"Christ"

Where anyone can ask or answer a question.

"Christ"

Postby extravagantchristian on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:54 am

My question is about the word "Christ"

Why is it not used in the Old Testament?
Is it only a Jewish/Christian term? Or do other religions use it too?

Muslims are awaiting the "Mahdi" But would they also call him "Christ"?

The reason I ask is because in Matthew 24 and Mark 13 Jesus warns that in the last days there would be some who say "I am the Christ"

Does that mean that they are going to claim to be Jesus?

Is the devil going to come in Jesus name? Is he going to USE the Christian faith?

Or will they claim to be a "messiah" is the general sense of the word?

Matthew 24:5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many.

Matthew 24:23 “Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There!’ do not believe it.

Matthew 24:24 For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.
Last edited by extravagantchristian on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew 1:22
So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophets
extravagantchristian

Re: "Christ"

Postby Jericho on Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:08 pm

Christ simply means "anointed one" or "chosen one". It comes from the Greek word Christos, which is why you see is used only in the New Testament. But it is equivalent to Messiah (Mashiach) in the Old Testament.

For example, Muslims are awaiting the "Mahdi" But would they also call him "Christ"?

They probably wouldn't call him Christ since it is a word that is associated with Jesus, and they see Jesus as only a prophet and believe God has no son. But the Mahdi would be their messiah.

No doubt some will claim to be Jesus, they are people doing that now. I suppose messiah is a more ambiguous term, and Christ is a more specific term. But rather they use the term Christ or Messiah the implication is clear who they are claiming to be.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby extravagantchristian on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:40 pm

Jericho wrote:Christ simply means "anointed one" or "chosen one". It comes from the Greek word Christos, which is why you see is used only in the New Testament. But it is equivalent to Messiah (Mashiach) in the Old Testament.

That makes sense.

Yeah some people have already claimed to be Jesus but none have done signs and wonders to deceive anyone.

What I'm wondering is will the Antichrist/false prophet use the bible to deceive people?

1Thess 5
2 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, 2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come. 3 Let no one deceive you by any means;

This verse makes it sound like the AC will use Bible teaching, and try to say that JESUS has come. Someone is going to claim to be Jesus.
(That's why Jesus made it clear that we won't miss his coming, we'll all see him coming in the clouds at the same time)

I can imagine if people see someone in power claiming to be Jesus, doing "great signs and wonders" it would be hard for some to not believe it.

Matthew 24:9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake.

Also, If the antichrist is going to use the bible to deceive christians, he could say that God has changed the rules in the past and he has changed them again, meaning in the OT jews were commanded to kill each other for committing certain sins, and also commanded kill their enemies. Jesus was legally put to death for blasphemy. He could use that teaching to cause christians to turn on eachother in the last days.
Matthew 1:22
So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophets
extravagantchristian

Postby Jericho on Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:43 pm

What I'm wondering is will the Antichrist/false prophet use the bible to deceive people?

I don't know. I suspect he will claim to be all things to all people. Christ to the Christians, Mahdi to the Muslims, Krishna to the Hindus, etc. All wrapped together with interfaithism.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Abiding in His Word on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:02 pm

I found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_claimed_to_be_Jesus list of people who have claimed to be Jesus going back to the 18th century. At the bottom of the page is a list of others who make claims of a type of savior.

I was shocked at the number. :eek:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Return to Prophecy Questions/Answers