cruddy vegan diet, but that aside... she is very right about commercial farming and and what needs to change, and grass feeding... all of which I and others have repeatedly said on this thread and others.

So all in all, she contributes nothing really new to the conversation or knowledge of human nutrition.
bchandler

Postby jgilberAZ on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:42 am

I've said a couple times that I think there is much upon which we (bchandler and I) agree.

I thought I'd try and detail that ...

I think we agree:

- Multivitamin is good
- Vitamin D is good (although sunshine is better) (2-4K IU per day, perhaps)
- Fish Oil is good (although real fish is better) (2grams per day, perhaps)
- Magnesium is good (300mg/day, perhaps)
- Increase consumption of vegetables (I prefer those above ground over those below, but am not adamant about it.)
- Increase consumption of fruit (I prefer berries, as many other fruits are high in fructose, but am not too adamant about it.)
- Breads/Pasta ... avoid refined/processed grains, choose those with higher fiber content
- HFCS ... while it's in EVERYTHING, avoid it where possible (soda, sports drinks, etc)
- Sugar/sweets ... avoid where possible (deserts, etc)
- Fiber ... more is better

Here's where we start to disagree:

- Fat/protein ...

I think we both agree that fat is not the enemy that the AMA (et al) portray it to be. Where we may disagree is on how to obtain fat in our diet. I believe you prefer non-meat sources (nuts, etc). And, I, too, agree that we should be eating more of that, too (I eat nuts almost every day). Where we disagree (I think) is how much fat we should derive from animal products.

While we agree that the corn fed, inhumanly treated, drugged up commercial meat is far inferior to grass fed, free range, natural meat, we disagree (I think) on whether we should eat it, or not. I had my first grass fed beef last weekend. It's different to cook (I burned it some on the grill). And, it's about 1.5 times the cost of "normal" beef. Given the option, I would strongly prefer grass fed beef. For me, however, I just don't see it as a viable option.

So, I think you get most of your protein from non-animal products (beans, etc). Whereas I get most of my protein from animal products (meat, etc).

And, you get most of your fat from non-animal products (nuts, etc). Whereas I get most of my fat from animal products (butter, mayo, egg yolks, cheese, etc).

This post is not intended to stir up debate. I just thought it'd be helpful to lay out what it is upon which we agree.

If I have mis-stated somthing, bchandler, please correct me.

One last point ...

We also agree that if we were in charge of the kitchen, our diet would be more conformed to the way we would like. But, since neither you, nor I, do most of the cooking, we eat what our wives provide, and ask God for grace for our health. Within the confines of what our wives provide, however, we can make choices as to how much of each item to consume, taking into consideration our own diet preferences.

I think we would also both agree that we shouldn't obsess over our diet. I'll admit I can suffer tunnel-vision in this area, and pray that I am able to keep it all in the proper perspective.

Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself. (Philippians 3:17-21)

- Jeff
The meaning is, that the servant of Christ should be a man of peace. He should not indulge in the feelings which commonly give rise to contention, and which commonly characterize it. He should not struggle for mere victory, even when endeavoring to maintain truth; but should do this, in all cases, with a kind spirit, and a mild temper; with entire candor; with nothing designed to provoke and irritate an adversary; and so that, whatever may be the result of the discussion, "the bond of peace" may, if possible, be preserved.
jgilberAZ

Postby daffodyllady on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:00 am

Good post, jgilberAZ.

By the way, I'm working on the book "Good Calories, Bad Calories," by Gary Taubes. I had to reserve it at the local library; it is evidently very popular.

I can usually read pretty fast, but not this book. It really takes concentration to get everything he says.

For those of you who haven't read it, it is a basic compilation, analysis and comparison of a majority of the biomedical research and epidemiological studies that relate to the modern diseases of the westernized world, especially in relation to how diet affects biochemistry.

Very eye-opening. I highly recommend it.
Daffodyllady
daffodyllady

Postby jgilberAZ on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:41 am

Taubes has a new book coming out pretty soon (December): Why We Get Fat and what to do about it

Here's an interview with him discussing the new book:

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/2403/the-return-of-gary-taubes-episode-401

I haven't read his books. But, have watched his presentation online a couple time, and listened to a couple interviews. It's hard to argue with biochemistry, no?

- Jeff
jgilberAZ

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:43 am

OK....I've been browsing this topic for quite awhile and never read any tips/advice on putting weight on.... Any?
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby burien1 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:57 pm

Abiding in His Word wrote:OK....I've been browsing this topic for quite awhile and never read any tips/advice on putting weight on.... Any?

We should all be so lucky. :lol:
My Mom struggled with this her whole life, till she started putting candy bars in dishes in every room. Eats 4 slices of buttered white bread daily. And eats cupcakes and donuts every day. She has gained 15 pounds, but I`m afraid she`ll end up with type 2 diabetes. She used to drink that Ensure stuff, too. She might have gained, but I don`t think its a healthy gain.
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:14 pm

burien1 wrote:
Abiding in His Word wrote:OK....I've been browsing this topic for quite awhile and never read any tips/advice on putting weight on.... Any?

We should all be so lucky. :lol:
My Mom struggled with this her whole life, till she started putting candy bars in dishes in every room. Eats 4 slices of buttered white bread daily. And eats cupcakes and donuts every day. She has gained 15 pounds, but I`m afraid she`ll end up with type 2 diabetes. She used to drink that Ensure stuff, too. She might have gained, but I don`t think its a healthy gain.

I've tried that Ensure, but it tasted terrible to me. A friend suggested I put a scoop or two of ice cream in it to make it more palatable and that's what I've done for 2 years and not gained a pound. I'm not a big "sweets eater" so it's not something that gravitate to as a solution and for the reason you mentioned it's probably just as well. Honestly, I don't eat unless I'm hungry, and then not very much and I think with my metabolism, the calories just don't "stick." I tried peanut butter & jelly sandwiches (which I like) but can't eat them every single day. :mrgreen:

Guess it's not a big problem as long as I'm healthy and far as I know I am. I'd sure like to put just 5-10 lbs. on tho. I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for me since so many are so knowledgeable in this area.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby jgilberAZ on Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:49 pm

Eating carbs to gain weight is not a healthy choice.

If you want to gain weight in a healthy manner, you need to add muscle.

It's not a very quick process, but it can be done.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/protein-sparing-effect/

The best way to lose excess stored fat and maintain (or even build) muscle is to eat plenty of protein to provide the building blocks for new muscle and to convert to blood sugar as needed while keeping overall calories low enough so that fat is burned to make up the energy deficit. The best diet to follow in order to accomplish all this easily is a whole-food low-carb diet. Protein is high, calories are low, and the limited carbohydrate insures that insulin levels remain low so that the fat easily flows from the fat cells and makes its way to the cellular furnaces for burning.

In the "maintenance" phase of low carb eating, you can go as high as 85g carbs. (for me, though, I gain weight (fat) if I go much above 40g)

So, keep your carbs below the 85g/day level.

85g carbs x 4 = 340 calories

Increase your protein and fat.

I've read .73g protein per pound of body weight.

For me, that's about 113g.

113g protein x 4 = 452 calories

So, if I want to keep at the "recommended" 1800 calories per day, I'd need to get 1008 calories from fat.

1008 / 9 = 112g fat

19% calories from carbs
25% calories from protein
56% calories from fat

Keep to something around those ratios, and add in some muscle-building activities.

http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/fw/fwFit03StrengthTraining.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strength-training/HQ01710

Myself, I have one of these at home:

http://www.amazon.com/Weider-WESY7873-Platinum-Weight-System/dp/B000EWFU36

I just wish I was more consistent at using it!

For what it's worth ...

Here's a picture of me in February 2009 (in the yellow shirt) ... 185 pounds.

And, here's a picture of me in December 2009 ... 155 pounds.

I'm still 155 pounds now. Although, I'd like to lose about 10 more pounds (but, my wife thinks that's crazy).

I'm usually real consistent at hitting the weight bench ... for about two months ... then I start missing days ... then I seldom touch it for months. Argh.

- Jeff
jgilberAZ

Postby extravagantchristian on Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:50 pm

abiding... cheese and potato chips are high calorie :mrgreen: And butter... put lots of butter on your food.
extravagantchristian

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:24 pm

extravagantchristian wrote:abiding... cheese and potato chips are high calorie :mrgreen: And butter... put lots of butter on your food.

I do like baked potatoes with butter and sour cream. And potato chips are one of my favorites too. Thanks EC!
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby daffodyllady on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:03 am

I can't imagine how it would feel to need to put weight ON. I would probably want to move to a third world country where men thought skinny girls weren't so great... lol.

joking aside... Insulin is the key. Insulin is the hormone that opens the door to shuttle any calories into your fat cells for storage. It even seems that insulin is far more key than total number of calories consumed. Your insulin receptors are probably super-sensitive, causing your pancreas to secrete less insulin than a normal person would, in response to the same foods.

It truly is not healthy to raise insulin levels above a certain threshold. But your insulin levels probably are far below that level, if you have a hard time putting weight on.

Look at the glycemic index, to see what will raise those insulin levels. Starches like potatoes, pasta, and breads are perfect. (Starch turns into glucose, which is more insulin-stimulating than sucrose.) But if you add butter, it will actually lower the glycemic index of the potato, which will cause a slower insulin reaction, resulting in a lower insulin response.

Yes, fats add calories, which would in turn seem to promise to make you fatter. But what appears to the eye, ain't always so. Fats actually shut down fat storage, hormonally. You need a certain amount of fats, to provide the essential fat-soluble vitamins; but if you are trying to gain weight, more than normal fat intake will not help you put it on. (It's like they used to tell people with retention of fluids, to drink less water. It actually had the effect of causing the body to retain more water. They finally learned to tell us to drink MORE water if we are retaining fluids. Evidently God gave our bodies a kind of intuition on a cellular level, that if we are getting less than optimal of a certain nutrient, there is probably a famine of that nutrient, and it hangs onto it.)

Actually, if you wish to gain weight, you could do something very unhealthy: go on a low-fat, calorie-restricted diet. :grin: Do it only for a month. You probably wont lose an awful lot of weight. But it usually does things to a person on a hormonal and cellular level that causes the metabolism to reset higher, besides changing you psychologically. You will find yourself eating faster, thinking more about food, and musing over cookbooks. It isnt completely understood yet, how it works, but everyone who tries it, gains at least 10 lbs in the end, that seems will never come off permanently.

I would try the starch thing first. That low-calorie, low fat diet is extremely bad for you.
Daffodyllady
daffodyllady

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:17 am

daffodyllady wrote:I can't imagine how it would feel to need to put weight ON.

It's exactly the same as trying to take weight off, believe it or not. I hesitated to even post my question because most don't understand how difficult it is. :wink: I've never been heavier than 103 lbs. all my life, but as I've gotten older, my appetite has diminished as is normal for some. Now I'm down to about 89 lbs. for the past several years. I'm healthy and feel great outside of getting tired sooner and more often than most. No physical ailments and am on no medicine other than an aspirin now and then.

The only advantage is that should I get a terminal illness, I won't last more than a minute! :lol:

Thanks for the input, daffodyllady!
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby daffodyllady on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:46 am

jgilberAZ wrote:.
Taubes has a new book coming out pretty soon (December): Why We Get Fat and what to do about it

Here's an interview with him discussing the new book:

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/2403/the-return-of-gary-taubes-episode-401

I haven't read his books. But, have watched his presentation online a couple time, and listened to a couple interviews. It's hard to argue with biochemistry, no?

- Jeff

YES! I have been waiting eagerly for the release of that new book. He says he wanted to put the findings of "Good Calories, Bad Calories" into the language of "the laity", so that the average Joe's eyes won't glaze over while reading it.

And here are two video series of him talking about his seven years of research for "Good Calories, Bad Calories." The first series is a lecture presented at Berkeley, and the second was presented at Dartmouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVvZP2av5Mk - Berkeley lecture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIGV9VOOtew - Dartmouth lecture

warning: these presentations include a few black-n-white photos depicting obesity in varying states of undress.
Daffodyllady
daffodyllady

Postby bchandler on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 am

Abiding,

While many may think it would be awesome to be in your shoes, you already know it has it's own drawbacks.

1. Having low fat stores has a tendency to suppress the immune system, which results in illnesses lasting longer and potentially being more serious.

2. If your metabolism is really high, keeping healthy stores of minerals in your body can also be difficult leaving you on the verge of malnutrition all the time.

3. For women with high metabolisms and problems gaining weight, the loss of menstruation can occur. This is another serious sign of nutritional deficiency. (This can also occur with too much fat and environmental estrogen building intake.)

Firstly in my response to you I am going to assume that you do not suffer from an eating disorder such as anorexia or bulimia. If anyone reading this does suffer from these conditions, seek counseling immediately,and get into and stay in a 12 step program for the rest of your life.

OK, I am sure you have talked to your doctor about this in the past. I would hope he has done thyroid tests to ensure that you do not have an overactive thyroid gland, or a condition known as graves disease. If not, then you should have such testing done as soon as possible. Graves can lead to cardiac arrest, and is quite serious.

Next, if you do just have a high metabolism, you may simply need to eat a lot more than most people, just to keep your energy levels up. But eating empty calories is much worse for people with high metabolisms, and the higher your metabolism is, generally the shorter your life span, and higher your risk of genetic diseases, and cancer.

Fortunately there are ways to naturally slow your metabolism down without risking malnutrition, provided you don't have a medical condition that precludes this. I know it seems counter intuitive, but Doctor Joel Fuhrman discuses the reasons why we want to have slower metabolisms in his books.

While the entire world is trying to sell you the latest metabo-burn pill for boosting your metabolism and losing weight, Dr. Fuhrman explains it kind of like this:

Imagine every cell in your body is a race car engine. When you run that engine at high RPMs the wear and tear on the engine is much greater, so is the risk of mechanical failure. When that engine is running at idle speed you could run it for maybe a hundred years without a failure of any kind.

The same is essentially true of our cells. The slower we run them, the longer they will last.

So how do we maintain an ideal weight (whether we need to gain or lose) and have a nicely idling metabolism that will stay healthy for 120 years? Well Dr. Fuhrman says that the solution is found in how we eat.

By now most people know that Dr. Fuhrman recommends a vegetarian diet to all of his patients that are battling chronic illness and metabolic syndrome diseases. I don't want this to be about vegetarianism, other than to say this... the less densely packed your food is with calories, the easier it will be to achieve your goals. Unfortunately most animal products are packed with calories and their nutrient per calorie ratio is very low.

The more fruits and vegetables you eat, the higher your nutrient intake will be, per calorie. The more non-grain/starch vegetarian you eat, the more energy you will feel you have. That is not to say you cant have grains and starches, just that you will want to reduce them.

This kind of eating accomplishes 2 things:

Calorie restriction, without nutrient deficiency, causes the body to send signals to your cells to reduce their metabolic rate, slowing down the speed of your cellular engines. This will make maintaining a healthy weight easier for those on both sides of ideal.

Calorie restriction, without nutrient deficiency, is one of the most well known ways to increase human longevity.

This is what Dr. Fuhrman tries to teach his patients. To get maximum nutrition per calorie, avoid empty calories, and adjust fat intake for your particular metabolism.

For the person trying to lose weight, fat intake is severely restricted, so that the body will first burn the stored fat on your person. So even though dietary fat is restricted, they are not on a low fat diet, they are just using the fat they have already stored. Once fat stores are depleted, the metabolism begins to adjust and slow down, in order to preserve healthy fat reserves because our caloric intake simply isn't high enough. This slow down in metabolism signals a shift to a far more energy efficient mode of operating that generally increases the lifespan of people who run in this energy efficient, cellular pollution (waste/byproduct) reduced mode.

In general when an overweight person reaches this mode, they will find it necessary to start adding back more fat into their diet. But we want to be sure those are good fats. So we avoid fats like hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, and saturated fats, and polyunsaturated fats. (almost 70% of the fat found in arterial blockages is polyunsaturated fats that we thought were so great for us years ago.) We want to be sure the fats we do add back are mono-unsaturated fats and omega 3 fats. (flax oil is fantastic for vegans, and calorie restricted dieters... they will make their own DHA and EPA, for people who eat more animal produce it would be better to take a fish oils supplement with the most DHA you can find per dose, like Nordic Naturals DHA formula.)

For a person who has a really high metabolism and has difficulty gaining weight, they may find that a VERY CAREFULLY BALANCED, calorie restricted diet, designed to slow their metabolism down may be their best approach. This requires great care to ensure MORE than adequate nutrition while reducing calories. Weight loss will likely occur in the initial stages, but adequate protein to prevent damage/loss to muscle tissue, including the heart muscle combined with more than adequate nutrition, should prevent any dangerous loss of weight. This is usually accomplished by adding enough fat to your intake to finding the point at which weight loss does not occur, then slightly reduce fat intake. In a healthy person, their body will adapt to the lower calorie intake and weight loss should stop, and you should regain any fat losses you experienced. when weight is regained, you can then take your fat intake down another notch.

Essentially, you are tuning your cellular metabolism to run slower, and more energy efficiently. It can be a slow process, and can take time, effort, dietary changes, and monitoring by a health care professional. (I would recommend a registered dietetic professional over a doctor.)

I would definitely not recommend the severity and dietary abuse of the Atkins approach. It simply has too much saturated fat, hormones, anti-biotics, and other nasty drugs in it to be worth while. Especially when there are so many yummy fat sources to be had out there like nuts, seeds, flax, olives, avocado, sesame, etc...

Another thing to avoid like the plague is HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) and added sugar. It is what is now known as an "obesogen". It causes damage and insulin resistance in the liver. While someone who has trouble maintaining weight might think this is great... the long term diseases of metabolic syndrome far outweigh justifying it's use in our diet.

Some of the people with higher metabolisms may have genetic backgrounds that ate a lot more grain... like the Asian peoples for example. You may find you simply need to add more brown rice to your diet to maintain weight.

If I was going to add any starchy foods like grain, I would probably stick to brown/wild rice, barley, and rye before adding things like wheat or triticaley (sp?). Brown rice bran has an awesome protein profile, and barley and rye have immune boosting properties.

Abiding, you didn't indicate your height that I saw, so I have no idea how slender you are, or how serious your problem is, if at all... but being it is the summer months, the drop from 103 to 98 isn't severe enough to worry about unless your height indicates you are already dangerously thin.

As far as getting adequate protein goes... it is not as hard as the AMA would have you think. The USDA protein recommendations are way too high, as they were based upon infant rat protein requirements. Human infant protein requirements are met by mother's milk, and human milk is only 5% protein. That 5% protein is only needed during the times when we are growing the fastest. So, when we consider this rationally and realize that most plants have better than a 5% protein profile, it is easy to see that meeting out protein needs is much easier than we thought.

Interestingly, the more animal protein you consume.. the higher your intake requirements will be, while the more plants you eat the lower your protein intake will need to be. This seems to be directly related to the metabolic rate, and acid forming nature of animal products. So having a higher metabolism, you may need more protein. You will also need more protein if you are exercising heavily, working strenuously, or body/muscle building.
Last edited by bchandler on Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bchandler

Postby bchandler on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:57 am

http://healthtip.hacres.com/index.php/2010/09/21/america-overfed-undernourished/

I found this article and it's citations quite telling. The government knows what is wrong with our society... what is killing us... and they are doing nothing to change it. They continue to subsidize corn, beef and dairy like madmen.

What they don't tell you in that article is that the SAD also contains vastly excessive amounts of animal fat and protein. Which is why the SAD is so calorie dense.

It is this combination of refined processed foods, bio-plastic food like substances, and sugars with huge doses of animal fat and protein that is just plain suicidal.

It is criminal that our government allows such things to continue, let alone that they subsidize this behavior.

Subsidies are designed to encourage a desired behavior... so we can onyl conclude from this that our government really want us to be fat, dumb, sick, addicted, diseased, and miserable... all the while believing we are happy and that this is just the way life is.

As a people, I think we are insane.
bchandler

Postby extravagantchristian on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:03 pm

I was just thinking about the "4 food groups", and how they recommend that we eat more grains than anything else each day, something crazy like 6-9 servings. But do grains even contain any nutritional benefit, that can only be obtained from grains? Like, I understand why we should eat meat, fruits, and veggies, because they each have their own UNIQUE nutritional benefits, but as far as I know, grains don't have much nutritional value all by themselves, let alone any significant benefits that are unique making them a necessary part of our diet. Am I wrong? Like, I'm sure if we ate only meat, fruit, veggies and nuts, that would be 100% nutritionally complete right? So why do "they" tell us we need to eat MORE grains than anything else? :roll:

**edit
eeww I was wrong, they reccomend 6-11 servings of grains per day :eek:
extravagantchristian

Postby jgilberAZ on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:52 pm

They want us to eat grains as part of a low fat high carbohydrate diet because they have sold out to the lipid hypothesis.

It's junk science at best.

It's the low fat high carb diet that's causing many of the "modern" diseases.

google "lipid hypothesis"

Here's what Dr. Eades has to say about it:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/unca ... ypothesis/

- Jeff
jgilberAZ

Postby bchandler on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:33 pm

extravagantchristian wrote:I was just thinking about the "4 food groups", and how they recommend that we eat more grains than anything else each day, something crazy like 6-9 servings. But do grains even contain any nutritional benefit, that can only be obtained from grains? Like, I understand why we should eat meat, fruits, and veggies, because they each have their own UNIQUE nutritional benefits, but as far as I know, grains don't have much nutritional value all by themselves, let alone any significant benefits that are unique making them a necessary part of our diet. Am I wrong? Like, I'm sure if we ate only meat, fruit, veggies and nuts, that would be 100% nutritionally complete right? So why do "they" tell us we need to eat MORE grains than anything else? :roll:

**edit
eeww I was wrong, they reccomend 6-11 servings of grains per day :eek:

The USDA food pyramid is more about supporting the agri business industries that receive massive Federal subsidies.

Grain isn't really bad... it's just that we eat too much of it, and we refine it, and we bleach it. Bleached flour has no fiber, almost no nutrients, is almost pure sugar (in the form of starch).

Everything we eat that contains this junk will help to drive metabolic syndrome.

Whole grains are healthier, but their nutrient:carb ratio is still way out of whack.

The better grains, that include immune boosting substances are rye, barley, oats, etc...

The issue isn't that grains are bad... just that we eat way to much of them, in refined form, and as GMOs and hybrids all designed to produce the most starch possible.

That thin shell of nutrients known as bran, and germ was not designed to support digestion of that many carbs. per kernel of grain. So, we have high tryglycerides, cholesterol, and everything else that goes with metabolic syndrome.

Rye, and cancer fighting mushrooms have a wonderful set of compounds known as "Beta 1-3D Glucans" that are incredible immune system boosters, cancer fighters, and stem cell based regenerative stimulators. Thanks to Godstudent for turning me on to this wonderful class of nutrients.

One of the best in this class is a mushroom known as Tiaga. Scientific name is Fomitopsis Pinicola. It is used as a tea, and taken powdered in capsules. Patient testimonials include reversals of cancers, type 1 and 2 diabetes, heart valve regeneration, pancreatic regeneration of islet cells, disappearance of scar tissue. etc...

So, are grains bad? No. But we eat too much of it, and we eat it in modified and hybridized forms that are not as good as the old heirloom varieties.
bchandler

Postby Kedo on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:40 pm

Check these links out.. I have changed the way I eat over the last couple of years knowing what they are adding to our food and water. I feel sorry for Americans the most as they are getting so much rubbish shoved into their systems and most people don't realize it.
Part 3 is cool and I have added coriander, Garlic, Turmeric to my diet and stopped drinking fluoride tap water..
Here in Sydney Australia they add fluoride to the water unfortunately.
I must admit I feel heaps better dropping preservatives out of my diet.
The links below are well worth checking out.

Dumbing Down Society Part I: Foods, Beverages and Meds
http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=4051

Dumbing Down Society Part 2: Mercury in Foods and Vaccines
http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=4116

Dumbing-Down Society Part 3: How to Reverse its Effects
http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=4210

Check this post out regarding McDonalds lol...

Her photographs revealed that after 145 days, the burger and fries appeared as fresh as the day they were purchased from McDonald’s nearly 5 months ago.

http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=5005

For those of you who consider these eternal McDonald’s hamburger claims over the top, consider this: McDonald’s chicken McNuggets contain tertiary butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), a petroleum-based product also added to varnishes, lacquers, resins, and oil field additives, and dimethylpolysiloxane, an anti-foaming agent used in Silly Putty.
Kedo

Postby bchandler on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:07 pm

There has been some posts challenging the benefits of a plant based diet, and of the China Study in particular.

Link

Above is a link that takes some of those criticisms and examines them in the light of honest research and scriptural truth. I hope you all enjoy it.
bchandler

Postby bchandler on Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:01 am

This link will take you to an article that discusses the wonders and benefits of carrot juice.

I thought you all might find it interesting.
bchandler

Postby daffodyllady on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Diet rules:

1. If no one sees you eat something, it has no calories.

2. When drinking a Diet Coke with a chocolate bar, the Diet Coke cancels out the sugar in the chocolate bar.

3. When you eat with someone else, calories don’t count if you do not eat more than they do.

4. Food used for medicinal purposes does not count (for example, hot chocolate, toast, cheesecake, and vodka.)

5. If you fatten up the people around you, you are automatically thinner by comparison.

6. Movie theater foods have a zero calorie count as they are part of the entertainment package and not counted as food intake. This includes popcorn, Snow Caps, and ice cream.

7. Cookie pieces have no calories because breaking the cookies up causes calorie leakage.

8. Foods licked from spoons and forks have no fat if you are in the process of cooking something.

9. Anything eaten while standing has no calories due to gravity and the density of the calorie mass.

10. Food consumed from someone else’s plate has no fat as it rightfully belongs to the other person and will cling to his or her plate.

And remember: STRESSED spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

found online.. just had to share :grin:
Daffodyllady
daffodyllady

Postby burien1 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:13 pm

:laugh: Rules I can live by. :bag:
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby extravagantchristian on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:38 am

:lol:
extravagantchristian

Postby bchandler on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:59 am

LINK

Above is a link to an article that discusses the life and ministry of Paul Bragg. As a young man, he used natural foods to recover from tuberculosis. He dedicated the rest of his life, as a promise to God, to teaching the world how to live long healthy, and vibrant lives through nutritional healing.

Enjoy the article, I know I did.
bchandler

Postby bchandler on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Here is some intertesting information just published by John's Hopkins:

Johns Hopkins Update –
This is an extremely good article. Everyone should read it.

AFTER YEARS OF TELLING PEOPLE CHEMOTHERAPY IS THE ONLY WAY TO TRY ('TRY', BEING THE KEY WORD) TO ELIMINATE CANCER, JOHNS HOPKINS IS FINALLY STARTING TO TELL YOU THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE WAY.

Cancer Update from Johns Hopkins:
    1. Every person has cancer cells in the body. These cancer
    cells do not show up in the standard tests until they have
    multiplied to a few billion. When doctors tell cancer patients
    that there are no more cancer cells in their bodies after
    treatment, it just means the tests are unable to detect the
    cancer cells because they have not reached the detectable
    size.

2. Cancer cells occur between 6 to more than 10 times in a
    person's lifetime.

3. When the person's immune system is strong the cancer
    cells will be destroyed and prevented from multiplying and
    forming tumors.

4. When a person has cancer it indicates the person has
    nutritional deficiencies. These could be due to genetic,
    but also to environmental, food and lifestyle factors.

5. To overcome the multiple nutritional deficiencies, changing
    diet
    to eat more adequately and healthy, 4-5 times/day
    and by including supplements will strengthen the immune system.

6. Chemotherapy involves poisoning the rapidly-growing
    cancer cells and also destroys rapidly-growing healthy cells
    in the bone marrow, gastrointestinal tract etc, and can
    cause organ damage, like liver, kidneys, heart, lungs etc.

7.. Radiation while destroying cancer cells also burns, scars
    and damages healthy cells, tissues and organs.

8. Initial treatment with chemotherapy and radiation will often
    reduce tumor size. However prolonged use of
    chemotherapy and radiation do not result in more tumor
    destruction.

9. When the body has too much toxic burden from
    chemotherapy and radiation the immune system is either
    compromised or destroyed, hence the person can succumb
    to various kinds of infections and complications.

10. Chemotherapy and radiation can cause cancer cells to
    mutate and become resistant and difficult to destroy.
    Surgery can also cause cancer cells to spread to other
    sites.

11. An effective way to battle cancer is to starve the cancer
    cells by not feeding it with the foods it needs to multiply.

*CANCER CELLS FEED ON:

a. Sugar substitutes like NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc are made
      with Aspartame and it is harmful
      . A better natural substitute
      would be Manuka honey or molasses, but only in very small
      amounts. Table salt has a chemical added to make it white in
      color Better alternative is Bragg's aminos or sea salt.

b. Milk causes the body to produce mucus, especially in the
      gastro-intestinal tract. Cancer feeds on mucus. By cutting
      off milk and substituting with unsweetened almond or soy milk cancer
      cells are being starved.

c. Cancer cells thrive in an acid environment. A meat-based
      diet is acidic
      and it is best to eat sea fishes. Commercially raised meats also contains livestock
      antibiotics, growth hormones and parasites, which are all
      harmful, especially to people with cancer.
      A better alternative would be a diet made of 80% fresh vegetables and juice, whole
      grains, seeds, nuts and a little fruits help put the body into
      an alkaline environment. About 20% can be from cooked
      food including beans. Fresh vegetable juices provide live
      enzymes that are easily absorbed and reach down to
      cellular levels within 15 minutes to nourish and enhance
      growth of healthy cells. To obtain live enzymes for building
      healthy cells try and drink fresh vegetable juice (most
      vegetables including be an sprouts) and eat some raw
      vegetables 2 or 3 times a day. Enzymes are destroyed at
      temperatures of 104 degrees F (40 degrees C)..

D. Avoid coffee, tea, and chocolate, which have high
      caffeine Green tea or even better African red tea (Rooibos) is a better alternative and has cancer
      fighting properties. Water-best to drink purified water, or
      filtered, to avoid known toxins and heavy metals in tap
      water. Distilled water is acidic, avoid it.
    12. Meat protein is difficult to digest and requires a lot of
    digestive enzymes. Undigested meat remaining in the
    intestines becomes putrefied and leads to more toxic
    buildup.

13. Cancer cell walls have a tough protein covering. By
    refraining from or eating less meat it frees more enzymes
    to attack the protein walls of cancer cells and allows the
    body's killer cells to destroy the cancer cells.

14. Some supplements build up the immune system
    (IP6, Flor-ssence, Essiac, anti-oxidants, vitamins, minerals,
    Omega 3s like EPA/DHA etc.) to enable the bodies own killer cells to destroy
    cancer cells.. Other supplements like vitamin E are known
    to cause apoptosis, or programmed cell death, the body's
    normal method of disposing of damaged, unwanted, or
    unneeded cells.

15. Cancer is a disease of the mind, body, and spirit.
    A proactive and positive spirit will help the cancer warrior
    be a survivor. Anger, un-forgiveness and bitterness put
    the body into a stressful and acidic environment. Learn to
    have a loving and forgiving spirit. Learn to relax and enjoy
    life.

16. Cancer cells cannot thrive in an oxygenated
    environment. Exercising daily, and deep breathing help to
    get more oxygen down to the cellular level. Oxygen
    therapy is another means employed to destroy cancer
    cells.

1. No plastic containers in micro.

2. No water bottles in freezer.

3. No plastic wrap in microwave..

Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in its newsletters. This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center as well. Dioxin chemicals cause cancer, especially breast cancer. Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies. Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic. Recently, Dr Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital , was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us. He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers. This especially applies to foods that contain fat.
bchandler

Postby bchandler on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:02 am

Since the issues of Diabetes... a symptom of a condition known as Metabolic Syndrome X... has resurfaced... I thought I might post some information and recommended reading.

Q: Is the Atkins diet good for diabetics
IMO, Atkins is an extreme that is unnecessary, has you eating ridiculous quantities of animal produce that we are not designed for (Which increases cancer risks). This will also have you eating lots of animal fats which will have lots of AA ( a stress class of cellular eicosonoid hormone precursor), which helps to drive all of the symptoms of Metabolic syndrome x.

Medicine treats you as if you have lots of separate diseases. You actually have one disease (Metabolic Syndrome x), with varied symptoms. The symptoms are varied depending upon how your genetics express the disease.

Different people will show different symptoms:
    High BP
    High Cholesterol
    High sugars
    Low Sugar Crashes
    High triglycerides
    Excessive clotting factors (sticky blood)
    Heart Disease
    Arteriosclerosis
    Atherosclerosis
    PAD
    Even non-alcohol induced sclerosis of the liver

Rather than the extreme of Atkins, which kicks your metabolism into overdrive (increasing cancer risk and stressing your entire system, especially your kidneys, a better approach would be a low-carbohydrate, high nutrient density diet that provides:
    Extremely high nutrient per calorie density (for healing)
    Below average calories (for weight loss and longevity)
    Adequate protein (to prevent loss of muscle mass)
    Minimal fat intake (initially we will be burning the fat already on our bodies.)
    Good omega 3 fat and medium chain fats (The fats we do eat need to be as healthy as possible.)

a juice powder I am currently testing (and selling) has all of these characteristics, and i add it to my vegetable juice to boost the over all nutrient density and meal replacement quality of my already nutrient dense vegetable juice.

I still hold to the approach that Zone Nutrition is better than Atkins, but even Zone gets a lot of it's protein from animal produce. Dr. Joel Fuhrman, IMO, unfairly pans Zone nutrition... but the fact is that his vegetarian approach... any vegetarian approach... relies upon the principles Dr. Sears defines for "Entering the Zone" by keeping carb intake low, which keeps insulin levels low, which causes us to "Enter the Zone" and burn fat for fuel instead of sugar.

BTW, salad dressings, should only be CLEAR, extremely low calorie vinaigrettes, or crushed fruit juices (i love crushed mandarine oranges) and such (<20 calories per tsp). NO CREAMY DRESSINGS! Even the low calorie creamy dressings have fractionated fats, so they can call it fat free when it isn't, and their calorie counts are also false.

Once your weight reaches ideal (if you have weight to lose... which most diabetics do) then you can add back in more healthy fats to stop weight loss, and you can add back some of those creamy dressings we all love so much.

By doing this, we keep insulin low, we lose the sugar cravings, we force the cells to put up more insulin receptor sites due to calorie restriction, we are never hungry due to the increased bulk of our food supply, and our cells can heal and our DNA can repair better because of our nutrient density.

Here are my recommendations for self-education regarding human metabolism. These are educational books, I am not recommending that you engage in these diets... each book is just part of the puzzle.
    Death by Diet - Robert Barefoot
    The Calcium Factor - Robert Barefoot
    Entering the Zone - Dr. Barry Sears
    The Omega Rx Zone - Dr. Barry Sears
    Eat to Live or Eat for Health - Dr. Joel Fuhrman
    Every piece of educational video you can get your hands on from http://www.hacres.com

Once you have these under your belt, if you haven't read them before, you will know everything you need to know about why a mostly raw vegan diet will work best to increase fat loss, increase health, increase cellular receptors, reverse metabolic syndrome, and keep you in the fat burning zone.

Adding a few basic supplements to your juices or salad dressings will more than make up for any nutrients lost by giving up meat.

food supplements/additives that you may want to include in your diet:
    Omega 3 fats that can be used in dressings rather than vegetable oil
    Ground flax seed - (For omega 3 fats)
    Ground Chia seed - (For nutrient density and protein)
    Brown rice protein powder - (For Protein)
    Nutritional yeast flakes - (For B Vitamins)
    Liquid Vitamin D3 - (if you don't get full body sun more than 15 min per day)
    Liquid Vitamin B Complex - (if you don't like, or want to use the yeast.)

As you can see... most of this list is actually food that you can simple add to your juice smoothies, and what is actually supplements is only needed if you don't eat the foods.

If you are going to eat animal products, you should probably focus on EPA/DHA as your omega 3 supplement.
If you are going vegan, then you can use thing like flax oil for your omega 3 sources, and your body will turn the ALA in the flax oil into EPA/DHA.
bchandler

Postby jgilberAZ on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:05 am

bchandler wrote:I am not a god or a doctor, and nothing i say should be construed as medical advice or even as correct. I am merely a living soul who is exercising my unalienable rights, endowed upon me by my creator, and recognized in the Constitution for the united States of America, to freely speak about the things i believe. No other soul should grant my words any weight without first determining their credibility and/or accuracy for themselves.

:a3:

http://jgilber.blogspot.com/2010/09/low-carb-links.html

And, what he says applies to me, too.

Do your own research in order to verify or discount anyone's position.
jgilberAZ

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:15 am

Hey BC: Ok, I see this and I need to flag it. There is so much to get into here, and I have to work right now. :mrgreen:
So, do we have to juice to get the nutrition we need with the Metabolic X syndrome?
What about coffee and tea? I love both.
What about sweetners? I haven't found an artificial sweetner that I like, but have been considering splenda?

Basically, what I am seeing, is go Vegan to put all of the symptoms into something like remission. If you do vegan, what is the percentage of vegetables to fruits that will enable the body to avoid the sugar cravings? I want to get rid of that, but I LOVE fruits and not so much vegetables (spoken like a true diabetic!).
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby bchandler on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:57 am

Well... berries are a very low carb fruit that has very high nutrient density.

As for your linked blog JgilberAZ. You are quite correct that low-carb higher protein and fat works well... So think of a vegan diet as similar form the standpoint of limiting carbs, just with much more bulk, and nutrient density than doing it with animal products... The concepts are over-all fairly similar.

Please note the point I made that you are initially restricting fat only to force your body to burn it's abundant fat stores...
Please note that I specifically made the point that once weight idealizes, additional fat is required to stabilize weight...

Eating Vegan is NOT low fat... if i didn't make that clear before, let's hope it is clear now. Eating Vegan is a high fat diet, but you are initially using your bodies own fat stores... Once your weight idealizes... you have to add back as much fat as necessary to prevent further weight loss... and for some people... that is a whole lot of fat...

I myself love to add flakes of wild caught dry cured salmon to my salads when i am looking to get more protein and good fat, but for every ounce of it I add to a salad... My caloric intake goes up by 100%... which, if you need the extra calories to stabilize weight, is a great way to go.

In the Men's health mag article it finishes off with some guy ordering double cheeseburgers hold the bun... And if this is someone's idea of a good idea... they are sadly mistaken... Eating like this may throw your body into overdrive and force it to burn massive amounts of fat... But, the AA fat and the trans fat from the meats and cheese place incredible stresses on the body. This is why I say that Atkins approach is extreme. Even it's advocates are moderating their recommendations to eating "cleaner" protein, and "healthier" fat sources.

Now I am not saying you need to go Vegan mind you... I am saying that you need to get most of your protein from clean sources if possible, as well as changing your fat intakes from animal sources to vegetable source... from things like flax, avocado, olives, coconut oil... essentially swapping out saturated animal fats for mono-unsaturated, and medium chain plant fats.

Poly-unsaturated fats... that we were all told were good for us... make up nearly 70% of arterial blockages...

Some animal fats have loads of good fats... like "wild caught not farmed" salmon, mackerel, and tuna... and some animal fats can be made "cleaner" by free range, no grain, vegetable only feeding. But good luck finding it anywhere... and the cost... wow!

From a vegetable oil standpoint... even if it is mono-unsaturated... If it can sit out in a clear container, and not spoil... DON'T EAT IT! If bacteria won't eat it NEITHER SHOULD YOU!
bchandler

Postby daffodyllady on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:16 pm

lol @ jgilberAZ. :hugs:
Daffodyllady
daffodyllady

Postby bchandler on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:26 pm

sweeteners... I try to stick to stevia, and agave nectar. Stevia is a 0 calorie plant extract (i use the liquid type.) Agave is from the agave cactus and has a very slow Glycemic Index. So while it is sugar, it is less likely to spike your blood sugars.

Coffee and Tea both have compounds are essentially preservatives... like Tannin acids. It would be better for your to drink vegetable juices, Green juice smoothies, or Berry based smoothies

No you don't HAVE to juice. But it will help you turn the corner on your health faster than not juicing.
bchandler

Postby GodsStudent on Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:28 pm

I need juicer recipes...... :mrgreen:

I tried Agave Nectar a few years ago...didn't like it. I will have to try it again. I actually GREW stevia and ground the leaves up, but at the end of the day, I couldn't imagine putting that powdered leave into my tea, so I didn't. Wonder how they get the liquid form of Stevia, because growing the plant is a sinch.

Im not opposed to juicing, but am worried about:
1) The flavor
2) Whether or not I will be able to function on a shake. I can see keeping lots of fresh veggies handy and consuming them, but the bulk seems necessary to keep me "fed." Does juicing replace meals?
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby bchandler on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:29 pm

http://www.juicingbook.com/vegetables

I wouldn't necessarily use the green stevia leaves for anything but a novelty... The extracts can have an aftertaste... you just have to try various extracts until you find one you like.

Agave is kinda the same... there are dark varieties and light ones.... just like with honey.

juicing can either supplement or replace meals. I found the heavier i was on the greens, the more it killed my appetite... but starting off heavy can trigger cleansing headaches... That site above should help... but you can call me and we can talk... you have my number.

Keeping fresh veggies around to snack on will help deal with the munchies.
bchandler

Postby bchandler on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:45 am

Of course this would need to be natural C, not lab grown ascorbic acid... But C is a natural chelator... in states where EDTA chelation is outlawed, or where chelating doctors are afraid to use it. Vitamin C is commonly used.

Vitamin C - You know it's good for you. But did you know that vitamin C could safely and effectively clear your arteries of dangerous plaque that leads to heart attack and stroke.

* Dr. James Enstrom from the University of California studied the vitamin intake of over 11,000 people for 10years. He found that 300mg of vitamin C a day reduced risk of heart disease by 50 percent in men and 40 percent in women. The test also revealed that a higher intake of vitamin C boosted life expectancy by 6 years.

* Dr. Willis found that people taking 1,500mg of vitamin C a day for 12 months reversed plaque while those who didn't take vitamin C had worsening plaque.

* Dr. Tetsuji Yokoyama showed high levels of vitamin C are the most important factor in determining whether people age 40 and over would suffer a stroke later in life.
bchandler

Postby bchandler on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:47 am

Hallelujah Acres Webinars

The above link will take you to Hallelujah Acres TV. Specifically their webinar page... Lisa... especially for you, I would start with the "Gods Way" seminar... it is a lot to take in, but worth it... Then i would look over the testimonials... especially the Diabetes ones... Then start looking over recipes...

People think it is hard to change you eating habits, but think about it this way...

Most of us only cook/eat about 10-20 different dishes... so... If you replaced one recipe in your repetoir per week... so you are actively trying new dishes and finding 1 per week that you like and want to stick into your bag of tricks... within 2 and half to 5 months... you will have changed your entire lifestyle over to something amazing...

If you spend any amount of time watching vegans cook, you will soon realize that you will need a different set of kitchen tools from what you are used to. I am still working on my own set of tools.
Here is my preferred (dream) list:
    A very High Powered Blender - BlendTech or Vitamix are probably the best i know of. ~500 bucks
    A large capacity food processor - The 12 cup Kitchen Aid is the best i know of. ~200 bucks
    A Greenstar Juicer and a Norwalk - (I currently use a champion juicer ~100 used) All totaled ~3000 bucks
    A food dehydrator - It just needs to have a thermostat that can be set for temps below 100 degrees. ~200 bucks
    A small personal coffee grinder - No preference. Any one will do. Used for grinding small seeds, and Ingredients

No, you don't have to have a Norwalk... that is a dream for me... but If you can easily swing it... it is the King of juicers... The greenstar is good for juicing the tough fibrous grasses and greens, like barley, wheat, alfalfa, parsley, etc... which masticating juicers have a tough time with.

I got my champion out of the local classifieds for a hundred bucks... and it has a grain grinding attachment as well.
I can make juices, nut butters, fruit and berry sorbets, and flours with my champion. So far I am really happy with my champion... but a juice press like the Norwalk has been proven to extract more nutrients and juice... so it gets more out of the produce you are spending money on... so in the long run it pays for itself... If you use it every day.

I hope you enjoy the seminars and testimonials... i know i sure do. I would love to see HAcres on netflix or on a justintv channel or something.
bchandler

Postby bchandler on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:12 am

Hallelujah acres have 2 flagship products that they sell... Barley Max (with or without alfalfa) and Trio Max. These are both amazing products if you choose to try them rather than spending lots of time juicing.

I am currently using/testing, and engaged in a business with another product that, I am fairly impressed with at the moment... This is the first time I have ever been involved in a food type of business, but this product was so well formulated that i just HAD to try it.

I add it to my vegetable juices to kick them up a notch... It combines 30 super foods in one product, many of which would be hard to acquire or prepare, and the rest of what it contains are all things that i juice now...

My blood pressure normalized within 1 week of starting on it... but because i essentially sell the product as a 2 years to retirement business opportunity, i won't post it here... I don't want to push anything on anyone... my friends here are too important, and it is against the rules. But I will tell you that I have experienced some accelerated healing results since adding it to my veggie juices.
bchandler

Postby bchandler on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:30 am

Hey Lisa... a great tea for you... if you can find it... is Rooibos. It is African red tea, and is sometimes sold as a Rooibos/Pomegranate blend, which is also fantastic. It has ZERO caffeine, and 50 times the anti-oxidant power of Japanese green tea. I haven't been drinking it.. i ran out... so i forgot about it... But i like it plain or sweetened with a drop or 2 of stevia liquid extract.

I also drink a mushroom tea made from the Tiaga Mushroom (scientific name Fomitopsis Pinicola). It is a bitter tea, I sweeten it with stevia sometimes... but i actually kind of like its bitter astringent taste/feel.

Tiaga is loaded with 6 different families of Beta 1,3D Glucanoids, similar to what your friend extracts from barley... Which means that it is anti-carcinogenic, it provides massive boosts to the immune system, and it increases stem cell production and proliferation. People taking this tea have seen type 1 and type 2 diabetes resolved, scar tissue disappear, and organ and tissue regeneration... including regenerating a heart valve, via stem cell migration into and replacement of a pig valve... These stories are anecdotal, and not confirmed... But there is enough massively good stuff in it that i didn't really care if they were anecdotal, and had no other evidence.
bchandler

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:40 am

Wow, the Tiaga tea sounds fantastic. I will have to keep this thread and it's information handy. I'm wondering if you, by chance, are selling "Tribal Veggies." I think that's the name of it. My friend told me about these things. They grow them organically, hydroponically, and use them on their farm, which is a wholistic cancer treatment farm somewhere in the middle of the country (don't remember where). Like what you're describing, juicing along with these concentrated veggies, give super kicks to the body, the immune system, and even go so far as to reverse things, such as cancer, happening in the body.
I have heard of, and seen amazing pictures of cancer goiters coming through people's bodies, and straight out of the skin above where the cancer was, and falling off.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby bchandler on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:13 pm

Amazing... but no... that is a new one to me... I will have to look into it. I will send you a PM you can check out for yourself what I am getting into.
bchandler

Postby bchandler on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:42 pm

Lisa... Here is a link to hundreds of fantastic recipes...

http://www.hacres.com/recipes

The beverages page has dozens of tasty low glycemic smoothies and juices that i think you will really love... As well as a bunch of really fantastic green juice recipes for maximum health.

Enjoy.

(edited because somehow it seems i didn't get the link inserted, which i seem to be doing a lot lately) :lol:
Last edited by bchandler on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
bchandler

Postby GodsStudent on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:15 am

Thank you!!!! This is really awesome. I am working through the overwhelmed in my mind to trying to get to a realistic place where I can apply the things I have learned, sort out what I need to do to start with (as some of this is building up as opposed to doing it all at once). I also spoke with my scientist friend who is going to loan me her zillion dollar juicer to try and see if I like juicing. She told me that they're a pain to clean and that juicing is vital for those people who have conditions like cancer which will require optimum nutrition in small packages so that their body can go into health overdrive while they don't have to process all the bulk of the nutrients they are taking in (as they often are sick on their stomach or just too weak to do it). She said the body is "set" to heal and recover, so it will always be striving in that direction, and things like juicing help it get there quicker, or sustain in the event one can't sustain on their own.

For me, this most recent tidbit of information about my severely low vitamin D level is a kickstart to understanding what is going wrong in my body. I feel like a big part of my plan is to do the things I need to do to flood my body with absorbable vitamin D. I know the prescription my Dr. gave me will do some, but I am also buying light bulbs that have full spectrum capacity and will sit under those. I would appreciate juicing in the short term, at least, to give me the macro and micro nutrients needed to help me absorb this D I am trying to take in. From what I understand, my deficiency is so severe that it very likely has a lot to do with everything going on with me....so, I am getting rid of the sugars (which interfere with the absorption of D), getting rid of the processed foods (which do the same), and I look forward to success and feeling a whole lot better.

Im very encouraged. I have been praying about this thing and the Lord has given me people who are doing the right tests, resources which are showing me what's wrong and even how to fix it......I know the Lord is going to see me through this thing. I am already claiming the victory in Him.....I am looking forward to a new day when I feel good.....and in all that has been revealed to me and tested in me.....I know I should and can look forward to it.

Thanks be to God. :bowing:
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby bchandler on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:20 am

You are absolutely correct Lisa, or rather your friend is... Cancer patients benefit tremendously from juicing... especially when they can't keep anything else down... The juice will usually enter their small intestines before they can bring it back up... and it is usually consumed in small sips as you work up some saliva between sips... so that your digestive enzymes get mixed with the juice... Digestion starts in the mouth!

I am curious what kind of juicer your friend is lending you.

The Norwalk is the only one i know of that runs over 1000 dollars. (~2500)

Every other juicer i am aware of runs between 100 and 500 dollars.

Hacres.com has so many hundreds of great recipes for everything, including salad dressings. Not just juices and smoothies. I really enjoy that part of their site. I just wanted you to see that there were lots of great tasting things you can still enjoy without blowing your sugars sky high and destroying your insulin profile. That way your body stays in its more energy efficient fat burning mode, nutrient density is always high, and calorie to nutrient ratio is beneficial, causing cells to put up more insulin receptors.

D is important. Of that there is no doubt. But as a diabetic, the most frustrating thing is that many vital nutrients seem to use the same receptors as insulin. So eating to much of them can occupy receptors, and prevent the clearing of blood-sugars, resulting in spikes in both insulin and blood sugars. Because of this, it is more important than ever to get as much of your nutrients as possible in beneficial complexes found only in plants, and to use as few supplements as possible, and especially to avoid those that can cause Blood-Sugar spikes.

Periodic fasting... until you are REALLY HUNGRY... is also a way to cause cells to put up more insulin receptors... so is regular aerobic exercise of ~30 minutes duration. Aerobic exercise is defined as any activity that can raise and sustain the heart rate at ~140 bpm. The exact target range changes with age. For really out of shape people, they may find just going or a walk is enough to hit this range. As fitness increases, it becomes necessary to engage in more vigorous activities, such as jogging, running, or sprinting.

Covert Baily, the author of "Fit or Fat", tells of a marathon runner who was having a hard time increasing his aerobic capacity... after a 5 mile run his heart rate was 60... so rather than a jogging, or running, he had to engage in wind sprints to get his heart rate up to his target aerobic zone. It is highly unlikely anyone reading this thread would ever need to go to such extremes to reach aerobic levels... but the story serves to illustrate the point.

The kind of exercise you do to reach aerobic levels needs to be full body motion, such as walking, jogging, running, biking, swimming, climbing, etc... and only as intense as needed to sustain your heart rate in the aerobic zone.

Weight lifting is NOT aerobic... it can place the heart into an aerobic state... but the muscles being isolated by weight lifting are functioning anaerobically.
bchandler

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever (Almost)