Diets and health for Christians

Discussion not limited to prophecy.

Postby Lookfortruth on Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:57 pm

I know this is a weird question, and it seems this is the best place to ask it.

I am having terrible cravings for Dill pickles, I cannot eat enough. Am I missing something in my diet, or are there ingredients in dill pickles that detoxify (my liver disease), or anti-inflammatory properties. I have never craved dill pickles in my entire 49 yrs of life!

(no, I do not have a bun in the oven, the oven is gone) :lol:
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby Be still on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:01 pm

My father in law knows a woman who eats a giant jar of dill pickes every day and she's almost 100. :grin:
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby Lookfortruth on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:04 pm

Be still wrote:My father in law knows a woman who eats a giant jar of dill pickes every day and she's almost 100. :grin:

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I bet they were cheaper, but that is encouraging Be still! Thank you! :a2:
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby Passion on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm

My husband developed an intense craving for dill pickles about a year or so ago. He just can't get enough--and they have to be garlic dills! I hate it when he eats them right before bed, because all the tooth-brushing in the world can't get rid of that garlic /pickly smell! *smiley icon holding nose and screwing up eyes*

The salt worries me (or are they high in salt?), but I know that all that vinegar is excellent for the digestive tract, as yeast hates it!
"But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy. Though I fall I will rise; Though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me."

--Mica 7:7-8

Passion

Postby Lookfortruth on Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:30 pm

but I know that all that vinegar is excellent for the digestive tract, as yeast hates it!

Maybe that is it! I seem to be craving Vlasic Kosher dills, the crunchier the better!
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby bchandler on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:08 pm

lookingfortruth,

I'm not sure what craving dill pickles would indicate... but... let me encourage you to do some research on:

Foods that Chelate (pronounced key-late)

Chelating foods are often very good liver cleansers also.

For liver health I would recommend the following juice formula:

Parsley (1 bunch)
Celery (about 4 ounces)
Carrot (about 4 ounces)
Beet (about 4 ounces)
Beet greens (whatever the greens from your beets will make)
Apple Juice (as much as it takes to make the juice palatable for you.)

I started out with quite a lot of apple juice... but.. as i gained more appreciation for this juice i now add none.. I find the beets and carrots are plenty sweet enough for me.

Also... I started with 1/2 bunch of parsley and worked my way up to a whole bunch. It isn't offensive tasting... but some people can experience diareha from too much at the start.

Just 1 word of warning... the first time you sit down to go to the bathroom after drinking this stuff, DO NOT PANIC... you are not bleeding... it's just color from the beet juice...rofl!
Last edited by bchandler on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bchandler

Postby Lookfortruth on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:16 pm

Just 1 word of warning... the first time you sit down to go to the bathroom after drinking this stuff, DO NOT PANIC... you are not bleeding... it's just color from the beet juice...rofl!

Thanks for the warning!!! :lol:
I love carrots and beets! I sure appreciate your information. :hugs:
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby bchandler on Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:10 pm

Be Still,

To answer your question regarding a GI chart... I'll go u one beter... a GI database.

Found at:

www.glycemicindex.com

You will find some zone nutrition bars on the list.. .notice almost all are below a GI of 20... meaning their sugars take about 5 times longer to absorb than regular sugar.

You can look up specific food types, as well as foods with specific GI values.
bchandler

Postby Be still on Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:12 pm

Thank you so much Chandler!!
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby mommyjen on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:29 pm

Hi Bchandler! When I give my daughter fresh juiced apple juice and carrot juice, she has a huge increase in her thirst. Not particualarly for the juice as I only do one glass of that a day. But she will just go on a drinking binge. When I am not giving her the fresh juice her fluid intake is normal for her age- almost 3. Do you have any idea of what that might indicate? You seem to be pretty knowlegable in the health dept so I was hoping for a little light to be shined on the situation! Thanks!
mommyjen

Postby Be still on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:32 pm

It's MommyJen! Congratulations on your new baby ... any pics posted yet?
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby bchandler on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:37 pm

Is her thirst accompanied by excessive urination or heavy breathing/hyperventilation?
bchandler

Postby mommyjen on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:39 pm

Not heavy breathing or hyperventilation but she does ***** a lot more! Seems to be relative to the amount she is drinking though. I am so glad you are on!

ETA: Oh my! I got bleeped out! I shound have said urinated! I promise it isn't a cuss word I used!! I said P. But with two e's on the end!
Last edited by mommyjen on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mommyjen

Postby mommyjen on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:43 pm

Be still wrote:It's MommyJen! Congratulations on your new baby ... any pics posted yet?

Thanks :) Pic right here: http://fulfilledprophecy.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=30428&highlight=
mommyjen

Postby bchandler on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:50 pm

OK, Mommyjen,

I do not want to alarm you... but I think you should discuss this with your doctor.

What you are describing sounds to me like it could be the onset of juvenile diabetes.

When my daughter had this onset we noticed that any time she consumed sweet things, whether it was juice or whatever... she would just soak diapersleft and right.

However... b4 u panic...

Does she urinate a lot any time she consumes things with lots of sugar? Not just juice.

Was she a large baby (over 8 pounds at birth?)
Last edited by bchandler on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bchandler

Postby bchandler on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:51 pm

Also has she recently received the DPT series of vaccinations?
bchandler

Postby mommyjen on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:55 pm

Actually she doesn't get excessively thirst if it is just juice from the bottle which we typically water down, but she will have consumed about two glasses of juice on a daily basis with just the normal bottle juice with no increase in her thirst. It is just when she gets fresh juiced juice, that she has this increase in thirst. She was 6lb 12oz at birth and we haven't done any vaccinations. She does have autism which is why I am trying to give her the best things for her health. She really gets nothing sweet aside from the juice. She eats pureed stew and baby cereal plus almond milk. She has eating issues.
mommyjen

Postby mommyjen on Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:59 pm

When I told the doc about her increased thirst, he just brushed it off saying it was because of her limited solid food intake? I don't think what he said was right because of the differences I described in my last post.
mommyjen

Postby bchandler on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:19 pm

OK, I am a little less worried now...

Whew.

Fresh natural juices will contain more active enzymes and active chelating agents. (pronounced key-late)

Chela comes from the greek wor for "claw". Vitamin C is an awesome natural chelator.

Our livers.. about 6000 years ago, still made it's own vitamin c, but that is a capacity we have lost. (interesting that this loss seems to be sometime between the fall of man and Noah's flood)

Chelating agents serve 2 functions:

1. They deliver nutrients to the cell receptors pretty efficiently. The molecular claw latches onto cell receptors and triggers the cell to open, allowing the nutrients (usually minerals) carried by the chelating agent into the cell.

2. Chelating agents that are empty, are electrically charge in a way that they are very "hungry"... and will latch onto any minerals they can find. They are very good at carrying meta-static mineral deposits out of the body. Kind of like natural "draino" for your arterial system.

There are many, including ACAM who believe that chelation therapy, such as with IV EDTA or vitamin C, is a much better performing, and lower risk solution to diabetic circulatory issues, and cardiovascular/arterial blockages.

In Germany EDTA chelation is the primary method of treatment of diabetic ulcers.

In the USA there are still nearly 200 thousand unnecessary diabetic amputations every year... IMO

US medicine considers chelation therapy an experimental form of treatment... even though it is safe enough to treat babies and young children for snake bite and heavy metal poisoning. It isn't considered safe enough by main stream medicine to treat arterio schlerosis... (arterial plaques, whose primary binding agent is the METAL calcium)

OK... end of history lesson...

Why would chelating agents make your daughter more thirsty? Possibly because the way chelating agents work, is that they latch on to and carry minerals out of the body through the kidneys. In other words, they can cause excessive urination.

It is highly unusual for girls to be autistic, but there are many who believe that autism is the result of heavy metal poisoning... usually by inorganic mercury compounds... that were introduced through vaccines, dental work, or other means.

In cases where this is true... chelation therapy seems to help.

Still others believe that there are metabolic issues that result in the accumulation of toxic metals in the body and brain, resulting in autism.. and again.. naturally chelating foods and chelation therapy seem to be helping many.

You can run a google search on +autism +chelat, and you will find a lot of resources and information. But be aware that this is anything but mainstream medicine.
bchandler

Postby Be still on Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:47 pm

She's a big one Jen ... Loved the picture! Thanks for sharing :mrgreen:
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Blood Pressure Control

Postby kloo on Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:12 am

I would love some input from those who have had indisputable results in bringing their blood pressure down.

I have had tremendous success with my weight and physical conditioning since my stroke last year. I am on (2 drugs) for my blood pressure and and have an on-going lower-carb diet but lately my BP has been edging up and I don't want any more meds. I am looking for supplements and/or specific foods that experience has shown to be effective. I caanot afford the price of some of the supplement regimens and I don't believe God wants me to become obsessed with it all.
In Jesus,

TerryC.
kloo

Postby bchandler on Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:18 am

Kloo,

High BP is another symptom of the condition known as metabolic syndrom-x.

I also along with diabetes have had high BP and cholesterol.

I have been able to normalize my blood sugars, BP and cholesterol levels by following zone nutrition, and doing the following:

1. Eliminate all processed flours and sugars from my diet.(they are pure poison.)

2. Use only fresh whole grain breads (I like ezekiel bread found in the freezer section of your store)

3. Eliminate all hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. (trans-fats)

4. Use only good, nutritive oils such as extra-virgin olive, peanut, macadamia, flax seed... (if it can sit out of the fridge in a clear bottle and not go rancid it is not good for u. If bacteria wont eat it... neither should u!)

5. Use a good omega 3 supplement. (The combination of EPA and DHA should be = or > 50% of the dosage.)

6. Use a good b-complex liquid vitamin. (niacin, which is a b vitamin is an excellent vaso-dialator and can lower BP)

Most doctor's don't want ppl to take niacin... I recently had an opportunity to speak to a doc about why... the only reason he could give was that some people experience uncomfortable skin flushes when taking niacin.

Frankly, if this is the only reason the doc's can come up with.... IMO anyone with a bp problem should be taking niacin. If you experience skin flushes, just back off the dosage until you build a tolerance for it.

Making the appropriate dietary changes to control, and lower your insuline profile WILL switch your cellular metabolism out of stress mode. It WILL eventually turn off the the chemical signals telling your liver to make more cholesterol. It WILL cause you to lose weight. It WILL help your cells repair themselves with good nutritive fats for building healthy cells and nutrient receptors.

IMO...

Of course as always... I am not a doctor...

For a doctor's opinion... read doctor Barry Sears books:

Entering The Zone.
The Omega Rx Zone.
bchandler

Postby mommyjen on Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:42 am

Thanks Bchandler for the info!! I have definitely looked into chelation for my girl. I wanted to do things as natural as possible so I am using a couple of supplements from bioray right now. The Liver life has brought about great changes in her and we are just starting some NDF plus. Just started that today but that is the slow chelator. Thanks again!
mommyjen

Postby Spreading Salt on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:07 am

BC Chandler,

When you mix the chelating cocktail above, do you pre cook any of it to soften it in the mixer or are you putting it raw through a juicer? I have both and sadly, they sit in their boxes in my hall closet! :( I know I should really research juicing recipes and add at least one to my regular routine. I am terrible about popping pills although I buy them with every intention of taking them "someday".
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby daffodyllady on Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:36 pm

I am on it for real! Yessss. I have stuck with the diet for almost a week, and am beginning to feel and see results!

I am doing what my son did to lose 100 lbs. Basicly Atkins. But you have to be careful not to overdo it on the fatty meats, and also make sure you get enough veggies. Dr Atkins says that in his book.

I think people have been scared off Atkins by reading about phase one, and not reading the whole book. Also Dr Atkins was a little too much of a power salesman to make me entirely comfortable with his approach. And he was into selling all kinds of supplements, which I have tremendous sales resistance to.

Anyhow, I found out that I am simply too sensitive to most carbs to eat them. Since I cut out all the sweets and starches, and began to load up on salads and meats, I am feeling like a million bucks. Must be that old beneficial ketosis I heard so much about. Now I understand why my son used to go around jumping to hit the ceiling. The energy I am feeling is unreal!

I feel littler all over. :grin:
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby Be still on Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:44 pm

Congratulations Daffodyllady !

4. Use only good, nutritive oils such as extra-virgin olive, peanut, macadamia, flax seed... (if it can sit out of the fridge in a clear bottle and not go rancid it is not good for u. If bacteria wont eat it... neither should u!)

Oilive oil can do that ... is it the clear bottle that makes the difference :dunno:
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby bchandler on Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:35 pm

It's not the clear bottle... good wholesome oil is usually sensitive to heat air and light... all of which help fuel bacterial ranciding.

If it wont go bad when left unrefrigerated... it has probably been heat processed, which means it isn't as good for u.

Yes olive oil is sold mostly that way... and it can be a bit of an exception... but... good cold pressed extra virgin olive oil will still go bad... and is usually sold in gallon tins rather than bottles.

Flax is especially sensitive, and can go rancid in 30 min under the right conditions...

As for the juice recipies.. i always use only raw veggies.. never cooked.

You may wish to use a mild salt bath or veggie wash to ensure u remove any pesticides first if u dont buy organic.
bchandler

Postby Be still on Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:42 pm

I'd love to spend a day with you Chandler ... I'd be a sponge ... info, info, info. :mrgreen:
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby bchandler on Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:53 pm

seriously... most of what I learned, I learned studying Dr. sears zone nutrition program, cause it is the only program I have ever seen that makes sound science sense, as well as dietary sense.

Atkins can be goos to kick start u when u plateu... but I think zone offers a more balanced and realistic approach to life... and health... and healthy, sustainable weight loss.

After understanding zone nutrition, a lot of other things just kinda snap into place.

In researching anti-viral therapies i found info on blood electrification and elctromagnetic pulsers. Which I really hope lookingfortruth is concidering. as it is probably the only chance outside of God's healing mercy of really getting rid of a virus like hep-c.

I also found some interesting info through young-living essential oils. Though I would caution... when dealing with alternative medicine... allways keep your new-age detector tuned to full-alert...lol

I have very bad teeth.. .because of the diabetes... and I use oil of thieves to keep mouth bacteria under control... extremely powerful stuff..

One of the really nice things about zone nutrition, is that falling off my diet wagon isn't a big deal... as re-entry to the zone is just my next meal or snack away. So I don't feel so guilty about the occassional splurge.

But Zone nutrition really helped me peice together why the things that are good for us are good for us, and why the bad things are bad, and why some things that used to be good have become bad.

When you build on the sound and solid foundation of lipid(fat) science, and how insuline affects lipid metabolism... everything suddenly makes a lot more sense.
bchandler

Postby Be still on Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:58 pm

You are a wealth of nutritional knowledge! Thank you :mrgreen:
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby bchandler on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:06 pm

BTW, Passion,

I really wouldn't worry about the salt intake for your husband.

Recent studies have shown that stressing out over how much salt is in your food is acctually worse for your BP than just eating the stinkin salt...lol

If you are worried about BP, there are much better things to worry about besides salt intake IMO.
bchandler

Postby kloo on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:21 am

bchandler wrote:
> I also along with diabetes have had high BP and cholesterol.

I have type 2 diabetes and my blood glucose is well controlled with my diet and exercise.

I have been able to normalize my blood sugars, BP and cholesterol levels by following zone nutrition, and doing the following:

2. Use only fresh whole grain breads (I like ezekiel bread found in the freezer section of your store)

3. Eliminate all hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. (trans-fats)

I have pretty much eliminated trans-fats.

I currently only use olive oil (virgin cold-pressed if I can)

5. Use a good omega 3 supplement. (The combination of EPA and DHA should be = or > 50% of the dosage.)

I do this when possible but I do eat a fair bit of the appropriate fish.

6. Use a good b-complex liquid vitamin. (niacin, which is a b vitamin is an excellent vaso-dialator and can lower BP)

I'll look into this

Of course as always... I am not a doctor...

Neither are some doctors :grin:
In Jesus,

TerryC.
kloo

Postby Passion on Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:10 pm

bchandler wrote:BTW, Passion,

I really wouldn't worry about the salt intake for your husband.

Recent studies have shown that stressing out over how much salt is in your food is acctually worse for your BP than just eating the stinkin salt...lol

If you are worried about BP, there are much better things to worry about besides salt intake IMO.

I've read that naturally dried sea salt isn't bad for you at all, because it's dried in the sun and not chemically. And the chemical process of drying the cheaper, brand-name salt is what makes it bad. So I was just thinking that in a jar of pickles, they're sure as heck not going to be using the good, more expensive salt!

He also found out his cholesterol was high, and I'm trying to get him to cut out the Burger King/McDonald's stuff....his dr. gave him a scrip for a cholesterol-lowering med, and I've convinced him not to take it--to try something natural like red yeast rice or polycosanol. He agreed--now if he could just get off the horrible bp drugs--his dr.s' got him on two, plus hydroclorothyzide (sp.?). I think he's nuts. I've tried to convince hubby to go to a Naturopath, but he just says "it's too expensive". :(

BTW, bchandler, have you ever thought about going to school and becoming a Naturopath? You'd be awesome!
"But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy. Though I fall I will rise; Though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me."

Passion

Postby Be still on Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:28 pm

Does anyone have any expierience with the Zone approach to weightloss?
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby bchandler on Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:32 pm

Be Still,

I am currently down to 236... fom a high of 315 about a year ago... and I am not even following zone that strictly... I try to follow as best i can... but haven't really done a lot besides replacing fast carbs with slow carbs, and trying t balance out my carbs with more protien and good fats.

When I was following zone really strictly:

I was always full.

Could hardly eat all the food i was supposed to eat.

and was losing nearly 2 pounds per week.

Currently I am losing between 0.5 and 1 pound per week.

Unfortunately, women will lose weight more slowly than men. Most women don't lose fat faster than about 1 pound per week.

Whitewaterwoman is also a proponent of zone nutrition... which is very big among highly competitive and olympic class athletes.

If i remember correctly, Dr. Sears is a nutritional conslutant to more than one olympic team.
bchandler

Postby Be still on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:44 am

Is there a difference between the Atkins plan and the Zone plan?
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby daffodyllady on Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:13 am

Well.... I went to the DR yesterday. She confirmed that I am a type 2 Diabetic. ARGGGH!

BUT... the good news is that I have lost 5 lbs this week on Atkins. I know some of it is water loss. But that is good, because I was retaining fluid quite a bit. Atkins simply reduces the need for water to be held as much in the cells.

But hey, I'm 2" littler around the waist! And the hands feel not puffy at all. Which is wonderful!

She said that I am controlling the diabetes well by sticking to the Atkins Diet. And I have much more energy, which makes me able to walk a mile a day. Which I have been doing.

If I can lose one lb a week for a year, I will be down 50 lbs by the end of next summer. Goal.
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby daffodyllady on Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:16 am

Yep. Atkins counts carbohydrates, and allows unlimited protein.
Zone looks for balance. And allows lots more carbs. Less protein.

I am a blood type O-. I don't know if that has anything to do with why Atkins works better for me than Zone does. Hey, different strokes for different folks!
Daffodyllady
daffodyllady

Postby Passion on Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:29 am

It might. I used to have a fascinating book called "The Blood Type Diet"--can't remember the author. But it talked about different blood types needing different types of food, and how some should not eat certain types. For instance the dr. who wrote it was saying something about Asians, and how they tolerate high-carb diets much better than a lot of people--even thrive on them. He claimed that it was because most Asians have a certain blood type, I forgot what. But those of us who are type O are mostly of European descent, and feel terrible when we try eating one of those high carb, low fat diets. I know, because back in the early '90's the "conventional wisdom" was you needed to cut out pretty much all fat, and eat lots of carbs because, as they said *smarmy mimicky voice* "Carbs are the body's most important fuel, and don't contain fat!" :blahblah: After eating this way for awhile in a failed attempt to lose weight, I actually developed mild hypoglycemia! And the dumb dr. who diagnosed it didn't help either, by telling me I should carry sweets with me wherever I went. I didn't know anything really about hypoglycemia/diabetes then, but I just knew that was wrong. But I didn't know what else to do.

Well, thank God, I ended up mentioning this to my chiropractor, who about had a heart attack when he heard what the dr. had said, and told me to simply eat more lean protein. Then as if to confirm that, a week or so later I happened to be talking about it to a woman at a health food store, who turned out to be a nurse, and she told me the same thing. I added more protein back into my diet and have never had a problem since--and that was in '96.

Passion

Postby Be still on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:05 pm

The reason you lose lots of water weight by cutting carbs (which is sugar) is that sugar holds a lot of water. I'm sure Chandler will explain. :grin:
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby bchandler on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:24 pm

You got me there Be Still. I know sugars like alcohols are basically long hydro-carbon chains. The extra hydrogen eventually breaks down to water if this is what you are refering to.

BeStill, regardless of which diet you pursue... I would highly recommend you read Dr. Sears books:

Entering the Zone

The Omega Rx Zone

regardless of his secular stance... I really believe that once you understand the basics of lipid science you will be better off for the rest of your life.

You may need to adjust your protien percentages higher or lower for your body/blood type... but that's the beauty of Zone nutrition... It is flexible and customizable to your individual needs.
bchandler

Postby DALLAS on Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:57 pm

Xxx
Last edited by DALLAS on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DALLAS

Postby Be still on Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:14 pm

Chander, here is what I was trying to say ... someone else wrote this.

The storage form of glucose in muscles and the liver is glycogen which also holds water. If you limit your calories, and in particular go low carb, you'll use up a lot of your glycogen which releases its bound water to be excreted, thus dropping your weight fast than you're dropping fat. Once you top off your glycogen stores by eating a lot of carbs, the water will return and your weight will go back up. I don't think this accounts for all the water-weight loss, though, because glycogen stores are maybe 1 pound total and carry another 2-3 pounds of water with it.

Your initial weight loss (some percentage) is glucose (or glycogen). Basically sugar thats been stored in your liver (mainly) and around your body in your muscles. When you burning calories (eating less/exercising more/both), you body thinks you're starving and uses the sugars first. It's easier and more available.

The thing about sugars is that you can't just store them in your cells as sugar crystals. You have to store them in solution -- aka with water. So when you gain/lose that sugar you gain/lose the water that goes along with it.
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby bchandler on Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:56 pm

Makes sense.... thanks for that... This explains why the initial weight loss can be more, but then it slows down to between 1-1.5 pounds per week.

In general the human body only stores about 24 hours worth of glycogen in the muscles and liver. So burning that off doesn't take very long either.
bchandler

Postby Be still on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:45 pm

New recipe, yum!

Roasted Cabbage with Bacon
Makes 6 wedges, serving 4-6 people.

2 lb. head of green cabbage
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
4 oz. good quality slab bacon, diced into 1/4-inch cubes
coarse sea salt
red wine vinegar or lemon wedges
Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Trim the stem of the cabbage and remove one layer of the outer leaves. Cut the cabbage in half, and cut each half into three even wedges. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with the oil and place the cabbage wedges 1-inch apart on the sheet. Scatter the bacon over the cabbage.

Roast the cabbage for 20-30 minutes until richly browned on the bottom. Turn the wedges over and roast for 20-30 minutes longer until the bottom is richly browned again. Remove any dried outer leaves. Sprinkle with the coarse salt and serve with vinegar or lemon wedges.
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby daffodyllady on Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:54 am

Salty Skipper wrote:Speaking of carbs...has anybody here ever had a reaction to rice that wasn't white rice? It seems that when I try to eat the "healthy" forms of rice (brown rice or wild rice) they really make me feel bad. I feel almost like I'm having a mild asthma like attack. It took me eating it about 3 times to figure this out. At first, I thought it was just a fluke. White rice doesn't seem to bother me, nor does flour.

Anyway, I would love if we could have a thread to help keep us all encouraged. Right now, I'm trying to do a lower sugar plan and exercise too. I may go back on full-fledged low carb very soon to peel some more of this weight off.

skipper, I can identify! It seems that whenever I eat the germ, or the bran of any grain, my innards will protest mightily. The starchy portion, which of course has very little nutrition, is all I can handle of grains. So, it really is a no-brainer, I guess. Skip 'em all.

I have read that the lectins in grains can be a real problem for some people. They can aggultinate (clump) the blood, or may even travel to joints and mimic symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. (I found that eliminating grains from my diet REALLY made the joints in my hands feel better.)

Also, some people are very sensitive to mold spores (aflatoxins) that grains can pick up in storage. This can produce some really serious responses in sensitive individuals. Of course, the USDA does monitor for levels of aflatoxins, but extremely low levels slip past.

So, your body just might be sending you a message; "No bread, please."
Daffodyllady
daffodyllady

Postby daffodyllady on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:20 pm

whoooeeee! 10 lbs off finally!

I have loose skin where I never thought about getting it. My arms flop underneith. LOL

And my energy level is great!

Thank You, Jesus!
Daffodyllady
daffodyllady

Postby Be still on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:55 pm

:praise:
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby Passion on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:06 pm

:banana: Good for you, and thank You, Lord!

Finally, after MANY years (excluding a couple of months there when I first tried the third thyroid med I was put on--but then the weight came back), I have finally dropped about 7 lbs.! This is a true miracle, because as I've said before, for years I have worked out 'til I was blue in the face, tried pretty much every diet out there (including good old sensible eating), and only gained weight, thanks mostly to my thyroid. But I was never able to take much thyroid meds because of my tachycardia, which my doc wanted me to get under control with magnesium. But my, uh, digestive system hated magnesium, and let's just say I never absorbed any! Finally about a year or so ago I found a form that I could tolerate--the citrate form, which incidently is one of the most absorbable forms. So I've been taking four 1000 mg. caps of cal/mag a day, and after a long time I've been able to go from 1/2 a thyroid pill to 3/4. It really stunk that I was only able to to take 1/2 of one, since the original scrip was for a whole one--and that was the weakest dosage they make! So it probably wasn't doing me much good.

Plus I've been alternating between taking cinnamon and cinnamon extract before meals for blood sugar control (I'm not diabetic but suspect perhaps Metabolic Syndrome), and my doc found that my estrogen dosage was too high, which will make you gain or at least not lose; so she lowered that--and I've dropped a whole size! PRAISE GOD!!!

I'm not on a "diet" per se; I just try to follow a basic "Mediterranean" way of eating....meaning whole grains, fruits and veggies (admittedly, not enough of these!), lean meat, nuts, olive oil, a little red wine, etc. I don't eat a lot of fish which is o.k. because of the mercury and the fact that I do take a lot of good-quality fish oil with no mercury. I also use organic, virgin coconut oil, which has gotten a bad rap but is actually quite healthy if you get the good stuff.

This does not mean I don't eat "bad" things like cookies, french fries, or a nice fatty ribeye or fried chicken (yep, skin and all!)--I do--just not very often and when I do, small portions. In fact, small portions of anything even remotely fattening, which is not hard because I usually eat like a bird anyway (although you'd never know it to look at me! :roll: ).

Passion

Postby Be still on Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:50 pm

I usually eat like a bird anyway (although you'd never know it to look at me! ).

I have birds ... they eat A LOT!
YSIC, Karen
Be still

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever (Almost)