I had to go to the bathroom

Where anyone can ask or answer a question.

I had to go to the bathroom

Postby Douggg on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:43 am

Well that applies to all of us at times, and we miss something like part of a tv program, or maybe some discussion, or maybe a sermon, or maybe a basketball game. You get the picture.

So what has that got to do with a prophecy forum? The goal of this post is to sharpen the way you read a couple of key bible prophecy messages. I will explain the "I had to go to the bathroom."

The olivette discourse. It took place on the Mt. of Olives. However, in Luke 21, it started there - in the temple complex, not on the Mt. of Olives. But let's be sharp in our knowledge, the Luke 21:5-38 narrative is not the Mt. of Olive discourse, but the Luke 21:5-38 narrative.

The olivette discourse is recorded in two books, Matthew 24 and Mark 13. Let's look...same verse 3... Jesus is on the Mt.of Olive, in each chapter!

Matthew 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

Mark 13:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives over against the temple, Peter and James and John and Andrew asked him privately,

futhermore... same first two verses in each chapter! Dealing with the destruction of the temple.

Matthew 24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple. 2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Mark 13:1 And as he went out of the temple, one of his disciples saith unto him, Master, see what manner of stones and what buildings are here! 2 And Jesus answering said unto him, Seest thou these great buildings? there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Okay, we have it established that both chapters start out the same, Jesus leaving the temple complex. Lets look at Mark 12 and Luke 21.... did Mark have to go to the bathroom?

Mark 12 ends with Jesus in the temple complex, preaching on the widow giving her last two mites to the treasury.

Mark 12:43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: 44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

compare with....

Luke 21:2 And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites. 3 And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all: 4 For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had.

Following his preaching on the widow's higher offering, in Luke 21, Jesus continues with the Luke 21:5-38 narrative on the destruction of the temple and the end times. Mark on the other hand, doesn't say a word after the widow's offering message. The narrative found in Luke 21 on the temple and end times is missing. But both Mark 12and Luke 21 contains the widow's two mites... so Mark was there.

But Mark... did he have to go to the bathroom, and wasn't right there close to Jesus when Jesus started talking about the destruction of the temple and end times to hear it? We know that Mark heard about the widow's two mites. But he must have stepped away. We don't know if he had to go to the bathroom or not.

The point being is that the disciples were not there in total of the twelve every second. They come and go out of the scene. This is important to realize in the beginning of both Matthew 24 and Mark 13. Jesus, in Luke 21, had just lectured to the crowd in the temple complex about the temple stones not being left on top of another. Yet as he was coming out of the temple, one of the disciples said..... :shock:
Mark 13:1 And as he went out of the temple, one of his disciples saith unto him, Master, see what manner of stones and what buildings are here! 2 And Jesus answering said unto him, Seest thou these great buildings? there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Jesus's response was same as before that he just lectured about in the temple complex. So what can we conclude?
Well, maybe that disciple wasn't there because he had to go to the bathroom? Probably not, because he was accompanied by other disciples. The point being they weren't there to hear Jesus's narrative in Luke 21:5-38.

Matthew 24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple. 2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Again, the purpose of this post is to get you to thinking, not really a debate. I chose the title of this thread because it will be something that sticks in your mind when you read those and similar passages.

Doug
Last edited by Douggg on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Douggg

Re: I had to go to the bathroom

Postby Douggg on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:12 am

Abiding, maybe this thread should have gone in the Prophecy Questions and Answers forum. Can you move it?

Doug
Douggg

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:28 am

Yep! Will do!
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Douggg on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:41 am

Abiding in His Word wrote:Yep! Will do!

And remove the thread from the prophecy debate forum?
Douggg

Postby Abiding in His Word on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Doug, it's not really there. Because it was started there and was moved, when someone clicks on it to read it or post, they will be taken to the Q&A forum. I can't remove the "shadow" left in the debate forum because of the way the board has been programmed. The little blue arrow to the left of the topic shows it has been moved.

Sorry, but that's the best I can do.
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Mark F on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:17 am

Douggg, that's not the only difference with those three groups of Bible passages.

Matthew and Mark both refernce the "abonination of desolation" and immeadiately talk about "great tribulation" and say "after those days and that tribulation" ...."the sun the moon etc."

Luke mentions rumors of wars, pestilences, signs in the heavens, etc, but Jesus then says "But before all these things" and verses 12-24 are about the times of the Gentiles, not the "great tribulation." Verse 25 picks back up with Matthew and Mark and continues to the return of Jesus.

Most don't see the difference in the book of Luke. This is said to be one reason why the Christians left Jerusalem before 70 AD because of this book. It's dated 60 AD. Matthew and Mark basically skip ahead to the end times.
Mark

All Scripture from NKJV

Find a seven year covenant Jesus makes with anybody plainly stated in Scripture.
Mark F

Return to Prophecy Questions/Answers