When did God tell us about the afterlife

Where anyone can ask or answer a question.

When did God tell us about the afterlife

Postby extravagantchristian on Fri May 08, 2020 9:36 am

I was reading genesis from the beginning and noticed that when God told Adam and Eve that they would die for their sins "from dust you came and dust you shall return", he didn't say anything about life after death, heaven, hell or a judgment. Which must have been discouraging to them, to know that one day their life would end with no hope of a future. And then all humanity lived that way, with no hope of eternity for how long?

When did God begin to reveal these things to humans?

I can't imagine going through life without any knowledge of God and his plan for us. Yet that's how people lived for thousands of years. We are defiantly blessed to have the truth and yet probably going to be judged differently than those who didn't know a thing about God.
Matthew 1:22
So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophets
extravagantchristian

Re: When did God tell us about the afterlife

Postby mark s on Fri May 08, 2020 11:00 am

What a good question! I'm thinking the earlies referrence would be in Job 19:25;

23 Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book!
24 That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever!
25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
27 Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

But how did he know this?

God had direct relationships with people in the beginning, speaking personally with Adam and Eve, with Cain, and we don't know all the things He may have told them.

I'm trying to think of anything in the books of Moses, but I can't come up with anything. Psalm 90, by Moses, reads like this life is all there is.

Solomon wrote:

Ecclesiastes 3
19 For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.
20 All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?

It seems Solomon didn't know one way or the other.

David, his father, wrote,

Psalm 16
8 I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.
10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

David clearly had the expectation of the afterlife.

Maybe on observation to be made is that Solomon, by his wisdom and knowledge, didn't know. But David, by revelation, did.

Other thoughts?

Much love!
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby extravagantchristian on Fri May 08, 2020 11:11 am

I'm trying to remember, if or when God said anything about afterlife to Abraham or his decendants?

I know he made a covenant with David, maybe that has something in it?

I think it's interesting That he kept it all a secret for so long.

He decided before the world began that Jesus would die for our sins...

It's like he's slowly revealing himself.
So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophets
extravagantchristian

Postby Ready1 on Fri May 08, 2020 12:11 pm

Mat 22:32 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not God of the dead, but of the living."

Mar 12:26 And as for the dead being raised, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the passage about the bush, how God spoke to him, saying, 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'?

Act 7:32 'I am the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham and of Isaac and of Jacob.' And Moses trembled and did not dare to look.

Exo 3:6 And he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God.
Just observing.

E.
Ready1

Postby shorttribber on Fri May 08, 2020 2:18 pm

I'm on my phone so can't add scripture but it's Hebrews 11 hall of faith chapter that says Abraham believed God, and did not withhold even his Promised Seed, believing that God could raise him from the dead.

Look at Hebrews 11: 13-16 it says Abraham looked for a "Heavenly Country" a "Heavenly City" in those verses.

It had to have been given to him by God to believe such.

The verbal belief in some kind of afterlife was likely told regarding Enoch having been translated from the Earth to "Somewhere" scripture says, " he had this testimony". It must have been known and spoken of then
Last edited by shorttribber on Fri May 08, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wisest men have changed their Counsels and Resolves upon second thoughts, much more upon experience, and approaching evils not at first discovered. Rev. Herbert Croft, 1675

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Find seven years of tribulation plainly stated in the Bible.
shorttribber

Postby mark s on Fri May 08, 2020 2:26 pm

Ready1 wrote:
Mat 22:32 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not God of the dead, but of the living."

Mar 12:26 And as for the dead being raised, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the passage about the bush, how God spoke to him, saying, 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'?

Act 7:32 'I am the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham and of Isaac and of Jacob.' And Moses trembled and did not dare to look.

Exo 3:6 And he said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God.

So maybe that's it.

God told Moses that He was the God of Abraham. That's good!

Much love!
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby mark s on Fri May 08, 2020 2:28 pm

extravagantchristian wrote:I'm trying to remember, if or when God said anything about afterlife to Abraham or his decendants?

Still thinking . . . but you reminded me of . . .

Titus 1:2 "In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;"

I expect this means the Father promised eternal life to the Son, knowing . . .

Much love!
mark s

Postby shorttribber on Fri May 08, 2020 2:39 pm

mark s wrote:
extravagantchristian wrote:I'm trying to remember, if or when God said anything about afterlife to Abraham or his decendants?

Still thinking . . . but you reminded me of . . .

Titus 1:2 "In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;"

I expect this means the Father promised eternal life to the Son, knowing . . .

Much love!

This, I think refers to what some think of as the "Promise God the Father made to The Son". I think that is the proof text for that idea
The Wisest men have changed their Counsels and Resolves upon second thoughts, much more upon experience, and approaching evils not at first discovered. Rev. Herbert Croft, 1675

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Find seven years of tribulation plainly stated in the Bible.
shorttribber

Postby Mark F on Fri May 08, 2020 4:14 pm

What do you think about Gen 3:22 "Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"—
This seems to be a declaration that they could live forever....again.

But then, Genesis 15:1 seems to me a very direct reference to a heavenly reward. In Gen 14 Abram defeats the kings, pays tithes to Melchizedek but would not take spoils, or earthly rewards. God then speaks to him in a vision and assures Abram that He Himself is his exceedingly great reward. A commentary I read stated that the Canaan was not the reward in view:
“That superlatively multiplied reward of thine.” It is not the Canaan I promise, but the salvation that is to come through the promised seed.

Afterlife would seem to be a natural assumption from this. One thing to keep in mind, these early believers most likely had much more information and understanding than we think or read about in Scripture. There are references to clean and unclean, the meal Abram offered the Angel of the lord on their way to Sodom and Gomorrah has some significance that escapes my memory at the moment, but nevertheless.

Edit to add:
John 8:56  "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad."
Do you think this was Jesus explaining that Abraham understood that when on Mt Moria he understood that this about his Redeemer?
Mark

All Scripture from NKJV

Edited for a friend.
Mark F

Postby Mr Baldy on Fri May 08, 2020 5:08 pm

extravagantchristian wrote:I was reading genesis from the beginning and noticed that when God told Adam and Eve that they would die for their sins "from dust you came and dust you shall return", he didn't say anything about life after death, heaven, hell or a judgment

Hi EC -

In reference to the Subject of your Thread - I think Job, which I believe is the oldest Book of the Bible, references the after life:

Job 19:25-26 - New American Standard Bible

25) As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, And at the last He will take His stand on the earth. 26) “Even after my skin is destroyed, Yet from my flesh I shall see God;
Mr Baldy

Postby Jay Ross on Fri May 08, 2020 5:49 pm

Hello
In speaking to the OP, I would believe that Genesis 2:17 is speaking of the Second death that is to occur at the end of the Age of the Ages, that God had set in place from the beginning of Man's time.

God in His offer to Cain was one of hope and not destruction and that if he could overcome his sin(s) with God's help, then Satan would have not hold on him because of his sin. From the Genesis Account, Cain did not do well and as a consequence he went further into sinning against God.

In Genesis 12:1, God Promised Abraham the whole earth. In Genesis 12:7 God promised to give Abraham's descendants the whole earth, and this covenantal promise reaches to the end of the Age of the Ages.

In Genesis 13:14-17, God promises to give all of the earth that he and his descendants would see after walking the length and breath of God's earth that he would show them.

Now logically, if God was going to give the whole earth under the heavens to His saints as described in Daniel 7:27, Abraham descendants, i.e. God's Saints, then all of God's Saints over all of the Age of the Ages would receive their inheritance of the whole earth which gives a hint that the Saints will be raise up at the end of the Age of the Ages to receive God's Promise of the whole earth.

I think that the argument can be made that from the very beginning God has made know His intentions for all of mankind with regards to the afterlife.

Shalom
Jay Ross

Postby Jericho on Fri May 08, 2020 7:20 pm

God walked with Adam, so we can presume they talked about many things that were never recorded in the Bible. Some of that knowledge would be passed down from generation to generation, although it later became corrupted. This is why I think every ancient culture believed in some deity and an afterlife.

I think they had more knowledge about these things than we realize. Consider this, Adam lived 900 years. He was still alive when Noah's father Lamech was alive. Noah's son Shem was still alive when Abraham was alive. So that knowledge could have easily been passed down with only a few generations removed.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby extravagantchristian on Fri May 08, 2020 9:43 pm

Jericho wrote:God walked with Adam, so we can presume they talked about many things that were never recorded in the Bible. Some of that knowledge would be passed down from generation to generation, although it later became corrupted. This is why I think every ancient culture believed in some deity and an afterlife.

I think they had more knowledge about these things than we realize. Consider this, Adam lived 900 years. He was still alive when Noah's father Lamech was alive. Noah's son Shem was still alive when Abraham was alive. So that knowledge could have easily been passed down with only a few generations removed.

Maybe, but I'm not sure because why would God tell Adam that he would have life after death before he ever told Adam that he would die? How would that go? "In the day you eat of the tree you shall surely die, and then go to heaven fofever.... It's possible though.
Also I don't think God had any more fellowship with Adam after he left the garden.
extravagantchristian

Postby Jericho on Fri May 08, 2020 10:12 pm

extravagantchristian wrote:Maybe, but I'm not sure because why would God tell Adam that he would have life after death before he ever told Adam that he would die? How would that go? "In the day you eat of the tree you shall surely die, and then go to heaven fofever.... It's possible though.
Also I don't think God had any more fellowship with Adam after he left the garden.

Well, we don't know how long Adam was in the Garden. It could have been years, decades, or centuries. While fellowship may have been limited after he left the garden I don't think it was eliminated completely. He talked to Cain and Noah after the fall, so why not Adam? In any case, I don't believe Adam was ever originally supposed to die. So would Adam even understand what physical death really meant before the fall having never been exposed to it?
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Loop on Sat May 09, 2020 6:01 am

. So would Adam even understand what physical death really meant before the fall having never been exposed to it

So do you not believe that God Would have explained death and made it clear to him when he told him not to eat of the tree in the midst of the garden when he told him that if he ate of it he would die ?
Psalms 91
1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Loop

Postby Exit40 on Sat May 09, 2020 6:39 am

shorttribber wrote:Look at Hebrews 11: 13-16 it says Abraham looked for a "Heavenly Country" a "Heavenly City" in those verses.

The Heavenly Hope

¶ These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland.

And truly if they had called to mind that country from which they had come out, they would have had opportunity to return.

But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.

NKJV

God Bless You

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby extravagantchristian on Sat May 09, 2020 7:14 am

Exit40, good point.

Loop, God could have told Adam that he would die but until he seen death take place he might not fully understand it. It's like how we have a hard time understanding that we will exist forever because all we know is that everything dies, maybe it was hard for Adam to picture that anything would die and stop existing.
extravagantchristian

Postby 4givenmuch on Sat May 09, 2020 7:42 am

I might be missing something here. My understanding is that Adam and Eve were created Spiritual Beings in God's image. Much like we will be when we see Him face to face. In fact, the reason they didn't know they were naked was because they were filled with God's glory. Then when they sinned, the blessing of being filled with the Spirit was taken. (constant communion with God) Thus, it's a Spiritual death. The physical death also came, but like all Old Testament saints, it was temporary, until all could be atoned for. So yes, to the dust they returned, but Jesus made the way...
Seek Humility!
4givenmuch
Supporting Member

Postby 4givenmuch on Sat May 09, 2020 7:52 am

Adam was created in God's image, and spent much time in His presence, so he likely had a better grasp on things than we do. Why would God not have fellowship with Adam anymore?... God loved him and desired his fellowship, that is why Adam was created in His image... to have someone to love who could love back. (A God whose essence is love would need an object to bestow His love on and even reciprocate.)

I think the interaction would be different because the Holy Spirit was no longer dwelling in him, (even that was to protect Adam from eternal damnation... if he ate from the tree of life in his newly sinful state, could have been a permanent death sentence) but that doesn't necessarily mean there was no fellowship. They still brought offerings and God spoke to Cain "If you do the right thing your sacrifice will be accepted."
Seek Humility!
4givenmuch
Supporting Member

Postby Jericho on Sat May 09, 2020 8:33 am

Loop wrote:
. So would Adam even understand what physical death really meant before the fall having never been exposed to it

So do you not believe that God Would have explained death and made it clear to him when he told him not to eat of the tree in the midst of the garden when he told him that if he ate of it he would die ?

I think God view's death a little differently than we do. To God, death is spiritual separation from him. Now, maybe God could have explained what physical death meant, but if Adam had no experience with physical death how could he comprehend it? It's like trying to explain what a rainbow looks like to someone born blind. They may get the gist of it, but they can't fully comprehend it because they have never seen one.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Loop on Sat May 09, 2020 8:43 am

I think God view's death a little differently than we do. To God, death is spiritual separation from him

True.

It's like trying to explain what a rainbow looks like to someone born blind. They may get the gist of it, but they can't fully comprehend it because they have never seen one.

I see what your saying..
Psalms 91
1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Loop

Return to Prophecy Questions/Answers