Hosea 6:1-3

Where anyone can ask or answer a question.

Hosea 6:1-3

Postby Ready1 on Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:10 pm

Hos 6:1  Come, and let us return unto the LORD: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up. 
Hos 6:2  After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight. 
Hos 6:3  Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the LORD: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth. 

Would anybody like to take a crack at the meaning of this passage?
Just observing.

E.
Ready1

Re: Hosea 6:1-3

Postby shorttribber on Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:32 pm

It's a wonderful piece of scripture. I will, but doing family stuff this weekend. Got two bunnies and two baby chicks, kids almost in heaven with joy!
The Wisest men have changed their Counsels and Resolves upon second thoughts, much more upon experience, and approaching evils not at first discovered. Rev. Herbert Croft, 1675

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Find seven years of tribulation plainly stated in the Bible.
shorttribber

Postby Mark F on Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:04 pm

Ready1 wrote:
Hos 6:1  Come, and let us return unto the LORD: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up. 
Hos 6:2  After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight. 
Hos 6:3  Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the LORD: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth. 

I have thought of it in two ways, both prophetic as they were future from Hosea. One nearer in Christ's crucifixion, one further in His return.

Isaiah 63 says that as Israel suffered, God suffered, so I think, we can look as Hosea in the same sense.
Isa 63:8  For He said, "Surely they are My people, Children who will not lie." So He became their Savior. 
Isa 63:9  In all their affliction He was afflicted, And the Angel of His Presence saved them; In His love and in His pity He redeemed them; And He bore them and carried them All the days of old. 
Isa 63:10  But they rebelled and grieved His Holy Spirit; So He turned Himself against them as an enemy, And He fought against them.

So then in Hosea 6 I would say we need to look back at chaper 5
Hos 5:14  For I will be like a lion to Ephraim, And like a young lion to the house of Judah. I, even I, will tear them and go away; I will take them away, and no one shall rescue. 
Hos 5:15  I will return again to My place Till they acknowledge their offense. Then they will seek My face; In their affliction they will earnestly seek Me."

He strikes them then goes away to his place till they acknowledge their offense, then they will seek Him.

I would say Hos 6 could be a prophecy, a day is as a thousand years, so following Hos 5:15, after two days they acknowledge their offense (2,000 years) since they crucified Him and He went to His place (Hos 5:15) and on the third day they shall be "raised up" and live under the personal reign of Christ.

All the commentators I have read don't have much on it....so that is a short version.
Mark

All Scripture from NKJV

Edited for a friend.
Mark F

Postby Jay Ross on Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:33 pm

Here is Jeremiah's lament for Israel because of the visitation of the sins of the fathers of the first two ages of Israel's existence, being visited upon their children and the children's children, (Ex 20:4-6) in the third and the fourth age of their existence, until the fullness in time of the visitation is complete.

Lamentations 5: - A Prayer for Restoration

5:1 Remember, O Lord, what has come upon us;
Look, and behold our reproach!
2 Our inheritance has been turned over to aliens,
And our houses to foreigners.
3 We have become orphans and waifs,
Our mothers are like widows.

4 We pay for the water we drink,
And our wood comes at a price.
5 They pursue at our heels;
We labor and have no rest.
6 We have given our hand to the Egyptians
And the Assyrians, to be satisfied with bread.

7 Our fathers sinned and are no more,
But we bear their iniquities.
8 Servants rule over us;
There is none to deliver us from their hand.
9 We get our bread at the risk of our lives,
Because of the sword in the wilderness.

10 Our skin is hot as an oven,
Because of the fever of famine.
11 They ravished the women in Zion,
The maidens in the cities of Judah.
12 Princes were hung up by their hands,
And elders were not respected.
13 Young men ground at the millstones;
Boys staggered under loads of wood.
14 The elders have ceased gathering at the gate,
And the young men from their music.

15 The joy of our heart has ceased;
Our dance has turned into mourning.
16 The crown has fallen from our head.
Woe to us, for we have sinned!
17 Because of this our heart is faint;
Because of these things our eyes grow dim;
18 Because of Mount Zion which is desolate,
With foxes walking about on it.

19 You, O Lord, remain forever;
Your throne from generation to generation
20 Why do You forget us forever,
And forsake us for so long a time?

21 Turn us back to You, O Lord, and we will be restored;
Renew our days as of old,
22 Unless You have utterly rejected us,
And are very angry with us!

It is my understanding that 19 and 20 is speaking of the third and the fourth age of their existence while verse 21 is a plea for God to turn them back and to restore them by the renewing of the days of old at Mt Sinai.

Shalom
Jay Ross

Postby Exit40 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:36 am

Ready1 wrote:

Ready1, this is another passage that, to me anyway, speaks of the 2000 year time period, also called a gap, when the Jews are removed from Israel as a nation for two days, rather 2000 years, and revived for the last day, also called the 1000 year Millenium. As it is posted here do I need post it on the Daniel 9 thread ?

God Bless You

'David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Ready1 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:19 am

Mark F wrote:
Ready1 wrote:

I have thought of it in two ways, both prophetic as they were future from Hosea. One nearer in Christ's crucifixion, one further in His return.

Isaiah 63 says that as Israel suffered, God suffered, so I think, we can look as Hosea in the same sense.
Isa 63:8  For He said, "Surely they are My people, Children who will not lie." So He became their Savior. 
Isa 63:9  In all their affliction He was afflicted, And the Angel of His Presence saved them; In His love and in His pity He redeemed them; And He bore them and carried them All the days of old. 
Isa 63:10  But they rebelled and grieved His Holy Spirit; So He turned Himself against them as an enemy, And He fought against them.

So then in Hosea 6 I would say we need to look back at chaper 5
Hos 5:14  For I will be like a lion to Ephraim, And like a young lion to the house of Judah. I, even I, will tear them and go away; I will take them away, and no one shall rescue. 
Hos 5:15  I will return again to My place Till they acknowledge their offense. Then they will seek My face; In their affliction they will earnestly seek Me."

He strikes them then goes away to his place till they acknowledge their offense, then they will seek Him.

I would say Hos 6 could be a prophecy, a day is as a thousand years, so following Hos 5:15, after two days they acknowledge their offense (2,000 years) since they crucified Him and He went to His place (Hos 5:15) and on the third day they shall be "raised up" and live under the personal reign of Christ.

All the commentators I have read don't have much on it....so that is a short version.

Your commentary on Hosea 6 as a prophecy is the same as my understanding, but I have not coupled it with the prior Chapter. It makes so much sense because the Lord is calling all Israel into account in Hos 5. In fact He mentions by name:

1) House of Israel: 5:1, 3, 5
2) Ephraim: 5:3, 5, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14
3) Judah: 5:5, 10, 12, 13, 14
4) Benjamin: 5:8

House of Israel= 10 northern tribes
Judah & Benjamin= 2 southern tribes

Ephraim is the northern tribe which first went for idol worship and forsaking God. (If I remember correctly )

From the time of the death of Christ to 1948 when Israel was "born" would be over two days (2000 years). So if this is the correct understanding and we are now in the 3rd day, will they be "raised up" sometime soon? Or has this already begun and does the "raising up" in this passage signify the same thing as the coming together of the dry bones in Eze 37? And when does the Lord put his spirit within them?

Just musing. :grin: :grin: :grin:
Just observing.

E.
Ready1

Return to Prophecy Questions/Answers