Diets and health for Christians

Discussion not limited to prophecy.

Postby Butterfly on Thu May 17, 2007 3:16 pm

Hey, I was also wondering about using alternatives to sugar or artificial sweetners. I use stevia in my tea but I doubt it would work well in many recipes. Any other ideas? I used splenda before but I was trying to avoid it because I get so many headaches and I suspect the splenda might be one cause. Would agave nectar work on low carb? I know it has a lot of carbs but it is low on the glycemic index. What do you think?

Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby WhiteH2OWoman on Thu May 17, 2007 3:43 pm

Land, I used to run a personal fitness training business and have ghostwritten several books on losing weight.

I think the broccoli would be fine, and recommend it because it will probably give you a little more energy. Careful not to overcook it--lightly steamed just until it's bright green is best. You can season it with some lemon or lime juice and a dash of salt.
WhiteH2OWoman
Supporting Member

Postby FreeInHim on Thu May 17, 2007 5:08 pm

Wow, I'm just seeing this thread now. Can't believe it was started just today, and it's already on page two. Talk about hot topics! :grin:

I tried the low carb diet a few years ago, and lost 18 pounds in a month which was fantastic. The problem was that while the diet promised I'd be amazed at all the energy I'd have, just the opposite happened. I became extremely lethargic and irritable. I also have IBS, and it seemed to exacerbate the problem. I'm curious if anyone else went through, or is going through, this problem on the low carb diet? My poor husband actually asked me to get off the diet because it was making me so ill and tempermental. :(
FreeInHim

Postby grace2all on Thu May 17, 2007 5:54 pm

I did Atkins years ago..The weight loss was great, but couldn't stick to the diet.

I'm low carbing now, but not specifically the Atkins diet. I've been able to find a balance that works for me. I cut out pretty much all junk food and sugary drinks. I eat whatever fruits and veggies I desire.

I allow myself to have a slice of cake or some other naughty food whenever I go to parties/family gatherings. I've found this works for me and has caused me to stick to a relatively low carb diet and have it become part of a lifestyle for me.

I also incorporate mild exercise to help with the weight loss and overall health.

The weight loss has been gradual (rather than a strict Aktins approach), but I've loss 16 pounds in the last 4 months and feel that I can stick to what I'm doing. I also don't feel like my energy has been zapped.

Let's keep it up everyone! :banana:

Great thread. :grin:
grace2all
Supporting Member

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 5:58 pm

Well, I have gotten off the soda, and I am drinkng lemon water instead. I have stayed at the same weight for years. I do not understand what has changed, but I am ready to do what it takes to get this "belly" to move on!
I very much appreciate all the tips and recipes I have seen here! :grin:
Candy
Lookfortruth

Diabetes

Postby kloo on Fri May 18, 2007 3:54 am

Land Of Hope And Glory wrote:No I'm not diabetic, my wife is though. She's just started insulin and they've got her on a high carb diet

Thanks Skipper; do you think the glycemic diet may be better than this?

1,000 posts whew lol

I was diagnosed Type 2 last year and I have found that without medication I can keep my blood glucose at acceptable levels by severely limiting total carbohydrates. The basic Atkins approach works excellent. We live in a low-fat for diet culture but finding low carb alternatives can be challenging.

I am more afraid of carbs than I am of fats (excluding trans-fats).

A well-known diabetes doctor/author (Bernstein) with Type 1 Diabetes
firmly believed that the recommended high-carb diets were slowly killing him.

I am grateful to God for sending me a wake-up call in the form of a stroke before I totally ruined myself.
In Jesus,

TerryC.
kloo

Postby Land Of Hope And Glory on Fri May 18, 2007 5:12 am

Oh crud

That's makes me feel a whole lot better.
Land Of Hope And Glory

Postby CarolinaCJ on Fri May 18, 2007 7:28 am

I'm glad I found this thread....I had quit the low carb diet (that was working) because in my mind I could not see giving up a whole group of foods forever. But since I've been eating carbs again it just seems like there's a ravenous monster inside begging for more carbs....I have gained every pound back and can't seem to get it under control. I gave up diet coke about 4 weeks ago because I was having 5-6 a day, and I knew that wasn't good for me either....but now I seem to have replaced that with carbs and food in general. :doh:

I haven't even been able to pray about this because I feel like such a "glutton".

:verysad:
cj

----------------------------------
CarolinaCJ

Postby lahalbo on Fri May 18, 2007 7:37 am

I also never felt the "boost" of energy like others talk about but I feel even worse when I do eat starchy carbs, especially around 1:30pm (after lunch). I think I might have an allergy to wheat because when I eat a lot of it I get puffy. And I can eat oranges and tomatoes and foods like that without it affecting me but as soon as I eat them with something made from wheat I get whelps. I really have to be careful. They aren't life threatening but they usually end up on my face, and it doesn't look so good. :( I woke up once with a swollen upper lip. Many people would have paid to have that look. haha

I eat A LOT of veggies. Tons of broccoli, spinach etc. I fell off the wagon and started eating bread and pasta etc. and am now working to get back into my clothes comfortably. Somethings I cannot even wear because they are too tight. I work out with weights and jump rope for cardio. Any little bit helps!!
lahalbo

Postby bchandler on Fri May 18, 2007 8:14 am

All,

I'm glad this thread started... I am a type 2 diabetic... and I can tell you from personal experience that the ADA recommended diet will only make your diabetes worse.

The FDA and ADA recommendations are a diet high in complex carbs and low in fat.

How do you fatten cattle for slaughter? feed them lots of complex carbs...(grain)... why? because it raises insuline and that causes them to put on fat... Why in the world would we then believe that a diet high in complex carbs would be healthy for us?

But it gets even worse... A diet that raises insuline levels (high carbs) also effects cellular enzymes which causes the body to produce more of a very bad kind of fat called Arachadonic Acid (AA). This fat is one of the main driving factors behind metabolic syndrom-x. Which includes a whole host of diseases... including diabetes.

But wait it gets worse... This combined with trans-fats (margarine, crisco, kraft food products in general, all those yummy creamy sauces and mayo) means your bodies fat metabolism is just completely out of whack. And you don't have the good fats in your diet to repair cells properly... so your body uses the bad fats.... but they don't make insuline receptors very well... etc...

How do you fix this?

Well 2 doctors IMO have found the real answer. Dr. Atkins and Dr. Sears.

Almost everyone knows who Atkins is... because his diet carries his name. His concept was an extremely high protein diet to kick the body into ketosis... which causes the body to burn fat. Unfortunately Dr. Atkins failed to use completely sound judgement in protein selection in his diet and allowed people to eat just any high protien source without taking into consideration the bad fats contained in those protein sources.

Fewer people know about Dr. Sears... but have likely heard of his diet called "Zone Nutrition" or 40-30-30 Nutrition or "Balance".

Zone nutrition doesn't go to the extremes atkins does... and it encourages the use of higher quality protien sources... and the avoidance of foods loaded with the bad fat AA. Something to note is that "The Zone" is not a diet you go on and then stop when you lose the weight... it is a life long nutritional program to change the way you are eating to be more healthy... and the quantities of food you will eat on this diet will amaze you... I am a 6'1" 250 pound guy... and I could hardly eat it all.

You will NOT go hungry on zone nutrition.

Dr. Sears in his latest research has found great benefit to adding supplemental omega 3 fats... especially EPA and DHA to the diet.

Now.. that being said... some people will find they plateu in their weight loss and and they need to re-ignite the fat burning process... and kick it up a notch.

The South-Beach diet basically does this by combining atkins and zone...

It starts off with atkins for 2 weeks, then switches to zone nutrition... after which.. any time you plateu and weight loss slows... you can kick back over to atkins for a week or so... just to get you over that hump... then switch back to zone nutrition.

So... here in a nutshell are the basics of zone nutrition:

1. It takes fat to burn fat... You must eat the right kinds of fats to stoke the cellular furnaces and activate and grow the enzyme pathways that burn fat in your cells. This means NO TRANS-FATS... AND NO FATS THAT CAN SIT OUT IN A CLEAR BOTTLE AND NOT GO RANCID.

The best fat sources are:

a. Extra Virgin "cold pressed" olive oil... for no and low temp cooking.
    b. Light olive oil (not heat processed) for low to med temp cooking.
    c. Macadamia or peanut oil for high temp cooking.
    d. Flax seed oil (with lignans) for cold uses like salads... (keep in fridge as can go rancid in as little as 30 min)
    e. Supplelmental Omega 3 fats (fish or sea algea based oil pills where at least 50% of the fat content is a combination of DHA and EPA.)
    f. Grass/vegetable fed (non-grain) animal products... meat, eggs, milk, cheese, etc... (health food store)
    g. non-holstein dairy products... raw if you can get them that way in your state. (health food store)
    h. Coconut Oil also called Coco Butter... A Medium Chain Fat that makes a good replacement for things like shortening or lard in baking/cooking.
    i. Fatty sea fishes (wild caught, not farmed) like salmon, tuna, mackerel, sardines, anchovies, etc...

2. A proper balance of protien, fat and carbs at every meal and snack will cause the body to go into "The Zone" where it burns fat for fuel instead of sugar.

3. It's important to eat the right kind of carbs to avoid insuline spikes. Essentially what this means is the lower the food is on a Glycemic Index chart, the longer it will take to be converted to blood sugar... The more even your insuline profile will be... The more fat your body will burn.

Note: lots of people expressed concerns about kidney damage due to long term ketosis... And if you were eating straight atkins and eating lousy protein sources like lots of grain fed bacon, and rib-eye and eggs it could be a problem... or actually lots of problems... to many to go into here...

However, If you are eating good solid protien sources without all the extra AA (bad fat) found in most commercially farmed animal produce... The simple truth is... if your body is burning fat... it is producing ketones... even if your not technically in ketosis. When the body goes into ketosis it basically becomes impossible for non-nerve cells to burn sugar for fuel.

Zone nutrition basically rides that balance between opening the fat burning enzyme pathways and allowing the cells to make use of both energy sources while burning more fat... and pushing to the extreme of ketosis.

As with most things in life... extremes are usually only useful for a short period of time... after which a more balanced approach is required.

I think this is true for nutrition as well... while the extremes of high carb or high protein may be useful at various times... the best approach seems to be a more balanced one.

Lastly, I wanted to point out that the FDA's idea of a balanced diet has nothing to do with your health... and has far more to do with the FTC trying to federally mandate support for certain portions of our food industry. The FDA is so wrong about so much... I stopped believing anything they say long ago...

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor or a nutritionist... just a lay person who bothered to study and learn some basic truths about the way God designed us... Everything I have stated here is my personal opinion... protected by the first amendment... and should not be construed as medical advice.
bchandler

Postby lahalbo on Fri May 18, 2007 8:19 am

Great post BC!! :clap:
lahalbo

Postby bchandler on Fri May 18, 2007 8:24 am

If you want a good snack food that you can feel good about... Target carries the Hershy's "Smart Zone" nutrition bars... and they taste great... and can be a good way to replace bad carb habits.
bchandler

Postby CarolinaCJ on Fri May 18, 2007 8:27 am

If you want a good snack food that you can feel good about... Target carries the Hershy's "Smart Zone" nutrition bars... and they taste great... and can be a good way to replace bad carb habits.

Thanks bd...that's good to know. You never know what those protein bars are going to taste like.
cj

----------------------------------
CarolinaCJ

Postby bchandler on Fri May 18, 2007 8:33 am

Recommended Reading:

The Makers Diet - Forget the author...
Entering The Zone - Dr. Barry Sears
The Omega Rx Zone - Dr. Barry Sears
Death by Diet - Robert Barefoot (Research Chemist)
The Calcium Factor - Robert Barefoot (Research Chemist)

Audio tape... if you can find it...

Dead Doctors don't Lie
bchandler

Postby lahalbo on Fri May 18, 2007 8:43 am

We have The Maker's Diet book. The author is a Messianic Jew. It was an interesting read.

He has a drink that he drinks everyday I think, and it sounds really gross, but it is supposed to be very healthy. I believe all the ingredients have to be purchased at a health food store. I never got the nerve up to make it. I don't know if he describes it as green or that's just my mental image of what the ingredients would look like all blended together.
lahalbo

Postby WhiteH2OWoman on Fri May 18, 2007 10:10 am

I second BChandler's resounding endorsement of the Zone diet. It's how I eat, and I am a highly competitve athlete who's about to make a national team, despite being age 48 and having an artificial knee.

The biggies that kill me, in terms of gaining weight and low energy, are too much starches, too much sugar, and too much alcohol.

Here's an athlete's tip for getting better sleep and releasing more of your body's natural growth hormone (which burns fat and builds muscle, even in older folks, especially when you're asleep): right before you go to bed, drink 1 scoop of whey protein isolate protein powder in 4-6 ounces of plain water. Not milk, not juice...just plain water.
WhiteH2OWoman
Supporting Member

Postby WhiteH2OWoman on Fri May 18, 2007 10:12 am

Butterfly wrote:Hey, I was also wondering about using alternatives to sugar or artificial sweetners. I use stevia in my tea but I doubt it would work well in many recipes. Any other ideas? I used splenda before but I was trying to avoid it because I get so many headaches and I suspect the splenda might be one cause. Would agave nectar work on low carb? I know it has a lot of carbs but it is low on the glycemic index. What do you think?

Stevia is good, as is Xylitol since it promotes oral (teeth and mouth) health. Agave nectar is fine for low carb, and interestingly enough, is used at several Austin bars in "low carb margaritas."
WhiteH2OWoman
Supporting Member

Postby lahalbo on Fri May 18, 2007 10:18 am

WhiteH2OWoman wrote:Here's an athlete's tip for getting better sleep and releasing more of your body's natural growth hormone (which burns fat and builds muscle, even in older folks, especially when you're asleep): right before you go to bed, drink 1 scoop of whey protein isolate protein powder in 4-6 ounces of plain water. Not milk, not juice...just plain water.

Does that taste bad? Do you put stevia in it or anything?? I use "natural" whey protein and add my flavorings. Do you use flavored protein?

I make a breakfast shake out of powdered milk, whey protein, sweetner (Stevia most of the time) and cocoa powder. It's easy to transport if needed.

I need to visit the health food store and get some more stevia packages for my breakfast and yogurt (I also get the plain and fix it up myself).
lahalbo

Postby kids on Fri May 18, 2007 2:54 pm

one of my favorite "treats" is a bowl of frozen berries with 1-2 packets of splenda sprinkled on it, crushed nuts (almonds or pecans) and pour 1/2 and 1/2 on top of it. It's a low carb frozen treat :) very good tasting and good for you too.

Sister in Christ,
Nancy
kids

Postby Land Of Hope And Glory on Fri May 18, 2007 4:19 pm

Wouldn't the berries have a high fructose content?
Land Of Hope And Glory

Postby Salty Skipper on Fri May 18, 2007 7:37 pm

I believe on the Atkins diet, after 2 weeks, you can have strawberries. Protein Power allows for several low-sugar fruits I believe...peaches, berries, cantaloupe...if memory serves me right.
Salty Skipper

Postby Passion on Fri May 18, 2007 8:40 pm

There's another good thread (w/lots of good posts from bchandler! :wink:) along these lines:

http://fulfilledprophecy.com/bb/viewtop ... highlight=
"But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy. Though I fall I will rise; Though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me."

--Mica 7:7-8

Passion

Postby kids on Fri May 18, 2007 11:32 pm

Depends on the berries :mrgreen: I have raspberry/blueberry blend probably 1/2 of a cup so the sugar content isn't very high on the glycemic scale. This treat works for me and doesn't knock me out of ketosis. Each of our bodies is differnt and some bodies are much more sensitive when it comes to sugars. It does matters if you are in the weightloss phase or maintance phase. I'm maintaning my weight and this kind of a treat is healthy, good tasting and lower carb which is all good for me :mrgreen:

Sister in Christ,
Nancy
kids

Postby kloo on Sun May 20, 2007 1:42 am

Land Of Hope And Glory wrote:Oh crud

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be a mood inhibitor.

If your wife uses a BG meter she can verify for herself what hurts or helps her the the most.

I read Dr. Bernstein's book last year and got a lot out of it. You can check out the following website if you have a mind to.

http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/
In Jesus,

TerryC.
kloo

Postby Land Of Hope And Glory on Sun May 20, 2007 3:38 am

kloo wrote:
Land Of Hope And Glory wrote:Oh crud

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be a mood inhibitor.

If your wife uses a BG meter she can verify for herself what hurts or helps her the the most.

I read Dr. Bernstein's book last year and got a lot out of it. You can check out the following website if you have a mind to.

http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/

Thanks, I was only kidding. :grin:
Land Of Hope And Glory

Postby IamtheWalrus on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:23 pm

http://www.hacres.com

If you want to really be zealous :grin:

I am a chef and I whole heartedly agree with this direction.
Remember, carnivores have very short intestines. Vegetarians have very long intestines, like ourselves, and eating meat, since it has so may toxins in it, are extracted fully because of our long intestines. Cranivores get what they need from the meat and then extracts it out. Vegetarians need their long intestines to break down all the vitamins and minerals from raw foods.

Gen 1:29 ¶ And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

Gen 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein [there is] life, [I have given] every green herb for meat: and it was so.

We aren't supposed to eat the things we eat :grin:
Ken
Psa 40:1-3
I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, [and] established my goings.
And he hath put a new song in my mouth, [even] praise unto our God: many shall see [it], and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.
IamtheWalrus

Postby Passion on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:34 pm

But God later said that we could eat meat. He even basically ordered it in the OT.
"But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy. Though I fall I will rise; Though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me."

Passion

Postby daffodyllady on Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:38 pm

My son, who is 20, just lost 100 lbs over the last 14 months, by sticking to the Atkins diet. He feels wonderful now. He used to complain constantly about how tired he was, how he couldn't handle being on his feet all day at work...
Now, he comes home, runs into the house, changes and runs back out to the car to go play ball!

His asthma doesn't bother him nearly as much, either. Only rarely, and this is spring!
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby daffodyllady on Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:40 pm

Actually, all berries are allowed, as long as you watch the amount. Gluttony is still a sin, even on a diet!
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby bchandler on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:27 am

I wouldn't go so far as to say God ordered us to eat meat... but... after the flood, God did tell man that he would use certain kinds of animals for food.

Obviously something changed within our environment and it became necessary for man to use animal protein in his diet.

Today, we have gained much knowledge regarding human biochemistry, and it is possible to follow a healthy vegetarian diet without suffering from protein malnutrition as was common among vegetarians in the past.

I am not a vegetarian... I love salmon far to much to ever go totally vegan. But I agree that we can vastly reduce our intake of animal flesh proteins and exchange them for vegan, ovo, and lacto sources of protein.

The main issue with vegan sources is to have a good mix of both WHOLE grains, and legumes (beans).

The main issue with ovo (egg) and lacto (milk) sources is the quality of the food source and the quality of the feed given to the animals that produce the eggs and milk.

For milk products... raw, non-holstein, Jersey or Gurnsey sources are best, from free ranging grass fed cattle. Or your very own goat's milk if u can keep a goat... I find clover fed goats-milk tastes best... as the flavor of their feed tends to come through in their milk more than with cows.

For egg products, free range eggs from sources supplemented with good non-grain vegetable feeds are best.

In our modern world it is possible to live as a vegetarian, provided we maintain good quality, adequate protein sources.
Last edited by bchandler on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
bchandler

Postby bchandler on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:28 am

The main issue i have found with most vegetarian diets is they are way to heavy on grains, IMO
bchandler

Postby Lookfortruth on Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:50 am

bchandler, you have so much important information to share :banana: I love reading the thorough and informative things you have to tell us, we may really need to rely on it someday soon. I do not think it will be long before meat will not be an option for any of us. It seems between the health scares that continue to plague us, and the animal rights agenda's....well we may need to understand how to stay healthy without it. Thanks for the post! :grin:
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby stand4truth on Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:13 pm

I think that we should take care of our bodies the best we can. Try to find an exercise routine that works for you. The same with a diet. I like to change things up a bit. It is hard to know what is the right program. People will sell anything! :grin:
stand4truth

Postby Passion on Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:25 pm

bchandler wrote:Or your very own goat's milk if u can keep a goat... I find clover fed goats-milk tastes best... as the flavor of their feed tends to come through in their milk more than with cows.

Aha! That totally explains it! I suspected it had something to do with the feed, but I was also wondering if the breed of goat had anything to do with the taste of the milk. I don't remember if I've already posted this (it's been so long since I've been on this thread!), but I used to buy goat's milk from a store in a town 45 minutes from where I live, that was so good even I could almost drink it--and I hate milk! I do like it on cereal, and of course I cook with it, though. But my husband also thought it was the best tasting milk he'd ever had....until he found out it was goat milk. :roll: But the problem with buying it at that store was not only the long, expensive drive to get there, but once you get there you never know whether they'll have any--more often than not, they don't, because it comes from one tiny, local, dairy and they have a limited supply. It doesn't do much good to call ahead either, because it's so popular it'll probably be gone before you make the drive!

So I tried goat milk bought at a local big chain store, and it smelled like filthy gym socks that had been left in a moldy heap for a year.....unbelievably, I tried a tiny taste.....and nearly threw up.

Obviously they didn't feed their goats clover. But at least now I know to look for that on the label. :mrgreen:

Passion

Postby Lookfortruth on Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:14 am

:wavewelcome: Stand4Truth!
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby stand4truth on Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:22 am

Thank you :grin:
stand4truth

Postby Be still on Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:41 pm

A diet that works for me is called the God diet. If it doesn't fall off of a tree, grow out of the ground, walk on all fours, swim in the ocean/lake or have feathers, don't eat it. If God didn't make it, don't eat it. :mrgreen:

Because I think I'm carb sensitive (get puffy) I avoid anything white. No potatoes, rice, flour or sugar (unless I'm cheating.)
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby Passion on Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:03 pm

Sensible advice!

Can you eat brown rice, or whole grain bread? Or eat quinoa?

Passion

Postby Be still on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:14 pm

The lighter you go on the starches (carbs) the more weight you'll lose. I plan on eating the brown rice and whole grain bread as part of my maintenance plan. I'm laying off the sugary fruit for now and eating the not so sweet ones like apples and kiwi for now.
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby bchandler on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:04 pm

Be still,

As for fruits and vegies... the best approch IMO is to get as recently updated a copy of a Glycemic index food chart as you can find, and focus on the low GI foods.

You will be surprised at how many wonderful fruits and berries are actually low GI.

Basically the longer a foods GI, the longer it takes to process it's sugars... which lowers your insuline profile and automatically switches the body into fat burning mode.

most GI charts are set up so that the lower the number... the faster it enters your blood as sugar. The higher the GI number over 100, the slower it enters your blood as sugar. 100 is usually the representative number for either table sugar, or white bread... both of which are FAST sugars. White breads suggars in many cases enter your blood as fast or FASTER than if u ate the sugar right outa the bowl.
bchandler

Postby Be still on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:12 pm

Berries ... I forgot about berries Chandler. Thanks for the reminder.

If you have time, would you look for a good chart online and give me the link. I will look too but I wouldn't know a good one if I saw one.

As for now, I'm trying hard not to eat anything white.
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby Be still on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:19 pm

Chandler, one more thing ... what do you think about the Atkins diet?
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby bchandler on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:29 pm

Go back in the thread a bit Bestill.

We discussed atkins, zone, and south beach.

IMO atkins is an extreeme, Zone is ideal.

Atkins is a diet to help lose weight.

Zone nutrition is a life-long way of eating to stay in optimal health, and as a benefit you will also lose weight quickly.

Southbeach starts out atkins, then switches to zone for maintenence, and switches back to atkins when you hit plateus and slow down your weightloss while in the zone.

These plateus happen naturally, and even in zone nutrition... a slight increase in protein intake percentage is all that is required to overcome the plateu.

I highly recammend zone nutrition for it's sound science and medical value.
bchandler

Postby Be still on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:33 pm

Yes, I joined this thread a little late. I will go back and read. Thanks! :mrgreen:

And, I agree ... Atkins is extreme and the food is very limited. Also, I'm either very tired on it or have lots of energy.
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby Be still on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:57 pm

Nancy, do you have any more recipes?
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby Be still on Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:59 pm

lahalbo, your broccoli recipe was delicious! :mrgreen:
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby jln on Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:53 am

Have any of you found that you do better eating little during a day if you eat certain foods? I recently realized that I can be quite satisfied with not much to eat if I just have some unsweetened tea and maybe some peanut butter or something with garlic in it!!! (I have a recipe for a Greek yogurt dip with garlic, and that's what I like for the something with garlic.)

I also found that it's almost impossible for me to keep from eating much if I eat carbs early in the day or eat a lot of carbs the day before. Yet, I don't do well losing weight on a low-carb diet.

It's nice to learn some of these little cues that are peculiar to my body to help avoid things that used to trip me up when trying to lose weight, and I wonder if you guys have found some things like this.
jln

Postby jln on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:14 am

Just wondering~
Does anyone fast to lose weight and maintain weight loss? Done with God's direction, I find it much more effective FOR ME these days than any diet.
jln

Postby Passion on Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:23 pm

Be still wrote:lahalbo, your broccoli recipe was delicious! :mrgreen:

Where were these recipes? Maybe I'm blind, but I missed them.....

Which reminds me. Many times we talk about food/nutrition/recipes. I've often thought that, if the Mods wouldn't mind, it would be so cool to have a "Recipe" thread! If we wanted to get really crazy, we could even do it like the "Alphabet Game" thread; someone starts by saying "salads" for instance, then posts a recipe for say, avacado salad; then going there, each participant posts a recipe beginning with whatever letter is next. Then when we've reached Z, someone else can chime in and say "main dish" (or entree); or "dessert", or "vegetable dish" or whatever, and it goes all over again. Not only would this be fun, it would also be helpful for those of us who just can't think of what to fix for dinner tonight! And with the added bonus of being able to go to a particular category of food, rather than having to scroll through page after page after page of hundreds of recipes looking for one re., say, chicken!

Or we could just do a plain ole' recipe thread (although the more I think about it, the more I like thte game format.... :mrgreen: )

What do you guys think? :feedback:

Passion

Postby Be still on Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:49 pm

There's some good recipes on page 1 of this thread.
YSIC, Karen
Be still

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever (Almost)