Diets and health for Christians

Discussion not limited to prophecy.

Postby kazbo on Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:53 pm

whoooeeee! 10 lbs off finally!

I have loose skin where I never thought about getting it. My arms flop underneith. LOL

And my energy level is great!

:banana: :banana: :banana:
kazbo

Postby Be still on Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:20 am

I went back on the program today.

My problem is that I crave potatoes and noodles.
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby bchandler on Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:47 pm

be still,

You need to find the longest acting carbs possible to fulfill those carb cravings...

You will find that replacing short sugars with long sugars will also reduce or eliminate cycle related mood swings also...

Any of the Zone based nutrition bars can be a good snack when the carb cravings hit... without taking you out of fat burning mode... even if they do take you out of ketosis for a brief time...
bchandler

Postby Be still on Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:10 am

Thanks for the suggestion Chandler. I'm going to pick up some Atkins bars.

I read once where Atkins said that if you insist on breaking the diet and have to eat a plate of potatoes or noodles to do it within one hour. He said that you won't lose any weight that day but you won't gain any either. I wish I'd never read that.
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby daffodyllady on Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:37 pm

I just wanted to share something today.

This morning, I went to help an elderly lady take a bath. She weighs 280 lbs, and stands 5'3" tall.

Yes. She was morbidly obese. Her heart is unable to keep up. She is very intelligent, has a beautiful home, a loving husband, and children and a grandchild, who all love her. But her fat is killing her.

It was SO hard to take care of her! To reach around her and wash every crevase and fold of her volumious skin! To deal with the skin breakdown where it gets no air! She has open sores in there.

Ok, the reason this hit me hard, is because I am 5' 2", and used to weigh 285 lbs.

I DONT WANT TO END UP LIKE THAT!
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

Postby Be still on Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:47 pm

Did you tell her about the no carb thing? You can still eat a lot.
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby Blessings2U on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:12 pm

I was reading a book over at my mom's. I don't remember the name...I think it was called the Natural Cures They Don't want you to know about. There was a website Naturalcures.com

He was talking about if your body has a yeast overgrowth you won't be able to loose weight and he talked about doing a cadida cleanse.

does anyone know if there is any truth to what this guy was talking about.

I am so excited to FINALLY find this thread. I have type II that is NOT under control yet. Also would like to bring my cholesterol down.

I gave up sodas and ate sensibly and lost 25 pounds in about 4 months with little to no exercise. I know I need to get up and move and I think I will check out that Dr Sears book!

thanks for the recipes too! The person that was Somersizing....have you tried the "candied" tomatoes? YUM!!!!!
Blessings2U

Postby bchandler on Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:51 am

Candida is a serious problem... It can have debillitating effects on people.

A candida cleanse is always a good idea after a course of anti-biotics.. as is taking a good pro-biotic supplement to restore the good bacteria populations that the anti-biotics killed off along with the bad.
bchandler

Postby First Love on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:04 pm

I started reading this thread and saw it was in May last year, nearly a year old...but it seems to still be alive somewhat...

I have enjoyed gleeming the information here and I am going to look for the Zone Book and see if I can shed some pounds. I have tried them all and nothing works for long...because I always looked at it as a diet and not a life change..I am going to try a new mind set this time and see what happens.

How are you all doing? I also have type 2 diabetics. Wish we all lived close so we could be neighbors.
First Love

Postby SueAnn on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:18 pm

I did Atkins for 6 entire months. I gave up everything I loved and I never cheated.

I lost 7 crummy pounds.

My doc explained that it was because my thyroid is dead and Atkins does not work because of it. Being on synthetic hormone does not help with Atkins.
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Postby Be still on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:24 pm

My problem is that the few carbs I eat add up fast. I try to stay under 20.
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby Salty Skipper on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:30 pm

I've had limited success with low carb in the past, but have found that after a short time (6 to 8 weeks) of following strict low carb, I start to feel sort of depressed. Evidently, it can affect seratonin if you are a bit low on it. I can lose slowly eating "good" carbs. Still trying and won't ever give up. :grin: Struggling now with eating only when I'm truly hungry. I tend to eat to calm myself down when I'm anxious or when I'm just plain bored. I'm trying to remedy the boredom by keeping all of the laundry done and the house tidy. We have our home up for sale, so I have a little bit of incentive. :wink:
Salty Skipper

Postby Salty Skipper on Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:34 pm

SueAnn wrote:I did Atkins for 6 entire months. I gave up everything I loved and I never cheated.

I lost 7 crummy pounds.

My doc explained that it was because my thyroid is dead and Atkins does not work because of it. Being on synthetic hormone does not help with Atkins.

Sue-Ann, have you ever tried an eating plan where you ate 5 or 6 tiny meals a day? I've heard that sort of plan can help when your thyroid doesn't work properly and for people who have had their thyroid removed due to illness. fwiw.

I've been suspecting that I have low thyroid because of some strange health symptoms I've had over the past 2 years. I'm finally going this week to get it checked out. I've been putting it off forever and have only been to the doctor once in the past 4 years and that was for the flu. At least that way I'll know for sure and won't have to wonder any more.
Salty Skipper

Postby Be still on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:06 pm

Struggling now with eating only when I'm truly hungry.

That's hard for me to do with a family. They eat on a schedule and I'm the cook.

I've been suspecting that I have low thyroid because of some strange health symptoms I've had

What are your symptoms Salty?
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby Salty Skipper on Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:25 am

Be still wrote:
Struggling now with eating only when I'm truly hungry.

That's hard for me to do with a family. They eat on a schedule and I'm the cook.

That's understandable. :grin:

Be still wrote:
I've been suspecting that I have low thyroid because of some strange health symptoms I've had

What are your symptoms Salty?

Well, there are quite a few, most of which come and go over time. If there hadn't been so many, I would have just chalked it up to just getting older or something. The one that has me worried and convinced me to get an appointment is having a low resting heart rate (less than 60 beats a minute). It's normal for someone who is in extremely good shape to have a low heart rate at rest...say a marathon runner...but not someone like me. I'm not in terrible shape cardiovascularly, but definately not the best. My resting heart rate is sometimes as low as 53-54 beats/minute. It should be over 60.

I discovered this by accident when trying to figure out why I had such a horrendous case of vertigo a few weeks back. I searched the causes of vertigo because it was so bad, the first day I couldn't lift my head off the pillow without coming close to being sick. Evidently a resting heart rate that is too low can cause vertigo. Not saying for certain that is what caused my vertigo, as I have previously thought it was mostly connected to having sinus problems. That may still be the cause, but it's one of the long list of things I'm going to ask the doctor about.

My hair is thinning at the crown. My hair has also changed textures. At first I thought it was just the grey hair that was changing as grey hair is practically always different from hair that retains it's color; but it's my entire head. Lol. My hair has gone from being almost stick straight to being much more coarse. That symptom is kind of nice actually (the texture change, not the thinning). :lol:

My skin has been so, so dry the past six months or so; drier than ever in my entire life. So dry it's scaly despite using proper care.

Extreme decrease in energy and increased need for sleep. This has recently gotten better, but it's frustrating when you have things you need to do and want to do, but simply don't have the energy to do. I haven't had that problem since I was in high school and had mono.

In 2000, I had a brief, rapid weight gain and have been struggling ever since to get my weight down. Over the last 4 years, I've managed to lose about 30 pounds but it's been like pulling teeth to lose it. Before that weight gain, I wasn't particularly small, but when I cut back on calories and exercised, I could lose weight no problem. Not any more...it's an extreme struggle. It's been so hard that many, many times I've wanted to throw in the towel and quit trying to lose it. However, since I want to have kids some day, I keep on trying because I want to be a healthy weight first.

That's another thing that prompted me to get an appt...wanting to know before we try to start a family. Thyroid problems can cause all sorts of problems in that arena, evidently. I've had some evidence of that with disturbed cycles and such.

There are a few other things too including dry eyes and wierd pains near the salivary gland area (hasn't happened in quite a while), but like I said...all of these come and go, and any one of them could be chalked up to just getting older, or just 'whatever.' The low heart rate and the desire for peace of mind is what prompted me to take action. Maybe there isn't anything wrong at all and it is just about getting older. :lol: But, if it's not, at least the doctor can let me know and maybe have a plan of action that will make a difference. I'll let you guys know how it goes. :grin:
Salty Skipper

Postby bchandler on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:15 am

Low thyroid is also usually accompanied by a ringing in the ears... usually multiple tones at once.

There are other things that can cause the symptoms you describe... and can mimic thyroid insufficiency.

Adrenal insufficiency (also known as Addison's) can affect the entire metabolism, including the thyroid.

People with borderline, and fluctuating Adrenal insufficiency can experience:

Fluctuating but generally low blood pressure.

Low to non-existent sex drive

Dehydration

Vertigo

Extremely dry skin and hair

A loss of sodium (salt) but have no craving for salt.

Low heart rate

Vitiligo (sp?) ( loss of pigmentation in patches of skin)

Hyper pigmentation (patches of skin that have more pigmentation than usual... especially around the elbows, knees, and buttocks.. as well as a facial mask where the skin of the face is ever so slightly darker than other skin, with a clearly visible border where pigmentation changes)

All the symptoms of hypo-thyroidism because it is low due to adrenal insufficiency.

I believe my wife suffers from this condition... and it can be fatal if untreated. Due to the loss of mineral salts.. especially sodium... and i believe it elevates potassium... which can simply cause the heart to stop beating.

Problem is... every time she has had an episode... they have pumped about 2 litres of normal saline into her before they do blood work... because she is dehydrated... which eschews the test results.

Plus.. I think she is just barely Adrenal sufficient and has episodes where she drops into being just barely insufficient... Just enough to cause her problems... but not enough to get picked up by doctors.

Here is a simple test to see if you are dehydrated...

Pinch up the skin on the back of your hand with thumb and fore finger, and lift as high as u can without causing yourself undue pain... and release.

Watch how the skin springs back when you release it... is it just snaps right back you probably are not dehydrated... but if you notice a slower return to normal... what is referred to as 'tenting'... it is possible you are dehydrated and should probably increase your fluid and electrolyte intake.

If you are concerned about your low heart rate... you should probably avoid foods rich in potassium... like bananas... until you get checked out.

With regard to low carb diets... I have seen several comments that lead me to believe that people perceive the Zone nutrition program is a low carb diet. It isn't,,, and I need to correct that perception.

Zone nutrition is basically this...

1. It recognizes that the average American diet has protein insufficient, or that we eat poor quality proteins.

2. It recognizes that the USDA and ADA dietary recommendations don't make sound scientific sense both in amount of protein, amount of carbs, or in dealing with Fats.

3. It actually recommends a 5 meal per day plan... 3 meals... with 2 snacks in between.

4. It's foundation is ensuring each meal contains first and foremost adequate high quality protein.

5. To that high quality protein is added just enough high quality (hopefully omega 3) fats to aid the body in burning fat (it takes fat to burn fat... low fat diets often fail because they don't have enough good fats to jump start the fat burning process.)

6. To the HQ protein and omega 3 fats is added SUFFICIENT carbohydrate to maintain the Body's 24 hour supply of glycogen (which is stored in the muscles and liver) for your brain, and for emergency fuel supply during extreme physical activity...

Your body doesn't need any more carbs than this... why? Because when you eat the right balance of protein, fat and carbs... the body doesnt use carbohydrates for fuel.. it uses fat... which is far more energy dense than carbohydrates.

Only the brain/nervous system uses carbs for fuel 100% of the time... because if it could consume fat... it could eat itself... because the brain is mostly made of fats...

Dr. Sears recognized that it is possible to calculate the carbohydrate requirements and protein requirements of a person. based on this information... and after some years of experimentation found that the correct amount or ratio of protein fat and carbs is 40:30:30.

40% of calories from HQ protein
30% of calories from good omega 3 fats (they are almost always mixed in with omega 6 and 9 fats anyway so u get plenty of all)
30% of calories from low Glycemic Index carbohydrates

Some people will require more carbs... some less... until they find their magic balance... but 40:30:30 is the baseline starting point that seems to provide the best results for the majority of people.

So... Zone Nutrition is NOT a low carb diet... It is an eating plan focused on:

Eating just enough carbs to feed your brain and nervous system. But not so much as to kick your body out of fat burning mode into sugar burning mode. (this is why they focus on Low GI carbs too... so u don't produce insulin spikes that take you out of fat burning mode)

Eating adequate protein for maintaining your heart and your lean body mass.

Eating enough... and the right kinds of... fat to perpetuate both keeping the body in fat burning mode, but also keeping the body in a mode that produces a class of cellular hormones, called eicosanoid hormones, that promote health and healing in the body.

Avoiding fast carbohydrates (high GI) that cause insulin spikes.

Avoiding bad fats that cause the body to produce a "fight or flight" stress class of eicosanoid hormones that over the long term push the body into bad health, and is probably a driving factor behind metabolic syndrome-x... which includes many different symptoms such as High BP, High Cholesterol, Sticky blood, High Tri-glycerides, and type 2 diabetes.

So... yes... Zone nutrition advocates consuming lower ammounts of carbs... and low GI carbs... but it does not recommend consuming insuffcient carbs and I would not classify it as a low-carb diet...

I personally view it as a sound and scientifically based correction to the USDA food pyramid (which is more about driving agri business sectors than it is about health) and the ADA dietary recommendations which are making recommendations based on out-dated science that needs severe correction.

Disclaimer: No... I am not a doctor.. I am just a person with some self-taught knowledge, and a logical thinking mind, and personal opinions that are protected by the first amendment to our constitution. One should always consult with an AMA indoctrinated drug pusher of a doctor before acting on any advice given by people the medical Nazis at the AMA consider to be unqualified to give such advice.

lol... maybe I should just make that last bit my signature...
bchandler

Postby Salty Skipper on Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:15 pm

Thanks for the info, Bchandler. I'll let you know what the doc says. He's a GP, but I've heard that he actually will listen to his patients and is very good at spotting endocrine problems. He's been practicing a long time, so I'm hoping he can help me figure out what's going on, if anything at all. I've been hesitant to go to the doctor because so many of them don't listen and I don't want a label slapped on my chart that may or may not be true. If I'm going to be diagnosed with something and labeled, it'd better be accurate. :lol:
Salty Skipper

Postby Salty Skipper on Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:11 pm

Well...so much for doctors listening. I was the last patient of the day, and didn't get all I wanted to say out. I guess the lab results will tell the tale. :clock:
Salty Skipper

Postby Salty Skipper on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:44 pm

Won't get my test results until tomorrow. But, I have a friend who happened to be at the doc's office on the same day I was. She has been diagnosed hypothyroid and takes synthroid. She also works down the street from me and popped in on Saturday and was asking about my visit. She asked me if the doc gave me a copy of the diet for hypo patients. I said he didn't (I assume b/c my tests need to be seen first), so she brought me a copy of hers.

Assuming that you eat any combination of these foods daily. Not sure if you have to consume all of it, but considering the calories shown below, probably so. Also, I think you can have a low cal salad dressing, but total fat grams for day must be 20 or less. So...here it is....

1 apple or pear
1 banana
2 oranges
unlimited grapes
unlimited strawberries
3 servings of vegetables (it doesn't specify which vegetables or what a serving is, but be reasonable :wink: )
1 serving of chicken or fish
2 bowls of Total cereal (it doesn't specify what type of milk...lowfat or whatever, so any must be ok)
Salty Skipper

Postby Salty Skipper on Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:57 pm

Any naturopathic remedies for slight hypothyroid? TSH 3.63? Was prescribed synthroid, but I'm scared of prescription meds. I got the script filled and am going to take it, but can't find much good info on the internet about it.
Salty Skipper

Postby bchandler on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:08 am

Salty,

Off hand the there are only a few things i can think of for thyroid health, and they have a tendency to play into over-all health as well...

1. get rid of your artificially iodized salt, and use a natural sea salt. It will contain more mineral salts than just sodium chloride... and it tastes alot better IMO... I use a product called "real salt".

2. Do some research on foods that Chelate... and start including them in your diet... Amazingly much of the decline in our health as we age appears to be related to the build up of meta-static mineral deposits in our organs and arteries... Chelators remove these deposits and they are safely excreted through the kidneys. Naturally chelating foods are probably one of the best ways for us to stay in health... However... if you are having certain issues like blockages or hardening... you may need to seek out more aggressive methods of chelation.(note: modern medicine considers chelation therapy to be experimental at best, and quck science at worst. This in spite of the fact that we now know that Man's liver used to produce 10,000 IU of vitamin C per day... about 6000 years ago... when the bible says men lived to be 900+... and NATURAL C (NOT artificial fractional C like ascorbic acid) is a powerful chelator.)

3. Add foods rich in organic iodine to support thyroid health and thyroid hormone production. The best of these would be to incorporate sea weed into your diet... Which you can pick up at most Asian markets. There are many enjoyable and tasty forms of seaweed... my favorites being the kinds that is used with sushi... and the pickled seaweed salad available in many markets. If you just cant stomach the idea of eating sea vegetables... you can probably do with a good phyto-green nutritional supplement that includes sea vegetables as part of it's makeup.
bchandler

Postby Salty Skipper on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:25 pm

Thank you, Bchandler. Evidently thyroid problems are widespread and this info will be helpful. Thanks again! :grin:
Salty Skipper

Postby First Love on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:48 pm

I have noticed that when healthy people are put on this synthroid, the next step is diabetics. I have a friend who claims that is why so many people are diabetics.

Who knows this whole world is on medicine it seems.

I have a question for someone. I want to buy a large container of canned tomatoes, open them and add one to a lentil soup mixture and freeze.

Can I freeze tomatoes from canned just by opening and freezing?
First Love

Postby Be still on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:30 pm

Any comments on "raw sugar?" I've gotten off of the chemical sweetener and am now using raw sugar from Hawaii.
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby Salty Skipper on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:14 pm

I'd be interested in knowing too. Janell sent me some. :grin:
Salty Skipper

Postby Be still on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:23 pm

The artificial sweeteners are starting to tase like chemical toxins :eek:
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby bchandler on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:05 am

The raw sugars will usually contain the minerals and enzymes that allow your body to process some of that sugar load without insulin... the same is true of fresh whole grains...

Usually, the darker, or more like molasses looking the sugar... the better...

The same can likely hold true for the darker honeys...
bchandler

Postby Be still on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:37 am

Thanks for popping in Chandler ... I've been hoping you would. :mrgreen:
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby bchandler on Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:27 am

No Problem... I forgot to tell you why processing sugars without insulin is a good thing...

Basically insulin is the hormone that tells your whole body to burn sugar for fuel... it also tells your body to store fat... So... using sweeteners that help to keep your insulin profile low and slowly oscillating after eating is much more desirable than eating in ways that causes your insulin profile to produce spikes and/or stay elevated for long periods of time...

Insulin's paired, or opposite hormone is Glucagon... Glucagon's tells your body that you only have enough sugar on hand to run your nervous system, and every other cell type in your body should use fat for fuel...

When Insulin is up... Glucagon is down... When Glucagon is up... Insulin is down...

This is why eating foods that have as slow of a glycemic index as possible is so important to weight loss and to people fighting diabetes.

Basically:

1. To many sugars/starches in a meal will push or spike your insulin profile too high.

2. Too much protein in a meal can also cause insulin spikes... though i forget off hand exactly how that works metabolically.

So, when you use a GI (Glycemic Index) chart, you first need to know how the chart is set up... whether higher GI numbers represent sugar absorption speed or resistance...

To avoid confusion... I like to use a chart that is set up to represent absorption as a percentage in comparison to either white bread, or white sugar...

These will usually be represented with an index of 100 (for 100%)

In this case foods whose sugars take longer to enter your blood will have lower numbers... so a food that has a GI of 50 would be absorbed over twice the period of time required to metabolize a food with a GI of 100...

here is a link to a nice GI database...

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

They have something incorrect right in their opening statement on the search engine though...

* Foods containing little or no carbohydrate (such as meat, fish, eggs, avocado, wine, beer, spirits, most vegetables) cannot have a GI value. No carbs = no GI.

To much protein can cause sugars and thereby insulin to spike, alcohol is metabolized into carbohydrates... so um... saying they have no carbs is not exactly accurate... alcohol IS a form of carbohydrate... and most vegetables Do have carbs... but in a form that takes much longer to metabolize, so they have a very small GI.

Here is another interesting site... but they use glucose as their 100% carb... which makes things like table sugar and white bread look better than they should IMO... u can simply take any GI number from this chart and multiply by 1.4 to get a GI that has table sugar (sucrose) as it's 100% base.

http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

There is tons of info out there...

And painfully... believe it or not... there are still those in the medical mainstream who are discouraging the use of the GI and focusing solely on calories... and you still have the nut-cases at the ADA recommending a High carbohydrate diet for diabetics, rather than a more balanced approach like like Zone (40-30-30) nutrition.

Importantly Zone nutrition addresses all of the primary concerns of everyones objections to other extreme diets... be they high protien or high carb, or fat focused...

Zone emphasizes high quality adequate protein, high quality low GI carbohydrates in sufficient quantity to keep the nervous system happy, and high quality fats such as omega 3's (EPA, DHA especially), MUFA (Mono-Unsaturated Fatty Acids), and high quality Medium chain fats like those found in avacado and coco butter.

Zone de-mystifies the war against fat, and restores a healthy perspective on fat, and eating the correct kinds of fat to stoke your metabolic fires, so your body burns fat for fuel... and becomes more and more efficient at doing so.
bchandler

Postby Be still on Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:06 am

Use breakfast cereals based on oats, barley and bran
Use breads with wholegrains, stone-ground flour, sour dough
Reduce the amount of potatoes you eat
Enjoy all other types of fruit and vegetables
Use Basmati or Doongara rice
Enjoy pasta, noodles, quinoa
Eat plenty of salad vegetables with a vinaigrette dressing

Above quote is from the index site.

Do the pasta/noodles have to be whole wheat?
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby bchandler on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:36 pm

The whole grain pastas will certainly be lower GI foods than white pasta...

I personally have significantly reduced starchy foods like corn, rice, potatoes, and pastas significantly... and try to use whole grain breads and pastas wherever i can. I really like the Ezekiel 4:9 products... They are made from sprouted grains which has converted more of the carbs to proteins...

The Ezekiel 4:9 bread is some seriously heavy bread... much more like you would find in europe... not american air-bread... It is an acquired taste... has a richer nutty flavor.

They also make tortillas and i believe pastas...

I have some disagreement with statements made by these websites... many still seem to be towing the ADA line on a high carb low fat diet... which is totally wrong IMO...

IMO, adequate HQ protein, minimal low GI carbs and good omega 3 fats are the way to go... it takes fat to burn fat... and it is fat in your food that triggers your feelings of fullness or satiation.
bchandler

Postby Be still on Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:48 pm

american air-bread

And that's what it is. You can eat it till you fall over and it doesn't fill you up.

As for added fats, the only fat I've been adding is olive oil.
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby MaryALice on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:55 am

I couldnt sleep so I came and read this entire thread in about 1 half hours lol. THANK YOU everyone, i've needed to get my head out of the sand and face my demons. I have been putting on weight and Im scared. I am having foot issues.... BUT i still feel that I can beat anything that might be happening if I can get the inspiration to take off this weight UG. Why do we do this to our self. I was looking so good last year, and this year Im a mess. Thanks to everyone and BC Chandler for their amazing knowledge and being so good to share. BC i do have a question if you have the time. Have you ever hard of glyco nutrient, ambrotose?

I've had THE ZONE book for about 13 years and have never read it. I think i will dust it off and get busy. Thanks!! :alrighty:
Eye has not seen, nor ear heard. Niether has entered into mind the things which God has prepared for those that love him. 1 Cor 2:9
MaryALice

Postby bchandler on Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:42 am

MaryAlice,

I have heard of glyco-nutrients, but have not done much in the way of research on them.

As for why we do this to ourselves... I want you to back up your thinking a bit, and realize that most of us don't do this to ourselves...

Most of us are victims of the commercial food industry. The food producing conglomerates, have done incredibly evil things to the people of the world.

1. They have removed nutritive oils/fats from foods and even candy, and replaced it with non-nutritive oils/fats. Why? Because it increases the shelf life of their products if bacteria won't eat it... and they can sell any nutritive oils/fats they extract in processing for a healthy profit... a win/win for them... but a lose/lose for the consumer.

2. They have included trans-fats (partially or fully hydrogenated oils/fats) in their products, which they KNOW are addictive... cause a psychotropic cascade response in the brain much like a synthetic opiate... and they KNOW they cause long term chronic medical problems and metabolic changes... The most detrimental being metabolic syndrome-x.

3. The same doctors sitting on the Boards of these food producers also sit on the boards of pharmaceutical companies that are producing the medications to treat the long-term chronic medical conditions caused by these processed foods.

4. Animals raised for the commercial food industry are raised in the most appalling high density conditions, and fed diets that are made up of mostly high carbohydrate grains... This results in the foods they produce being high in bad fats, and low in good fats... Meat, Eggs, Dairy are all affected by these inhumane, and profit motive methods of raising their production.

People need to make a profit in business... but... they should not be allowed to drastically alter an animals diet and thereby the quality of it's produce in order to do so...

Cattle eat grasses, not grain, poultry eat a wide variety of things... including insects that feed on plants... good milk cows don't give 20 gallons of milk a day like the Frankenstein of the dairy industry... the Holstein...

Admittedly, most of these detrimental affects were not known at the time these industries made these changes... but... they are known now... and instead of behaving honorably and deeming the best interest of their consumers to be in their best interest in the monetary long run, they instead cling purely to the profit motive mantra of fiduciary responsibility to shareholders in the short term...

There are only a few ways to fix this problem today:

1. STOP BUYING processed foods that contain these bad fats, trans-fats, and nutrient depleted foods.

2. IF you buy processed foods... buy foods that use whole grains, good fats... always eat as close to the natural product as possible.

3. START looking for animal produce (Meat, Dairy, Eggs) that are produced from free-range animals at best... or in the case of sea fishes wild caught... and at the minimum are raised on/fed a diet of vegetable based feed, not grain based feeds.

4. While I abhor government regulation, If these food conglomerates won't behave responsibly and remove trans-fats and non-nutritive fats from our food supply, then we need to petition our governments to outlaw non-nutritive and trans-fats for use in food, and create a list of proven, and approved nutritive fats for use in foods... and in order to get on the good list... extreme positive health benefits must be shown.

IMO, the FDA has failed miserably in it's responsibility to the American people when it comes to dealing with maintaining a healthful food supply in this country.

If the FDA was doing it's job....

1. Bleached grain products should have been outlawed many years ago

2. Trans-fats should have been outlawed within the last 10 years

3. Grain feeding and high density production of animal products should have been outlawed many years ago, and the need to free-range or vegetable feed our Meat, Egg and Dairy animals should have been encouraged.

4. The breakdown of good versus bad fat content of animal products (Meat Eggs Dairy)should be required as part of the truth in product labeling laws.

5. Something to encourage mid west farmers to allow natural flooding of their farmland, and to pursue natural methods of farming and soil development should have been done... Congress has known about the mineral depletion of our mid western soils for over 80 years, and has known about the detrimental affects of commercial pesticides and fertilizers for slightly less time than that. (the reports are part of the congressional record and found in the library of congress)

I say all this (whew) to say... it isn't your fault... you didn't necessarily do this to yourself... you have been slowly poisoned by a polluted and corrupted food supply for many years... without your knowledge or permission...

But.. you can do something about it... you can start eating differently, and buying the healthiest versions of processed foods you can find...

If we start hitting food producers in their pocket books... they will have no choice but to modify their business model or go bankrupt... either way you win... and not just you... but the whole country, and indeed many countries...

IMO, this is as necessary a ministry to the world and to our loving the world, as any other service we perform as Christians (aside from the Lord and his Gospel itself which is always #1).

It's a real shame we can't take the health consciousness of the SDA, and the family and community service consciousness of the LDS, and bring that all together in the Body of Christ... minus the aberrant doctrines of course...

Oh yea... there was a group of Christians like that... they were called the Anabaptists... but that is a whole different story.
bchandler

Postby GodsStudent on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:31 am

bchandler.....I just want to tell you thank you for all of the information you have given in this thread. Your time and efforts are not all for not as I have really benefited from all of your work here! Thank You!!! Thank You !!! Thank You !!!
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Salty Skipper on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:23 am

A heads up on the "good oils" processed products...they will have that in big flashy lettering, such as olive oil, no transfats, or whatever. Then, the second ingredient listed will be soybean oil. Poison. It's hard to avoid it 100%, but eating as unprocessed as possible goes a long way. Also, the stuff labeled 'vegetable oil' at the grocery store is mostly soybean oil. Pick something else. fwiw
Salty Skipper

Postby Salty Skipper on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:28 am

Bchandler,

Are animals still fed soybean products these days? I know quite a few years ago they were being fed soybean/grain products. I wonder how those soybeans affect the hormones and glands of the cows and if they have as detrimental affect on the cows as they do human beings.
Salty Skipper

Postby SueAnn on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:31 pm

FYI to anyone with hypothyroidism and is on Synthroid or it's generic.

Soybean is a no-no if you are on these meds. The soy product actually keeps the synthetic thyroid hormone from doing it's job. You may as well not take the medication if you are going to consume soy.

I was taking Synthroid for YEARS before I learned this...online, of all places. No doctor ever mentioned it to me.

Be careful what vitamins you take, many are soy based.

Be careful with diet plans...Atkins pre-prepared food is soybean based. Atkins books tell you not to do their diet if you have thyroid issues.

Nutrisystem plans also contain a lot of soy.

Hypothyroidism is the easiest diease in the world to live with...one pill a day. That's it. But it's trying to find foods and diets that do not contain soy that makes hypothyroidism a pain in the patootie to live with!
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Postby MaryALice on Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:26 pm

Thank you so much BC, what a posting!! You'd make a great defense attorney. lol I agree with everything you said. Although I do have to take some of the responsibility for not making better food choices. I am a info junky. I investigate everything , even more so now that CHina is trying to kill us. lol I will not buy anything from China. I know these corporate hogs are full of greed, greed, greed. Your posts are inspiring, and encouraging for us. You are to this board what Farmer is to us in Europe!! Thank you MaryAlice
Eye has not seen, nor ear heard. Niether has entered into mind the things which God has prepared for those that love him. 1 Cor 2:9
MaryALice

Postby Salty Skipper on Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:45 pm

SueAnn wrote:FYI to anyone with hypothyroidism and is on Synthroid or it's generic.

Soybean is a no-no if you are on these meds. The soy product actually keeps the synthetic thyroid hormone from doing it's job. You may as well not take the medication if you are going to consume soy.

I was taking Synthroid for YEARS before I learned this...online, of all places. No doctor ever mentioned it to me.

Be careful with diet plans...Atkins pre-prepared food is soybean based. Atkins books tell you not to do their diet if you have thyroid issues.

Hypothyroidism is the easiest diease in the world to live with...one pill a day. That's it. But it's trying to find foods and diets that do not contain soy that makes hypothyroidism a pain in the patootie to live with!

Over consumption of soy protein also damages the thyroid of previously healthy people.
Salty Skipper

Postby Be still on Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:46 pm

Over consumption of soy protein also damages the thyroid of previously healthy people.

I never knew that.
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby Be still on Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:42 pm

Vitamins A, C and E are 'a waste of time and may even shorten your life'

'Even more, beta-carotene, vitamin A, and vitamin E seem to increase mortality,' says the review.

Vitamin A was linked to a 16 per cent increase in mortality, beta-carotene - the pigment found in carrots, tomatoes and broccoli which the body converts into vitamin A - to a 7 per cent increase and vitamin E to a 4 per cent increase. However, there was no significant detrimental effect caused by vitamin C.

'There was no evidence to support either healthy people using antioxidants to prevent disease or for sick people to take them to get better,' said the review.

It said more research was needed on vitamin C and selenium.

LINK
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby SueAnn on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:19 pm

Salty Skipper wrote:
SueAnn wrote:FYI to anyone with hypothyroidism and is on Synthroid or it's generic.

I didn't know that, Salty.
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Postby Salty Skipper on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:41 pm

Just google or yahoo "soy damages thyroid" and take a gander. Ever wonder why there are a significant number of children who are deathly allergic to peanuts? Probably has something to do with soy based baby formulas. Peanuts and Soy are a lot alike. The following article is one of many that pop up when searching soy based baby formulas.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=soy-based-infant-formulas

Peanuts can also cause problems, much like soy. But, probably not as bad.

Edited to add a couple of links and to say that the only reason soy has become so prevalent is because it is CHEAP.
http://campaignfortruth.com/Eclub/200202/soyisendocrinedisruptor.htm
http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/04phytoestrogens.htm
http://www.mothering.com/articles/growing_child/food/soy_story.html
Salty Skipper

Postby Be still on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:18 pm

Just google or yahoo "soy damages thyroid" and take a gander. Ever wonder why there are a significant number of children who are deathly allergic to peanuts? Probably has something to do with soy based baby formulas.

Wow!
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby bchandler on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:08 am

If Soy can damage a cell seedbed like the thyroid gland... makes me wonder if it could affect pancreatic Islet cells... and cause type 1 diabetes... my daughter was on soy formula because my wife never did produce milk...

There are times i wish we could take what we know and go back a hundred years...
bchandler

Postby Be still on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:43 am

What do you think about vitamins being harmful Chandler?
YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby bchandler on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:15 pm

The majority of our vitamins today are manufactured in China... knowing what we know... do you really think they have our best interests in mind?

Vitamin E - The purified kind... and possibly synthetic... actually increases inflammation While the natural mixed tocopherols type of E has healthful benefits...

Vitamin C - The synthetic fractional ascobates, actually increase inflamation and harm the body... While natural plant sourced vitamin C is probably one of the primary factors in keeping your arteries clean, and your organs from aging/calcifying.

Vitamin D - your body produces one kind of vitamin D when sunlight contacts your skin.... but our government decided a different form of D was better for us... (talk about arrogant) so... all the D in milk, and other D enriched foods is the wrong form... and God only knows how that will affect us detrimentally.

These are just 3 examples... i am sure the list goes on, and on...

While certain vitamins are essential... you are much better off getting them from plant sources than taking pills... but our soils and foods are so nutrient depleted, it is almost required that people take a vitamin/mineral supplement.

That being the case... again... find a plant based vitamin mineral source... not a junk one.
bchandler

Postby Be still on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:10 am

YSIC, Karen
Be still

Postby daffodyllady on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:12 pm

Hello, all! Just logging in here, to show my face, and to confess.

I hit 277 lbs. At 5'2". BMI over 50. A1c 5.8, which is almost diabetic.
Doctor told me to do Atkins. So, with the help of Jesus, I hit it hard.

Report: after 3 weeks, I have lost 16 lbs. I feel sooooooooo much better!
My blood sugar stays in the normal range at all times. I am healing inside from the damage of high blood sugar all those years of eating high-carb foods.

I have a long way to go, but with God's help, I intend to stay the course.
Daffodyllady
Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, and touch not the unclean thing, and I will recieve you... Abstain from all appearance of evil...Without holiness shall no man see the Lord.
daffodyllady

PreviousNext

Return to Whatever (Almost)