Define "Saint"

Where anyone can ask or answer a question.

Define "Saint"

Postby christian_m0mmy on Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:29 am

I thought saints were Christians (Believers in Jesus) as in "When the saints come marching in..."

But having a discussion with my aunt brought me to this:

Mat 27:51 And, behold! The veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. And the earth quaked, and the rocks were sheared,
Mat 27:52 and the tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep arose,
Mat 27:53 and coming out of the tomb after His resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many.

Who might these saints be?
Col 2:6 Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him

Col 2:6 You have accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord. Now keep on following him.
christian_m0mmy

Re: Define "Saint"

Postby Sonbeam on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:03 am

Hi Christian_Mommy,

Heb Chap 11 speaks of some of the saints (once we get to heaven, we will know of the many more that were also saved :-) ) that were saved prior to the Cross. They were saved by the Word of God (Jesus Christ) given to them by God before the Cross and they believed.

Heb 11: 11-13

11 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for.

3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

4 By faith Abel brought God a better offering than Cain did. By faith he was commended as righteous, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith Abel still speaks, even though he is dead.

5 By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death: “He could not be found, because God had taken him away.”[a] For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. 6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

7 By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith.

8 By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. 9 By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. 10 For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God. 11 And by faith even Sarah, who was past childbearing age, was enabled to bear children because she[b] considered him faithful who had made the promise. 12 And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.

13 All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance, admitting that they were foreigners and strangers on earth. 14 People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. 15 If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 16 Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

32 And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson and Jephthah, about David and Samuel and the prophets, 33 who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, 34 quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies. 35 Women received back their dead, raised to life again. There were others who were tortured, refusing to be released so that they might gain an even better resurrection. 36 Some faced jeers and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. 37 They were put to death by stoning;[e] they were sawed in two; they were killed by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated— 38 the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, living in caves and in holes in the ground.

39 These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised, 40 since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

And you are right present day believers are called saints also.

Eph 2:19

Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, . . .

:blessyou:

sonbeam
Last edited by Sonbeam on Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sonbeam

Postby Exit40 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:11 am

Christians these days often refer to Saints as those being 'Born Again' into the Spirit. And they do so in reference to those who belong to Christ with the caveat no one can be reborn into Christ prior to His advent on Earth. Yet here in these passages we see rebirth in Old Testament times is not only possible but has been explained in the Scriptures and Laws of the Old Testament which a 'Master of Israel' such as Nicodemus should have known.

Jhn 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
Jhn 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
Jhn 3:9 Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
Jhn 3:10 Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?

Nicodemus was a Pharisee, ruler/judge, and member of the Sanhedrin who should have been very knowledgeable in the Scripture and Law. Therefore in the Old Testament Law, Books of the Prophets, and Chronicles of the history and Kings of Israel it must be written about being reborn, though probably not in those specific words. I have searched for this and have reached the conclusion the words ' Grace in Thy Sight ' and similar expressions are what is Jesus is referring to as being reborn in the Old Testament. This gets very deep, and goes right to the very heart of Christianity as gentiles know it. However, it was the Hebrew people who first had the ability, by Faith and understanding of the Law, to be able to fully understand rebirth as we think of it. As they lived and breathed according to the Law given them their understanding was the acceptance of a Savior in their future, by the Grace and Mercy of God our Father. By Faith they came to know Him, before He even came, remember Moses wrote about Him. So a Saint could be said to be a believer who believes by Faith, not having seen Jesus Himself, and believes He who is sent is the Messiah, the Savior of the world. Whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life. Whosoever, this is eternal, including the little span of time the Earth exists as we know it, from Alpha to Omega.

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby shorttribber on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:37 am

This idea (saint's before the first advent of Christ) is really about the Congregation/Church/People of God from Infancy to perfection.

Think about it, who was Paul addressing in Galatians? How could the "Law of Moses" have been the Gentiles "Schoolmaster"? He was not speaking to Them as Individuals, or You and I as Individuals, he was Speaking of a Growing, Learning and Maturing People/Church/Congregation of God BEFORE Pentecost........and BEFORE Christ came.

Please follow the reading of the book posted in the link (If Possible) the reading style is very different but some of the richest theological reading you'll ever find I think.

Let brother Worchester chime in on this thread ok?

(It is best to begin with page 13 of the book linked below....you can jump to any page by using the top left corner to do so)

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=h ... 1up;seq=15

There is a good thread that addresses this topic also here at the link below...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=69133
The Wisest men have changed their Counsels and Resolves upon second thoughts, much more upon experience, and approaching evils not at first discovered. Rev. Herbert Croft, 1675

Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Find seven years of tribulation plainly stated in the Bible.
shorttribber

Return to Prophecy Questions/Answers