Is there "time" in eternity?

Where anyone can ask or answer a question.

Is there "time" in eternity?

Postby Ready1 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:52 pm

When The Roll is Called Up Yonder

When the trumpet of the Lord shall sound, and time shall be no more,
And the morning breaks, eternal, bright and fair;
When the saved of earth shall gather over on the other shore,
And the roll is called up yonder, I'll be there.

When the roll is called up yonder,
When the roll is called up yonder, I'll be there.

Does the song have it right or wrong? What is your scriptural reason?
Just observing.

E.
Ready1

Re: Is there "time" in eternity?

Postby mark s on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:05 pm

My understanding of "time" is how we perceive sequence and duration. Everything I read about the eternal state speaks to me about things happening, therefore, there will be a sequence of events that have a duration.

So, yes on time.
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby Jay Ross on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:39 pm

The answer depends on which "time frame" we are considering. If we are considering man's time frame of reference, then YES time will be no more. If however we are considering God's time frame of references, then NO, God's time frame of reference will continue for ever and ever with no end.

Shalom

Jay Ross
Jay Ross

Postby Jericho on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:52 pm

I think first you need to define what time is. But I imagine it will be like it is in heaven now. In heaven there is no entropy, it is an eternal present. There may be some measure of time, but not how we think of it. Otherwise there couldn't be things such as singing, because singing requires tempo and tempo requires a measure of time. So I guess the answer is a bit of yes and no.
Last edited by Jericho on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Sanderson on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:10 pm

mark s wrote:My understanding of "time" is how we perceive sequence and duration. Everything I read about the eternal state speaks to me about things happening, therefore, there will be a sequence of events that have a duration.

So, yes on time.

A very good way of putting it. Reminded me of this quote:
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

Albert Einstein
Sanderson

Postby mark s on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:25 pm

Sanderson wrote:
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

Albert Einstein

:lol:

I like that !
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Postby Keeping Alert on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:17 pm

The interesting thing about Light is that when we are traveling at the speed of light, apparently time stops or is frozen for that individual. Events still happen but it has no reference to time (whatever that means I am not quite sure)

We are in the light...

Makes for very interesting food for thought...
Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

πατερ δοξασον σου το ονομα
Father, glorify thy name.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
Keeping Alert

Postby mark s on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:40 pm

Keeping Alert wrote:The interesting thing about Light is that when we are traveling at the speed of light, apparently time stops or is frozen for that individual. Events still happen but it has no reference to time (whatever that means I am not quite sure)

We are in the light...

Makes for very interesting food for thought...

I think the idea is that there is still a time reference, but it changes in relation to your velocity when compared to the velocities of other objects.

So that time passes for two objects at different velocities, but differently, in relation to each one's individual velocity.
mark s

Postby 1whowaits on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:03 pm

Peter stated that with the Lord a day is like a thousand years and thousand years like a day. When one is eternal time is relative, but time still exists. In scripture God still speaks of measured amounts of time, even though He has always existed.
1whowaits

Postby SueAnn on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:33 pm

Well, I am going to climb way out on a limb and voice a very different opinion.
It always confused me that the bible says (somewhere, don't remember where) that there will be no tears in heaven. Did not seem logical to me.

My adopted sister lost both her parents at age 17. She was left on earth. She had tears aplenty missing her Mom and Dad. How could her parents be happy in heaven without their little girl? Wouldn't they be crying, too?
I asked God to help me understand. He did. It was a real eye-opener.

Time is an earthly dimension. Eternity does not mean time forever and ever.
ETERNITY means the ABSENSE of time.
When my sister's parents got to heaven, their little girl was there already. They never had to miss her.

Very complex, but amazingly simple.
ﺗﻜﻮﻳﻦ 12
وَقَالَ الرَّبُّ لأَبْرَامَ: «اتْرُكْ أَرْضَكَ وَعَشِيرَتَكَ وَبَيْتَ أَبِيكَ وَاذْهَبْ إِلَى الأَرْضِ الَّتِي أُرِيكَ،
فَأَجْعَلَ مِنْكَ أُمَّةً كَبِيرَةً وَأُبَارِكَكَ وَأُعَظِّمَ اسْمَكَ، وَتَكُونَ بَرَكَةً (لِكَثِيرِينَ).
َأُبَارِكُ مُبَارِكِيكَ وَأَلْعَنُ لاعِنِيكَ، وَتَتَبَارَكُ فِيكَ جَمِيعُ أُمَمِ الأَرْضِ »
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Postby 1whowaits on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:08 pm

SueA, actually scripture does not state that there will be no tears in heaven. Rev 21 indicates that after the millenium and the GWTJ, when there is a new heaven and earth, when we dwell together with God in the New Jerusalem on earth, 'He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death, or mourning or crying or pain.' In Heaven, in Rev 7, when the great multitude is described it is stated 'God will wipe away every tear from their eyes'.

So there will still be crying, apparently even in heaven or up to the point one arrives in heaven, until after the 1,000 year reign of Christ.

Time is a means of measurement in the physical world, but it is also a method of order, giving order to the events in the creation, giving order to the recording of events and deeds. God places emphasis on deeds and the recording of deeds, which would be difficult to document without time- 'The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books' Rev 20.

If we never did anything, if we never accomplished anything, there would be no need of time, there would be no need of forward movement. But in this life it appears that God wants us to move forward, to accomplish, to make use of time, because our time here has limits.

In the life to come there will be no limits on time, but no doubt we will not be idle, we will likely be accomplishing undreamed of things, we will likely always be moving forward. This is how He has designed us, and this is how the Lord is, always moving forward, always creating something new, always accomplishing His will. Time is a method of documenting forward movement and accomplishment.
1whowaits

Postby mark s on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:28 am

SueAnn wrote:Well, I am going to climb way out on a limb and voice a very different opinion.
It always confused me that the bible says (somewhere, don't remember where) that there will be no tears in heaven. Did not seem logical to me.

My adopted sister lost both her parents at age 17. She was left on earth. She had tears aplenty missing her Mom and Dad. How could her parents be happy in heaven without their little girl? Wouldn't they be crying, too?
I asked God to help me understand. He did. It was a real eye-opener.

Time is an earthly dimension. Eternity does not mean time forever and ever.
ETERNITY means the ABSENSE of time.
When my sister's parents got to heaven, their little girl was there already. They never had to miss her.

Very complex, but amazingly simple.

Ephesians 2 says we are seated in the heavenly realm together with Christ.

No so much of a limb, imo.
mark s

Postby Seeker on Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:58 am

Rev 10:4 And when the seven thunders had uttered their voices, I was about to write: and I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Seal up those things which the seven thunders uttered, and write them not.
Rev 10:5 And the angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven,
Rev 10:6 And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever,
who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer:
Rev 10:7 But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

Looks like the song is based on Rev 10:6-7 to me. The voice of the 7th angel is the 7th trumpet so according to Rev 10:6-7 the song is precisely correct.

Peace,
Seeker
Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Seeker

Postby Exit40 on Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:38 am

Seeker wrote:Rev 10:4 And when the seven thunders had uttered their voices, I was about to write: and I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Seal up those things which the seven thunders uttered, and write them not.
Rev 10:5 And the angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven,
Rev 10:6 And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever,
who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer:
Rev 10:7 But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

Looks like the song is based on Rev 10:6-7 to me. The voice of the 7th angel is the 7th trumpet so according to Rev 10:6-7 the song is precisely correct.

Peace,
Seeker

I've come to understand that as euphemism for, " times up " ! Not sure of I've heard that song.

God Bless You

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Return to Prophecy Questions/Answers