My Brother

Discussion not limited to prophecy.

My Brother

Postby mark s on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:59 pm

We have cats, and my wife will always want to get another if she gets down to one, because she doesn't want the one to be alone during the day.

So we got this Calico kitten, Orchid, to be the friend to the older cat, Ansel. Miserable failure so far! She's got something wrong with her brain, we think! Terrible little animal! Attacks him all the time!

But procured for the specific purpose to be the friend to Ansel.

I was reading my Bible last night, in Colossians 1, and when I came to the place where it says, "All things were made through Him and for Him", into my mind flashed the image of the kitten. And it became real to me that God made me for Jesus, just like we got Orchid for Ansel.

And Jesus became my brother.

I mean, He was, but it became real to me. And after I sat there stunned for a few minutes, I started to smile, then bigger, and I looked up, and said, "Hi Jesus!" My new Brother!! And He said to me, "Let's go have some adventures!"

I never know what to expect from God, but those simple words reframed Jesus in my mind.

Because that was the best part of my childhood, all the stuff my brother and I would do together. Plastic soldier wars in Trabuco Canyon. Riding our bikes all over creation. All the different things. Sometimes not the most wholesome adventures, particularly when we got a little older.

We didn't have a father with us, and it's taking me a long long time to learn God as my Father, but Jesus as my Brother clicked right in, because I have one of those.

And as God is making me a child again, this fits like a glove, and fills me with joy, and promise, because I remember he and I, and the adventures we had.

And for all that, more to come for eternity long!

And now I have another brother, and I can't wait to see what adventures we will have!!

Much love,

Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Re: My Brother

Postby keithareilly on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:58 pm

:read2:
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby sacredcowbasher on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:44 am

That’s beautiful Mark, thanks for sharing. I’m remembering a song that Steven Curtis Chapman recorded called, Great Adventure. I will see if I can find it and post it.

My wife and I often have had two cats. Presently our two are about 12 years old and the make cat, Max, is showing his age and then some. He started out in life scrounging for anything to eat and we think it messed up his system. Then he was badly beat up and torn by a neighborhood cat a few years ago. He has recently lost much weight and he throws up his food now and then. Our female, GooGoo Kitty, thankfully gets along pretty good with him.
Gal 2: 14-19 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law ( the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus ), died to the law ( the law of sin and death ) that I might live to God. Parenthetical remarks added are mine.
sacredcowbasher

Postby sacredcowbasher on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:49 am

The Great Adventure - Steven Curtis Chapman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVFPjIp6nkk
Gal 2: 14-19 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law ( the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus ), died to the law ( the law of sin and death ) that I might live to God. Parenthetical remarks added are mine.
sacredcowbasher

Postby mark s on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:38 am

GooGoo Kitty, now that is CUTE!

I actually found this sound a couple of weeks ago. I have it by "Men of Praise" on a cd from 20 years ago, I have no idea where it is now. Then I found this one!

Good stuff!

Much love,
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby GodsStudent on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 am

Hi Mark:
I enjoyed the view you set out there with Christ as your brother (as well as Savior, husband, and so many other ways scripture provides for us to see Him). Truly, our Lord desires us to be present in a relationship with Him, as this is why He created us. So many of us choose Him and then, it's like we open our house door, invite Him in, show Him to our sofa, and then walk around Him as though He's not still there. Any way a person can envision beginning the relationship and maintaining the relationship, which isn't so physical now as it is in our spirits....it's a good way to encourage us to move forward and interact with Him, as this is His Heart's desire.

As to the kitten thing....I hope that once little kitty grows up a little, it will settle in and become a better companion. I live clear across the map, and that's too bad, because I happen to have a whole litter of kittens coming any minute now, and I sure would love to give you one of ours......lol. (we had a kitten that got pregnant before we could get her fixed, and so we will be on top of that as soon as she weens those babies, lol!).
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby mark s on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi GS,

Yes, this is what we're hoping for, time to mellow her out. But seriously, I've never seen a cat like this before!

Even more seriously,

From Romans 8, "That he might be the firstborn among many brothers (and sisters, implied in the Greek).

So it really is true! I was made to be a brother to Jesus!

I'd have to say this is more than just a way of thinking of Jesus, I believe this is the exact truth of the situation we have come to be in.

I've been born from the Father, Jesus is my brother. When you are begotten from a King, what does that say about you? We are royalty! Children of the King! And all authority, in heaven and on earth . . . has been given to . . . my brother!

Much love in Him!

Mark
mark s

Postby Jay Ross on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:27 pm

In Romans 8:29 the word "brother" that you have used in this verse, has previously been translated as "Brethren" in other translations which is neutral with respect to gender. More modern translation translate ἀδελφοῖς as "among many brothers and sisters," in keeping with the concept of the "brethren," and PC'ness.

While I agree with the concept of being a "brother" to Christ, the concept is more defined in the notion of being "sons/children of God," (Matt 5:9, 45 etc.) where if we are God's "sons/children," then Christ is our brother and is also the first born of the kingdom.

In Matthew 5:9 it defines who are the "children of God," and the requirement to be identified as "children of God."
Jay Ross

Return to Whatever (Almost)