Mosul Offensive gets Surprising New Allies

Where anyone can ask or answer a question.

Mosul Offensive gets Surprising New Allies

Postby Ready1 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:14 pm

October 29, 2016, 7:18 PM
REUTERS

SHURA, Iraq  -- State-sanctioned Shiite militias joined Iraq’s Mosul offensive on Saturday with a pre-dawn assault to the west, where they hope to complete the encirclement of the city held by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, or ISIS, and sever supply lines from neighboring Syria. 

Other Iraqi forces aided by U.S.-led airstrikes and heavy artillery meanwhile drove ISIS from the town of Shura, south of Mosul, where the militants had rounded up civilians to be used as human shields.

The twin thrusts come nearly two weeks into the offensive to retake Iraq’s second largest city, but most of the fighting is still taking place in towns and villages far from its outskirts, and the entire operation is expected to take weeks, if not months.

The involvement of the Iranian-backed Shiite militias has raised concerns that the battle for Mosul, a Sunni-majority city, could aggravate sectarian tensions. Rights groups have accused the militias of abuses against civilians in other Sunni areas retaken from ISIS, accusations the militia leaders deny.

More

This is about as recent a headline as I could get. My question is concerning the book of Nahum.

After extolling the God of Heaven, Nahum begins telling how God will judge Nineveh (Mosul). The following are just a few of the statements of Nahum

Nah 1:14 And this is what the LORD says concerning the Assyrians in Nineveh: "You will have no more children to carry on your name. I will destroy all the idols in the temples of your gods. I am preparing a grave for you because you are despicable!"

Nah 2:11 Where now is that great Nineveh, that den filled with young lions? It was a place where people—like lions and their cubs—walked freely and without fear.
Nah 2:12 The lion tore up meat for his cubs and strangled prey for his mate. He filled his den with prey, his caverns with his plunder.
Nah 2:13 "I am your enemy!" says the LORD of Heaven's Armies. "Your chariots will soon go up in smoke. Your young men will be killed in battle. Never again will you plunder conquered nations. The voices of your proud messengers will be heard no more."

Nah 3:1 What sorrow awaits Nineveh, the city of murder and lies! She is crammed with wealth and is never without victims.
Nah 3:15 But the fire will devour you; the sword will cut you down. The enemy will consume you like locusts, devouring everything they see. There will be no escape, even if you multiply like swarming locusts.

Are we seeing a partial fulfillment of Nahum's prophecy or is that yet to come? It looks pretty grim for Mosul at this point.

Zephaniah 2 also records God's judgment against Nineveh (Mosul) but it appears to be at the same time as all the final judgments of the nations surrounding Israel. Here is that passage:

Zep 2:13 And the LORD will strike the lands of the north with His fist, destroying the land of Assyria. He will make its great capital, Nineveh, a desolate wasteland, parched like a desert.
Zep 2:14 The proud city will become a pasture for flocks and herds, and all sorts of wild animals will settle there. The desert owl and screech owl will roost on its ruined columns, their calls echoing through the gaping windows. Rubble will block all the doorways, and the cedar paneling will be exposed to the weather.
Zep 2:15 This is the boisterous city, once so secure. "I am the greatest!" it boasted. "No other city can compare with me!" But now, look how it has become an utter ruin, a haven for wild animals. Everyone passing by will laugh in derision and shake a defiant fist.

I'm curious what you think?

A final question: Has Nineveh/Mosul ever been completely destroyed in time past?
Just observing.

E.
Ready1

Re: Mosul Offensive gets Surprising New Allies

Postby Exit40 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:09 am

Here is some background reading, quite extensiv if anyone wants to get into it...

Nineveh and the Assyrian Empire
The Assyrian empire became extremely great and powerful with NINEVEH as its center, all the way until its final destruction by the Chaldeans and the Medes. Nineveh was located in a very desirable place, east of the Tigris River in a very fertile plain. Today the ancient ruins are located just opposite of the present day city of Mosul. NINEVEH was also famous in the ancient world because it was a center for the worship of Ishtar (Astarte) the fertility goddess. The size of NINEVEH is revealed in the Bible, in Jonah 3:3 and 4:11 (A 3 days journey in breadth with over 120,000 people). The classical writers describe NINEVEH as being over 60 miles wide. The city of Nineveh is described in Genesis 10:11 as having been founded by Nimrod, the hunter who built the tower of Babel and led the world into a rebellion against God. The Old Testament also mentions NINEVEH in relation to the prophet Jonah who preached judgment against NINEVEH, and afterward the city repented. The prophet Nahum predicted NINEVEH\'s destruction which came in 612 BC, and the famous city was never rebuilt. In the New Testament Jesus commended the inhabitants of NINEVEH for repenting at the preaching of Jonah, while condemning the Jewish leaders for resisting His own message.

http://www.bible-history.com/biblestudy/nineveh.html

My comment ... Yes Nineveh was destroyed and remains so today. I posted an article in Turkey thread that is surprisingly descriptive of old Nineveh, about Mosul which is across the Tigris from there. Here is that link...

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk ... side-mosul

I doubt there are many Christians in Mosul today, or that the Gospel is being preached there. I also doubt the city will be completely destroyed, or that isis will be completely driven out. The question for me is who and how will Mosul be governed post liberation. It is the center of and nearby the old capitol of the Assyrian empire, from which the antichrist will eventually come I believe. This event is worthy of our watching I believe, not just for the news of now, but for the future.

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby kirthril on Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:50 pm

I doubt there are many Christians in Mosul today, or that the Gospel is being preached there. I also doubt the city will be completely destroyed, or that isis will be completely driven out. The question for me is who and how will Mosul be governed post liberation. It is the center of and nearby the old capitol of the Assyrian empire, from which the antichrist will eventually come I believe. This event is worthy of our watching I believe, not just for the news of now, but for the future.

God Bless

David

If Erdogan of Turkey has his way, everything from Aleppo to Mosul will be future Turkish territory (ancient Assyria). I believe it was pointed out that these areas of northern Syria and Iraq are heavily populated by ethnic "Turkmen".
"It is not who I am...But what I do that defines me" -Batman, Batman Begins
kirthril

Postby Exit40 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:34 am

kirthril wrote:If Erdogan of Turkey has his way, everything from Aleppo to Mosul will be future Turkish territory (ancient Assyria). I believe it was pointed out that these areas of northern Syria and Iraq are heavily populated by ethnic "Turkmen".

Not heavily populated, but certainly well represented. There are also Kurds, Yazidi's, Arabs, and other minorities. But it is the Turkmen, Erdogans own as he likes to call them, who he will protect. And he will call any sunni muslim a brother. But they are not family like Turkmen.

God Bless You

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby kirthril on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:21 pm

Exit40 wrote:
kirthril wrote:If Erdogan of Turkey has his way, everything from Aleppo to Mosul will be future Turkish territory (ancient Assyria). I believe it was pointed out that these areas of northern Syria and Iraq are heavily populated by ethnic "Turkmen".

Not heavily populated, but certainly well represented. There are also Kurds, Yazidi's, Arabs, and other minorities. But it is the Turkmen, Erdogans own as he likes to call them, who he will protect. And he will call any sunni muslim a brother. But they are not family like Turkmen.

God Bless You

David

I saw a map published by some Turkish news paper about a month ago, propaganda obviously, that showed a "greater turkey" or something like that? It envisioned Turkish borders extending into Iraq as part of some Turkic-Iraqi agreement or treaty that took place post WW1?

The map was similar to this one:
http://www.biyokulule.com/sawiro/sawira ... urkey2.jpg
Northern Syria and Iraq gobbled up. Northeastern Greece, Southern and southeastern Bulgaria, parts of Iran, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Georgia.
"It is not who I am...But what I do that defines me" -Batman, Batman Begins
kirthril

Postby Exit40 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:42 pm

kirthril wrote:I saw a map published by some Turkish news paper about a month ago, propaganda obviously, that showed a "greater turkey" or something like that? It envisioned Turkish borders extending into Iraq as part of some Turkic-Iraqi agreement or treaty that took place post WW1?

The map was similar to this one:
http://www.biyokulule.com/sawiro/sawira ... urkey2.jpg
Northern Syria and Iraq gobbled up. Northeastern Greece, Southern and southeastern Bulgaria, parts of Iran, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Georgia.

Can you say ... Neo Ottoman empire ? I can. Turkish troops are in Northern Syria and Iraq right now. Not in great numbers, not attacking isis much, mostly Kurds, PKK and PYD, lots of air attacks.

God Bless you

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Return to Prophecy Questions/Answers