Revelation 20:7-8...Gog and Magog

Where anyone can ask or answer a question.

Revelation 20:7-8...Gog and Magog

Postby Woodhenot on Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:06 am

I hear alot of Christians talk about the Magog war from Ezekiel 38. When I read chapter 20:7-8, it talks about the Magog war after 1000 years is expired....Is this 2 different wars? or the same? If someone can explain for me, thanks, <br>
<br>
Woody <p></p><i></i>
Woodhenot

Re: Revelation 20:7-8...Gog and Magog

Postby orangemailman on Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:06 pm

(I pasted this from an earlier response to a question.)<br>
<br>
The question in my mind, for a long time, was, “Is the prophecy Pre-Millennial or Post-Millennial?” West and other Historical Premillennialists put all of Ezekiel 38 and 39 after the millennium noting that “after many days” shows the passing of the 1000 years. Others, because of the language similarity with Armageddon, the pouring out of the spirit, and the putting away of Israel’s sins, put Ezekiel 38 and 39 before the millennium.<br>
<br>
My view: It is both. Certain aspects of the Gog and Magog prophecy will be fulfilled at the second advent, the rest will be fulfilled after the 1000 years are expired according to Revelation 20:7-9. If you study Ezekiel 38 and 39, you can see which sections are Pre-Millennial and which are Post-Millennial. <br>
<br>
The prophecy starts out before the millennium at the building up to the battle of Armageddon. Gog and his country Magog, are on the way (with their allies) to a great battle. (38:1-7) The LORD miraculously intervenes and turns him around. Then, West is correct when he states that “after many days ... in the latter years” is after the millennial kingdom. This time, starting in verse 8, the setting is different than at Armageddon. It has been a time of peace. The villages are unwalled. Gog devises an evil plan. Satan has been loosed and puts the evil thought into his mind. On his way up, nations are asking him what he’s doing. “Have you gathered your army to go and rob the Holy City?” As the people draw near to the mountains of Israel, the LORD is prepared to deal with them. The destruction in Ezekiel 38:22 is almost identical with Revelation 20:9. <br>
<br>
Ezekiel 38:22 “And I will plead against him with pestilence and with blood; and I will rain upon him, and upon his bands, and upon the many people that are with him, an overflowing rain, and great hailstones, fire, and brimstone.”<br>
Revelation 20:9 “...and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.”<br>
<br>
This concludes the millennium. But, the prophecy continues. However, it picks up the premillennial language of 38:1-4. Now in Ezekiel 39 we have more details about what will happen when the LORD will turn them around at the battle of Armageddon. One sixth will be allowed to continue on to the battle to fall on the mountains of Israel. Five sixths will be turned back by the LORD. The LORD will draw on one sixth of them to be slaughtered at the battle of Armageddon. Then, chapter 39 is closed out with entirely premillennial prophecies, i.e. the birds eating the flesh of those slaughtered, the LORD explaining to Israel that it was for their sins that He chastised them, the outpouring of the Holy Spirit. <br>
<br>
Story style. The kingdoms of the world are gathering together against the LORD and against His Messiah. Jesus is back and the response of the nations is, “Let’s kill him.” The ten nation alliance headed up by the man-god is closing in on Israel. The kings of the East with their 200,000,000 army on horseback is miraculously crossing the Euphrates River. [Since I believe the trumpets and bowls are concurrent, I can use the number here.] Also, from the far north, a mighty army advances. Magog being the main army, but with other countries in their alliance, (perhaps some from Africa), are headed up by one man. Before they get to the rendezvous point, the LORD supernaturally turns around all of the armies from the north except one sixth. Five sixths of them are turned around to go back home. <br>
<br>
One sixth of them are drawn on by the LORD to their doom. These self-proclaimed, great nations say, “We are strong, we can defeat this one nation of Israel.” One by one, the LORD Jesus smashes each nation, like a rod of iron smashing clay pots on a shelf. The rock cut without hands becomes a mountain and fills the whole earth ... but ... there’s this problem. One of the nations wasn’t completely dealt with at Armageddon. They never send delegates to Jerusalem to worship. They do not experience the blessings of the kingdom. After the thousand years, when Satan is loosed, he targets them first, knowing their contempt for the King. <br>
<br>
Another Gog arises and begins gathering the people to march on Israel again, as they did 1000 years before. This time, they think, we can defeat them. Before, some of us turned back and did not finish the march. If we all go up, we can do what we did not do before. They are unprotected, living in unwalled villages. We can easily take what we need from any of them. Before they can begin their attack, though, there is a great earthquake. The armies begin fighting and killing each other, and as they do, fire from heaven comes down to burn them to ashes. “Thus will I magnify myself, and sanctify myself; and I will be known in the eyes of many nations, and they shall know that I am the LORD.”<br>
<br>
So I agree with Mr. njfish 17 that the prophecy will be fulfilled at Armageddon itself and not at a separate battle, but also parts will be fulfilled after the Millennium, specifically Ezekiel 38:8-23.<br>
<br>
Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13 <p></p><i></i>
orangemailman

Return to Prophecy Questions/Answers