A Just Weight and Measure

Where anyone can ask or answer a question.

A Just Weight and Measure

Postby shorttribber on Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:36 pm

Justification of the Literal and Spiritual sense of scripture.

..................................................A Right Balance.....................................................

That's what this thread is about.

First and most common justification....
Context.

Another justification can be Examples or Scriptural parallels.....
Comparing scripture with scripture.

Another can be Language types or Forms.......
Hebraic forms of writing.

Another can be Historic Examples....
Prior prophecy fulfilled.

Please list justifications you may have and personally use to add politely and respectfully to this discussion.

How do we Justly measure the Wheat? How do we Deal the Bread of Life to the Hungry?

We have the Food for a Starving World..............How do we justify the Scales we use?

Amos 8:4-6

Hear this, you who trample the needy, to do away with the humble of the land, saying, "When will the new moon be over, So that we may sell grain, And the sabbath, that we may open the wheat market, To make the bushel smaller and the shekel bigger, And to cheat with dishonest scales, So as to buy the helpless for money And the needy for a pair of sandals, And that we may sell the refuse of the wheat?"

Proverbs 20:10
Differing weights and differing measures, Both of them are abominable to the LORD.
Proverbs 11:1
A false balance is an abomination to the LORD, But a just weight is His delight.
Proverbs 16:11
A just balance and scales belong to the LORD; All the weights of the bag are His concern.
Proverbs 20:23
Differing weights are an abomination to the LORD, And a false scale is not good.
The Wisest men have changed their Counsels and Resolves upon second thoughts, much more upon experience, and approaching evils not at first discovered. Rev. Herbert Croft, 1675

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Find seven years of tribulation plainly stated in the Bible.
shorttribber

Re: A Just Weight and Measure

Postby mark s on Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:47 pm

Personally, I find that in nearly all cases, when I have a differing view of a passage of Scripture from someone else, I can see where they have taken a particular part and negated the wording used by declaring this part "allegorical", or "symbolic".

Oftentimes I realize where I've failed myself to give the full significance of what is written. I find that the more literal the reading, the greater revelation of truth. And I can know it's truth. It's what it says, right there. No need to make any mental leaps, just read it and believe it.

As I'm giving my understandings of Scripture over a public forum, I take very serious James' admonition, let not many of you be teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. So be it. I'm to be held to a higher standard.

And because of that, I will only present as truth what I can show specifically from the text of Scripture. And if something is an allegory, let the Bible declare it, and what it means.

Much love!
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby shorttribber on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:09 pm

mark s wrote:Personally, I find that in nearly all cases, when I have a differing view of a passage of Scripture from someone else, I can see where they have taken a particular part and negated the wording used by declaring this part "allegorical", or "symbolic".

Oftentimes I realize where I've failed myself to give the full significance of what is written. I find that the more literal the reading, the greater revelation of truth. And I can know it's truth. It's what it says, right there. No need to make any mental leaps, just read it and believe it.

As I'm giving my understandings of Scripture over a public forum, I take very serious James' admonition, let not many of you be teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. So be it. I'm to be held to a higher standard.

And because of that, I will only present as truth what I can show specifically from the text of Scripture. And if something is an allegory, let the Bible declare it, and what it means.

Much love!
Mark

Thank you for joining in mark :hugs:

let's look at a couple texts.........

Hosea 11
1 When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.
2 As they called them, so they went from them: they sacrificed unto Baalim, and burned incense to graven images.

Math 2
14 When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:
15 And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.

Which text is spiritual and which text is the Literal interpretation?

Does the Bible declare the Allegory (I prefer "spiritual meaning", rather than allegory), or does it declare instead the fulfillment?
The Wisest men have changed their Counsels and Resolves upon second thoughts, much more upon experience, and approaching evils not at first discovered. Rev. Herbert Croft, 1675

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

shorttribber

Postby shorttribber on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:18 pm

mark s wrote:Personally, I find that in nearly all cases, when I have a differing view of a passage of Scripture from someone else, I can see where they have taken a particular part and negated the wording used by declaring this part "allegorical", or "symbolic".

Negating the wording is only a personal perception it seems. Spiritual wording goes much deeper and is often more powerful than the literal, generally speaking.

I think Jesus has proven that......in many ways.

Do you have a particular example of "negating the wording", that we may Weigh and Justify the True Meaning?

shorttribber

Postby mark s on Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:40 am

shorttribber wrote: Spiritual wording goes much deeper and is often more powerful than the literal, generally speaking.

Hi ST,

Is that so? Is there some sort of problem with saying what you mean? Personally, I find that to be fantastically powerful, especially when you are God.

I find that people sometimes simply don't believe something can be so, and so they re-work it in their minds to come up with something different.

Like Israel. Hundreds of years ago, people didn't think Israel would reappear, and so they came up with "replacement theology". And so many people even now still believe it, and re-interpret the Bible to support it. But it doesn't. If you stick with the plain reading.

I find power in the simple truths of Scripture. I think Scripture is deep no matter how you characterize it. Wouldn't it be fair to say that ALL Scripture is spiritual?

Much love!
Mark
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby mark s on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:58 am

shorttribber wrote:let's look at a couple texts.........

Hosea 11
1 When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.
2 As they called them, so they went from them: they sacrificed unto Baalim, and burned incense to graven images.

Math 2
14 When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:
15 And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.

Which text is spiritual and which text is the Literal interpretation?

Does the Bible declare the Allegory (I prefer "spiritual meaning", rather than allegory), or does it declare instead the fulfillment?

Hi ST,

What is the allegory here? Didn't God call His Son from Egypt? What are you suggesting that is allegorical of? This is something I see as literal. I think that is the way Matthew presents it.

Much love!
mark
mark s

Postby mark s on Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:09 pm

shorttribber wrote:
Do you have a particular example of "negating the wording", that we may Weigh and Justify the True Meaning?

Hi ST,

Let me ask you on this one:

4 In that day, saith the LORD, I will smite every horse with astonishment, and his rider with madness: and I will open mine eyes upon the house of Judah, and will smite every horse of the people with blindness.

God is going to make every horse and rider literally blind and go crazy?

When you posted this, was it to say that your view is that the horses and riders are not struck in the way described here? With astonishment, madness, and blindness?

To answer the question asked, I would answer, it's what it says, so, yes.

Is your answer different?

Much love!
Mark
mark s

Return to Prophecy Questions/Answers