Diets and health for Christians

Discussion not limited to prophecy.

Diets and health for Christians

Postby Land Of Hope And Glory on Thu May 17, 2007 7:46 am

Hi, I'm currently on a low carb diet.

Do any of you have any stories about your own experiences with this?
Land Of Hope And Glory

Postby Salty Skipper on Thu May 17, 2007 8:02 am

I've done it and it works. I just lost 25 pounds on a low-carb diet. When you stop doing it, your body will naturally put back on about 5-7 pounds of water to process carbohydrates (even the healthy kind). I have put back on 5 and have been holding for about 3 weeks. Lost 30, put back 5 in about 3 days time) Like anything else, once you have lost all of the weight you would like to lose, you have to keep it in check once you are finished. Also, calories are still a factor, even when low-carbing.

If you have high cholesterol, and it isn't remedied by low-carb, please read "Protein Power." It's a book by a couple of doctors that explains how to remedy a few problems for people who continue to have high cholesterol.

All of the old rumors you used to hear about low-carb pretty much aren't true at all. It doesn't cause kidney damage, and you won't gain all of the weight back if you watch what you eat (aside from the afore mentioned water weight).

It is true that the cleaner you eat, the faster you will lose. For instance, if you keep thing like cheese, nuts, and fats to a minimum, you will lose very quickly. If you want to lose really fast, stick to green veggies and lean proteins and avoid beef. The reason for avoiding beef is because of the higher fat and higher calorie content. Men can lose really, really fast like that.
Salty Skipper

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 8:09 am

I need to pay close attention to this thread :bag:
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby Salty Skipper on Thu May 17, 2007 8:12 am

Me too. :lol: I've got more than 5 more pounds to lose. :bag:
Salty Skipper

Postby Land Of Hope And Glory on Thu May 17, 2007 8:16 am

Thanks for that.

I started the diet about 5 days ago.

I'm into ketosis since yesterday, with a .15 reading

I've been eating green beans/peas with roast chicken/tuna/beef and have been snacking on cheese.

I've not desperate to lose weight very fast, so do you think something like the above diet it ok for this?

Also, I was wanting to get some broccoli for the dietary fibre, but how many carbs does it have?
Land Of Hope And Glory

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 8:19 am

LOHAG, are you diabetic?
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby Salty Skipper on Thu May 17, 2007 8:20 am

Sounds like you are doing great. Broccoli is fine. Actually better than the green peas. Most any green, leafy type veggie is good...

Lettuce, cabbage, greens, green beans, summer squash, zucchini, etc. Cauliflower and turnips are ok too. You can mash those up like potatoes, and they are actually pretty good.
Salty Skipper

Postby Land Of Hope And Glory on Thu May 17, 2007 8:23 am

No I'm not diabetic, my wife is though. She's just started insulin and they've got her on a high carb diet

Thanks Skipper; do you think the glycemic diet may be better than this?

1,000 posts whew lol
Land Of Hope And Glory

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 8:28 am

1,000 posts whew lol
ImageImageImageImage
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby Land Of Hope And Glory on Thu May 17, 2007 8:30 am

I'm surprised I lasted that long :lol: :wink:

J/K!
Land Of Hope And Glory

Postby Salty Skipper on Thu May 17, 2007 8:31 am

I don't think I'm familiar with the glycemic diet. Pretty much any low-carb plan is good. Some you will probably lose better with than others. It's a shame they have your wife on a high-carb plan. If she is a type 2 diabetic, low-carb works wonders for it. If she also needs to lose weight, once it's apparent that you have lost, she might be open to trying it. Of course, many doctors haven't a clue that low-carb keeps blood sugar in check.

My elderly father was an out of control type 2 diabetic. Out of control meaning that after he had a stroke, his blood sugar was through the roof. He wasn't able to eat after the major stroke he had and was being fed through a tube. What were they pumping in, but regular old sugar-filled "food." I mentioned it to mom to brought it to the attention of the doctor. They switched dad over to a low glycemic brand and his blood sugar was suddenly back in control again. :roll:

Keep up the good work, LOHAG! You won't be sorry you did it. :wink:
Salty Skipper

Postby Land Of Hope And Glory on Thu May 17, 2007 8:34 am

Have you noticed though, like a recovering alcoholic, your friends are always offering you high carb food. :lol:
Land Of Hope And Glory

Postby Salty Skipper on Thu May 17, 2007 8:35 am

Yep. Especially here in America...it's all about the soft drinks and such. When you are not partaking in sugar, you feel like the "outsider." :lol:
Salty Skipper

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 8:44 am

Land Of Hope And Glory wrote:I'm surprised I lasted that long :lol: :wink:

J/K!

:sweat:
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby Butterfly on Thu May 17, 2007 9:02 am

I had great success on a low carb diet about five years ago. Lost about25 lbs. when nothing else would work. I kept the weight off until about a year or so ago. I got my wisdom teeth out and pretty much all I could eat was carbs for several weeks (I was told when you're "older" it takes much longer to recover). Well, I couldn't seem to get back on the wagon and have gained back the weight. So I tried Weight Watchers and that didn't work for me even tho I stuck to the points. My body adjusts very quickly to lower calories- lost first week then stayed the same or gained a pound the next 6 weeks. Very frustrating. So now I'm going to go back to the low carb thing. It's probably better for my anyway because I have trouble with low blood sugar and when I low carb it levels out the blood sugar better. It's interesting to see this thread today when I just decided I'd have to low carb even tho it's no longer popular. Keep us posted how it works for you. Maybe we can have our own little support group. :grin:

Love in Christ,

Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby Land Of Hope And Glory on Thu May 17, 2007 9:11 am

My wife had hypoglycemia before she developed diabetes. It can be very hard to adjust.

Yes we could have our own forum on this board just for low carb christians :wink:

Yes I'll let you know how I get on. My reading today is two colours down from negative.

I'm trying to get it as close to dark purple as I can.
Land Of Hope And Glory

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 9:16 am

low carb christians wink

I like that, maybe we should have a support group in the fellowship forum. :mrgreen:
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby Land Of Hope And Glory on Thu May 17, 2007 9:28 am

I wonder how many members are on this
Land Of Hope And Glory

Postby kids on Thu May 17, 2007 12:00 pm

I have eaten low carb for years (around 5 total) I feel best when I am eating low carb and maintain my weight very well. There is always something you can eat wherever you are. It really is easy. Of course I am NOT low carbing at the moment and deal with (blech) gas, upset stomach and stomach blooting(sp?). But the carbs sure do taste good in my mouth...lol :mrgreen:

I have tons of recipes if your interested! desserts included :wink:

Sister in Christ,
Nancy
kids

Postby Salty Skipper on Thu May 17, 2007 12:05 pm

Speaking of carbs...has anybody here ever had a reaction to rice that wasn't white rice? It seems that when I try to eat the "healthy" forms of rice (brown rice or wild rice) they really make me feel bad. I feel almost like I'm having a mild asthma like attack. It took me eating it about 3 times to figure this out. At first, I thought it was just a fluke. White rice doesn't seem to bother me, nor does flour.

Anyway, I would love if we could have a thread to help keep us all encouraged. Right now, I'm trying to do a lower sugar plan and exercise too. I may go back on full-fledged low carb very soon to peel some more of this weight off.
Salty Skipper

Postby stevesherri on Thu May 17, 2007 12:09 pm

Land Of Hope And Glory wrote:Thanks for that.

I've not desperate to lose weight very fast, so do you think something like the above diet it ok for this?

But you can lose weight very fast, hardly even trying. I lost 10 pounds in 28 days. All I did was limit myself to 25 grams of carbs at one time, and only at meals. Lower amount of carbs for a snack.

My wife is now on a low-carb diet; she just found out she's type 2 diabetic. With the right diet, regular walks and medication her glucose is coming down just about each day.
stevesherri
Supporting Member

Postby lahalbo on Thu May 17, 2007 12:11 pm

I also have lost weight eating low carb. I followed a way of eating that a celebrity endorses, who happened to be on 3's Company. :wink:

Anyway it worked and I lost 15lbs in 3 months, results may vary. I will say that her diet was more high fat but was adaptable to being less fat if you just watched what you ate and cut out all the creams etc. as mentioned above.

All my blood work is in line so I could have some of the fattier foods and not have it bother me. Everyone is different though.

My favorite side for a long time was roasted broccoli!! Yummmmmm. I need to make some of that soon.

I just recently started watching what I ate and have started trying to cut out a lot of the white carbs like white bread, white rice, potatoes.

Why, oh why do carbs taste so good!!!! :cry:
lahalbo

Postby Butterfly on Thu May 17, 2007 12:15 pm

lahalbo,

How do you make your roasted broccoli?

Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 12:54 pm

Salty, we could make this a sticky and rename it something like diets and health for Christians? What do you and LOHAG think?
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby Salty Skipper on Thu May 17, 2007 1:03 pm

I think that's a good idea. :grin:
Salty Skipper

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 1:10 pm

Okay, LOHAG, this is your thread, what do you want us to do?
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby Land Of Hope And Glory on Thu May 17, 2007 1:13 pm

I didn't expect you to do that, but if you want to I think it would be grand.
Land Of Hope And Glory

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 1:17 pm

Okay, now it is a sticky. I think it has sparked so much interest and sharing of information that it would be a shame to let it get burried. Thanks LOHAG for starting such a wonderful topic. :grin:
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby Land Of Hope And Glory on Thu May 17, 2007 1:19 pm

You're welcome. I didn't think so many of you were on this sort of diet

Quite surprising.
Land Of Hope And Glory

Postby Salty Skipper on Thu May 17, 2007 1:22 pm

Americans are always on a diet. :rolllaughing: At least I am. :bag:
Salty Skipper

Postby Land Of Hope And Glory on Thu May 17, 2007 1:30 pm

But your food is so cheap over there.

Like you can buy an all you can eat buffet for about $3.50 ..

Load up on carbs

Puke your guts out in the bathroom

Then load up some more

Sorry, I put 1.50 haha
Last edited by Land Of Hope And Glory on Thu May 17, 2007 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Land Of Hope And Glory

Postby AndCanItBe on Thu May 17, 2007 1:30 pm

:lol:

I'm trying too, but I'm starting small. I'm just working on pop, eating more broccoli since I love it anyway, and walking.

Oh, mashed cauliflower is good. Have any of you tried that? You can mash it just like potatoes.
AndCanItBe

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 1:35 pm

AndCanItBe wrote::lol:

I'm trying too, but I'm starting small. I'm just working on pop, eating more broccoli since I love it anyway, and walking.

Oh, mashed cauliflower is good. Have any of you tried that? You can mash it just like potatoes.
:thinking:

Maybe this thread will help me get started. I need to address some serious health issues from some sudden weight gain. I just had another blood test done today. I may be hypothyroid after all, so maybe if I need meds, that will help kick start my diet too.
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby Salty Skipper on Thu May 17, 2007 1:41 pm

Like you can buy an all you can eat buffet for about $3.50 ..

WHERE?! :lol: I know that you can go to Pizza Hut at lunch for $4.99, but I don't think that includes your sugar-filled soft drink. :lol: :lol:
Salty Skipper

Postby Salty Skipper on Thu May 17, 2007 1:42 pm

Lookfortruth wrote:
AndCanItBe wrote::lol:

:thinking:

Maybe this thread will help me get started. I need to address some serious health issues from some sudden weight gain. I just had another blood test done today. I may be hypothyroid after all, so maybe if I need meds, that will help kick start my diet too.

If there is a possibility that you are hypo, steer clear of anything with soy protein. It's pure poison for the thyroid. I gained a large amount of weight very fast and I think it was as a result of using soy protein. I didn't know any better.
Salty Skipper

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 1:45 pm

If there is a possibility that you are hypo, steer clear of anything with soy protein. It's pure poison for the thyroid. I gained a large amount of weight very fast and I think it was as a result of using soy protein. I didn't know any better.

I can't stomach soy literally, but then again, it is in a lot of things we do not realize. :eek:
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby AndCanItBe on Thu May 17, 2007 1:47 pm

it is in a lot of things we do not realize

Like what? I really watch out for high fructose corn syrup, which is almost impossible to avoid, it seems, but I've never heard much about soy protein.
AndCanItBe

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 1:48 pm

Meats and dairy products. :armor:
Last edited by Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby AndCanItBe on Thu May 17, 2007 1:49 pm

Ah. Like processed ones, or do they even inject it into raw meat?
AndCanItBe

Postby Butterfly on Thu May 17, 2007 1:49 pm

I didn't know that about soy protein. Thanks for the warning. I suspect I have a thyroid problem. It seems to run in my family on my mom's side. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Butterfly
Butterfly

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 1:52 pm

AndCanItBe wrote:Ah. Like processed ones, or do they even inject it into raw meat?

processed, and some hamburger
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby kids on Thu May 17, 2007 1:59 pm

Here's a few easy low carb meals :)

Crock-Pot Hot Wing Chicken

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 ½ cups of Frank’s hot sauce
¼ cup of butter
Tortillas if not low carbing

1. Put chicken breasts into crock pot.
2. Pour Frank’s hot sauce over the top
3. Cut butter into pieces and place over the top
4. Cook on low for 6 hours
5. Shred chicken with tines of fork
6. Pile chicken on tortillas
7. Add your favorite toppings

Stuffed Mushrooms
This recipe makes a great side dish or appetizer.

10 white button mushrooms
4 ounces cream cheese
½ pound of pork sausage – breakfast roll sausage works great!
4 cups of water
4 ounces of cheddar cheese, finely shredded
¼ teaspoon salt & pepper
2 tablespoons lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Wash mushrooms and remove stems. (set stems aside)
3. Bring water and lemon juice to a boil and add mushroom caps. Let boil for 2 minutes- then pour in a colander to drain.
4. Crumble sausage in a skillet and cook until completely done – about 10 minutes. Let cool.
5. Chop mushroom stems.
6. Once the sausage is cool, mix the cream cheese, salt & pepper, chopped mushroom stems and cheddar cheese to form a thick mixture.
7. Divide the mixture among the mushroom caps, mounding.
8. Place stuffed mushrooms in a casserole dish and bake, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until filling is bubbly and mushrooms are slightly soft.

Low Carb Mock Mashed Potatoes
This is a good substitute for mashed potatoes. Tastes very similar.

1 head of cauliflower
1 tablespoon cream cheese, softened
¼ cup grated parmesan
1 clove of minced garlic
½ teaspoon of salt
1/8 teaspoon of pepper
3 Tablespoons of butter

6. Set a large pot of water to boil over high heat.
7. Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces.
8. Cook, in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done.
9. Drain well; do not let cool and pat cooked cauliflower very dry between several layers of paper towels.
10. Puree hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, parmesan, garlic, salt and pepper until almost smooth.
11. Serve hot with pats of butter.

* You can also put mashed cauliflower in a baking dish and sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top. Bake in oven till cheese is melted

Low- Carb White Chocolate & Peanut Butter Pudding
This is one of my favorite low-carb treats. It’s delicious even if you aren’t low-carbing.

1 small pkg. white chocolate sugar free instant pudding
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup heavy cream
1 ¼ cup water
2 tablespoons peanut butter
4 packets of Splenda

1. Soften cream cheese and peanut butter in microwave for about 30 seconds.
2. In a bowl, add heavy cream, soften cream cheese and peanut butter and mix on low until smooth.
3. Add splenda and mix. Add water and pudding mix, blending on low until smooth.
4. Place into small dessert dishes, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

I have many more tried and true recipes if your interested.

Sister in Christ,
Nancy
kids

Postby AndCanItBe on Thu May 17, 2007 2:01 pm

Thanks LFT and kids!
AndCanItBe

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 2:07 pm

Low- Carb White Chocolate & Peanut Butter Pudding

Okay, you have now achieved getting my full attention! :lol:
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby lahalbo on Thu May 17, 2007 2:34 pm

Butterfly wrote:lahalbo,

How do you make your roasted broccoli?

Butterfly

Roasted Broccoli

Take fresh broccoli florets (the part that looks like the tree). Toss it with olive oil and your choice of seasoning, I like a roasted garlic seasoning mix (I think I bought it in a large container at Sams wholesale). Pour it out onto a cookie sheet (the kind that has the shallow sides is best because of the olive oil) and bake it at a pretty high heat 450 for about 10 minutes. Watch it because it can burn.

Frozen won't work because it will wilt. My 17 year old son eats it too. It is too spicy for my daughters. If salt is a problem you could use McCormick's seasoning, I believe it is no salt. :grin:

YUMMMMMM
lahalbo

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 2:37 pm

I realize now that I am hungry :lol:
Candy
Lookfortruth

Unquestioning Support

Postby lahalbo on Thu May 17, 2007 2:42 pm

If this is a thread that is going to be a support for all ways of eating (hate the word diet), my hope is that everyone give support to each other no matter what WOE they are following. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for others. You have to find the way of eating you can stick with. I have found if I tell someone I am eating low carb and they are doing WW, I get drawn into the whole discussion of why theirs is better than mine.

:sofa:

:a2:
lahalbo

Postby Lookfortruth on Thu May 17, 2007 2:44 pm

Good point. I think we can all agree, this will not be a debate forum :mrgreen:
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby lahalbo on Thu May 17, 2007 2:47 pm

Stuffed mushrooms......drooling!!!!
lahalbo

Postby Butterfly on Thu May 17, 2007 3:13 pm

Thanks for the great recipes Nancy and lahalbo! Please keep them coming. I can use all the incentive I can get. Now I am hungry. Oh, and I totally agree about not debating. I know firsthand what works for some does not work for all. :a2:

Butterfly
Butterfly

Next

Return to Whatever (Almost)